test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Esd

tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
Ok, so I started saving ESD off for the Foundry tonight, and I kind of got stuck.

Now, if I remember right, things like opening doors, don't work in premade foundry maps, is that right? I seem to remember people running into the door in UPS when it went in. I think that's also how we ended up with the Thundercougarfalconbird.

I'm curious though, if simple animations DO work? i.e. I know that the Thundercougarfalconbird showed all of the models at once, instead of giving you the option to select them. But did it still spin around in circles? or was it stuck in one position?

Now, the door stuff is something we call "Gate Tech" and it's used for all sorts of things. In ESD, all of the holographic consoles in Ops use the same tech. So the question is, do I just leave them in, and they won't work. Or, do I remove them all, and let you place the prop version that should already be in the foundry, which I think DOES work, when placed.

This is a similar question for the sittable chairs. I'm guessing the sit tech doesn't work on a saved off map (can anyone confirm that?), so is having sittable chairs important to foundry authors? Would it be better to pull all of the chairs, and let you place the prop versions that work? I feel like that's a lot of work to rebuild ESD each time if you DON'T happen to care about chairs for that particular mission.

Opinions?
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
Post edited by tacofangs on

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    It's been a long time, but I think the Thundercougarfalconbird did rotate.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yes, simple animations do work, but the tech to trigger doors opening or swap out holo-displays. does not. The couple of things that come to mind though are the turboloft doors and the door to Club 47.

As for whether the holographic consoles and benches should be included or not, I'm not sure. I personally would lean that not including them offers more flexibility, but I can see arguments for both ways.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As for the Thundercougerfalconbird... check out the shipyard in either ESD1.0 or First City1.0. They have smaller cousins. You might recall that the ship hologram thingy was actually used way back then, and that version was separated by ship tier. IE there's a holo for tier 1, etc.... BEHOLD!

I think they rotate, but it's hard to remember.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is say empty is better. Allows you to reuse for other purposes or show in different stages, for example under attack. You can be more creative as if your not going to be, may as well use the social version.
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Couldn't we place sittable chairs over top of the pre-placed chairs if we wanted them to be usable? I'd rather have ESD furnished. Any way we can get NPC contacts for Admiral Quinn and the other familiar faces of ESD? That would be a big help as well. Again, thanks for your time adding what you do to the foundry. Always appreciated.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Any way we can get NPC contacts for Admiral Quinn and the other familiar faces of ESD?

Given Quinn is your main head honcho for mission giving, it is odd he nor ambassador merriment can be mission giving but his secretary can. We can recreate Quinn but our crayons can't be mission givers.
    EDIT: creations, not crayons. Perils of writing on your phone with the auto correct on. It's a ducking nightmare.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Given Quinn is your main head honcho for mission giving, it is odd he nor ambassador merriment can be mission giving but his secretary can. We can recreate Quinn but our crayons can't be mission givers.
    EDIT: creations, not crayons. Perils of writing on your phone with the auto correct on. It's a ducking nightmare.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say a decision was made early on to keep Foundry interacts out of high-traffic points of contact. None of the mission givers are available as contacts. Now whether that decision was correct is another matter.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It'd be nice if we at least had a premade costume for him. Recreating him is a PAIN...

I think that having chairs consoles etc is good, since it'd be very difficult to match the locations of the ones in the live ESD. Maybe make two? one with and one without?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    It'd be nice if we at least had a premade costume for him. Recreating him is a PAIN...

I think that having chairs consoles etc is good, since it'd be very difficult to match the locations of the ones in the live ESD. Maybe make two? one with and one without?

While there is precedent for this, as we have two versions of those generic maps with props and without, the question is, how much more work would that make for Taco?

If I had to pick one, I'd say go without props.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Either way, but excited about this. I'm sure an ESD invasion is on the cards, but I bet the big thing people will be doing is using the shuttlebay interior as a location. That would be a very unique space.

Oh,. that begs the question regarding animations, are we not to have any of the ships moving around the exterior or through the shuttlebay area? I'm presuming not from the above.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh,. that begs the question regarding animations, are we not to have any of the ships moving around the exterior or through the shuttlebay area? I'm presuming not from the above.

They should still work. As far as I can tell, they're just a simple animation.
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If the shuttlebay is made available, it should probably get baked-in invisi-walls to keep players or BOffs from wandering into space. (When new ESD first appeared on Tribble, it was possible to step outside the shuttlebay ports into space and "fall" away from ESD without asphyxiating in the vacuum, even though you technically no longer should have been subject to ESD's artificial gravity once you stepped off; you were actually just drifting in a southerly direction relative to Earth.)
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2015

My plan is to rip those out, and save them off as their own object, which you can place whereever. They won't have collision, but you can put them in ESD if you want (or not), or wherever else you might like some flying shuttles/workbees. (they all just fly in circles)
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    This sounds like a good plan. I'm sure we could find a few uses for those. ;)
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    My plan is to rip those out, and save them off as their own object, which you can place whereever. They won't have collision, but you can put them in ESD if you want (or not), or wherever else you might like some flying shuttles/workbees. (they all just fly in circles)

That sounds awesome. Lots of people use sky traffic unfortunately those are all breen ships. There's also the Starfleet shuttle sky traffic at the academy. Would this be a good time to give us the runabouts and other craft as placeable objects like the one shuttle we already have?
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    While it might be a pain for an author to put everything back in when using the map, I can really agree that it would be better to rip out the non-functional props so that they can be replaced with functional ones by authors. (Having the animated craft ported over as props is also extremely useful.)

I'm also wondering about something. If the shuttles, work bees and runabouts used as static props in the map are going to be ripped out as well, would it be possible to use the opportunity to port them into the Foundry as separate props? Currently only the Type 8 shuttle is available for ground maps, but there are others that would be very valuable that were used in ESD.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There is a Bee, at least in the costume generator, I've seen it (though that would only be a reskin of course, but then I can't think of many occasions when you'd want to fight a standard Bee).
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Taco, while you're digging around in there, can you please take a look at the skyfile for new Earth orbit. I hate to say this because its pedantic, but the astronomer in my can't stop cringing... you put it in BACKWARDS. IE. the center of the galaxy is in the northern hemisphere rather than southern. Like I said, pedantic, but noticable.

Also if we can get the skyfile that would be amazing too! (Especially if you can get the new sun into it!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wombat140 wrote: »
    There is a Bee, at least in the costume generator, I've seen it (though that would only be a reskin of course, but then I can't think of many occasions when you'd want to fight a standard Bee).

I meant a version that can be placed in ground maps. A prop. Like the shuttle that you can place.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ah, sorry, my fault, would have known that if I'd read the posting properly!
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Ok, so I started saving ESD off for the Foundry tonight, and I kind of got stuck.

Now, if I remember right, things like opening doors, don't work in premade foundry maps, is that right? I seem to remember people running into the door in UPS when it went in. I think that's also how we ended up with the Thundercougarfalconbird.

I'm curious though, if simple animations DO work? i.e. I know that the Thundercougarfalconbird showed all of the models at once, instead of giving you the option to select them. But did it still spin around in circles? or was it stuck in one position?

If you mean the Rotating Ships in UP, it rotates, and iirc, its just eh Rhode island model.

Now, the door stuff is something we call "Gate Tech" and it's used for all sorts of things. In ESD, all of the holographic consoles in Ops use the same tech. So the question is, do I just leave them in, and they won't work. Or, do I remove them all, and let you place the prop version that should already be in the foundry, which I think DOES work, when placed.

This is a similar question for the sittable chairs. I'm guessing the sit tech doesn't work on a saved off map (can anyone confirm that?), so is having sittable chairs important to foundry authors? Would it be better to pull all of the chairs, and let you place the prop versions that work? I feel like that's a lot of work to rebuild ESD each time if you DON'T happen to care about chairs for that particular mission.

Opinions?

Do you have a "Foundry" on the internal server where you could test, if the holoconsole would work if left? or would it have to go to tribble for us to test?

Normally I would say, pull them, but since there are so many, I would really like to have them there so they don't take up budget space.

I don't mind pulling the chairs, but if we can swing it, I would like to have the Holo Consoles baked in, if they will still function.

Oh and I've said this before I would really like a second version with no ships on the Inside, so I may slightly wework your glorious map for a TOS-Era Mission. I mean the Stationary Ships.

If at all Possible, can we get a few of the Giant Ships added as assets.

maybe the main Ones, that I know have already been there once or twice.
    • Galaxy
    • Defiant
    • Intrepid
    • Hope/Pasteur
    • Rhose island
    • Ambassador
    • Galaxy
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    primar13 wrote: »

Oh and I've said this before I would really like a second version with no ships on the Inside, so I may slightly wework your glorious map for a TOS-Era Mission. I mean the Stationary Ships.

If at all Possible, can we get a few of the Giant Ships added as assets.

maybe the main Ones, that I know have already been there once or twice.
    • Galaxy
    • Defiant
    • Intrepid
    • Hope/Pasteur
    • Rhose island
    • Ambassador
    • Galaxy

Those would be very nice, Particularly if the Intrepid could be made available on Outdoormaps as a landed version prop perhaps? Like that KDF mission with the Landed Bird of Prey?
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I vote keep everything in there, except obviously the working doors.
    And thank you for doing this for us, Mr Fangs