test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why I am getting frustrated with this game.

sineris245sineris245 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Here is a list of the reasons why I have not been spending much time playing STO lately. I think that all of these are fixable, but ultimately it makes me sad that a game I had so much fun playing over the last nearly 5 years has become nothing but frustration for me.

1. I can't listen to the game anymore when I play. My headset, I have determined is crashing the game to desktop.(this only started with the launch of Delta Rising) I have updated every driver I can, and yet, when I play STO, I have to completely unplug my headset and play without that added immersion. This is especially bothersome given that one of the key selling points of this game is the voice over work you have had the actors/actresses come in and do, and I haven't heard any of it.

2. Lag. This is a killer to most online games, but it becomes extremely irritating when I nearly finish a mission only to have the server kick me off, and have to start back at the beginning when I log back in.

3. The amount of experience required to level from 51-60. This expansion came out last october iirc, and my highest character to date is 57, which I only achieved in the past few days. There are not enough missions available to make this seem like anything but a massive grind, and if that is the case, there are other games I would rather play, that make it seem like I'm actually making a dent in my leveling progress. This also happens to be the main reason I stopped playing SWTOR, as I was getting fed up with time consuming missions with little experience reward.

I miss what this game was, and I sincerely hope that you are able to fix the issues, because I do love that I am able to captain my own starship in a star trek universe, but until it is, I don't forsee myself pushing to continue playing. I'm sorry, but I have had enough. Gaming is supposed to be fun, not a constant drain on my free time that ends up causing more stress than it relieves.
Post edited by sineris245 on

Comments

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Are you using a USB headset or a regular 3.5mm plug one?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • sineris245sineris245 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have the Logitech Wireless Afterglow Headset, it's got plugs for both USB and a 3.5mm iirc.
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sineris245 wrote: »
    There are not enough missions available to make this seem like anything but a massive grind, and if that is the case, there are other games I would rather play

And that's the problem, lots of sinks, very little content. I can't even be bothered to level up my last ship. I have played the same missions too many times and the missions reward nothing to put into the sinks. Oh well, there are plenty of games in the sea. I am not sure why but I still login to rotate the R&D missions for my final few schools. 5 minutes of game time a day.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sineris245 wrote: »
    Here is a list of the reasons why I have not been spending much time playing STO lately. I think that all of these are fixable, but ultimately it makes me sad that a game I had so much fun playing over the last nearly 5 years has become nothing but frustration for me.

1. I can't listen to the game anymore when I play. My headset, I have determined is crashing the game to desktop.(this only started with the launch of Delta Rising) I have updated every driver I can, and yet, when I play STO, I have to completely unplug my headset and play without that added immersion. This is especially bothersome given that one of the key selling points of this game is the voice over work you have had the actors/actresses come in and do, and I haven't heard any of it.

2. Lag. This is a killer to most online games, but it becomes extremely irritating when I nearly finish a mission only to have the server kick me off, and have to start back at the beginning when I log back in.

3. The amount of experience required to level from 51-60. This expansion came out last october iirc, and my highest character to date is 57, which I only achieved in the past few days. There are not enough missions available to make this seem like anything but a massive grind, and if that is the case, there are other games I would rather play, that make it seem like I'm actually making a dent in my leveling progress. This also happens to be the main reason I stopped playing SWTOR, as I was getting fed up with time consuming missions with little experience reward.

I miss what this game was, and I sincerely hope that you are able to fix the issues, because I do love that I am able to captain my own starship in a star trek universe, but until it is, I don't forsee myself pushing to continue playing. I'm sorry, but I have had enough. Gaming is supposed to be fun, not a constant drain on my free time that ends up causing more stress than it relieves.

1). You really need to ask this question in the Technical side. There could be many issues such as the game is trying to use a different sound device than what you have plugged in and such. I cannot assist you with this but maybe someone in the tech portion of the forums can. I highly doubt this is a widespread problem and is more than likely something locally with your system.

2). All games have lag. Again, this is something to ask in the Tech forums. There are MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY (etc) paths from your PC to the servers in Boston. At ANY point along the way, there can be a bottleneck that will slow performance down (looking at you Cogentco). Again, this is the wrong forum to try to help you with it.

3). The level 50-60 is a journey. It IS BY DESIGN going to take some time to get there. When you understand that, then you can start to look at it as I will get there when I get there. There is nothing besides some DR story and Elite queues that requires level 60. Enjoy some PvE queues in between the journey.

Fun is what YOU make of it. What is fun for my may not be fun for you or the next person reading this. You need to make your own fun. Cryptic can help but you have to know what is fun to you. Is blowing things up in 0.0001 secs fun? Maybe for you but not me.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck. Again, ask questions 1 and 2 in the Tech Forums to see if there is anything those guys can do for your issues.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wanna talk about frustrating ?

I waited 3 weeks to pop my Delta rep cap because like all other T5 reps you got some skill points or BNP's or something besides dilith. I spend an hour looking for the claim T5 delta project in the rep tabs, and travelling to/from Dyson command looking for an officer I gotta speak to, only to have it indicate it auto-claimed. After a few more minutes opening and closing other tabs to see if the trait awarded (it didn't) I go back to see it finally decided to list the project, so I take it- feed it it's 5 marks, and claim the results. What do I get for all the headache's ? Nada + 50k dilith. I then spend the next 3 hours doing stupid stuff just to get the 20K in exp points I expected from the T5 rep claim so that I can finally reach T60 on my toon.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    3). The level 50-60 is a journey. It IS BY DESIGN going to take some time to get there. When you understand that, then you can start to look at it as I will get there when I get there. There is nothing besides some DR story and Elite queues that requires level 60. Enjoy some PvE queues in between the journey.

Fun is what YOU make of it. What is fun for my may not be fun for you or the next person reading this. You need to make your own fun. Cryptic can help but you have to know what is fun to you. Is blowing things up in 0.0001 secs fun? Maybe for you but not me.

No, levels 50-60 aren't a journey. They're a corralled, long patrol mission grind. Perhaps if XP rewards in the rest of the game hadn't been nerfed to hell, it might be a journey. As it is? Nah.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I really! Don't get the complaining YES!! there are certain aspects of a Grind in this game but Spec points aren't one of them TBH, I have 6 Toons, My Main at Lvl 60+ with about 20 spec points to get until full tree and all my remaining alts are above Level 57 from doffing alone...

I play about 10-15 hours a week and do not go out of my way to grind spec points yet i seem to have them almost complete on my main toon.

The biggest thing for me is the Alt issue and how it will take about 3-4 months on every toon to get to the same stage as my main soooo i hope they do something about this soon so alts can get a discount or something..

BUT!! if not then no harm no foul it will give me something to work towards in between updates and content adds.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Higher difficulties mean it's more exp to grind. I may not be a fan of HOW MUCH you need to grind, but it's not a big deal really.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    1). You really need to ask this question in the Technical side. There could be many issues such as the game is trying to use a different sound device than what you have plugged in and such. I cannot assist you with this but maybe someone in the tech portion of the forums can. I highly doubt this is a widespread problem and is more than likely something locally with your system.

2). All games have lag. Again, this is something to ask in the Tech forums. There are MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY (etc) paths from your PC to the servers in Boston. At ANY point along the way, there can be a bottleneck that will slow performance down (looking at you Cogentco). Again, this is the wrong forum to try to help you with it.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck. Again, ask questions 1 and 2 in the Tech Forums to see if there is anything those guys can do for your issues.

Your really think they did on purpose to make the grind from 50 to 60 day longer? It feels like that but just don't know what going on there in PWE, CA local offices.

Lag can be cleaned up by the computer systems files gets a lot of junk data files from game client. If you do a simple cleanup and run ipconfig /flushdns might help some. Depends where they live too. ISP could be working on the connections. All sort of things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    50-60 stopped being a journey when when Cryptic forgot to add enough questing content to get you there. I can just imagine the hilarity if WoW quests only got you to 95 and Blizzard told their player base the last five levels were designed to be a journey; just beating on mobs. Over. And over. Again. No story left at this point, just straight up grind.
  • dracostalondracostalon Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I dont know why i keep getting Disconected from server every time i log on.I have searched for the fix to find out nothing that helps.It seems that since i havent played in a while (had no dfs) and i am now that there is a problem with the fact when i do get logged in it looks like every one that is in have purchased NEW SHIPS you got that right.I cant see myself getting back into a game and spending MONEY AND TIME not knowing if i can play.And i really liked the game ALOT. :(:confused:
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sonnikku wrote: »
    50-60 stopped being a journey when when Cryptic forgot to add enough questing content to get you there. I can just imagine the hilarity if WoW quests only got you to 95 and Blizzard told their player base the last five levels were designed to be a journey; just beating on mobs. Over. And over. Again. No story left at this point, just straight up grind.

Yes, this. This a million times. People say "oh, every MMO has grind" but not every MMO feels the need to make leveling up a decades-long epic slog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!