test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rep system "pack rewards"?

grethoregrethore Member Posts: 41 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Reputation System
I may be just a bit touchy about this, and I might be just having bad luck, but.....

Is there a good reason why ground gear is the reward from the rep packs 90% of the time? If not higher. It's....frustrating and irritating and it seems really off. So far, from the Romulan rep, I've gone from zero to full tier 5, and only 3 beam weapons have ever been the reward. That's it, 3! Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

The reason I ask is, yup, I'm trying to get the beam weapons, but failing miserably each time I run another rep "project". And honestly, this isn't just for the Romulan rep, it's all of them. This is what I get, from most common to least:

Ground wep: split beam rifle.
Ground wep: stun pistol
Ground wep: high density beam rifle
Ground wep: wide angle pistol
Space wep: single cannon
Ground wep: Full auto rifle
Space wep: turret
Space wep: Dual beam bank
Ground wep: sniper rifle
Ground wep: blast assault
Ground wep: pulsewave assault
space wep: Dual heavy cannons
Space wep: single beam array.

It just seems a bit odd. Single beam arrays are, if I can venture a guess, the most commonly used space weapon in the game, followed by dual and dual heavy cannons. So, from what I've experienced, why are single beam arrays the least likely outcome? And why are ground weapons crammed down our throats so heavily?

I personally HATE ground combat in this game and avoid it like the plague if I can. Is cryptic trying to get us to do more of it? IF so, sorry guys, that's NOT the way to go about getting people to do it more often. In fact, it's had the opposite effect for me. I wasn't fond of it before, but did it just the same while I leveled up, and even did a few ground STF's a long time ago. But Now, won't touch it unless the quest requires it and I usually rush through it as fast as possible, I won't even loot things anymore just to get it over faster.

I know it's random RNG yadda yadda yadda. But jimminy crickets, throw me a bone here guys. The rep system is looking more and more like a huge waste of time since all I get is stuff I'm gonna just recycle anyways.

Oh wait, I forgot to mention this, the ground weapons I do get, well the quality and stats usually go DOWN the higher the tier I am. Errr, huh? The ground weapons I got during Tier 3 have better stats than the ones I'm now getting at Tier 5. So it's just vendor trash for me.

I dunno. I'm frustrated. Ever since DR came out, everything is looking more and more like a grind fest. And I'm sorry, but that's not my cup of tea. I don't mind a little grind and working for things. But when you can go weeks and months with RNG kicking you in the gibblets and laughing at you, it gets old fast. It's not fun recycling something and having to wait 20 hours to try your luck again.

Can you guys PLEASE balance this out and at the least give everything an equal chance of dropping. Or at least change the RNG code to make it you know, a little more random rather than 90% chance of ground weapons.
Post edited by grethore on

Comments

• lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I only get the stuff my characters cannot use. In my own case, my Tactical gets a bunch of torpedoes, even though his ship is all cannons. My Engineer uses all beams, and he gets tons of cannons.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • grethoregrethore Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »
    I only get the stuff my characters cannot use. In my own case, my Tactical gets a bunch of torpedoes, even though his ship is all cannons. My Engineer uses all beams, and he gets tons of cannons.

Cute. Schnauzer Clause.

Ya, it's really really gotten bad lately. Well, basically ever since DR came out, I've had nothing but bad luck and non stop TRIBBLE rewards.

If this is the direction the game is going..........
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There are 10 standard types of ground weapons and 6 standard types of space weapons (or 8 if torpedoes and mines are included), so assuming everything has equal chance you should be getting more ground weapons.

In any case, the odds of getting any one specific item are very low. Even with just those 16 types of weapons in the list, the odds of getting a beam array (or a DHC, a pulsewave, whatever) would be 1/16 or 6.25%.

And yes, it always feels like you're getting everything except what you want out of RNG's. Always. There's probably some fancy name for this effect, but I can't be bothered to search Wikipedia for it.
  • grethoregrethore Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would rather not get ANY ground stuff at all. And certainly now since I have rep ground weps for every single boff I have, even those who don't do ground with me, plus a bunch of extras for when fighting a certain type of enemy. Don't need any more. That's for sure.

And as far as RNG goes...it's not truly random at all, we all know that. At the very least, the guy who coded the RNG algorithms could tell you exactly how many of each item you would get. Just ya know, tweak a few numbers here and there and things will be fine. /wink wink
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Rep system needs the following for each one:

Omega:
    Phaser/Photon ground and space weapons for fed, Disruptor/Photon ground and space weapons for kdf, and Plasma ground and space weapons for rom including a Rom version of the Maco and Honor Guard sets. The ground weapons have a special look that is a three way clash between fleet, reputation, and standerd.

Nukara:
    Sonic tetryon (Not antiproton) ground weapons to match the refracting tetryon space weapons. As well as disrupting transphasic or quantum torpedos and mines

Romulan:
    Romulan plasma torpedos and mines

Dyson:
    Photon, Quantum, or transphasic torpedos and mines. I would reccomend that the ground and space weapons be switched to antiproton instead of poloron.

Undine:
    Undine is chill

Delta:
    Delta is chill

note the pattern here, I have more complaits with older reputations
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • kriskringle3kriskringle3 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have noted two (2) patterns that might help:

(1) when you get something you like on a given day (beam array or ??) there appears to be a better chance of getting more of the same on that day if you run hourlys. can't say it works all the time, but there appears to be a predispostion for this.

(2) when you have higher level boxes you have better chances of better gear. (IV) boxes are more of a tendancy to have space gear, and that gear can be purple rather than blue.

Hope this helps.