test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic, do you hate Smirk, the community, or both ?

erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
Legitimate question. Since DR, we have a long list of nerfs, bugs, and "features", that makes the community angry. And the forum a toxic place.

DR :
-Level gap in the 50-60 storyline, forcing the player to grind.
-Upgrind system, costing a lot of resources, for a random result.
-Tau Dewa nerf. People called exploiters.
-Specialization XP cost being insane, while STF xp reward are very low.
-Patrol mission being used as story filler.
-Dil reward from STF nerfed (adv is supposed to be the new elite, but award less).
-Time between post on the forum extended to 5minutes, then reduced to 2m. Still at 2m, while it used to be 30s in the past.

Post DR :
-More XP grind, while many players complained it was too much.
-BOFF revamp, half done, certain skill (like TS III) are currently impossible to train.
-Dil event nerfed. Probably affecting the number 1 thing people did during the event.
-New specialization added. While it seems the majority of players I can speak to haven't even done the DR ones.
-Dyson ground BZ reward nerfed.
-Queues are dead. As a solution, you nerf some of them.

Anniversary event :
-Lag and rubberbanding for days.
-Daily mission for the ship broken for days. Event not extended.
-Time gated reward for the mission.

I'm probably missing some stuffs.

So legitimate question, are you trolling us on purpose, or do you hate Smirk so much you do your best to make his job really hard ?
As a part of the community, I hope I do not deserve to be trolled. As for Smirk, he is nice, even if his ship build sucks. He doesn't deserve that either.

P.S. I said "the community" at large. Doesn't mean you as an individual. Some might enjoy (*cough* masochistic *cough*) those nerfs and bugs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by erei1 on

Comments

• Options
    originalshakkaroriginalshakkar Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Are they having interns do the work for them?

Wow. So bad. So unprofessional. So chintzy. So unwilling to act like they are on the player's side. Even their reward weekend events are another chance to lie to us.

So mad.
    I used to be Shakkar with thousands of posts. My very identity was stolen from me so now I am originalshakkar, the original.
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am still getting quite a bit of lag in multiple areas. I am thinking the server is near capacity and they may not wanna invest in opening up a second one.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Mostly this.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Go back one year and look at the posts, compared to now it's quite a nice celebration. Then go back another year and so on. This year the community on this forum have extremely few positive things to say about the game and how it is being handled.

I sat here thinking to myself what do I like about the game today and the only two things I could come up with is that it is somewhat Star Trek and I've met some wonderful people here. And that was it. Asked me four years ago and I probably could not stop writing.

At any rate nothing we say here matters. They are reading everything we write, if not people who go over the line would not get their posts edited. So they know alright. They know that we know that they know, which makes it embarrassing to say the least.

Things we can do is spread the word, our feelings, observations to all corners of the Internet. Forums, blogs, emails to different gaming-media outlets, friends. Spread the word.
  • Options
    forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cryptic really needs to stop acting as if every Dil that gets paid out is handcrafted by highly paid gnomes.

They also need to realize that when you communicate a promise to your client base, whether that promise is in error or not, you need to make as good on it as you can; not just give them the finger and say "Ha ha, too bad for you, we are retroactively changing this to say whatever matches our current bugs/bad code/mistakes in judgement".

Finally, having been a coder myself, I am well aware just how cynical and unsupporting your clients become when EVERY SINGLE PATCH you release has some bug or unintended consequence (such as the current limiting of Sliver/Shard production to 1 per run, even though the slider to do 5 is still there, AND showing the % chance of success as 0).

I do my best to be supportive of Cryptic and STO in general but my god, the shoddy QA and the crappy server connections really make it hard at times.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    while this company has forums to use they choose to use 3rd party sites for there community interaction . reddit ,Twitter with facebook taking the rear . this is very unprofessional way to deal with the community . because with these 3rd party interactions they can easily IGNORE YOU and not have any official legal connection to it . while here they have total control to delete they have certain things they cant do for PR reasons , where on 3rd party interactions they can scapegoat because its not company controlled Environment and "not OFFICIAL"

they use the negativity on the forums as a excuse not to interact here . and only interact here when ABSOLUTELY necessary thats the truth i see .
  • Options
    elementalistgaiaelementalistgaia Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kthang wrote: »
    Go back one year and look at the posts, compared to now it's quite a nice celebration. Then go back another year and so on. This year the community on this forum have extremely few positive things to say about the game and how it is being handled.

I sat here thinking to myself what do I like about the game today and the only two things I could come up with is that it is somewhat Star Trek and I've met some wonderful people here. And that was it. Asked me four years ago and I probably could not stop writing.

At any rate nothing we say here matters. They are reading everything we write, if not people who go over the line would not get their posts edited. So they know alright. They know that we know that they know, which makes it embarrassing to say the least.

Things we can do is spread the word, our feelings, observations to all corners of the Internet. Forums, blogs, emails to different gaming-media outlets, friends. Spread the word.

The thing is this isn't something special.

In every MMO board I've seen every forum hates their game and thinks that their Dev's are greedy monsters that are worst than fifty Hitlers.

There's nothing special or even out of the ordinary about STO. If anything the fact that we didn't have to pay for access to the delta quadrant probably puts this one in the upper half of f2p games but no, because this is STO's forums Cryptic is the greediest company ever, even more than generous Aeria that makes you buy inventory slots and costumes that are only a 30 day rental, leagues slimier than noble Turbine that has you pay to access quests and their game' accolade equivalent in each individual area past the starting area, and utter monsters compared to charitable Blizzard and the cash shop it has on top of required subscription.

Of course go to any of the above companies forums and then they're the worst cash mongers ever to ever scam their way into business and anyone who says otherwise is a white knighting fanboy. :D
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    As for Smirk, he is nice, even if his ship build sucks.

LoL too soon, too soon :)

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015

In every MMO board I've seen every forum hates their game and thinks that their Dev's are greedy monsters that are worst than fifty Hitlers.

There's nothing special or even out of the ordinary about STO. If anything the fact that we didn't have to pay for access to the delta quadrant probably puts this one in the upper half of f2p games but no, because this is STO's forums Cryptic is the greediest company ever, even more than generous Aeria that makes you buy inventory slots and costumes that are only a 30 day rental, leagues slimier than noble Turbine that has you pay to access quests and their game' accolade equivalent in each individual area past the starting area, and utter monsters compared to charitable Blizzard and the cash shop it has on top of required subscription.

Of course go to any of the above companies forums and then they're the worst cash mongers ever to ever scam their way into business and anyone who says otherwise is a white knighting fanboy. :D

There are exceptions too, Wargaming (company). They are just as greedy in a sense but they're not sugarcoating it in any way. And World of tanks is probably one of the few, very few, MMOs that has quite literally no long-term critical bugs or bugs that don't get sorted in years.

You know what, there are three things that would make STO go back topside again. Two fairly simple, and one daunting.

1.) Listen to what they players really think

2.) Communicate with the players on official forums

and the daunting one

3.) Fix the g** d*** bugs. The ones that has been with this game for a year and some since the launch.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I really don't envy you your job right now, CaptainSmirk.

I also believe that this decision was a very large mistake. Please pass that feedback along. Thank you.
  • Options
    kranfordtbutcherkranfordtbutcher Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Task number 3 would definitely be the daunting one. Last I heard, they're aware of the bugs. There's just so many that not even a can of raid would help.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

~CaptainSmirk

maybe too soon but you need to work on your builds a little :P .
    But you do your best to show us all the wonders of the game . and THAT i THANK YOU for you and Morrigan . You both do a fine job getting those Blog post, screenshots and stay interacted with the community and with your great sense of humor bring something that very few CMs have in any online game ive played . well done .
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    1.) Listen to what they players really think

Happens rarely, although they did adjust the minigame rewards, but I think it was all a ploy to nerf the rare/VR rewards. Their metrics must have told them too many were dropping.
    2.) Communicate with the players on official forums

They've been communicating too much on reddit instead of sticking with their forums more. Their communication should also increase from current levels.
    3.) Fix the g** d*** bugs. The ones that has been with this game for a year and some since the launch.

This will only happen if Geko ever puts the brake on pushing out content and dedicates some time to this. It's so bad, I think they need a quick bug release season. Frankly, it seems that their best time of the year for bug fixing is February and part of March. After that they go back to adding more buggy content and almost entirely forget bugs exist.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, there is much truth in the original post, no one can deny that.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh, I really don't envy those devs and CMs that want to listen to players, but don't have the power to decide for the game.

Now all of them get flak for what definitely only some of the management decided. On the flip side, the flak in general is well deserved. The list in the OP is a telling example.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015

~CaptainSmirk

Not eager to comment on recent events I assume? And by recent events, I obviously mean the Dilithium Event nerf?
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why would you direct this to Smirk or even GMs? If you are referring to the miscommunication of the Dilithium bonus...look at the author of that blog. Even there you shouldn't shame nor directly attack GMs...(forum policies)

IMO management is the culprit but then most will tell you to file a ticket or use the bug forum for reporting issues. I have used Facebook and twitter as other channels.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Yes sure, whatever. But they usually avoid doing unpopular nerfs and change one patch after the other.

As for Turbine, just FYI, your accolade reward cash shop point. If you grind them all, you usually recoup a part of what you paid, if not more. Also, most of the content is free for subs.
    You conveniently forget to say that.

~CaptainSmirk
    Sorry, I had to tell the truth !

Honestly, I don't envy you right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Why would you direct this to Smirk or even GMs? If you are referring to the miscommunication of the Dilithium bonus...look at the author of that blog. Even there you shouldn't shame nor directly attack GMs...(forum policies)

IMO management is the culprit but then most will tell you to file a ticket or use the bug forum for reporting issues. I have used Facebook and twitter as other channels.

Why? Because he's one of our community managers and he's choosing to ignore the issue.
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why? Because he's one of our community managers and he's choosing to ignore the issue.

And what do you expect him to say? Expect him to do? He's not a dev. The best you can hope for is "I've forwarded this to the devs and I'm sorry."

Harassing a CM for in-game issues is akin to shooting the messenger.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jexsamx wrote: »
    And what do you expect him to say? Expect him to do? He's not a dev. The best you can hope for is "I've forwarded this to the devs and I'm sorry."

Harassing a CM for in-game issues is akin to shooting the messenger.

That would be fine, that would be addressing the issue.
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    On the contrary. I'd bet real money Cryptic reaches more of their player base using those third party sites than they do by making posts on the forums.

A very small fraction of the overall player base uses the forums.

I wouldn't bet real money, cos you're right. Unfortunately that doesn't make it easier to swallow, just a sad reflection on what they really think of their own forums and the people who frequent them.

It really wouldn't hurt them to post stuff in here first, even if they use other social media, a little courtesy goes a long way.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    It kind of reminds me of one of those relationships where one person really wants to break up, but doesn't want to be the one to do it. So instead they (the devs in this case) make life unbearable for the other person (the players) so that they'll leave. Then they get to stand around all high and mighty like and say "I've no idea what happened, I thought we were meant to be and then they left me".

It's sad what's happening to this game.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    On the contrary. I'd bet real money Cryptic reaches more of their player base using those third party sites than they do by making posts on the forums.

A very small fraction of the overall player base uses the forums.
    Your WRONG the community started these outlets due to the comm stortage .In General you dont use a 3rd party to communicate to your player base with announcements when you have your own web page . how many of the players go too reddit or Twitter first when they come to the game , there first contact is ARC and the forums if there looking for news . NO game Company uses other sources for there pirmary communication . not MWO not WOW not SWTOR , WOT ... ETC . with maybe the exception of Startups / small indie companies . PWE/Cryptic falls into the first group not the second .
    just because you all except the use of Reddit as the source doesnt make it the right choice .
  • Options
    sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    Legitimate question. Since DR, we have a long list of nerfs, bugs, and "features", that makes the community angry. And the forum a toxic place.

DR :
    -Level gap in the 50-60 storyline, forcing the player to grind.
    -Upgrind system, costing a lot of resources, for a random result.
    -Tau Dewa nerf. People called exploiters.
    -Specialization XP cost being insane, while STF xp reward are very low.
    -Patrol mission being used as story filler.
    -Dil reward from STF nerfed (adv is supposed to be the new elite, but award less).
    -Time between post on the forum extended to 5minutes, then reduced to 2m. Still at 2m, while it used to be 30s in the past.

Post DR :
    -More XP grind, while many players complained it was too much.
    -BOFF revamp, half done, certain skill (like TS III) are currently impossible to train.
    -Dil event nerfed. Probably affecting the number 1 thing people did during the event.
    -New specialization added. While it seems the majority of players I can speak to haven't even done the DR ones.
    -Dyson ground BZ reward nerfed.
    -Queues are dead. As a solution, you nerf some of them.

Anniversary event :
    -Lag and rubberbanding for days.
    -Daily mission for the ship broken for days. Event not extended.
    -Time gated reward for the mission.

I'm probably missing some stuffs.

So legitimate question, are you trolling us on purpose, or do you hate Smirk so much you do your best to make his job really hard ?
    As a part of the community, I hope I do not deserve to be trolled. As for Smirk, he is nice, even if his ship build sucks. He doesn't deserve that either.

P.S. I said "the community" at large. Doesn't mean you as an individual. Some might enjoy (*cough* masochistic *cough*) those nerfs and bugs.

Agreed with all your points. This is just making me mad. psychopathic EVEN! THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH I CAN TAKE! i was getting ready to do a youtube video saying how great we got to 5 years! My video going to be very different now!
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • Options
    talonsintalonsin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, to be honest, the NA operations of PWI have been losing money:

"Perfect World's third quarter profits fell, according to a financial results document published yesterday by the free-to-play giant. CEO Robert Xiao blamed PW's American operations for the drop"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/26/perfect-worlds-q3-results-down/

It is only natural that staff, hardware and service gets cut and we start feeling the sting of the belt tightening.