test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time for a DS9 revamp

darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Art of Star Trek Online
I think its time for a DS9 revamp. We have a new shiny ESD and the art team has shown us, that they make a fantastic work. So, now it is time for a mor detailed DS9 revamp.

Quarks

I would like to see an open Quarks to the promenade deck (both decks) like in the series, without a loading screen. I would also like to see the holo suites as a Foundry entry point.

Security office

I would like to see Odos security office on the promenade with the brig. Put the security officer from the Replimat into the security office.

Sickbay

Please build the original sickbay from the series into the map.

Tailor

I would also like to see a greater tailor shop. Why not build Garaks taylor shop on DS9? Put the tailor in it and some of the cabines like on ESD.

Extra Rooms

I would like to see some extra rooms, like storage rooms, the conference room and maybe some quarters on DS9 in habitat ring. These rooms are also very good for the foundry.

Entry point

DS9 is a space station where ships get docked. I don’t like it to beam on the promenade.
For better atmosphere i like the idea to dock at DS9 and start at a airlock on the ground map or in one of the pylons. Also i love to leave DS9 at these points.

Atmosphere

Maybe there can be more atmosphere if you look out of the windows. Freighters which are docking, a Runabout which starts etc.

The size matters

I know the reasons why DS9 is so big in game. But maybe it is possible to reduce the size a little bit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by darthpetersen on

Comments

• Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It also needs restaurants like we saw and heard in the show.

Some use of the upper promenade, its a waste right now

Also would like to see aliens that roam around, it should be very diverse.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I agree with all of the OP's suggestions with a caveat or two.

The main ring may need to remain large simply because of the number of players and the need for room to do stuff.

First, there likely needs to be multiple maps rather than have everything on one central location. Yes, Quark's bar should be part of the main map. Garak's Tailor Shop, Odo's Security Office, Bashir's Infirmary, and the Bajoran Temple could be either separate maps or part of the main map as space permits. The Docking Room should be on a separate map from the Promenade.

I do agree that players on entering the map from their ships should have a brief (and I mean VERY brief) sequence where they step through the door into the docking pylons and again when they transition from the Docking room to the Promenade. The lift into Ops could also use a MINOR sequence showing the player character riding up and disembarking, although this is not stricktly nessesary.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It needs something to do first. Without it, its a waste of time upgrading the visuals. As it is, its just another one in the long line of places you visit during the episode missions and never look back.
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    It needs something to do first. Without it, its a waste of time upgrading the visuals. As it is, its just another one in the long line of places you visit during the episode missions and never look back.

I disagree, I think it has something to do already, for the most part. Right now, it makes for a handy place to use the exchange, bank, mail, tailor, ship selector and vendors. Otherwise, you'd have to call your factions merchant ship or run all the way back to ESD or the other faction homeworlds or one of the other stations around that have some of those abilities.

I like the OP ideas for the most part, but agree also with the other poster that suggested separate maps for some of the other areas that would be fairly big... but not the tailors or security office...

I don't agree with the loading screens showing you walking through an airlock or riding a lift.

I think an open Quarks to the promenade should be some what easy to do, similar to the new Club 47.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I agree with the items mentioned in the OP above. I made some similar requests in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1334571&highlight=taco.

I'll just add the ones that don't overlap the OP's here:

* Make the Transporter Pads in OPs functional (I know we have Comm badges, but a "Beam to Ship" option here would be great! ...and on ESD too ) - but, I really like the 'docking' idea presented above as the primary means of egress to/from the station. ;)

* Fix the parking situation outside (I know this may not be in your area of expertise - but it would do wonders for immersion and congestion). What I mean by this is, move the spawn points for people's ships leaving DS9 from all being clustered in the middle of the upper pylons to...Large ship spawn points being both in the middle of the upper pylons AND lower pylons. With Small and Medium sized ship spawn points being scattered AROUND the outside edges of the docking ring.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I disagree, I think it has something to do already, for the most part. Right now, it makes for a handy place to use the exchange, bank, mail, tailor, ship selector and vendors. Otherwise, you'd have to call your factions merchant ship or run all the way back to ESD or the other faction homeworlds or one of the other stations around that have some of those abilities.
    In other words, it's no more important than any of the other stations around that have those facilities.

Before using any of those stations for exchange/bank/whatever, I'd try to:
    1. Summon Azura or its faction equivalent.
    2. Transwarp somewhere (probably the fleet spire if I wanted to come back where I started).
    3. Fly to a fleet holding if one is in the sector (Beta Ursae does).
    4. Switch to my freighter or ask for an invite if I didn't have one.

Only if none of those were available would I consider some backwater station with nothing else happening on it.