test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why making us go to back to Q?

uss917019uss917019 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
Now I know the title doesn’t make sense but let me explain:

Ok first you go into Q's winter wonderland place, now you do lots of stuff and then you stay near something or whatever so that tomorrow or the next time you go on, you log off and log back in your character it will be appearing in front of Q at ESD instead of the last known position.

Can you make us not being forced out of the winter wonderland please 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by uss917019 on

Comments

• Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    yeah, for me its 50/50 on whether i'm still in WW when I log back in or not

still, not super inconvienient, you just talk to him again
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    uss917019 wrote: »

Ok first you go into Q's winter wonderland place, now you do lots of stuff and then you stay near something or whatever so that tomorrow or the next time you go on, you log off and log back in your character it will be appearing in front of Q at ESD instead of the last known position.

So you can sit on his lap and tell him what you want for Christmas... if you've been good you might get it. If you've been naughty.... well, you still might just get it....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2014

ESD is your last known position, WW is not a permanate map. your last known position is never set to there so as to prevent numerous support tickets post-event.
  • Options
    eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    ESD is your last known position, WW is not a permanate map. your last known position is never set to there so as to prevent numerous support tickets post-event.

It's wierd, but by KDF aligned Rom toon is the only one I can leave in WW, and still be there when I log back in.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    it boots you back out cause the map you logged off on is full...

you logged off on winter wonderland map #TRIBBLE... when you tried to log back on, the map was full so you got booted back to Q, at ESD, Qeynos or New Rom... where ever you were previously.

if the map has room then you log back in no problem.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2014

i already answered this question here >
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21107821&postcount=10
    tigeraries wrote: »

you logged off on winter wonderland map #TRIBBLE... when you tried to log back on, the map was full so you got booted back to Q, at ESD, Qeynos or New Rom... where ever you were previously.

it could be that but it is not because the game would just put you in an alternative instance even if that meant opening a new one like it does if you are on new rom or ESD or such, i am more inclined to think it is my explanation as in the link above.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Perhaps I am wrong here, but it looks to me that it works this way. When you log off near Q in WW, the next time you log in, you are at Q in ESD, Q'onos or Rom command centre. When you log off away from Q, I always log off near the Ephoh girl, you will log in in WW.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    tekehd wrote: »

Pretty much this.

ESD is what we call a static map. It sticks around, and is always loaded.
    WW is not. When you log out of a non-static map, you will always be bumped back to the last static map you were on.

So, same thing happens with any Queue, Fleet Starbase, Bridge, etc.

tigeraries wrote: »

Pretty sure that's not the case. It should just find another instance for you if the instance you logged out of is full. (see ESD)
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

WW is not. When you log out of a non-static map, you will always be bumped back to the last static map you were on.

So, same thing happens with any Queue, Fleet Starbase, Bridge, etc.

It's a good thing it's like this. Can you imagine somebody forgetting and logging out in WW on the last day, then trying to log back on when it has been removed and finding their character stuck? Support tickets would go crazy.

Though I assume the game engine would probably try to load you back to the last "stable" map (I"ve had the game do that to me when it has crashed on me during a fight before).
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Pretty much this.

I logged off for the night in the WW and when I logged back in the next day I was still in the WW. Needless to say I was surprised, I assumed that this was because the instance never closed during the time I was offline.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    Ya, I know it does work *sometimes* but I don't know why that is.
    <--- Not A Programmer
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I logged off for the night in the WW and when I logged back in the next day I was still in the WW. Needless to say I was surprised, I assumed that this was because the instance never closed during the time I was offline.

I had the same thought. It would be interesting to notice if you are more likely to be out properly back into Winter Wonderland if you have a low instance number (on the assumption those instances are less likely to close during North American nighttime hours) as opposed to a high one...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    <--- Not A Programmer

My understanding is that this will work when:
    1) Instance you were in is still running.
    2) That instance is not full when you log back in.
    Else, you get booted to the last valid static map.
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    <--- Not A Programmer

Most likely the instance you were in has collapsed while you were gone, so back to the static map you go.

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    <--- Not A Programmer
    I believe it's a mechanism to deal with temporary connection losses - if you get booted from the game during a mission, sometimes you can get back into the mission and continue it.

I had that yesterday in the middle of an Argala run. Was surprised to still see the fight going on, since I was alone in the instance.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't find this as annoying as finishing the Winter Invasion queue and getting sent back to ESD or whichever homeworld I started from... that's the annoying one.
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't find this as annoying as finishing the Winter Invasion queue and getting sent back to ESD or whichever homeworld I started from... that's the annoying one.

yep, thats annoying. I try to do the Invasion as many times as possible and always end up back at ESD. But the same character now can log out and in again and still is in the WW