test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Old Sarr Theln

artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
edited December 2014 in The Art of Star Trek Online
Pleas consider adding this as an alternate hull option alongside the new one. At least this one looks like a carrier, it's hull is thick enough to realistically hold the frigates inside.

Sarr_Theln_Views.png
Old Sarr Theln
22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
'...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
'...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm pretty torn between the 2 -

The original version is a great looking ship, that looks like it can easily house the 2 hangers worth of ships. Also, the new 'upgrade' skin texture would really work well with it.

The new version also looks great, but I can see your point about the relative difference in ship proportions making it appear as though it couldnt house the hangers. But it is worth noting that most carriers in game, share the same burden in terms of disproportionate carrier vs hanger size.

btw, how did you manage to get the images in the post rather than just links to them?
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    I'm pretty torn between the 2 -

The original version is a great looking ship, that looks like it can easily house the 2 hangers worth of ships. Also, the new 'upgrade' skin texture would really work well with it.

The new version also looks great, but I can see your point about the relative difference in ship proportions making it appear as though it couldnt house the hangers. But it is worth noting that most carriers in game, share the same burden in terms of disproportionate carrier vs hanger size.

btw, how did you manage to get the images in the post rather than just links to them?

I think removing and moving the main deflector somewhere else and covering the front with retractable armour or a forcefield would create a full through deck type carrier.

The image only shows in the art sub-forum, click the little picture of a mountain and add the URL.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just FYI, I started a thread earlier in this subforum regarding this topic, which can be found here for those interested.

Still, as I said before, I would -really- like to have the original Sarr Theln as a separate hull option. The new version just... Doesn't look Breen. Sure it's got the basic shape, but it lacks quite a few of the hallmarks found on other Breen starships, most notable of which is a sizable middle spar, and a visible deflector. That, and the vessel itself just looks... awkward.

The old one retained a distinctive look that set it apart from the other Breen vessels, but it still -looked- like a Breen-made starship. It also had the look of a bonafide carrier vessel about it.
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    my main gripe with the old one is that if you chop off the spikes.... it looks like a different ship, and not a Breen ship.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I liked this model. Why did they have to make a totally brand new one? Why not just do what they do when they convert an NPC ship to a player-flyable?

*SMH*
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    +1 to this topic!!! more hull options that look Breen and reasonable for size..
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I haven't gotten it just yet, no left overs from last year, but is the ship's skin appropriately Breen?

It looks like a Breen ship to me overall with the shape and style. The forward swept design, the blade like hull, the engine placement is all Breen. The color is the only thing I could disagree with.

But I'm all for options, and having both would be a definite plus. The issue is that the player modeled ships are at a much higher resolution and quality than the NPC ships. Remember when Legacy came out and all the Romulan ships got a massive boost in visual quality, especially prominent in the Scimitar. They may not feel comfortable releasing the old version, at least not without taking substantial time to tweak it.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    They may not feel comfortable releasing the old version, at least not without taking substantial time to tweak it.

I am more than comfortable with flying the low-res version until they do get back to it. Some options is better than none at all.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    The old Sarr Theln is better quality than the KDFs K't'ingas and a lot of the low level FED ships.

#TASforSTO

• irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Pleas consider adding this as an alternate hull option alongside the new one. At least this one looks like a carrier, it's hull is thick enough to realistically hold the frigates inside.

Sarr_Theln_Views.png
    Old Sarr Theln

Agreed I prefer the original look and was so excited when I heard it was coming, only to find out I got an oversized Chel Gret, only to be taunted by the NPCs still flying the original design.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The "frigates" in Star Trek are full grown starships with massive dimensions. Non of the "carriers" in the game could house any of them. You just have to accept it as a gameplay feature and headcanon frigates being cloaked or called in reinforcements that were accompanying the carrier in the first place. The ships themselves are tailored to carry shuttlecraft, not frigates.

And this works in the new Sarr Theln. The attack shuttles fit in the "wing" part they take off from. Of course there isn't enough room for all the ships you launch while replacing the losses but that's also "gameplay" related. In-lore the ship is launching it's one or two "wings" of shuttles and that's it. Also, each crrier is designed to "look good" with it's "house" shuttles. If you place swarmers on a Vo'Quv they look "wrong" as well.

That being said, I also am in favor of the old Sarr Theln model to be an option pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Watching a player Sarr Theln launch its Plesh Brek Frigates is like watching a Mouse giving birth to twin Elephant babies.

I personally have no problem with the design of the new Sarr Theln. But it needs to be bigger.
    XzRTofz.gif