test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Bridge Officer Icons

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Star Trek Online is getting ready to celebrate its Fifth Anniversary and part of that update includes a major overhaul to how captains train abilities for their bridge officers. The goal of this update is to make it much easier to understand the options available to every bridge officer and make training them more flexible.

Check out our new icon overhaul here!

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wonder what the thought of behind some of the old icons are. Compared the new ones, some make no sense.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Looks good!
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is gonna take some getting use too.
    (I'm still trying to learn all the icons from the last big change)

At least these have a consistency in color and style.

I just recently learned about what the little Dot's and X's and such, mean in the lower right hand corners.
    (and I've been here since day one)
    :cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I just want to say thank you for posting this in GNN. Can't speak for anybody else, and it's perhaps a bit melodramatic...but seriously, thank you.

Now to go check out that blog.

Wow, some of those are going to take time to get used to...heh. Hrmm, will have to get up to speed though - trying to read what folks have got going.

One of those been looking at them all for so long that regardless of whether they made sense or not, they made sense...so it's going to take a wee while for some which make more sense to make sense...heh.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I just want to say thank you for posting this in GNN. Can't speak for anybody else, and it's perhaps a bit melodramatic...but seriously, thank you.

Now to go check out that blog.

I agree... Thank You Trendy.

:)

A question...

Why do the Arrow-like symbols on the right side of the Turret, Drone and Seeker Fabrication Icons all look different?

Wouldn't something a bit more consistent among all three be better?
    Something that indicates they are being created, I actually like the Seeker Drone one, it seems to indicate a transporter beam coming down.

I just noticed the Quantum Mortar one, I can see now that the symbols are supposed to indicate the type of function of each unit. I guess that's a bit more logical than my proposal.

I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Really? Another thing that wasn't broken but felt like changing?

I'm at a loss Cryptic really I am it's becoming ever harder to understand your strategy and accept this is something you need to do as a business. If there weren't more pressing things in game I'd be positive about this "Sure go Cryptic" but with the state things are in and you're actively looking for things that have been fine for 5 years and decide let's shake the dice and see what happens?

Where exactly has the community been vocal about this? When did this become a must do? Sure art people may not be of much help with bug fixing but this to me just reinforces my perception that Cryptic is in a world of it's own and not listening to the community and addressing the problems that exist.

When you start addressing the bigger problems and then do this sort of thing then I'll get excited.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Are they going to take time to FIX the various UI bugs; or just redo the artwork for what, the third time since launch. I love Cryptic's priorities (and yes, I realize artists aren't programmers, but still, I don't see any real improvement in the icons where they are any less cryptic then they were before - IE the art doesn't tell me what the power is anymore or less then the current versions do.)

I would be nice if they could get fixing actual UI bugs on the schedule.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    I agree... Thank You Trendy.

LOL!! STO, probably the only MMO that needs to thanks the empolyers for posting the link news in the forums..

How low is the current state of the game :facepalm:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I don't see any real improvement in the icons where they are any less cryptic then they were before - IE the art doesn't tell me what the power is anymore or less

then you're blind.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I like them
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yup, gonna take time to adjust, but these new icons are easier to grasp the function of upon first glance.
  • Options
    thebobbyllamathebobbyllama Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just a little nitpick: The icon for Medical Tricorder is the only one I don't feel is an improvement, as it puts too much emphasis on the flavor of the power over its function, making it more difficult to evaluate "at a glance."
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I just recently learned about what the little Dot's and X's and such, mean in the lower right hand corners.
    (and I've been here since day one)

Wait, they mean something?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    LOL!! STO, probably the only MMO that needs to thanks the empolyers for posting the link news in the forums..

They stopped doing it. They did it here. What's so difficult to understand about a simple thanks for that?

They put it in the launcher. They put it on ARC. So it's not a case that they're not telling folks. Just because some of us have been around a wee while and like it here, doesn't mean they have to do it here.

There's a big difference between wanting something and feeling entitled to it. One could say we should be entitled to knowing what they're doing, right? Which they do communicate. Doesn't mean that we're entitled to how they deliver that communication. So yeah, a simple thank you for them telling us here. A simple appreciation for the acknowledgement of how important GNN is to some of the playerbase.

We can shred them 9001 ways to Sunday about countless things, but that doesn't mean if they do something we can't toss them an attaboy for it if we appreciate them doing it...regardless of if somebody feels entitled to it, eh?

Some of us grew up in an age of please and thank you...
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,954 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ....I never realized just how bizarre our old icons were (until trying to figure out just what the hell they meant next to the updated versions). You learn the game and the symbology just goes along with it I guess. Great work, I particularly like the new stasis field icon (can't get much less ambiguous than that. :P)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I'm at a loss Cryptic really I am it's becoming ever harder to understand your strategy and accept this is something you need to do as a business. If there weren't more pressing things in game I'd be positive about this "Sure go Cryptic" but with the state things are in and you're actively looking for things that have been fine for 5 years and decide let's shake the dice and see what happens?

Where exactly has the community been vocal about this? When did this become a must do? Sure art people may not be of much help with bug fixing but this to me just reinforces my perception that Cryptic is in a world of it's own and not listening to the community and addressing the problems that exist.

When you start addressing the bigger problems and then do this sort of thing then I'll get excited.

But you just said yourself that the art team doesn't work on the bugs.

What would you want the art team to do then?
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I, for one, welcome this change... you may not like it, but it's going to happen. Best thing to do is just accept it.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Are they going to take time to FIX the various UI bugs; or just redo the artwork for what, the third time since launch. I love Cryptic's priorities (and yes, I realize artists aren't programmers, but still, I don't see any real improvement in the icons where they are any less cryptic then they were before - IE the art doesn't tell me what the power is anymore or less then the current versions do.)

I would be nice if they could get fixing actual UI bugs on the schedule.

I disagree. The new Icons became immediately easier for me to ID as to their purpose. More so than the current set does, which at times still confuses me. I think this is a nice improvement for players.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    rogueeenterpriserogueeenterprise Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    IMO this is a great change -- making the icons more resembling the function of the power is a huge improvement and will reduce a lot of new player confusion, I think.
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Um, WHY? Isn't fixing bugs more important than icons? Why waste time on these little uneeded things when there are so many big items that are needed?:confused:
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    eltatus wrote: »

As I have indicated before... It Takes Two Too Tango

Positive reinforcement is NEVER a bad thing.

You can be irascible all you want, but it's only going to give you agita and won't accomplish a thing.

I see no harm in being affable when something positive comes our way.

• Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    otisnoble wrote: »
    Um, WHY? Isn't fixing bugs more important than icons? Why waste time on these little uneeded things when there are so many big items that are needed?:confused:
    Why, you ask? To make it easier for players to see which ability is which, that's why. There's nothing wrong with making things easier for players to understand.

As I have indicated before... It Takes Two To Tango

Positive reinforcement is NEVER a bad thing.

You can be irascible all you want, but it's only going to give you agita and won't accomplish a thing.

I see no harm in being affable when something positive comes our way.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said here. The devs do deserve thanks for what they do. I thank Trendy and all the other devs for what has been a great time since 2012 (when I started playing the game).
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »

LoL ...

Thank goodness, I'm not alone in my STO dysfunction.

;)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »

I can't find it for the life of me, but he did a guide explaining the ability icons...meh. Anybody got the link for that?

It was the one with single target, multiple target, AoE, and all the rest explained.
  • Options
    kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I approve. :cool:
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I can't find it for the life of me, but he did a guide explaining the ability icons...meh. Anybody got the link for that?

It was the one with single target, multiple target, AoE, and all the rest explained.

It wasn't that long ago, I'll try to find it.
  • Options
    tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Um, WHY? Isn't fixing bugs more important than icons? Why waste time on these little unneeded things when there are so many big items that are needed?:confused:

UI Art dev ≠ Bug fix dev. Art guys make art stuff, that's it. I want bug fixes too, but the Art guys can do other stuff at the same time. Personally, I think these new icons look a lot better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    It wasn't that long ago, I'll try to find it.

I've never had my Search-Fu fail like this...heh, it's kind of a trip.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,954 Arc User
    edited January 2015

...What is it that you think that UI artists can do to fix [insert vendetta bug here]. If your toilets have exploded don't yell at the painters for not doing their job properly (you'd just be an TRIBBLE for doing so, badum-tish.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Here it is. Just remembered that I had it bookmarked. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]