test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

5 year Anniversary Infographic

szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
FYI Cryptic released some interesting statistics about the number of players, who plays what and other facts.

5 Year Anniversary Infographic

Thought I would repost the link in here because there's no thread about it in the Galactic News section of the forums.

73% play Starfleet, only 16% play as a Klingon. Now this should settle at least one argument for good :D
Post edited by szim on

Comments

• Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    szim wrote: »
    FYI Cryptic released some interesting statistics about the number of players, who plays what and other facts.

Thought I would repost the link in here because there's no thread about it in the Galactic News section of the forums.

73% play Starfleet, only 16% play as a Klingon. Now this should settle at least one argument for good :D

The only thing this answers is that the masses of people play the faction that is not neglected. So really its a simple case of social engineering. Oh ... and that Cryptic are basically shafting close to a million customers.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only thing this answers is that the masses of people play the faction that is not neglected. So really its a simple case of social engineering. Oh ... and that Cryptic are basically shafting close to a million customers.

As usual, people are not willing to accept the entertain the notion that perhaps a franchise that was focused around human (starfleet) crews on human ships may generally attract people to that faction - and the "neglection" you see for the KDF or Romulans is simply because there have always been more people around that want to play a Starfleet captain.

Forget the factions for a moment - look at the races - humans are played the most. But nothing in the game particular favors humans.

The cool traits are all given to other species, and the most customization options you get with Aliens, and the "hottest" costumes you get with Orions.

But the franchise - it certainly favours humans. Aliens are always the minorities among the protagonists. And even important secondary or tertiary characters are often enough humans.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2015

But the franchise - it certainly favours humans. Aliens are always the minorities among the protagonists.

Not on DS9 ... .

Dax , Kira , Odo , Worf > Sisko , O'Brien , Bashir .

It's even worse if you take in the secondary characters :

Garak , Quark , Rom , Nog , Dukat , Winn , Morn(!!!) > Jake , Keiko , Molly .

All in all , this is not something to hate over .
    Trek (most of it) is a Human centric show .

But hats off to the KDF anyway , not only for beating the Rommies (who had a whole expansion based on them) , but for being popular despite 4 years of Cryptic telling us that they were unpopular .

Now to some burning questions :

Why are there more Pakled players then Ferasan ?

Why are there more Saurians then Ferengi ? (I barely seen 2 Saurians in 5 years)

Why are Betazoid and Bajoran right next to Romulans ? Did they get their own Expansion and we all just missed it ??
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why do we care how many dev babies have been born? That has nothing to do with the game.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    well, if feds get all cream, why not to play them ? just look at small carafts - feds have 5 or 6 types, while klingons/romies only 2 per faction.
    and similiar it is for ships - when feds alone have more ships that kdf/roms COMBINED - well doy ou think that many players will play them ? players love to have more stuff to chose from.

and that infographic - it nicely show how much game is plagued with spam bots/ very early run away guys, since with cca 1,3 char per acount - when in acount you get 3 chars for free - it tells a lot of things.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As usual, people are not willing to accept the entertain the notion that perhaps a franchise that was focused around human (starfleet) crews on human ships may generally attract people to that faction - and the "neglection" you see for the KDF or Romulans is simply because there have always been more people around that want to play a Starfleet captain.

I'm sorry, but it's the other way around. The only way we would have known the real ratio of interest between the availible factions in STO would have been if Cryptic released an equal game for both and later for the third faction as well. I'm sure a big majority would still prefer Starfleet for known reasons, but I'm also fairly certain that the difference would not be 73 - 16 - 11%.
    Since STO's Klingon Faction has been gimped and the embodiment of underdevelopment since launch, all that can really be concluded from these infographics is that people don't like playing broken, underdeveloped and gimped stuff, which should not come as a suprise to anyone.

If anything, the infographic shows just how loyal and dedicated KDF playerbase Cryptic has even if they don't apreciate it at all, still maintaining a population of 16% after 5 years of playing second fiddle and without the bow.
    Forget the factions for a moment - look at the races - humans are played the most. But nothing in the game particular favors humans.

The cool traits are all given to other species, and the most customization options you get with Aliens, and the "hottest" costumes you get with Orions.

But the franchise - it certainly favours humans. Aliens are always the minorities among the protagonists. And even important secondary or tertiary characters are often enough humans.

That has nothing to do with this franchise, a big number of people will generally prefer playing Humans in any game that enables playing Humans. This is the case in most mainstream games that allow Human species. A huge number of people tend to immerse themselves and identify with their on-line character better if that character is Human, just like them. Many tailor their characters based on themselves in RL.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why do we care how many dev babies have been born? That has nothing to do with the game.

Because its a fun fact. You do remember fun, don't you?
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for posting this, checking the Arc site just isn't part of my routine at all.

First time they've mentioned number of (presumably active) accounts?
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I love when people are discussing stats around number of account, and not active account.

Basically, it takes into account every account created when the game was released (and the Romulan were not even available), banned account, and pretty much every accounts ever.
    Since the Romulan are the last one, they are obviously the less "played".

Also, they probably have the less bots, banned or not, which makes them even less (*cough* Qo'nos, *cough*). Not to mention the numerous existing or banned grind bots for feds (Foundry exploit for example, it was easier to create a fed than anything else at that time).

Those stats are as accurate as saying "my friendlist is empty, this game is doomed".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zntechzntech Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Plus it serves as a pleasant reminder that the Devs are people, with their own lives, not drones who only exist when some overly entitled players want them to.

Is it the fun in " server disconnect " " cant connect account server " rubber-band ON Lag ON yeaaa it is funny very very veryyyyy funny :D
    erei1 wrote: »
    I love when people are discussing stats around number of account, and not active account.

Basically, it takes into account every account created when the game was released (and the Romulan were not even available), banned account, and pretty much every accounts ever.
    Since the Romulan are the last one, they are obviously the less "played".

Also, they probably have the less bots, banned or not, which makes them even less (*cough* Qo'nos, *cough*). Not to mention the numerous existing or banned grind bots for feds (Foundry exploit for example, it was easier to create a fed than anything else at that time).

Those stats are as accurate as saying "my friendlist is empty, this game is doomed".

Well said in did ....
    In the beginning there was all and then become nothing

I AM PISSED OFF AFTER 3 YRS. I STILL CAN'T USE OR CHANGE OR DELETE OUTFIT IN 3 OF 5 OUTFIT SLOTS ON MY KLINGON TOON !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    szim wrote: »

Yes very interesting. Thanks for posting here! :)

The only thing this answers is that the masses of people play the faction that is not neglected. So really its a simple case of social engineering.
    "Social engineering"? LOL. Name the Star Trek series or movie that was about Klingons. Oh right, there weren't any. :rolleyes:
    Oh ... and that Cryptic are basically shafting close to a million customers.
    Because you know all the people with a Klingon captain play STO solely for that reason, eh?

aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Not on DS9 ... .
    Dax , Kira , Odo , Worf > Sisko , O'Brien , Bashir .
    Wait, are you trying to say O'Brien wasn't human? And as for Bashir, while he was "enhanced" he was still human.

Sometimes I play daily, other times I've been known to take 6 months off. Does that mean my account should not be counted?
    How do you know they include banned accounts?
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here. What "bots"?
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ah, so they did release one. Cool.

Surprising that Engineers are more in number than Science officers, and the dev babies is a nice touch.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Of course the numbers are way higher than the active current accounts. However, 88,000 foundry missions is pretty impressive to me.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    p4hajujup4hajuju Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Congratulations for the devs with the babies. That was a bit funny.

Edit 1: Made a c to a C.
    Galavant!
    "Use Temporal Skills to NERF EVERYTHING before it happened!" -Unknown source.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Don't hate the babies. The babies are adorable.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Sometimes I play daily, other times I've been known to take 6 months off. Does that mean my account should not be counted?
    That's exactly why it's difficult to have real datas on f2p. Many people will create an account and play for a few minutes, never going back. Because it's free.
    Active account means non-banned account, and people who played at least once since a set period of time. For example a year or so.

Another example, I made 5 account, just to create a fleet (4+ my main account). Thus, I'm counted 5 times. 4 of them are fed only (fed fleet).
    And I'm far from being the only one. How many people created 2-3+account, and are not playing them ? How many people created an account, didn't played much, lost the ID, and created another one when they wanted to play again ?
    This kind of datas are completely destroying any kind of accuracy.
    How do you know they include banned accounts?
    Because there are no reasons why they shouldn't. Banned account are merely inactive forever account. But they still exist. When they takes the numbers of created account, they would have to do an extra work to filter them. It would be unnecessary and a waste of time. Especially for a "fun" thing.

When pretty much every other f2p give this kind of number, they give the amount of created account. It doesn't mean anything, but it's always a huge number (that one is very low, I've seen asian f2p with dozen of millions account). The reason is simple, it's easier than having to find how many of those account are active, and having a huge number make it look like it's highly successful.
    Seriously, I've seen numbers several times higher than for world of ********. For some random asian grinder.
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here. What "bots"?
    Goldseller farm character, goldseller spam character. They are bots, IE machines, not human. Sometimes they might be "played" by a human, but most of the time a machine (bot) is more effective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Banned account are merely inactive forever account. But they still exist.
    There is a difference between a banned account and an inactive account. On the latter the user can come back any time he wishes. Banned accounts cannot login again, and it's only supposition on your part that they are counting as part of the published numbers. The fact they're banned would be a simple flag in the database, quite easy for STO number crunchers to "filter out".

Bottom line is no one outside of Cryptic can know whether they do or not, so I don't want to spend any more time arguing over minutia. :) Besides I don't expect the number of banned accounts to be significant out of a total of 2.5 Million.

You're right though, no doubt there are accounts that were created long ago and won't ever be used again, for any number of reasons.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The babies took the cups in the kitchen. :mad: