test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

BIG BIG BIG boff problem since patch

cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
Cryptic I really hope this was unintended but ALL by abilities that I trained my bridge officers in,
Are gone replaced with torpedo abilities for the tactical officers, my ship runs on beam and cannon abilities and that’s what she’s rigged for and now I have no abilities that I have uses for I have NO torpedoes on my ship and if you want you can check

My build ship build is 3 dual heavy cannons, 1 dual beam bank, 1 kinetic cutting beam and 2 turrets.
CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
Post edited by cers001 on

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Well, I guess that's one way to make sure that we use the new BOFF training system. :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    yeah but they didn't say they were doing this and I for one don't want to spend dilli on something I and the community wasn't informed about its unfair that's why I hope its a bug
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not even going to sign in until this is fixed. Some of my BOff skills already cost me a pretty EC penny.
  • Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Got the same problem. I had a tactical officer trained with Tactical Team II. And now that has been replaced with Torpedo High Yield II. And since I don't have torpedo launchers on my ship either..
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "Working as intended" - Cryptic
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    mycroft1701mycroft1701 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yup, same issue - all of my BOFFS had their skills changed.

Looks like they've all reset to whatever they had when I first picked them up, and have lost everything I trained them in myself. Really annoying as I'd queued for a PvE before I noticed :(
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21690631&postcount=30
    Rare Boff Abilities - When the system is released it will retrain any Rare Boff Abilities that a Boff had to begin with (so if a player accidentally untrained a rare ability, they will get it back on that Boff). We are also planning on releasing those Rare Abilities as Training Manuals in the future but we have not determined the method on it yet.

What Stark2k said.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I took one look at my boff loadout, and immediately wanted to log off and say "TRIBBLE this".

My ships are now completely ruined, and have lost most of their combat effectiveness because of this. Not at all looking forward to trying to sort out this mess! :mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    there is a change ability right beside the new one just look here there is a small arrow below the name in this shot and the new ability is above the old just click to change thanks for the info guys Shot is here

thanks for the info CRYPTIC
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Woah....

That is messed up... I didn't read the above linked thread admittedly. I had now idea they were taking away your existing abilities and may at some point in the future allow you to have them back. I had incorrectly assumed it was only for new boffs, abilities.

Smooth guys, real smooth.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Rare abilities being unavailable at this time is definitely a deal breaker for me. I just needed a more compelling reason to stop logging in after all, so I guess this is it. I wish you all good luck.

EDIT: apparently my hard-trained skills are still there. Still a problem if I can give them to new/other BOFFs.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Heh, if they're forcing us to use their new system (and if they're removing our current skills by default) then I don't think I'm going to be around much longer.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    an earlier post says you can change your skills back to how it should be...
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm not surprised by this at all I probably saw it coming really. All those people who called me on my whining saying stuff won't affect me, well I present you 'this'.

I'm not sure if I'm actually happy about this. It's further evidence and reason that STO should should be put out of it's misery. It's been a while since I went in to space but I'm sure my ship had one Eng team on or a hazard emitters.now it's got nothing.

Bravo Cryptic, you're still working as intended. Try and get through the episode Dust to Dust then log out until this mess is fixed.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just logged on and got the same issue here. Tact team on replaced with torp high yield 1 and ap beta 1 replaced with cannon scatter volley 1.

I'm not spending resources to retrain something that was already trained.

Cryptic sort it out.

No space missions tonight for me

Edit.

Ok after farting assing around with the system finally fixed it. Just 12 other toons to go. The joy.

New ugly icons to get used to (Guess someone in the art department felt the cold breath of redundancy on the back of their neck and had to justify his/her paycheck)
  • Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Oh boy this was confusing, the skills trained to a boff before are actually still there. You just have to switch it out first. This way you can keep those abilities without re-training them each time you need to change it. Clever.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tigeraries wrote: »
    an earlier post says you can change your skills back to how it should be...

Ok, in many cases you can fix it. It's a headache and pain in the TRIBBLE$ but I was able to finally fix one of my characters.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Guys talk about overreacting. Your boffs did not lose there skills you had. Remember the trait revamp? They just did that to BOFFs just go to a space map an switch you boffs skills back.

sheesh.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As already mentioned, you can go back to your real skills by clicking on the station that has different abilities, then click on change abilities to fix that.
    Unfortunately, it's still buggy, so sometimes, changing one abilities will change/erase the others, so get ready to click on the "reset" button several times.

Also, it wouldn't be so infuriating if some devs took the time to make a pop-up tutorial like they did for the other changes!

You know, a quick "some abilities may have been replaced by others during the last patch of STO, do not panic and click here to go into a quick tutorial to recover them 1/4"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Also, if you change the skill back to what you want it to be, it may not update in the playable clickable area of your skill tray or skill bar. To fix this and update it, just un-equip and re-equip the bridge officer and it will update.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the heads-up. Thankfully I have only 2 builds to be concerned with, so I am going to write them down by memory before I get home from work so I don't confuse myself by looking at the randomness.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I allso cancelled 250 dollars of purchasesi have made i was a a sci and this massively effect sci to the point they arte fracking worthless as pvp goes......... this is fracking garbage and i urge all that has bought ne items in the last wqeek to ask for a full refund
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm hearing some people in IRC saying that the BOFF layouts on their ships are messed up now because of this reset. I'd say that's pretty rotten of Cryptic to do to people who have existing setups.

Can't wait to see what damage Cryptic has done to my crews when I get home tonight.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nimbull wrote: »
    I'm hearing some people in IRC saying that the BOFF layouts on their ships are messed up now because of this reset. I'd say that's pretty rotten of Cryptic to do to people who have existing setups.

Can't wait to see what damage Cryptic has done to my crews when I get home tonight.

And if you read these whole two pages, you'll see you can quickly bring the good layouts back (if you know where to look at since Cryptic forgot to make a basic tutorial for that).
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    caasicamcaasicam Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    All the abilities that were previously there on your Boffs should still be available for use, just slot them back into their respective ability ranks. Seeing as Boffs now just switch out abilities instead of over-writing them, it looks like they just reverted back to what skills the Boffs originally knew. (My Engi Boff got changed from Aux2Sif III to EWP II, but Aux2Sif III was still available for him to use, I just switched them out.)

While I'm not a fan of more IU clutter, the new system is very streamlined mechanics-wise. Works similarly to traits.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And if you read these whole two pages, you'll see you can quickly bring the good layouts back (if you know where to look at since Cryptic forgot to make a basic tutorial for that).

It's still a mess that I shouldn't have to deal with quite honestly.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No It Flat Out Removed All Of My Existing Skills

I Reslotted And Still Nothing..........arg........i Hate U Cryptic
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It would be nice if Cryptic had announced that the re-trained abilities would be made the default one on log in. Any seasoned MMO developer SHOULD know not everyone reads patch notes after a new patch.

It just amazes me that they DO have an 'announcement' window in game that they can cause to pop up with important info - yet Cryptic NEVER seems to use it - even when making MAJOR game system changes. IMO not a good way to conduct business in an MMO.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."