1 uncommon phaser beam array mk 12 [dmg]
1 uncommon quantum torpedo launcher mk 12 [crtd]
1 uncommon quantum torpedo launcher mk 12 [dmg]

Deflector: neutrino array mk 12 uncommon

Impulse: combat engines uncommon mk 12

Warp core: field stabilizing mk 12 uncommon

Shields: uncommon mk 12 [cap]

Engineer consoles: 3 neutrino alloy uncommon mk 12 and emergency mk 12 uncommon

SC: shield emitter amplifier mk 11 uncommon and bio function monitor mk 12 uncommon

TC: zero point quantum chamber mk 11 rare
Warhead yield chamber mk 12 rare
Phaser relay mk 12 uncommon

now keep in mind that I have this on my sovereign ship in my fed engineer character, so tell me what I'm doing wrong with my current loadout. Any advice would be appreciated
Post edited by ret2023 on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,539 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like using torps too, but if you install CombatLogReader you'd probably find that you do more damage with all beams instead of 4 beams 4+ torps.

If you broadside a target, ALL 8 beams can hit it all the time. With 4 torps, at least 2 of them are doing 0 damage at any one time.

I'd suggest: pick up 2 more cheap white mk 11 or 12 phaser relays off of the exchange, and 3-4 cheap white mk 12 beam arrays.

Use 3 x phaser relay, all beams, or 3 phaser relay and 7 beams + 1 torp for fun.

You could replace the bio function with something else like a field generator for shield hitpoints, or later something like the Romulan rep console.

It shouldn't cost much to try this since white mk 11 - 12 consoles and beams are cheap. AND they do not get bound to your account, so you can always re-sell them later.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You want all weapons to able to hit a target. If going beam arrays always use as many as you can.

Crew is meaningless. Replace the consoles that effect crew.

Stick with all Phaser relay tactical consoles.

Bridge officer ability selection is also very important.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Use this to link builds, be sure to fill out at least the equips, boff powers, skill spec and let us know what doffs you're using. Just telling us equips gives us an incomplete picture.

But judging by your equips, anything beyond story content on normal difficulty is beyond your current loadout.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ret2023 wrote: »
    Fore weapons: 2 very rare phaser beam array mk 12 [acc] [crtd] [dmg]
    1 very rare quantum torpedo launcher mk 12 [acc] [crth] [dmg]
    1 uncommon quantum torpedo launcher mk 12 [crth]

Aft weapons: 1 uncommon phaser beam array mk 12 [crth]
    1 uncommon phaser beam array mk 12 [dmg]
    1 uncommon quantum torpedo launcher mk 12 [crtd]
    1 uncommon quantum torpedo launcher mk 12 [dmg]

Deflector: neutrino array mk 12 uncommon

Impulse: combat engines uncommon mk 12

Warp core: field stabilizing mk 12 uncommon

Shields: uncommon mk 12 [cap]

Engineer consoles: 3 neutrino alloy uncommon mk 12 and emergency mk 12 uncommon

SC: shield emitter amplifier mk 11 uncommon and bio function monitor mk 12 uncommon

TC: zero point quantum chamber mk 11 rare
    Warhead yield chamber mk 12 rare
    Phaser relay mk 12 uncommon

now keep in mind that I have this on my sovereign ship in my fed engineer character, so tell me what I'm doing wrong with my current loadout. Any advice would be appreciated
    I'll try to keep the overall spirit of your current build alive.

You can mix beams and torps, but you're probably better off with 3 beams and 1 torp both fore and aft. One torpedo is enough to make use of related bridge officer abilities.

Even if you're mixing torps and beams, you'll want to maximize the primary damage type - beams. You're using phasers, so replace that warhead yield chamber with another phaser relay, and pick up a third one to put where you currently have the zero-point console.

The emergency shields and biofunction monitor consoles can go; I also like the stats, but they're so severely underutilized by the game that it's not worth chasing those stats. Just think of it this way; you already have enough of either incorporated into your vessel's baseline.

Move your zero-point console to the newly freed engineering console slot, and replay whatever mission it is that will reward you another uncommon shield emitter amplifier to fill out the empty science console slot.

Also, I have to ask, why use a neutrino deflector? The positron deflector is a superior generic choice; the other deflectors have more specific applications for things like science abilities or stealth.

Another area you may be able to improve is in your skill point allocation. Many players use http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/ to discuss skill point allocation, because it's a very convenient tool for simplifying the discussion.

I hope you don't look on any of those changes as a burden. They're really minor, and outside of asking you to slot what could be considered a tactical console (the zero-point console) in a non-tactical console slot (some people take issue with that), it preserves your current play style.
    fatman592 wrote: »
    But judging by your equips, anything beyond story content on normal difficulty is beyond your current loadout.
    He'll need to do normal STFs to improve the gear at any reasonable rate. And, due to the opaqueness of many in-game mechanics, he'll probably need to improve his piloting skills, but that can be done in normals, where even moderately geared players can carry the team.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    ret2023ret2023 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=ussarcadia_9330

here's everything from my federation character, have fun talking :D

P.S the Engineering Kit Frame Mk X [turret] uncommon, and the Support Drone uncommon Mk X aren't showing up for some unknown reason, but they are there where it should be just hover your mouse over it and the name will appear.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Here is a tank version of your ship.

I put the Kobali set on there since that's the event going now, but the Salonae set would be good as well. Earn these by running the events a few times. If you run the missions and do the anniversary event, get the Kobali ship as it would be a vast improvement over your current ship. It also has the benefit of having a similar layout.

You will need the following doffs at the following minimum qualities: 2 Very Rare (purple) Damage Control Engineers (reduces cooldown on Emergency Power to 'X' abilities) - 3 blues would be fine if you have the 6th doff slot, 2 Rare (blue) Conn Officers (reduces cooldown on Tactical Team), 1 Rare (blue) Matter-Antimatter Engineer (buffs A2D and extends the duration of the effect).

You can use the very rare beams you already have, I just made all the beams the same for simplicity.

The Field Generators should be fairly cheap still, you can earn at least one from Delta Quadrant story missions.

Grab the Hilbert spacebar keybind, use it until you move onto something better. Alternate using the Eng Captain EPS buff and Nadeon Inversion, this will help you keep weapon power up. Set power to 100/70/15/15.

With that build you'll faceroll any normal queue, and be able to at least contribute 5-6k DPS when in advanced queues. Beyond that, the best advice I can give is to join a well established fleet so you can learn from that knowledge base.