test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why don't we have a choice with the new BOFF icons?

darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
Currently we can choose what colours our user interface has due to a setting in the options. This is an awesome feature.

I don't like the new BOFF icons and I especially don't like them being forced upon us. Why can we not have a setting in the options that allows us to choose which ones we use?
Post edited by darramouss1 on

Comments

• Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Change can be a good thing and this being one of them the changes here are good tbh.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    True, change can be a good thing, but choice is even better. That way everyone can be happy, the people who like the new and those that like the old.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    games update the icons all the time... you may be use to or prefer the old icons but you just need to adapt and accept the change.

not sure if the game supports plugins that have custom ui/icons... if it does then you could always use that.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    More options is almost always a good idea.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm usually one that's all for "quit yer' bitchin' and adapt"...but I'm going to go full hypocrite here with these icons. I mean...WTF? Sure, there's going to be the playing for X amount of time, yadda-yadda-yadda...but that doesn't change looking at some of those new icons and going WTF? Some of the changes carry the same message in another way, and while I might prefer the other way...I know that's the need to adapt bit. Some of the changes though...WTF?

I mean, seriously, when I first saw some of the icons - I thought they were placeholders - they were icons from some fantasy game that were just placeholders while they were working on stuff. When I'm playing half-asleep in the middle of the morning, one of these days I'm probably going to file a bug report wondering why my fireball spell isn't working. Some of the new icons are just that WTF....
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I find the new icons to be much clearer about what they do than the abstract art on the old icons. If I look at a new icon, then I have a good idea about what the skill is about without mousing over it or find it in my power window. With the old icons, there was only a few that you could tell what they did.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    I find the new icons to be much clearer about what they do than the abstract art on the old icons. If I look at a new icon, then I have a good idea about what the skill is about without mousing over it or find it in my power window. With the old icons, there was only a few that you could tell what they did.

The new HE icon tells me that I'm firing an AoE fireball...where is my AoE fireball? :(
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The new HE icon tells me that I'm firing an AoE fireball...where is my AoE fireball? :(

The before picture of Hazard Emitters is confusing. What exactly does it increase? The pluses in the after picture indicate that it is some type of healing power. Look at the before and after pictures for Tykon's Rift. The before picture is completely confusing while the after picture shows that some type of rift is involved. The before picture of Orbital Strike looks confusing while the after picture looks like an Orbital Strike.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    When I look at Sensor Scan now...I see a skull.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2015
    Currently we can choose what colours our user interface has due to a setting in the options. This is an awesome feature.

I don't like the new BOFF icons and I especially don't like them being forced upon us. Why can we not have a setting in the options that allows us to choose which ones we use?

Changing the color of the UI is still using the same images, just changing what color is being applied to those images.

If we had all of the old icons, and all of the new icons, that's twice the texture memory, and would likely slow down the UI even more than it is now.

As such, the icons have simply been replaced. I know it's new, and different, but give them a chance. You might just find some of them easier to understand than the old ones.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Changing the color of the UI is still using the same images, just changing what color is being applied to those images.

If we had all of the old icons, and all of the new icons, that's twice the texture memory, and would likely slow down the UI even more than it is now.

As such, the icons have simply been replaced. I know it's new, and different, but give them a chance. You might just find some of them easier to understand than the old ones.

It's all going to be subjective, no doubt, and there are therefore some that I see as definite improvements to make things easier for folks that might not have them memorized as to what they do...so that's definitely an attaboy, Cryptic thing. Some of them though...meh, I just find them bewildering.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's going to be the gear icon changes all over again isn't it?
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    I'm going to go all cryptic-fanboy on this one.

They're an improvement. I like them.

It's like a brand new game. And it give mes something to do while I visit the same systems over and over.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hay Taco, I don't know if you were involved in the design of the new Icons if you are then this is for you,if not could you pass on my comments to whoever did?

My comment is GREAT JOB! The knew icons are a heck of a lot easier for me to understand. I have been in STO for a number of years now and I am still confused by most of the old ones. With this update I can start trying out a few things I didn't before because of the confusion I have.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Remember when consoles were changed, i remember some people went mental.
    So some look a little bit goofy ( sweeping strikes ) so what, it isn't the end of the game or the world!.
    For me they work an thats ok.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Tray on Holodeck: http://i.imgur.com/ah1sQB0.png
    Tray on Tribble: http://i.imgur.com/v55U6Qe.png

So uh...yeah...

Why is Sensor Scan a skull?
    Why is SNB me looking through a magnifying glass at people?
    Why do I think I'm turning on a fan with Gravity Well?
    Is BFI a sunrise or a sunset?
    Is FAW the new name for a Claw attack?
    Why does HE look like a fire cone attack?
    Why does Scattering Field look like a PBAoE electrical attack?
    Why does TS look like I'm firing a HY with a couple of its friends...is one stronger than the rest?
    Why is Sci Fleet telling me that it is a Team Sci Team?

PH...I dig the concept, I really do. Telling me that it's Aux based, love that. But then you're showing me a Shield...but it's a Hull buff, not a Shield buff.

Sure, most of the old icons didn't really help folks - didn't really tell them squat - they just had to learn them. The new ones though? They're downright misleading.
  • Options
    notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited January 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

Id pay to get the old UI skin.The current UI pretty much the old one with new skins and colors ,so the old skin is not that hard to get back...in c store or lockbox ,i dont care Id buy it :D
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    To me the icons I can care less. Usually after I put them in my tray on my usual set up. I know which ones to use from memory of location not the icon.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The new icons are WAAAY to busy. Virusdancer's pictures showed that when clustered together they meld in to a picture sandwich, extra mayo.

Maybe fixing things so that the UI doesn't slow the game down so much might be a good way forward. Then we can have our choice of classic icons or picture sandwich ones.

Also, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if you're not used to icons after years then I put it to you that you're never going to get used to any of them. Ever.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The new icons are WAAAY to busy. Virusdancer's pictures showed that when clustered together they meld in to a picture sandwich, extra mayo.

Yummy, I love me some Mayo on my sandwiches.

Sorry, but I just don't see your point at all.
    The new icons all make more sense to me than the old ones.
    I, for one, don't find them too busy. I like them.

With all the complaints about the game I have had lately, it's honestly refreshing to simply like something they have presented.
    Sorry. Can't agree with you on this.

It really sounds like you are simply opposing change because you don't like change.
    That's not a bad thing, but this (I think) is a case of ... this change is happening.
    You can yell about it all you want, but it's happening anyway.

To me, at least the new icons all make sense, and are a change with a resulting improvement.

Just my Opinion
    - Hippie
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I appreciate change just as much as the next person. For the record, I liked when they changed the icons from all blue to different colours. That was great. I just don't like these new icons. Personal preference. I just wish they'd fix the UI so that it didn't slow the game down so much and then we could have out choice and then EVERYONE would be happy.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I just wish they'd fix the UI so that it didn't slow the game down so much and then we could have out choice and then EVERYONE would be happy.

Can't disagree there.
    The UI is a problem.

I mostly play with it toggled off these days.
    It really improves game performance.

-Hippie
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I think the new boff ability pictures are really intuitive. Let's face it, you can look at nearly all of the current abilities and have no clue what they do until you've memorized them. If you have no clue what these icons are, you can get a pretty good clue on most of them. Those of us who know all the old icons perfectly will have no problem figuring out the new ones, and those guys who didn't know what they were before have more of a chance now. So, I can only think it's a great step forward. That, and I think they look cool, aside from their functionality as being able to guess what they do.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Maybe fixing things so that the UI doesn't slow the game down so much might be a good way forward. Then we can have our choice of classic icons or picture sandwich ones.

Also, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if you're not used to icons after years then I put it to you that you're never going to get used to any of them. Ever.
    I agree, they show too much on a small icon. Pretty sure they were designed on a larger scale.

For example, they added the rank on every one of them, which is another informations. On top of what we used to have.
    I think the new boff ability pictures are really intuitive. Let's face it, you can look at nearly all of the current abilities and have no clue what they do until you've memorized them. If you have no clue what these icons are, you can get a pretty good clue on most of them. Those of us who know all the old icons perfectly will have no problem figuring out the new ones, and those guys who didn't know what they were before have more of a chance now. So, I can only think it's a great step forward. That, and I think they look cool, aside from their functionality as being able to guess what they do.
    Yes and no. Some of them didn't make much sense before, so it's an improvement. But look at hazard emitter, I always think I'm going to throw a fireball.
    Sensor scan, it took me about 1m to see it was a ship on the background, still, doesn't make sense.
    As for subncleonic beam, it look like what sensor scan should look like. Using a magnifying glass on people debuff them ?

I don't say it's terribad, and I'm never going to deal with it. I'm just saying, like with the old icons, I'm going to memorize them, and not really know what they do because of what they look like. Also, and that help, my abilities have always the same position no matter the ship. So brace for impact for example, is always at the same place, no matter the icon, I'll know it's brace for impact.
    It's an improvement for some, it's not for others. And all of them are more busy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't mean to offend you, but most of them do make sense to me. Maybe it's just due to the fact that I've played a host of military and sci-fi games.
    Why is Sensor Scan a skull?
    That's not a skull. That's a top-down BoP outline with two sensor targets "pointing out" weakspots. The bars would imply something like armor durability/thickness/denseness, if it was an FPS and you were doing real-time scanning.
    Why is SNB me looking through a magnifying glass at people?
    You have something of a point; though the fact that the ability does target crew makes the people portion correct. The fact that the "beam" looks like a stylized "fast" bowling ball about to knock them down could be better though. (Kind of hilarious to think that we're bowling down the crew, actually.)
    Why do I think I'm turning on a fan with Gravity Well?
    Maybe it's just due to the fact that I've played a host of military and sci-fi games and have watched anime styling their attacks, but that Icon readily reminds me of a gravity well/black hole (moreso since matter usually does get drawn in in a spiral regardless). There's even a little arrow pointing towards the center.

Of course, if we want to take the fan analogy, it does spin when sucking things up too (turbofans and turboprops being the most obvious).
    Is BFI a sunrise or a sunset?
    It's an explosion on the armor. I've seen a similar one as a unit power in some sci-fi/military games. The fact the armor is unbreached despite the explosion on it is supposed to signify "tough armor".
    Is FAW the new name for a Claw attack?
    Reminds me of a multi-attack icon used in a few sci-fi/military games, or heck, the 3-way shot from old bullet hell games like Raiden. So it readily makes sense for me as Fire at Will.
    Why does HE look like a fire cone attack?
    Looks more like an cut-out piece of armor plate with fire damage on it to me. Granted, the many little +s don't signify the ability well (actually reminds me of a college class diagramming molecules formed from burning things). A larger + on an armor plate with the fire half active half off (left side of the + would be fire and charred armor plating, right side would be no fire and a shiny-looking armor plate) would have been preferable.
    Why does Scattering Field look like a PBAoE electrical attack?
    You have a valid point with that one; I can't make out much detail to identify it otherwise.
    Why does TS look like I'm firing a HY with a couple of its friends...is one stronger than the rest?
    Same as the new FaW icon; I've seen similar variants used in sci-fi/military games to denote a mass missile strike power (one large missile and 2-3 smaller ones in the icon, much like the new TS icon). Heck, some old fantasy games used that icon with Arrows to denote "Arrow Rain".
    Why is Sci Fleet telling me that it is a Team Sci Team?
    Another valid point.
    Sure, most of the old icons didn't really help folks - didn't really tell them squat - they just had to learn them. The new ones though? They're downright misleading.
    I have to disagree for the majority of what you've mentioned. But that's again, based on my experience with other military and sci-fi games.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Yea I agree the ui needs some streamlining.

If the last sentence is aimed in my direction I take no offense. I didn't say I am not used to them but from my perspective the new icons are more descriptive of the power they are attached too. I have a hard time memorizing things and need to use visual clues. A side effect of the dyslexia I have. So for me the new icons will make things much easier.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Icons and their interpretation will ALWAYS be a personal thing. What makes sense for one will not make sense for another. Regardless of whether you have a background in one game or another, one person will see a grav well, another will see a fan. One will see something that makes sense, another will see something that's providing way too much info, thus convoluting the message.

The ability to change a UI is something that I believe most games these days should be able to provide. It's something that allows a game to cater to everyone. The lack of this feature in STO means that some players will be pleased and others won't.

I think I can safely say that fixing the UI and then giving us options is something that no player could really oppose.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Reminds me of a multi-attack icon used in a few sci-fi/military games, or heck, the 3-way shot from old bullet hell games like Raiden. So it readily makes sense for me as Fire at Will.

Heh, do a Google Image Search for Wolverine claws...and well...which were pretty much the Hero Claws back in City of Heroes.

So yeah, it's going to get into backgrounds and familiarity. I've played far more Fantasy or Superhero games than I have Sci-Fi or Military games. So I'm seeing claws and fireballs...
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was skeptical at first, but after hours of playing with them on Tribble, I'm used to them now, I can't wait.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.