test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ideal Command Ships

jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Federation Discussion
With the release of the new Command specialization and powers, it's only a matter of time before faction-specific command ships are released. With that in mind, I've begun thinking about what I would like to see in terms of ship layout and performance. Since I fly a tank/damage hybrid setup, I think I would like to see something like this:

Rampart-class Command Cruiser
4/4 Weapons
4 Devices
Full cruiser communications array
+5 All power settings
1.0 Shield Modifier
43725 Base Hull strength
6.5 or 7 degree per second turn rate
Commander Engineer/Command
LTC Tactical
LTC Science
LT Engineer/Command
Ens Universal
4 Engineer, 3 Science, 3 Tactical console slots
Standard cruiser traits
Ship Trait - Covering Fire (Can't think of anything better at the moment)
Whenever a nearby ally receives damage, increase your damage output by 2% and threat generation by 10%, stacking up to 5 times. This trait would assist tanks in building up threat quickly in the opening moments of combat until they are the sole focus of enemy fire. Incidental damage like AoE attacks and torpedo splash would probably keep a stack or two up over the continued course of battle.

What would everyone else like to see?

Edit: in retrospect, I hadn't realized this is pretty much identical to the Guardian except providing it full Command slots instead of secondary Intel slots. Not sure what else I'd like to see though, I suppose it'll probably end up being similar to the Eclipse but with a Command focus instead of Intel and a Tac focus instead of Sci. Still think the ship trait could work though.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
Post edited by jbmaverick on

Comments

• Options
    mscowboymscowboy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There was of course more to the true intel ships than a high level hybrid seat. Cloaking and a set of unique expose powers... I wonder what special bonus attributes the command ships will get as a counterpart to these?

For command all I really want is a carrier with lt com or higher hybrid.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    First wave of command ships are all battlecruisers and, will come as tac/eng/sci versions for all factions.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    mscowboy wrote: »
    There was of course more to the true intel ships than a high level hybrid seat. Cloaking and a set of unique expose powers... I wonder what special bonus attributes the command ships will get as a counterpart to these?

For command all I really want is a carrier with lt com or higher hybrid.

I hadn't thought about the extras on Intel ships. Given the nature of what Command is supposed to mean, I suspect it'll be something similar to the Cruiser Comm Array abilities: PBAoE field(s) that stack charges until you reach a certain amount, which allows the activation of a team-wide buff. Faster stack charging for each ally within range.
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    First wave of command ships are all battlecruisers and, will come as tac/eng/sci versions for all factions.

The Dyson pack and Odyssey/Bortasqu packs didn't have different bridge seating for each ship though, they just had a unique console (which is pretty much already confirmed) and slightly different console layout. If it ends up just an enhanced Samsar then we already pretty much know what we're getting, but if they're more faction specific (which is my hope) then they may vary significantly from the Samsar's available bridge seats.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    From the pics ive seen ( can't name anyone ), the feds will get three career specific battlecruisers, the roms an klinks will get three career specific as well, oh an they are all different from each other in design.
  • Options
    nikolaykuznetsovnikolaykuznetsov Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    :D Galaxy class Command and Control Cruiser :D
    4/4 Weapons
    53,000 (level 60)
    4 tac consoles, 4 Engi and 2 Sci consoles
    4 Commander Boff - All universal!!!
    :D
    Just kidding.
    Max. One-Hit: 114,966 (Quantum Torpedo - Salvo II (Federation Typhoon Class Battleship))
  • Options
    spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to see a sci-favored Galaxy class.

LT Tac
    CDR Eng
    LCDR Eng/Cmd
    LCDR Sci
    LT Sci

5/4 Weapons layout.

5 ENG
    4 SCI
    3 TAC

1.2 Shield mod

Lead fleets from the front.

(And for visuals, add the phaser strips on top of the nacelles like the canon "Venture Refit.")
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The general feeling I get from Command Spec abilities is that they're more oriented for buffing your team mostly, with some debuffs on enemy, and a pinch of healing. It doesn't have the raw firepower possible like Intel gets with OSS and SS, nor the very heavy Intel debuffs and disables. Because of this, IMO, Command Hybrid stations using TAC stations are a terrible waste. I would not give up long trusted Tactical abilities for Command abilities that don't really provide firepower in replacement. At least with Intel, you had a different means of heavy Energy Weapons boosting with OSS and/or SS. Command has nothing like the raw damaging power in an alternate form like Intel.

Because of this, I believe ENG heavy or very SCI heavy ships are the best candidates for Command. This is also working on the assumption Hybrid Stations will be handled the same as Intel ships. Intel ships have a Cmdr & Lt Hybrid station.

What's funny is the Galaxy-class' layout is perfect for Command Spec. Going from the T5 Galaxy layout with a Command twist:
    Lt TAC
    Cmdr Command/ENG
    LtCdr ENG
    Ens ENG
    Lt SCI
    A T6 version would have the Lt TAC or SCI station become LtCdr. Whatever remains a Lt station would get the Lt level Hybrid seat. Regardless, the key is that the ship would still have LtCdr & Ens fixed ENG stations which is very sturdy in itself already. The Cmdr Hybrid seat could be used for 100% Command and the ship would still be pretty damn tough.

A T6 very SCI heavy ship can be thought of in the same way. The Cmdr SCI station would be the main Hybrid seat for Command. Think of the Scryer in this regard. It still would have very good amount of SCI BOFF seat count to do what a SCI Vessel should do.

A scenario that came up in a different thread is if Command ability Concentrate Firepower with the "free" HYT1 buff to the team applies to the player's/team's hangar units. Again, a very ENG or SCI heavy Carrier would be best for this, *IF* this is true.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Sovereign might be better as a command ship, well the Regent sub class might be better.

Lt. Cmd Tactical
    Ensign Tactical
    Commander Engineering
    Lt Engineering/Command
    Lt Sci
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Typhoon Class! Bring it as a Command ship. :eek:
      Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
      Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    • Options
      jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
      edited February 2015
      cryptics idea of a command ship would be something about the size of a

Shuttle

with the firepower of a scimitar

with racing stripes
      Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
      Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
      Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    • Options
      szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Command Carriers seem like an ideal fit, both in form and function.

That said, the command battlecruisers we're getting will probably be a good fit as well. If they turn out to be suitably tactical heavy and Flagship-sized, I may be content finally retiring my Bortasqu.

Star/Flight-Deck Cruisers would probably be a good fit too.

I was originally hoping for a Command Vesta/Aventine, but to be honest, Concentrate Firepower really isn't anywhere near as useful as I had been hoping.
    • Options
      echelonalphaechelonalpha Member Posts: 58 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      I tried to think of a few good ideas for bridge officer seating and they all came out sounding like a command version of the Guardian cruiser lol

But maybe thats not such a bad thing?
    • Options
      cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Command ship?

EXCELSIOR!!!!1one

No seriously, Excelsior.
    • Options
      hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Command ship?

EXCELSIOR!!!!1one

No seriously, Excelsior.

Well a decent number of Admirals did tend to use them as flagships.
    • Options
      ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      farmallm wrote: »

Agreed, command ships should be large and very capable of defending themselves. Typhoon makes a lot of sense to me and i've been hoping for a playable version for quite a while now.
    • Options
      edited February 2015
      jbmaverick wrote: »
      I hadn't thought about the extras on Intel ships. Given the nature of what Command is supposed to mean, I suspect it'll be something similar to the Cruiser Comm Array abilities: PBAoE field(s) that stack charges until you reach a certain amount, which allows the activation of a team-wide buff. Faster stack charging for each ally within range.

Inspiration Mechanic. Called it (more or less).

Really looking forward to seeing what the Boff layouts are on these ships, this may finally be what I've been looking for.

• Options
      hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      farmallm wrote: »
      ltdata96 wrote: »
      Agreed, command ships should be large and very capable of defending themselves. Typhoon makes a lot of sense to me and i've been hoping for a playable version for quite a while now.

Well if you look at the fed command ships, one of the variants does bear a very strong resemblance to the Typhoon. A very VERY strong resemblance to it.
      It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    • Options
      edited February 2015
      Well if you look at the fed command ships, one of the variants does bear a very strong resemblance to the Typhoon. A very VERY strong resemblance to it.

Yeah, you can see that pretty good, esp on the Nacelles. Though we'd need more angles to see other aspects.
      XzRTofz.gif
    • Options
      joshmaaaaaaansjoshmaaaaaaans Member Posts: 32 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      One of the t6 command ships would probably be fairly ideal.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      edited February 2015
      Yeah, you can see that pretty good, esp on the Nacelles. Though we'd need more angles to see other aspects.

Who knows, maybe we finally get a Typhoon. I think if it's close enough, that will probably be the kicker for me and I'll do the "TAKE MY MONEY" to them XD. That is provided it also has a good BOff layout and decent stats.
      It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    • Options
      sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      I would say that those ships should be Guardian, Avenger, Oddysey, Dreadnought Galaxy and Sovereign of course.
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • Options
      edited February 2015
      Well after seeing the dev blog today, I can say for certain they are not giving us the Typhoon. The Concorde class looks a LOT like the typhoon, but alas, it is not. And the KDF command cruisers are just... just... EW!!!! The Romulan ones look magnificent.

But on a positive note, the fed command cruisers are actually really really nice with their BOff layout, console layout, and overall stats. Too bad if you want to fly one that has high DPS and looks like a typhoon you'll have to get the 3 pack.
    • Options
      papesh1papesh1 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      I agree this may be the closest thing we get to the typhoon. Based on their description I expect these ships to be fairly large. What does every one think about the stats on the ships? What will be your variant?
    • Options
      edited February 2015
      So I forked over the dough and got the CCs. The fed ones are... aesthetically not too easy on the eyes. Borderline ugly as hell.

When you do a closeup, you can see their lower hulls and neck are very VERY similar to the excelsior (which I am not fond of AT ALL due to it's fugliness). The saucer is similar to the Sovvy (at least the concorde), and it's pylons are attached ABOVE it's neck... very odd indeed.

However, if you do enough of a kitbash, you can make them somewhat attractive... as long as you don't look from a certain angle XP.
    • Options
      edited February 2015
      So I forked over the dough and got the CCs. The fed ones are... aesthetically not too easy on the eyes. Borderline ugly as hell.

When you do a closeup, you can see their lower hulls and neck are very VERY similar to the excelsior (which I am not fond of AT ALL due to it's fugliness). The saucer is similar to the Sovvy (at least the concorde), and it's pylons are attached ABOVE it's neck... very odd indeed.

However, if you do enough of a kitbash, you can make them somewhat attractive... as long as you don't look from a certain angle XP.

Aesthetically speaking, not fond of the very bulbuous Upper Hull and the fact that the Nacelle Pylons are attached to that and not the Lower Hull/Engineering Hull. I don't mind the Excelsior-aesthetics. I like the Excelsior, it's a classic Star Trek canon ship. But the Upper Hull and Nacelle Pylon placement leave much to be desired.
      XzRTofz.gif
    • Options
      seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      This is why it's so hard to design ships, because everyone has different taste.

Personally, I think the Federation Command ships are by far the best looking ships they have ever made (Non-Cannon.) My favorite Fed Ships have always been the Excelsior and the Sovereign and these designs all seem to take ques from both of those ships.

Personally, I fly the Command Cruiser but I use the look of the Engineering variant (Concorde Class.) I absolutely love it, I get that they don't appeal to everyone and that's cool.. but for my taste this thing is stunningly beautiful.

I have been lobbying for a Typhoon for some time, but honestly if they ever do make one, I'll likely still stick with this design. The ship is big, has a cool armored look and is pretty maneuverable for a ship of it's size. I really like it.
      Insert witty signature line here.