test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

KDF Engineer in JHDC Support/DPS

gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
I could possibly be getting a JHDC tomorrow and will most likely fly it with my Orion engineer. My approach for this build is to be able to be balanced between combat support (DPS) and tanking. I dont like hyper-tanking and I dont like uber DPS. I'm looking for a nice even balance between the two. I figured since the JHDC is a more DPS oriented carrier, I could compensate by flying with an engineer and all the captain abilities that come along with that. This build was whipped together on what seemed cool to me. I chose a carrier because I don't have any carrier captains and am looking for a new play style/experience that is still somewhat familiar. I'm a cruiser guy at heart.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=biancasjhdc_7030

Feel free to call me out on my noobish build.
FYI, I'm not much of a grinder so any build that's not too time consuming to obtain would be more preferable.
Thanks!
signature.png
Post edited by gameverseman on

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Really? Nobody has any input? Really?
    signature.png
  • Options
    wen1503wen1503 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you have epic consoles, you don't need advice. But since you want some....

Change rear weapons to include two omni beams, one crafted plus the ancient. Other should be the kinetic cutting beam. That's 7 weapons firing forward. Lose the long down time consoles, especially in TAC slots which should all be omni crit or severity fleet ones. As many Romulan Boffs with crit, more crit consoles...Anyone can get 20% fed or kdf. Romulans can get 27% fairly easy. Get the bug attattack ship if your as rich as the epics imply.

Lose the RSP for epw3 and rotate it with an EPs 1 or 2. I like aux to damp 2 and EPs 1 personally.

My main is a fed engineer...love carriers over everything else. IMO the Xindi is better, not as tanky though but flies great with an excellent turn rate.
  • Options
    ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't have a KDF engineer, nor do I have the JHDC.
    What I can do is give some general advice based on what little I actually know.
    To me, tanking is getting everything in the area shooting at me and using resists and heals to mitigate the incoming damage. If that's your idea of tanking too, then read on.

My fed engineer runs a balanced DPS and Tank ship. DPS is part what makes a good tank, being able to absorb lots of damage is important, but not if you can't dish it out too.

There is almost no real difference between tac team 1 and tac team 2, so just use tt1 since there is little useful at ensign level and many things do much better or start at the LT level.

Here goes.....

LT Uni HE1, ST2
    CDR Tac TT1, BFAW2, APB2, APB3/ APO3
    LT Tac TT1, BFAW2
    LCDR Eng ET1, EPTS2, EPTW3
    ENS Sci HE1

You will need 2-3 purple damage control engineers to get EPTW and EPTS cycling as often as possible. 2 leaves a gap of several seconds, but 3 essentially does not. It's up to you as to whether that gap is acceptable.
    Judging from your initial thought on the BO setup, I'd recommend DOFFs to reduce science team cooldown and engineering team to fill it out.

Cycle both tac teams and EPTx skills as often as possible. The 30 second power boost from EPTW gives you a damage boost, and EPTS not only provides a heal, it also provides a 30 second boost to shield resistances. With 3 DCE DOFFs, every 15 seconds you can activate one of them, meaning each is available to reactivate after it's be up for 30 seconds. That's essentially active all the time once you get the cycle going. With 2 DCEs, there will be gaps between activations.

If it isn't tanky enough, swap EPTW3 and EPTS2 for EPTS3 and EPTW2. If you can't train EPTW3 or EPTS3, ask a buddy or fleetmate if they can. If so, trade the DOFF to them, have them train the DOFF, and then trade it back to you.

It is a rather basic setup. You could go for BFAW3 and use energy weapon officers to try to make it where you only use BFAW3 as your beam modifier, but that'll deprive you of some healing, which I'd rather start with a good tank and let you decide that you don't need 2 hazard emitters or to get the cooldown on science team down that often and then adjust.

I hope that helps or at least, gives you some ideas.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    wen1503 wrote: »
    Change rear weapons to include two omni beams, one crafted plus the ancient. Other should be the kinetic cutting beam. That's 7 weapons firing forward.

If you do try to get all omni beams in the rear, KCB, Ancient AP and a "normal" AP omni, then you might as well consider dual beam banks up front and go for a forward firing setup to deal big hits.
    It depends on whether you are comfortable with broadsiding or facing your target style of piloting and attacks. If you like broadsiding, stay with the beam arrays up front. If you like to face your target, dual beam banks.

As for consoles, spend the 1000 zen, get the vandal destroyer to get a plasmonic leech and replace the particle generator consoles with flow capacitors. If you can swing it, get ones from a fleet romulan embassy that add plasma damage. If you trully want to tank, get the +Threat ones. If not, then -Threat. Once you boost threat, it's always there, so be careful what you select.

Now, if you want to boost threat further, which is probably not necessary, the fleet elite fermion deflectors add to threat generation and include a small decrease in cooldown on science abilities.

As for the fighters, if you got a breen sarr theln carrier from the winter event, the mastery trait is bugged right now, so unselect it until the devs fix it. It causes your game to come to a crawl or worse when this new mastery trait rears its ugly head.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    FYI Im not rich AT ALL. The JHDC is being given to me. I just made everything gold just see what the build would look like when everything is said and done. That being said the bug ship is not even in the cards hehe. Thank you very much for the feedback but I do have questions. the way im specced in the build is how I would ideally want to be specced. However my current spec is just for general tanking. I'd prefer broadsiding over just a frontal based build, however, I have been curious about a front-heavy build. I think I will stick to standard beams at first and if I want to move into omni and banks. Im broke so plasmonic leech is not possible atm. I literally just got back into the game a week ago so I dont have any winter event stuff except the breen singularity core and the laser lirpa. I would cycle eptX's but since im limited to only a lt cmdr engineer slot but I will definitely try it. However I will not loose my RSP... I love that ability too much :). What sets/DOFFS would you recommend for this build?
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    FYI Im not rich AT ALL. The JHDC is being given to me. I just made everything gold just see what the build would look like when everything is said and done.

If you are looking for cheap gear to outfit the ship, then there are several things to consider.

In the cardassian episodes, operation gamma and boldly they rode can be re-run to obtain Jem Hadar deflector, engines, shield and dominion polaron beam arrays.
    It's a grind, especially boldly they rode, but the jem hadar set works with both polaron weapons and jem hadar ships a little better than with non jem hadar/ cardassian ships.

If you want antiproton weapons, re-run fluid dynamics in the borg episodes to get MK XI purple AP beam arrays for cheap.
    After that, run Sphere of influence twice to get the warp core and an omni directional AP beam array.

A step between stars can be re-run to get the solanae deflector, shields and engines, which are not a bad set, especially if you are on a budget or have little to nothing to get reputation gear with yet.

Unless you are after a transphasic torpedo build, the breen set stuff is probably not worth mentioning.

There's probably a few things I forgot, but that should help you out if needed.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    FYI Im not rich AT ALL. The JHDC is being given to me. I just made everything gold just see what the build would look like when everything is said and done. That being said the bug ship is not even in the cards hehe. Thank you very much for the feedback but I do have questions. the way im specced in the build is how I would ideally want to be specced. However my current spec is just for general tanking. I'd prefer broadsiding over just a frontal based build, however, I have been curious about a front-heavy build. I think I will stick to standard beams at first and if I want to move into omni and banks. Im broke so plasmonic leech is not possible atm. I literally just got back into the game a week ago so I dont have any winter event stuff except the breen singularity core and the laser lirpa. I would cycle eptX's but since im limited to only a lt cmdr engineer slot but I will definitely try it. However I will not loose my RSP... I love that ability too much :). What sets/DOFFS would you recommend for this build?

If you keep RSP, you have to sacrifice something. I regularly run tanks without it. My experience is that RSP is neat, but not necessary. If there is a leftover slot after EPTX abilities and engineering team, I'd consider it. EPTS3 and tac team with science team/ transfer shield strength to fill in as necessary is working well for my tanks.

As far as DOFFs go, I think I covered that earlier, but if you alter using the EPTx abilities, things would change.

It's your ship, not mine. From the BO setup I provided, I tried to provide a balance of shield heal / boosts and hull heals. Since you say that you want to keep it, What changes are you wanting to make to keep RSP? Cutting out an EPTx ability, engineering team or making the LT uni station engineering instead of science?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    If you are looking for cheap gear to outfit the ship, then there are several things to consider.

In the cardassian episodes, operation gamma and boldly they rode can be re-run to obtain Jem Hadar deflector, engines, shield and dominion polaron beam arrays.
    It's a grind, especially boldly they rode, but the jem hadar set works with both polaron weapons and jem hadar ships a little better than with non jem hadar/ cardassian ships.

If you want antiproton weapons, re-run fluid dynamics in the borg episodes to get MK XI purple AP beam arrays for cheap.
    After that, run Sphere of influence twice to get the warp core and an omni directional AP beam array.

A step between stars can be re-run to get the solanae deflector, shields and engines, which are not a bad set, especially if you are on a budget or have little to nothing to get reputation gear with yet.

Unless you are after a transphasic torpedo build, the breen set stuff is probably not worth mentioning.

There's probably a few things I forgot, but that should help you out if needed.
    Yeah I did that. I got the full jem'hadar set and a full loadout of dominion polarons. By sets meant what rep sets should I start grinding for and being a carrier would flight deck doffs be good?
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If you keep RSP, you have to sacrifice something. I regularly run tanks without it. My experience is that RSP is neat, but not necessary. If there is a leftover slot after EPTX abilities and engineering team, I'd consider it. EPTS3 and tac team with science team/ transfer shield strength to fill in as necessary is working well for my tanks.

As far as DOFFs go, I think I covered that earlier, but if you alter using the EPTx abilities, things would change.

It's your ship, not mine. From the BO setup I provided, I tried to provide a balance of shield heal / boosts and hull heals. Since you say that you want to keep it, What changes are you wanting to make to keep RSP? Cutting out an EPTx ability, engineering team or making the LT uni station engineering instead of science?

Im sacrificing an EPtX but can compensate with captain abilities.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah I did that. I got the full jem'hadar set and a full loadout of dominion polarons. By sets meant what rep sets should I start grinding for and being a carrier would flight deck doffs be good?
    Im sacrificing an EPtX but can compensate with captain abilities.

For rep gear, the asimilated module and kinetic cutting beam are two of the best. and quick to obtain rep gear in the game.
    A 2 piece borg set of deflector and engines are a good tank 2-piece set, as well as 2 piece nukara set of shield and warp core. (Resilient shields are good for tanking due to the natural resistances you'd start with.)
    On the romulan side, the zero point energy conduit will boost crit chance for ya.
    While you work on that Nukara rep, when you hit tier 4, slot both of the abilities in space traits if you'd like. A damage and defense boost based on aux power.....real nice. The tachyon cascade at tier 5 is also real handy.
    In the undine rep side, the neat thing is the tier 5 ability, a green bubble that significantly boosts shield regeneration for several seconds. It's like a supercharged transfer shield strength while you are inside the bubble.

As for keeping RSP, forget using the damage control engineers since they aren't going to do anything for ya. Get a couple of maintenance engineers for engineering team cooldowns and development lab scientists for science team cooldowns. As for DOFFs 5 and 6, you decide what else you want to boost.

I hope that help you out.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    For rep gear, the asimilated module and kinetic cutting beam are two of the best. and quick to obtain rep gear in the game.
    A 2 piece borg set of deflector and engines are a good tank 2-piece set, as well as 2 piece nukara set of shield and warp core. (Resilient shields are good for tanking due to the natural resistances you'd start with.)
    On the romulan side, the zero point energy conduit will boost crit chance for ya.
    While you work on that Nukara rep, when you hit tier 4, slot both of the abilities in space traits if you'd like. A damage and defense boost based on aux power.....real nice. The tachyon cascade at tier 5 is also real handy.
    In the undine rep side, the neat thing is the tier 5 ability, a green bubble that significantly boosts shield regeneration for several seconds. It's like a supercharged transfer shield strength while you are inside the bubble.

As for keeping RSP, forget using the damage control engineers since they aren't going to do anything for ya. Get a couple of maintenance engineers for engineering team cooldowns and development lab scientists for science team cooldowns. As for DOFFs 5 and 6, you decide what else you want to boost.

I hope that help you out.

That helps thanks
    signature.png