test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A *HUNDRED* Account Hijack Attempts In The Past Hour!

mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
Tried to send a trouble ticket to Cryptic they last time they pulled this a few weeks ago. All got was a "DUH-UHHHHH! We see no hijack attempts! DERRRRRRP!", yet I get my email inbox flooded with over a 100 attempts per hour this weekend.

Seems that trying to level a new account is so hard & nasty now that stealing another players' STO account is a more viable option. Good going, Cryptic!
Post edited by mhirtesc on

Comments

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sounds legit.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Sounds legit.

And what proof would satisfy you, troll?
    edited January 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    And what proof would satisfy you, troll?

Well, for a start you can post some screenshots. With your confidential information censored out, of course.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Tried to send a trouble ticket to Cryptic they last time they pulled this a few weeks ago. All got was a "DUH-UHHHHH! We see no hijack attempts! DERRRRRRP!", yet I get my email inbox flooded with over a 100 attempts per hour this weekend.

Seems that trying to level a new account is so hard & nasty now that stealing another players' STO account is a more viable option. Good going, Cryptic!

At that level of access attempts I rather doubt somebody's trying to break into your account to steal ur stuffz. I suspect they want to turn it into a spambot.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Since I got similar mails a few weeks ago (not that many but a few) I tend to believe it.
    edited January 2015
    Well, for a start you can post some screenshots. With your confidential information censored out, of course.

Here's one recent sampling (like Hell I'm going to retain the whole bunch of them, so please don't pull any of that "well that's not a hundred. snivelsnivelsnivel" garbage).

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2zyhsbc.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Here's one recent sampling (like Hell I'm going to retain the whole bunch of them, so please don't pull any of that "well that's not a hundred. snivelsnivelsnivel" garbage).

Yeah, I am apparently in the wrong for suggesting you back up your claim of 100 attempts. I apologize for not taking your statement at face value. I forget that we operate on the honor system on the STO forums. Silly me.

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. Now how about your e-mail(s) from Perfect World stating that they detected no hijacking attempts on your account? Again, with your confidential information censored, of course.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I am apparently in the wrong for suggesting you back up your claim of 100 attempts. I apologize for not taking your statement at face value. I forget that we operate on the honor system on the STO forums. Silly me.

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. Now how about your e-mail(s) from Perfect World stating that they detected no hijacking attempts on your account? Again, with your confidential information censored, of course.

Dude, you aren't my keeper. I do not need to run around doing stuff to appease YOU. I did more than I needed to just to provide you with a screencap and now you want to make me run around some more. Go foul up some other thread.
    edited January 2015
    Dude, you aren't my keeper. I do not need to run around doing stuff to appease YOU. I did more than I needed to just to provide you with a screencap and now you want to make me run around some more. Go foul up some other thread.

So, you are not willing to back up your claims that you state have happened?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Whilst I'm sure its not very nice, what exactly do you think we or the forum mods can do about it ?
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I had this happen about a month or so ago. A pain in the TRIBBLE as the support types were simply not helpful, just directing me to the password reset form rather than actually help me do what I wanted to do to rectify the problem, which was to change the email address associated with the account. It took 5 separate tickets to get it done as they kept replying "Use password reset form" and closing the ticket.

I ended up changing my password and other credentials too, to be on the safe side. The main defense against this sort of thing is a good solid set of credentials imo.
    I need a beer.

edited January 2015

No. I just refuse to be your dancing monkey.
    edited January 2015
    No. I just refuse to be your dancing monkey.

Then I refer you to my first response to your thread.

Sounds legit.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Then I refer you to my first response to your thread.

Sounds legit.

Fine. Don't believe it then. As others have mentioned, they're getting it too. That's a lot of "sounds legit". ;)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Whilst I'm sure its not very nice, what exactly do you think we or the forum mods can do about it ?

Well, the forum mods can close the thread. ;)

We can ask them to do so...we just can't make a petition asking them to do so. :P
    edited January 2015
    Fine. Don't believe it then. As others have mentioned, they're getting it too. That's a lot of "sounds legit". ;)

The plural of anecdote is not data.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't disbelieve you, but yeah, there's nothing we can do it. Either PWE's CS helps you, or not. Good luck.
  • kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ignore mr iconias skepticism hes a tinfoil hat kinda dude he even has proof of half life 3 being a thing soo yea ;-P(just messin with you icon)

anyways yea this sort of thing happens mostly when you register at fishy sites for 3rd party tools etc.

def happens if you do the other nasty thing we cant talk about but is the reason they want your account to do their work with.

im leaning towards the first you registered for a 3rd party tool such as a keybind maker or some such.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's one recent sampling
    http://oi59.tinypic.com/2zyhsbc.jpg
    I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I have no idea what I'm looking at there. What is that from? I have no idea what app that is - is that email?
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, it looks like a bunch of emails from PW's "forgot my password" address. (Not "a hundred", though. "A dozen" would have been closer to what was posted.)
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I would say that at this point in time there is nothing Cryptic can do for you. How another person got your email address is a different issue though. Why can't tech support see that there have been hijack attempts I cannot say. Perhaps they simply said, "Nah... there have been no attempts" and proceeded to go back reading their comic book.

I believe the only thing you can do is simply change the e-mail associated with your account. It might be easier said than done since I have not attempted to change my e-mail yet. I have only changed my password.

Even if tech support can see that there have been hijack attempts on your account, there is nothing they can do about it. They can technically attempt to trace the IP address of the individual attempted to hack your password, that takes time and a lot of effort. I am pretty sure they are not capable of doing that effectively. They would need to hire an outside security firm to do the monitor and tracing. Doing this is going to be pretty expensive; far too much money for a MMO company. Also, any smart hacker would be hiding behind a VPN which basically makes them anonymous and only increases the complexity of tracking the perpetrator.
  • darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Wouldn't some overzealous mod probably come along and, at best, just delete any such communications even if he does post them?
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    Sound like it's an issue. Contact PWE through the usual channels.

What bugs me is that there doesn't seem to be a system to flag these efforts (multiple attempts per period of time) that precludes sending further messages.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It is possible that PWE has no log in those attempts if those are fake emails anyway.

I have received Amazon account mails and some bills of mobile phone companys I have never been customer to.

Shady companys somehow can mimic near perfect Email adresses of big companies to trick customers into following a link, where you need to put your infos into.

I also received such mails in a hundred when I played Orccraft for some days and also SWTOR.
    Fake Orccraft mails made me close my old main Email adress because Hotmail blocked me already because of all these junk mails.

I think you can only see the difference between real and fake email adresses when you check their ID under properties or so.
    edited January 2015
    darthwoo wrote: »
    Wouldn't some overzealous mod probably come along and, at best, just delete any such communications even if he does post them?

Possibly. But if one wants some type of resolution or to make accusations, then a presentation of evidence is necessary.

Otherwise it is just hearsay. At the very least, if someone closed the thread they could forward the aforementioned evidence to those who handle that type of thing.

Which is not a guarantee of anything in of itself, but it has higher odds of resulting in a concession made in the OP's favor than simply making claims without evidence.

To take it one step further. Even the closing of the thread could be used as ammunition against PWE, since evidence of questionable ethical integrity would be silenced. Which would make the OP's point even more valid.

However, without the presentation of evidence, the thread would be closed because OP decided that hearsay on the STO forums was a productive use of their time and energy. Which paints that commentary and accusation in an extremely different light as opposed to commentary and accusations with more evidence to back up one's claim.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've received 4 mails today from PWE about an ID request. A request I never made (I use my login pretty much everyday, unless I suddenly suffer from acute memory loss, I'm not going to forget it).
    Dear erei1,

You have requested that we send you your User Name. If you did not make this request, simply ignore this email. Your account is not in jeopardy.

Username: ****

All the best,
    -Perfect World Entertainment, Inc.
    This week, I've received 2-3 mail about password reset request or username request. I made none of them.

It's kinda scary, but on the bright side, if it was a hacker, I would have been TRIBBLE right away, and no mail would have been sent.
    I don't understand.

I just checked, and I can't find where to request my username. I can request my password on arc, but no mail is received. Not the first time I had a problem with my password, and no mail was sent.
    I really don't understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, what you're saying is, someone set a bot to try to hack your account. And every last time it failed, as you did not respond to any of those emails asking you to verify the attempt.

I'm really not seeing what exactly you're upset about. The verification system worked as designed; the bot was unable to hack your account. PWE isn't seeing anything, because as far as their system is concerned, nothing happened. Other than a user attempting to change their password, of course, which probably happens a couple thousand times a day across all PW games.

So, you've now proved Account Verification is indeed a secure system. Thanks!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, what you're saying is, someone set a bot to try to hack your account. And every last time it failed, as you did not respond to any of those emails asking you to verify the attempt.

I'm really not seeing what exactly you're upset about. The verification system worked as designed; the bot was unable to hack your account. PWE isn't seeing anything, because as far as their system is concerned, nothing happened. Other than a user attempting to change their password, of course, which probably happens a couple thousand times a day across all PW games.

So, you've now proved Account Verification is indeed a secure system. Thanks!
    Are you avoiding the point on purpose, or are you just born that way ?
    I get my email inbox flooded with over a 100 attempts per hour this weekend.
    If a bot try a hundred time to reset your password, you'll receive a hundred mail. Can you see the problem ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Unless you have some sort of tight limit on your inbox size, no, I don't see the problem. Those aren't 100 emails that require a response - those are 100 emails that require that you not respond, which is literally the easiest thing in the world.

Again, these are emails proving that your account is secure, so long as you don't say "okay" to any of the password-change requests. What exactly is the issue?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.