test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Singularity Cores?

furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Academy
So, I was asking about Fleet Singularity Cores in the 10k dps channel, and couple of people recommended using the Dilithium Mine Singularity Cores to help make up for the overall lack of subsystem power Singularity Cores have compared to Warp Cores. They also said that I could use Fleet Spire Singularity Cores, for the power resist and regeneration, but that I would need to use other ship equipment to make up for the loss of subsystem power.To give myself additional food for thought, and because peeps around here have always given me solid advice as well, I thought I'd ask here in the Academy forums also.

Which do peeps here prefer for their warbirds? A Fleet Dilithium Mine Singularity Core for the boost to subsystem power, or a Fleet Spire Singularity Core for the power resist/regeneration, and then you just make up for the subsystem power elsewhere?
"There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
Post edited by furiontassadar on

Comments

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    On a budget, I use the solonae core and either plasmonic leech (kdf) or maco shield (fed).

For when I'm nearly finished with the character I do look at the mine cores and compare it to the stats I need. I'm still not 100% sure what I'll end up with on my gravity well specialized ship, but my scimitar uses dil mine. I never found a spire option I really liked.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    depends on the ship and all, but in general I would rather make up the power elsewhere, its not too hard to do, eps if you have leech.

I gonna have to think this one hard soon, about to earn enough dil for the intel warbird and might give it a spin. Ive mostly avoided the whole issue by using box ships more often than not. I do bust out a scim now and then, or my dyson, but hardly ever touch the others anymore.

Its important to note that Several of the rep and other cores gain AMP if you take them to gold quality. Some of these MIGHT be better than fleet. YMMV.
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    On a budget, I use the solonae core and either plasmonic leech (kdf) or maco shield (fed).
    noroblad wrote: »
    depends on the ship and all, but in general I would rather make up the power elsewhere, its not too hard to do, eps if you have leech.

I do have access to Plasmonic Leech, if that changes the equation any.

I did experiment with the Solonae Core today, since I've actually heard a few other people mention it before, but it felt like I was doing less consistent dps compared to when I was using the generic blue Thoron-Infused Singularity Core (the one that gives power drain resistance) I bought off the Exchange awhile back.
    noroblad wrote: »
    Its important to note that Several of the rep and other cores gain AMP if you take them to gold quality. Some of these MIGHT be better than fleet. YMMV.

Do peeps know if crafted or dropped Singularity Cores can gain AMP if upgraded? If so, I may want to skip Rep or Fleet cores altogether, since even the fleet Thoron-Infused cores only give a +10% power drain resistance, as opposed to the +15% of generic Thoron-Infused cores.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I do have access to Plasmonic Leech, if that changes the equation any.

Do peeps know if crafted or dropped Singularity Cores can gain AMP if upgraded? If so, I may want to skip Rep or Fleet cores altogether, since even the fleet Thoron-Infused cores only give a +10% power drain resistance, as opposed to the +15% of generic Thoron-Infused cores.

Basically, my question on the first part comes down to the following: Can you, without the help of a Mine core, maintain at least 75 aux, shields, and engines in combat consistently with a setting of 100 to weapons? Leech with flow caps consoles, Drake/Dragon builds, smart skill point investements, and things like that can all help. (Of course, if you're running A2B, the point is moot, because you shouldn't have a problem pulling off 3 AMP procs).

Secondly, crafted cores do gain AMP, and I believe dropped cores do as well - so far, the only warp/singularity cores I know of that don't are the fleet ones that come with [Con/EWS], the Tal Shiar Adapted Borg Warp Core (EWS), the Obelisk Warp Core (Trans), and the new Breen core. However, the base regeneration rate on Fleet cores should push them well above the non-fleet cores, especially if you factor in the cost of pushing a singularity core for UR.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
    edited January 2015
    Basically, my question on the first part comes down to the following: Can you, without the help of a Mine core, maintain at least 75 aux, shields, and engines in combat consistently with a setting of 100 to weapons? Leech with flow caps consoles, Drake/Dragon builds, smart skill point investements, and things like that can all help. (Of course, if you're running A2B, the point is moot, because you shouldn't have a problem pulling off 3 AMP procs).

No, I don't think that I can say that I can. Weapons for sure, shields maybe, but probably not auxiliary or engines. Again though, it's possible that I could make up for that elsewhere. One of my next projects is going through and reexamining my skills, so I might be able to squeeze in more power that away.

On the subject of skills and plasmonic leech, how exactly does leech and the flow caps skill work together? Is there a cap on how much power leech can steal from an enemy? Does more flow caps skill increase that cap? Or how much power the leech steals at once?

Also, what are Drake/Dragon builds?

And no, I'm not running A2B, as I found that I dislike that sort of playstyle, despite its obvious benefits.
    Secondly, crafted cores do gain AMP, and I believe dropped cores do as well - so far, the only warp/singularity cores I know of that don't are the fleet ones that come with [Con/EWS], the Tal Shiar Adapted Borg Warp Core (EWS), the Obelisk Warp Core (Trans), and the new Breen core. However, the base regeneration rate on Fleet cores should push them well above the non-fleet cores, especially if you factor in the cost of pushing a singularity core for UR.

Ah, cool. That's good to know. Always nice to have options, even if one may not end up using them. And I was also wondering if the power regen would make up for the weaker power resist, but I'm still worried that, even if it would be a lot less than with a non-power resist core, my weapon power (and thereby potentially my dps) would still oscillate a bit too much compared to, again, having the straight power resist of a generic Thoron-Infused core.
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Plasmonic Leech builds up 8 stacks of power. Flow Caps skill increases the size of each stack.
    With 9 skill points in flow caps (-> 99 rating) a single stack is about 2 power, so about 16 power to each system fully build up. A MK XIII Flow Cap console in my char increases that about 0.3 per stack, so 2,4 fully build up.
    An upper limit on power drain? I dont think so but havent checked.

The delta set and assimilated set give some nice power bonus. Some consoles too. But it is quite hard to get the 75+ on all systems.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Drake and dragon builds are 100% uptime both emergency power to shields and emergency power to weapons simultaneously. One uses two sets of the ability, the other cool down bonuses to only need one of each.
    edited January 2015
    Plasmonic Leech builds up 8 stacks of power. Flow Caps skill increases the size of each stack.
    With 9 skill points in flow caps (-> 99 rating) a single stack is about 2 power, so about 16 power to each system fully build up. A MK XIII Flow Cap console in my char increases that about 0.3 per stack, so 2,4 fully build up.

So, in other words, in order to consistently reach 75 power in a subsystem using just plasmonic leech, that subsystem would still at least need to have a base power of 67 (with no Flow Caps skill) or 59 (with max Flow Caps skill).
    The delta set and assimilated set give some nice power bonus. Some consoles too. But it is quite hard to get the 75+ on all systems.

Yes, especially for us Romulans, it seems. :( Again, with how much I'd need to bend over backwards to attain full 75+ across the board, I can't help wondering if it's even worth it to get all four subsystems at 75+, or if I should just focus on getting shields and maybe auxiliary to that point; alongside weapons, of course.
    Drake and dragon builds are 100% uptime both emergency power to shields and emergency power to weapons simultaneously. One uses two sets of the ability, the other cool down bonuses to only need one of each.

Ah, I see. I did actually experiment with the cooldown version of such a build back when I was also experimenting with using A2B. I just apparently didn't know there was a name for it at the time. :P My problem with builds like that, similar to my issues with A2B, is having to perfectly time everything so all of the cooldowns finish when they should. Forget to click something when you're supposed to, and the whole rotation gets thrown off. I apparently lack the attention span and coordination for such thing, it seems. :o
    edited January 2015
    On the subject of skills and plasmonic leech, how exactly does leech and the flow caps skill work together? Is there a cap on how much power leech can steal from an enemy? Does more flow caps skill increase that cap? Or how much power the leech steals at once?

Also, what are Drake/Dragon builds?

Here's a good post explaining the long version of drake and dragon builds. The short version is that dragon builds use 2 copies of 2 different emergency power abilities (so 4 total) to chain them, while drake builds use 1 copy of 2 different emergency power abilities in conjunction with damage control engineers to chain them (so 2 abilities total).

Leach power is calculated by the following formula:

Flow caps skill * .08 +8.

So, the average user with a skill of 99 to flow caps gets 99*.08 +8 power to each subsystem, or 7.92+8=15.92 power to all subystems.

It's not capped at all, aside from how much flow caps you can stack.

My current ship uses 3 Epic flow consoles (romulans need their power), a fleet sci skills boost, and a maxed skill of flow caps to buff up the leach. My skill is 221.5, so I get 221.5*.08+8, or 17.72+8=25.72 power to all subsystems. That, combined with maxed efficiency, makes power levels not too challenging, though I still use a mine core.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

edited January 2015
    Here's a good post explaining the long version of drake and dragon builds. The short version is that dragon builds use 2 copies of 2 different emergency power abilities (so 4 total) to chain them, while drake builds use 1 copy of 2 different emergency power abilities in conjunction with damage control engineers to chain them (so 2 abilities total).

gavin managed to explain dragon/drake rather succinctly, but thanks for the reddit post regardless. Was an interesting read even if, again, that playstyle doesn't seem to suit me.
    My current ship uses 3 Epic flow consoles (romulans need their power), a fleet sci skills boost, and a maxed skill of flow caps to buff up the leach. My skill is 221.5, so I get 221.5*.08+8, or 17.72+8=25.72 power to all subsystems. That, combined with maxed efficiency, makes power levels not too challenging, though I still use a mine core.

"Fleet sci skills boost"?

And I ended up messing around with the STO Academy skill planner earlier today, and I think I might be able to wrangle some more points into various power boosting skills and even max out Flow Caps (I forgot that was all the way back in the Lieutenant row of skills, so it's actually really cheap, skillpoints-wise). However, to do so, I may need to cut skillpoints from other areas. I'm actually going to make another post regarding some questions I have about skillpoint allocation, since it may diverge a bit from questions about Core usage and power management.
    edited January 2015
    "Fleet sci skills boost"?

And I ended up messing around with the STO Academy skill planner earlier today, and I think I might be able to wrangle some more points into various power boosting skills and even max out Flow Caps (I forgot that was all the way back in the Lieutenant row of skills, so it's actually really cheap, skillpoints-wise). However, to do so, I may need to cut skillpoints from other areas. I'm actually going to make another post regarding some questions I have about skillpoint allocation, since it may diverge a bit from questions about Core usage and power management.

I'm an insane min-maxer. Fleet science skills boost is one of 3 basic types of consumables (the others being engineering and tactical) that buff all of the related skills by 1,2,4,6,8, or 10 (I think those are the values - I just get the 10 each time) for 4 hours, and cost 2.5k fleet credits. It's something I'd recommend against for nearly all players, as it is a bit expensive, and the buff dissappears if you swap ships, or sit in your ship for 4 hours.

I'll go say hi on that other thread, then.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

edited January 2015
    I'm an insane min-maxer. Fleet science skills boost is one of 3 basic types of consumables (the others being engineering and tactical) that buff all of the related skills by 1,2,4,6,8, or 10 (I think those are the values - I just get the 10 each time) for 4 hours, and cost 2.5k fleet credits. It's something I'd recommend against for nearly all players, as it is a bit expensive, and the buff dissappears if you swap ships, or sit in your ship for 4 hours.

Ah, I gotcha. I only recently joined a fleet myself, so I still don't know about all of the perks one can get as apart of a fleet. That does sound like it wouldn't really be worth having unless one was planning on grinding STO content for 4 straight hours...or, again, unless someone was into min-maxing. :P

Still, I should probably find out where those are at, on the off chance I do decide to give one a whirl, if only for experimentation purposes.
    I'll go say hi on that other thread, then.

Appreciated. ^_^ And, since I don't think I've actually said it yet, thanks for all the advice that you, gavin, and everyone have given me thus far!
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The EptX abilities for the drake build can be bound to a single regularly used key. The timing there is not that important. You just have a bit less energy in one system for a few seconds.
    I run currently the delta set, plasmonic, zero point, assimilated module with 2 flow consoles and get all systems 75+ in combat. Just the opening seconds before plasmonic stacked up are below. Power setting 100/15/20/25 on a Scimitar

edit: but im also still experimenting around a bit
    edited January 2015
    So, in other words, in order to consistently reach 75 power in a subsystem using just plasmonic leech, that subsystem would still at least need to have a base power of 67 (with no Flow Caps skill) or 59 (with max Flow Caps skill).

Yes, especially for us Romulans, it seems. :( Again, with how much I'd need to bend over backwards to attain full 75+ across the board, I can't help wondering if it's even worth it to get all four subsystems at 75+, or if I should just focus on getting shields and maybe auxiliary to that point; alongside weapons, of course.

Ah, I see. I did actually experiment with the cooldown version of such a build back when I was also experimenting with using A2B. I just apparently didn't know there was a name for it at the time. :P My problem with builds like that, similar to my issues with A2B, is having to perfectly time everything so all of the cooldowns finish when they should. Forget to click something when you're supposed to, and the whole rotation gets thrown off. I apparently lack the attention span and coordination for such thing, it seems. :o

er, sorta. let me see, this is from memory but its close...
    in combat-space (but out of combat) my romulan's power levels are approximately
    1**, 65 65 65.
    but the actual settings are
    max(or nearly, might have shaved off a point or 2), 30,30,30 roughly. You can get a LOT of power bonus from gear and spec. In conbat leech hits 75-80 so it becomes 1**, 75/75/75 approximately. 1** just means your weapon cap, which varies from ship to ship.

I have at least 6 points in all of the power captain stuff.. all systems flat bonus and each specific subsystem flat bonus. Expensive, but I worked it in. I have things like the gel console and leech and so on that add power to systems. My engines add power to systems. My deflector probably adds flow caps, I forgot.

-- It is absolutely worth it to hit 75 in all 4. That gives you a solid impulse speed, shield regen, aux/healing/dps/etc, and the amp bonus. If your ship is intel, you can also pump all the level up with OSS, and that adds not only aux2dps (rep trait) but weapon power overcap dps. IMHO if you can't get 75 in all 4, you should crutch out to aux2bat as a romulan if you can fit it, and if not, buy a normal ship and use the obelisk core and forget amp entirely, go max weapons, max aux and let it slide.

-- aux 2 bat is worth a revisit. With 3 technicians and a gel pack you cut your cooldowns by 37%, right? Its pretty simple to use... pop your long cooldown skills and then hit A2B. You don't have to have the most uber tweaked rotation to do *that*. I mean, *in a tac dps type ship example* you pop power to weapons, pattern beta, pattern alpha, FAW, OSS if you have intel ship, and whatever else, and the last thing you do is hit A2B. Its better if you time it, but you can also just casually wing it and still do *very well*. But its a meh build, expensive (for the technicians), wasteful (your aux is zeroed out, so your healing and aux2dps trait are both neutralized, and there is no good dps replacement for aux2dps yet, and you are only at 3/4 amped). The bonus is the obvious cooldown redux but depending on the ship, most ships can afford to carry a duplicate copy of the critical skills and forget about it, esp in PVE.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you are wanting to min/max for DPS, then I recommend the dragon/drake build as they call it. I do it on a few of my Romulans without the leech console, and it works just fine. Since you have the leech, it will help you boost your DPS, survivability, and heals or exotic damage.

It is easy to map the skills to a single key. I use a controller, so I map the whole bottom row of the skill tray to one button. It is easy to work that way, because if it is mapped from left to right, they will activate right to left. The skills you want activated first go in the right slots, and the ones you want done last go in the left ones. Then just keep hitting that button, or key for a keyboard. As they come off cool down, you are activating them.

I have over 75 on all sub systems almost all the time with my Scimitars. If I used the leech, I could get higher.

But you don't need weapon's power setting all the way up to 100 if you use EPTW. Depending on which copy of it you use, you can set it lower. This will free up more power for other subsystems. You just need it to peek with about 130 or more. To see what EPTW will give you, set the weapons power to 15 while in Sol system, New Romulus, or some non-combat map like that. Then, look at where your weapon's power level is at. For example 30/15.

Then activate the copy of EPTW you want, and see where it goes. Take your previous total from it, and that will give an idea of how much of a total you will get if you have your weapon's power set to 100.

Then you can lower it some below 100 if you need to. The only reason to max it out is if you have trouble reaching more than 125 in it. I have run with my weapon's power set to 85 once, and was doing the same DPS as I did with it set to 100, because I was using EPTW, and the doff that can reduce the cool down of EPTX abilities. And with an AMP core, you will do more DPS than with A2B, and have better survivability, speed, and Aux power a lot more as well.

And it can all be mapped to a single key, or button to activate just by pressing it. Very easy, and quick to use.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Dilithium Mine Cores should be avoided

The Spire cores have a 10% reduce power drain and 66% increase to making more power.

Go spire or go home
    download.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the continued advice, guys. Sorry I haven't poked my head in here for a couple days, but I actually thought interest had tapered off.

Let's see....

Dragon/drake builds: I should probably have mentioned this sooner, but I fly a Scimitar, so my engineering seating is kind of limited, even with the universal slots. As such, I don't think I have the free Bridge Officer space to pull off a Dragon build (two each of EPW/EPS), at least not without hampering my access to Tactical abilities as well. As for Drake builds, getting the purple Damage Control Engineer duty officers seems cost prohibitive, and I'm really not fond of the idea that, even with two or three purple officers, it's still largely based on chance and, if you're really unlucky, you can have you rotation screwed up. Speaking of which....

Binding everything to one key: I did actually see the blurb on the reddit article jarvis linked about how one goes about binding a bunch of abilities to one key, and while that would make certain playstyles (Dragon/Drake/A2b, etc.) a bit easier to manage, I'm also not exactly fond of the idea. It kind of feels like a crutch, just having one button to spam everything, and I kind of like having the option to pick and choose when certain abilities go off. Admittedly, such instances are situational, and the current meta in STFs seems to be spamming everything all at once as fast as you can for the most dps, so it's definitely something I should keep in mind, and even experiment with at some point, even if I'm not fond of the overall idea.

A2B Builds: Despite the fact that binding everything to one key might smooth out my experience with an A2B, it's still obviously not optimal, due to the loss of auxiliary power. Again, I'm a Romulan and I fly a Scimitar, and the loss of auxiliary power not only makes the use of cloaking complicated, but I also believe it interferes with hanger use as well. Plus, as noroblad pointed out in the very paragraph where he encouraged me to give it another look, A2B also severely interferes with the damage bonus from both AMP and the Aux2Offense trait. So, yeah, while A2B definitely has its uses, perhaps especially early on in one's career, once one has access to the Aux2Offense trait and, especially, Fleet cores with AMP, I think the idea is, from a meta perspective, to slowly phase oneself out of relying on just A2B for power.

Getting all subsystem power to 75: As I sort of admitted above, I have come around to the idea of getting all subsystem power to 75 for AMP, and the Aux2Offense trait, to a lesser extent. Part of what was causing my hang up was, not only was I looking at having to respec my skills (which I was actually okay with, since I've been needing to take another look at my skills for awhile), but having to possibly go through and replace some of my gear. Not only might that end also being rather costly, depending on what I find that I need, but I was worried about losing certain things, like the 2 set bonus from having the Nukara Shield/Deflector. In the latter instance, however, I realized I was actually being kind of silly: the Nukara 2 set bonus might give me a 2.5% bonus to my damage, but if I can get my subsystems to 75+, that would mean a whopping 12% bonus to my damage, by comparison, not to mention whatever I'd get from the Aux2Offense trait for having my auxilliary at 75 power as well. So yeah, I'd more than make up for the loss the Nukara set, and it's possible the other gear I end up getting might be better in the long run as well, in addition to what they do to help me get the most out of AMP.

I also wanted to apologize for being so hesitant and particular when it comes to your advice, guys, especially considering how patient and informative you've been. Delta Rising has kind of forced me into an uncomfortable position, where I still am trying to hang on to the playstyle and some of the gear that I had been comfortable with, and found fun to play with, but at the same time, I still want to make sure I don't end up as a burden to other players if I que up for any given STF. So, it's been a constant struggle, as I've been working my way slowly up the dps ladder, to balance what I was comfortable with compromising for and what I still wanted to hang on to.

Still, I wanted ya'll to know that I greatly appreciate all of the advice you've been giving me, despite how I stubborn I may seem when it comes to listening to it, and I would continue to appreciate any further advice you may yet have to give me. ^_^
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the continued advice, guys. Sorry I haven't poked my head in here for a couple days, but I actually thought interest had tapered off.

Let's see....

Dragon/drake builds: I should probably have mentioned this sooner, but I fly a Scimitar, so my engineering seating is kind of limited, even with the universal slots. As such, I don't think I have the free Bridge Officer space to pull off a Dragon build (two each of EPW/EPS), at least not without hampering my access to Tactical abilities as well. As for Drake builds, getting the purple Damage Control Engineer duty officers seems cost prohibitive, and I'm really not fond of the idea that, even with two or three purple officers, it's still largely based on chance and, if you're really unlucky, you can have you rotation screwed up. Speaking of which....

what eng skills do you want besides power to weapons? DEM is oft-mentioned but it is fairly low damage per hit, and I have not been impressed with it in DR. If you used the uni ensign for eng, you could seat ptw1, ptw2, and et1. That leaves you with HE/ choice of shield heal on the sci officer. Now your uni ltcmdr can be tac and you can load up the offense. Building this way (minimal healing) would make the valdore console a useful item if you are having problems staying alive.

Someday, if you get the funds, try the faeht warbird.