test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP cruiser help

commanderefficommandereffi Member Posts: 33 Arc User
edited January 2015 in PvP Gameplay
Ive been having some mixed results when it comes to space PVP. I'm a lvl 59 ENG with an Intel cruiser, when fighting against other cruisers, it either ends in a stalemate or I win. When it comes to tac ships, I get owned. Below is my build:

fore weapons:

[Nanite Disruptor Dual Beam Bank Mk XII [Dmg]x3] very rare

[Nanite Disruptor Dual Beam Bank Mk XII [Dmg]x3] very rare

[Omega Plasma Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [CrtH] [Dmg]x2] very rare

[Gravimetric Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII] very rare

Deflector:

[Nukara Deflector Array Mk XII]

Impulse:

[Nukara Impulse Engines Mk XII]

Warp Core:

[Obelisk Subspace Rift Warp Core]

Shields:

about to obtain the Nukara Shields

Aft Weapons:

[Vaadwaur Cluster Torpedo Mk XIII [CrtD] [CrtH]] rare

[Ancient Omni-Directional Beam Array [Acc] [Arc] [Dmg]] very rare

[Kinetic Cutting Beam Mk XII [Dmg]x3] very rare

[Omni-Directional Antiproton Beam Array Mk XII [Acc] [Arc] [Dmg] [PvP Dmg]] ultra rare

Engineering:

[Console - Engineering - Monotanium Alloy Mk XII] rare

[Console - Engineering - Neutronium Alloy Mk XII] rare

[Console - Engineering - Neutronium Alloy Mk XIII] rare

[Console - Universal - Assimilated Module]

[Console - Universal - Nukara Particle Converter]

Science Console:

[Console - Science - Shield Refrequencer Mk XII [+PartGen]] very rare

[Console - Science - Exotic Particle Field Exciter Mk XII [Inert]] ultra rare

TAC:

[Console - Universal - Structural Integrity Field Siphon]

[Console - Tactical - Disruptor Induction Coil Mk XII] rare

[Console - Tactical - Disruptor Induction Coil Mk XII] rare

Abilities:

Jam targeting sensors

Beam Array Overload 1

Torpedo high yield 2

Torpedo spread 3

Emergency power to shields 1

engineering team 2

Directed energy module 2

Intel Abilities:

Viral Impulse Burst 1

Electromagnetic pulse probe 1

Evade Target Lock 1

Ionic Turbulence 1

Kinetic Magnet 2

Energy Weapon: Surgical Strikes 2

Thoughts?
Post edited by commandereffi on

Comments

• giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Get ACCX2 CrtD or ACCX3 weapons, use one type of energy only (only dis etc.), don't put universals in tact slots, use tactical team, use tac team, use tact team.

dump all that weapons ****, 4x DBB front 2x beams aft 1x disruptor omni beam (9 mil on exchange) and cutting beam.

abilities: Tac team 1, attack pattern beta 1, attack pattern omega 1.
    you dont need kinetic magnet
    dump evade target lock 1
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    the only winning move is not to play

signed

the former pvp build help guy
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    you're using six intel powers. three out of three of the most broken ones (ionic, emp, surgical).

That's enough for me to spit on your ship. No way you're getting help here as far as it concerns me. Nothing personal, but I I dislike intel abusers; they contribute in killing queues even more.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2015

signed

Yep :(

I need to write more to post.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'll first start of by saying that if you're using Chain disables or Surgical Strikes, you're putting a gigantic bullseye over your head. Using broken abilities is what gets people to target and eliminate you with extreme prejudice. I'm not saying you're doing it on purpose (a lot of people don't know that these things are broken, let alone why), just a heads up :D

Now, onto your build:
    1. I see you're suing DBBs up front. It'll be easier for you, and provide more damage, if you switch to Beam Arrays. Why? They have a bigger arc so they have more 'on target time.' FAW will hit more targets and the larger arc is especially helpful with everyone zooming around at like 80 speed nowadays.
    2. Shields wise, people have different opinions. I prefer to stick with the good ol' Elite Fleet Resilient Shields. Can't go wrong with them.
    3. Same thing with your aft weapons - switch to Beam Arrays. Destuctible torps are a liability now, since there are so many AoEs going around. A Beam Array will give you more damage since it's always firing.
    4. Pick a single energy type and go with it. People swear by AP since you can get 2 Omni beams and it's damage is boosted by having high innate CrtH values, which almost everyone has. Disruptor is fine, though. Just don't mix and match (KCB being the exception).
    5. Switch out that Shield Refrequencer you have in your Sci console slots. I highly recommend putting Leech in there. I'd go so far as to saying it's a must-have for anyone using Energy weapons.
    6. Never ever ever put anything Universal in your Tac slots. Put another Disruptor console there and move that Universal console up to your Eng (drop the Monotanium or Nukara Particle Converter).
    7. FAW FAW FAW. Use FAW. BO is nice because it always Crits now, but FAW will give you more consistent damage. There's a reason everyone is running FAW :p
    8. Drop the Torpedo abilities. If you want to keep a torp, my suggestion is either Gravimetric or Plasma Emission with Spread.
    9. TacTeam - make sure you're using at least one. Having 2 allows you to cycle them and will boost your lifespan considerably.
    10. Pick up another EPtS, or cycle one with EPtW using the Damage Control Engineer DOffs.
    11. DEM is really meh. It was always meh, except for when people used it with the Marion DOff. People have moved on now, and now DEM is once again easily forgetten.
    12. Don't use as many Intel abilities. You'll get a bigger bonus to your life and damage if you focus on your Eng/Tac abilities more. The best Intel ability (that isn't broken) right now is OSS. Try it out, you'll like it.
    13. Kinetic Magnet is just... terrible. Avoid it.
    14. EMP, Ionic, and SS get you a large amount of hate from the players. It's your choice to use them, but I'd highly recommend against it. For both quality of play for everyone and because you can do better elsewhere.

If you need any other suggestions or more pointed guidance, please feel free to ask.
  • etherealplanesetherealplanes Member Posts: 414
    edited January 2015
    you're using six intel powers. three out of three of the most broken ones (ionic, emp, surgical).

That's enough for me to spit on your ship. No way you're getting help here as far as it concerns me. Nothing personal, but I I dislike intel abusers; they contribute in killing queues even more.

Which is why I am proud to be flying a T5U Rommy Vet ship that's immune to fbp noobs now :)

In any case you are talking down to the op for using intel stuff. But ponder this have you ever considered this guy just flat out has no idea what he's doing wrong? He might be a newbie to pvp went to the boff trainer and saw some trainable intel powers and went to work. Your talking down to someone that doesn't know **** about what he is doing wrong Mr pvp "savior". How about inviting him to your T5U channel instead of ripping him a new *******? Geez even I know when to kill the ******* routine to help new players. I have simply never flown a cruiser to be able to provide the op with any solid help. Sigh
  • etherealplanesetherealplanes Member Posts: 414
    edited January 2015

signed

That reference pretty much sums the current state of pvp

Joshua: A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

Space pvp strange game today for sure. Yes we can win battles but never the war against craptic/pwe here. I had more fun playing pogo no limit texas hold em poker the other night then I had in pvp since DR launch. Hell I even got a little QQ that I wish had screened. Someone with a 1700's rating (advanced) QQing about me beating them with my newbie 1500 rating :) HAXXX for sure on pogo games!
    edited January 2015

signed

Nailed it.
    praxi5 wrote: »
    I'll first start of by saying that if you're using Chain disables or Surgical Strikes, you're putting a gigantic bullseye over your head. Using broken abilities is what gets people to target and eliminate you with extreme prejudice. I'm not saying you're doing it on purpose (a lot of people don't know that these things are broken, let alone why), just a heads up :D

Now, onto your build:
    1. I see you're suing DBBs up front. It'll be easier for you, and provide more damage, if you switch to Beam Arrays. Why? They have a bigger arc so they have more 'on target time.' FAW will hit more targets and the larger arc is especially helpful with everyone zooming around at like 80 speed nowadays.
    2. Shields wise, people have different opinions. I prefer to stick with the good ol' Elite Fleet Resilient Shields. Can't go wrong with them.
    3. Same thing with your aft weapons - switch to Beam Arrays. Destuctible torps are a liability now, since there are so many AoEs going around. A Beam Array will give you more damage since it's always firing.
    4. Pick a single energy type and go with it. People swear by AP since you can get 2 Omni beams and it's damage is boosted by having high innate CrtH values, which almost everyone has. Disruptor is fine, though. Just don't mix and match (KCB being the exception).
    5. Switch out that Shield Refrequencer you have in your Sci console slots. I highly recommend putting Leech in there. I'd go so far as to saying it's a must-have for anyone using Energy weapons.
    6. Never ever ever put anything Universal in your Tac slots. Put another Disruptor console there and move that Universal console up to your Eng (drop the Monotanium or Nukara Particle Converter).
    7. FAW FAW FAW. Use FAW. BO is nice because it always Crits now, but FAW will give you more consistent damage. There's a reason everyone is running FAW :p
    8. Drop the Torpedo abilities. If you want to keep a torp, my suggestion is either Gravimetric or Plasma Emission with Spread.
    9. TacTeam - make sure you're using at least one. Having 2 allows you to cycle them and will boost your lifespan considerably.
    10. Pick up another EPtS, or cycle one with EPtW using the Damage Control Engineer DOffs.
    11. DEM is really meh. It was always meh, except for when people used it with the Marion DOff. People have moved on now, and now DEM is once again easily forgetten.
    12. Don't use as many Intel abilities. You'll get a bigger bonus to your life and damage if you focus on your Eng/Tac abilities more. The best Intel ability (that isn't broken) right now is OSS. Try it out, you'll like it.
    13. Kinetic Magnet is just... terrible. Avoid it.
    14. EMP, Ionic, and SS get you a large amount of hate from the players. It's your choice to use them, but I'd highly recommend against it. For both quality of play for everyone and because you can do better elsewhere.

If you need any other suggestions or more pointed guidance, please feel free to ask.

Nailed it as well.
  • cronicus666cronicus666 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2015

This is why I call you a freaken douchebag Ricardo you needlessly insult someone asking for help.

The developers looked at Ionic it is working as intended, Surgical Strikes is powerful because there is no diminishing returns on crit stacking.

Any skill that boosts acc and CrtH means you focus on maxing CrtD that allows you to maximize your DPH THATS WHY good intelships with surgical strikes hit so hard.

It's not that the skill is broken it's because Crit rates are out of control your blaming the symptom for the disease use your brain man.

as to the op I'll give you a link to what I used to use in pvp with my level 60 Engineer captain. Made some changes with upgrades but what I'm going to post will be pvp viable.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=usssteliokontos_0

that should help you out op now what works for one person won't always work for another BUT this does work for my engineer character so it is a perfectly viable template for you to check out.

Hope this helps ya out man.

Tiberius Kirk Ka-tet
    edited January 2015
    This is why I call you a freaken douchebag Ricardo you needlessly insult someone asking for help.

The developers looked at Ionic it is working as intended, Surgical Strikes is powerful because there is no diminishing returns on crit stacking.

Any skill that boosts acc and CrtH means you focus on maxing CrtD that allows you to maximize your DPH THATS WHY good intelships with surgical strikes hit so hard.

It's not that the skill is broken it's because Crit rates are out of control your blaming the symptom for the disease use your brain man.

as to the op I'll give you a link to what I used to use in pvp with my level 60 Engineer captain. Made some changes with upgrades but what I'm going to post will be pvp viable.

that should help you out op now what works for one person won't always work for another BUT this does work for my engineer character so it is a perfectly viable template for you to check out.

Tiberius Kirk Ka-tet

I call your BS. Devs said it's good, then it's PvP legit. Surgical balanced, ionic balanced. I may be a douchebag to you, but it's not that I care about a description made by some idiot which has an IQ lower than a monocellular entity

Try to say that again in PvP channels and see how you get bullseyed on first sight with extreme prejudice.
    edited January 2015

Tiberius Kirk Ka-tet

First things first.
    No insulting because lol thet makes you look likw worse than etherealplanes lel

Maybe working as intended isn't balanced... did that thouht ever enter your mind? thinkabout it. If devs put in the game a cnsole that shoots a deadly beam that does more than 200k crit, would you say that's balanced because devs said its working as intended?

(oh wait, thats my Faeth's lance...)

Anyway, as Ric said, using intel cheese (whihc is cheese because it has NO hard counter) will only make you look like an idiot. Try saying intel and ionic is balanced in OPVP lol, look what happens haha
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015

Oh TRIBBLE off, if you have nothing to add to the thread and are only here to TRIBBLE on a new player trying to get PVP advice then stay the gosh darned fornicating heck out.

@OP: Your build lacks synergy. Your nukara space set boosts tetryon stuff, but you aren't running tets. You have way too many torpedoes for not enough benefit. You're running mixed energy types (antiproton, disruptor).

Pick one energy type and run that. Run one torpedo period, or one fore, one aft. Don't run the vaadwaur cluster torp, it's garbage for PVP because tricos don't detonate in a clump, they bounce off eachother. I'd suggest dropping the eclipse console, it's not great and doesn't help you very much. Replace it with another weapon console, antiproton would be best but disruptors can work well (especially elachi ones).

Don't use high yield if you're running torps that make themselves targetable with it. Use spread 3 and neutronics if you have them, Thoron Infused quants or the counter command photon if you don't, and maybe the breen torp aft if you absolutely have to run a cluster.

Run at least three beams for and at least two beams aft.

Dump all your intel abilities but Surgical Strikes 2 or 3 if you can get it, and Ionic Turbulence. Add auxillary to the structural integrity field 1 and possibly reverse shield polarity if you have room.

Run two copies of Emergency Power to Shields 1 or one copy of that and one copy of EPtEngines or weapons (your choice).

Replace shield refrequencers with hull/shield healing fleet embassy science consoles.
    edited January 2015
    illcadia wrote: »
    Oh TRIBBLE off, if you have nothing to add to the thread and are only here to **** on a new player trying to get PVP advice then stay the gosh darned fornicating heck out.

lol, insulting only thing you can do? ^^
    --

--
    Operation Dingo 1977

edited January 2015
    giotariz wrote: »
    lol, insulting only thing you can do? ^^

And sniping from the sidelines is apparently your special talent.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hell boys!!!..... get urselves together lol :P...
    edited January 2015
    And sniping from the sidelines is apparently your special talent.

My talent is blowing stuff up in pvp ^^
    --

--
    Operation Dingo 1977

edited January 2015
    giotariz wrote: »
    My talent is blowing stuff up in pvp ^^

If that were the case you'd be doing that. Instead you're here whining like a little baby.
    edited January 2015
    If that were the case you'd be doing that. Instead you're here whining like a little baby.

whining?

im just having fun mate, youre soooooooo easy ^^
    --

--
    Operation Dingo 1977

edited January 2015

Experience taught me that only those who say the words "whine" and "baby" are the ones ranting. Gio's taking all your words with classy nonchalance. kudos to you my fellow Duo wingman :cool:

To my italian m8: L'hai sbombardato a grappoli! Come... Come... Come una catapulta!
    edited January 2015
    ....really dudes....

@op:
    many good suggestions in here! i'll add just a lil sidenote: may keep the nukara console as it gives 10% acc for beam weapons. that alone is a BIG plus for running it in pvp. as for me, i run it on almost all my cruiser builds.
    edited January 2015
    www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=dpseclipse_0

made this a while back as a pve DPS build. for pvp you will want SS3 at COM probably, lose the DEM and put ionic 1 in its place.

you can drop evade target lock and put ET in its place, and use the universal ENS for anything else. with SS being a better skill then FAW for pvp, you could put FAW at ENS, wile you use the LTC for APO1 or something.

stuff like that. need 3 tech doffs of course, and the reciprocity trait is a must have too.
  • entrax11entrax11 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This really is hilarious. The OP is obviously a player with nearly no clue about PVP, at least what I can see from his post and for sure does not know how broken some things are. Then this guy does the exact right thing, using the forums for it's purpose....asking for help. What did he get? Right...3 pages of bull**** mixed with TRIBBLE, insults and arrogance from players I did not even know a year ago, people that are not known for innovative builts either.

Kudos to the dudes in this thread who actually tried to help him and did a good job as well. Seriously, if I would be new to PVP I would take this thread as my first and last PVP "experience".

@OP take the good advice given in this thread, because there are enough usefull ideas hidden in this mess of a thread.

@entrax11 if you want to hit me up in game if you have a question. As you can see....no need to write in the forums when 70% of a GOOD thread are being used for off topic stuff.
    edited January 2015
    www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=dpseclipse_0

made this a while back as a pve DPS build. for pvp you will want SS3 at COM probably, lose the DEM and put ionic 1 in its place.

you can drop evade target lock and put ET in its place, and use the universal ENS for anything else. with SS being a better skill then FAW for pvp, you could put FAW at ENS, wile you use the LTC for APO1 or something.

stuff like that. need 3 tech doffs of course, and the reciprocity trait is a must have too.

No, no, no, no... Don't use Surgical, Don't use Ionic, don't use EMP. Have the strength to say no to them as many experienced PvPers did. queues are bleeding right now, don't perpetrate their near permanent death by stabbing them with the above.
    edited January 2015
    No, no, no, no... Don't use Surgical, Don't use Ionic, don't use EMP. Have the strength to say no to them as many experienced PvPers did. queues are bleeding right now, don't perpetrate their near permanent death by stabbing them with the above.

save it for your tier5U channel. if your going to use a tier 6 ship, you don't skip the intel skills.

if pvp is unplayable because of them, thats a balance problem. they exist, you cant force water back up the tap, a balance pass is the only solution. but you can pretty much count on there never being one, so give it up, there is no sensible alternative.

the only way we can force any change from cryptic is if people stop jumping through their insulting hoops, stop paying out the nose for upgrades, stop grinding, and just stop logging in. this game wont ever be playable again until they are faced with unprofitably, do your part to expedite that.
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ric and giova, pls stop... no really, now. There is a limit, don't go beyond like you're doing here in this thread. The op is asking for help, instead of insulting and saying what you believe/know without listen, try to explain him why you say so, but in moderate tones and help him in that way.
    Jesus... sometimes idk why you guys react in this way :\
  • cronicus666cronicus666 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I call your BS. Devs said it's good, then it's PvP legit. Surgical balanced, ionic balanced. I may be a douchebag to you, but it's not that I care about a description made by some idiot which has an IQ lower than a monocellular entity

Try to say that again in PvP channels and see how you get bullseyed on first sight with extreme prejudice.

I never said it was balanced I said it was working as intended there is a big difference.

Working as intended does not mean the skill is not flat out superior to corresponding abilities. For all we know surgical strikes was intended to be as powerful as it is to be that carrot to produce purchases.

The game is run and funded by micro transactions after all.

Plus I am actually offering help NOT lambasting a new player trying to do something he quite possibly has no experience in.

Honestly if your just gonna flame a new player and talk down to them without offering any concise and meaningful advice then take it elsewhere.

If you want the pvp community to grow offer to help those that are new DO NOT lambast them and insult them. To do so discourages community growth and ultimately does more to kill pvp then some new fancy gimmick abilities.
    edited January 2015
    I never said it was balanced I said it was working as intended there is a big difference.

Working as intended does not mean the skill is not flat out superior to corresponding abilities. For all we know surgical strikes was intended to be as powerful as it is to be that carrot to produce purchases.

The game is run and funded by micro transactions after all.

Plus I am actually offering help NOT lambasting a new player trying to do something he quite possibly has no experience in.

Honestly if your just gonna flame a new player and talk down to them without offering any concise and meaningful advice then take it elsewhere.

If you want the pvp community to grow offer to help those that are new DO NOT lambast them and insult them. To do so discourages community growth and ultimately does more to kill pvp then some new fancy gimmick abilities.

Funny. You keep saying I'm attacking him, when I clearly stated I didn't have anything against him personally (reread more carefully next time). indeed I'd spit on every ship that follows its example. hidden message was "don't use those broken stuff". however, since I knew that someone would end up suggesting surgical and ionic, I didn't bother creating one that wouldn't have included them myself.
    edited January 2015
    Yeah! You know...many combative Feds have a KDF warrior hearth!:eek:

That's why you evuls will nevah win!:P

After this, I don't think there's someone more fond to Fed side than you :D
    edited January 2015
    [...]

the only way we can force any change from cryptic is if people stop jumping through their insulting hoops, stop paying out the nose for upgrades, stop grinding, and just stop logging in. this game wont ever be playable again until they are faced with unprofitably, do your part to expedite that.

...they'll probably would take that as a reason to even more ignore pewpew ;):(... i don't think we can do anything impactful. the leadership needs to change it's mind, something we can't do anything about. we tried for years and the most open dude seemed dstahl, at least in theory. damn, did i say it?! imo sad but true :D:(...
  • gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    entrax11 wrote: »
    This really is hilarious. The OP is obviously a player with nearly no clue about PVP, at least what I can see from his post and for sure does not know how broken some things are. Then this guy does the exact right thing, using the forums for it's purpose....asking for help. What did he get? Right...3 pages of bull**** mixed with TRIBBLE, insults and arrogance from players I did not even know a year ago, people that are not known for innovative builts either.

Kudos to the dudes in this thread who actually tried to help him and did a good job as well. Seriously, if I would be new to PVP I would take this thread as my first and last PVP "experience".

@OP take the good advice given in this thread, because there are enough usefull ideas hidden in this mess of a thread.

@entrax11 if you want to hit me up in game if you have a question. As you can see....no need to write in the forums when 70% of a GOOD thread are being used for off topic stuff.

X2 as ive said in another post pvp community here is toxic - op if entrax has offered help and u can- take it and good luck in game