test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Odd question: Regarding CBS and Ship Approval

leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
So Star Trek: Alien Domain (the new browser game) has launched in beta and all the promotional artwork and material (I can't say anything specific about the contents of the game) centers on controlling a massively refit Constitution class in the 25th century in a campaign against the Undine in Fluidic Space. It clearly has no hull, nacelles, and struts but is described as a Constitution class.

Why would CBS say no here and yes there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wow! I going to run this and see how it goes... Thanks for the heads up!

After the first round this plays like arcade game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So Star Trek: Alien Domain (the new browser game) has launched in beta and all the promotional artwork and material (I can't say anything specific about the contents of the game) centers on controlling a massively refit Constitution class in the 25th century in a campaign against the Undine in Fluidic Space. It clearly has no hull, nacelles, and struts but is described as a Constitution class.

Maybe because it's a lower profile game?

Just shooting in the dark here, I really have no idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014

A) The one in the new game is different enough that they don't mind

B) They didn't think it would be done properly by Cryptic

C) They didn't say no at all

*checks in my pockets for my Occams Razor*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I see there is a base to be built. That means you going to have to get resources and bla, bla. Nice try but no thanks.. Old type of game play too. Nothing like STO though. I am surprise this doesn't play on FB with the other type of space games there. Anyway back to something else! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I havn't played yet, just reading the forums over there. It takes place before STO timeline wise (late 24th) and you start with a Constitution and upgrade out of it fairly quickly. Not in the beta so I can't be sure though.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »

C) They didn't say no at all
    Uh, yeah they did. Check the FCT thread.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    cervantxcervantx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not trying to be an smartass but i think what we cant have in STO is a connie high tier (t5.t6) but we can and in fact we have a connie refit for 25ctentury, its the Exeter class. Now the new game have a connie refit too. ¿But is the top tier ship in that game? i mean, some ss show Sovereigns so its posible that they are in the same condition that connies here in STO.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/7dY4yCA.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    GG Cryptic.

dnirg eht nioj
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Uh, yeah they did. Check the FCT thread.

I didn't see a direct link to a statement from CBS in that thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    I havn't played yet, just reading the forums over there. It takes place before STO timeline wise and you start with a Constitution and upgrade out of it fairly quickly. Not in the beta so I can't be sure though.

It looks to me like you continue to build them as support ships in a vaguely Final Fantasy-like fleet. I heard that it's statistically identical to the Akira in that game as well.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    I didn't see a direct link to a statement from CBS in that thread.
    askray wrote:
    The answer to the T5 connie ship has been a no for 4 years and that answer comes from CBS. As such, there will not be a T5 constitution class ship in STO. This also means that any version of the ship will not be available as an End game ship. Exert from a Q&A with DStahl & from the livestream by Smirk -

Q: (thmichael) Are you going to implement the Ambassador Class at some point? And would it be possible to implement the Old Constitution Class for higher ranks?

Dstahl: Yes. The Ambassador class is coming in 2013. CBS is still pretty adamant about the Old Connie not being an end game ship, but you never know what can happen as time rolls by.
    Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
    A: I personally think it is more of a forum issue right now because there are so many threads that pop up. Not going to come into the game I think ever! The T5 Connie, it was something that used to drive Branflakes insane, he would make me delete those threads, hide them. It doesn’t bother me that much. I would love something along the lines of like the Exeter class. I would love to have a traditional Connie with a 1960’s kind of bussard collector on the nacelles, something that is really big and powerful, like if you gave the regular constitution class a "grow mushroom" from Mario Bros and it just got big and super OP. I would love that but it’s not going to happen. There will not be a T5 Connie.

CBS doesn't post in the forums (imagine how much flak they would take, if they did). They only tell Cryptic, not the players. Thus, the next best thing is a report from the people CBS does speak to - which is what's presented here.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,397 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We have Connies in STO. It's a $5 purchase, Tier 1 ship. The refit version is Tier 2. Then there's the Exeter.

And ours don't have rockets in their shuttle bays.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My guess is that it needs all the help it can get. You can command a Constitution even if it looks nothing like the original or from the movies.

Besides, we don't know what Tier their Constitution is. We already have the Constitutions as Tier 1 and Tier 2 ships that look like the original and that might be the same for their Constitution.
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014

They didnt say no here to a connie they said no to an end game one super powerful one.

I have still a replica of the original one from the original star trek even its t1 I can't remember how/why I got it but it was some kind of reward for something or other.. I had always wanted to be able to upgrade it but the game wont allow it because CBS says they need to be lower tier ships.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm surprised age03 hasn't weighed in here.

I'm going with a combination of reasons:

1) Lower profile game, browser game - less impact on the IP

2) STO had some soft-canon supporting materials, again making it more important to the IP

3) From what it looks like, it will be a lower ship on the power scale than newer vessels in most cases

4) CBS took a chill pill and isn't being as picky now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Like others have said, CBS never said no to the Connie, just to the T5 front line Connie.

Now that doesn't stop the Federation in STO or in this new game from being used in a support/reserve/training/rear guard/emergence situation, but it seems like in both games CBS said no it's not going to be used as a top tier, front line, state of the art ship.

So really I'm not exactly sure what the OPs problem is, except to turn this into another slightly disguised , 10 millionth time whine of "I want a T5 Connie!"
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    • Well, well, someone did something proper with the 'Phaser Woman', no sexy stance, clean uniform and facial posture has confidence.
    • And a up to date uniform....star fleet standard.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    One of my favorite things to poke with in STO:

- Playable Species 8472 ships.
    - Ancient ENT era endgame ships.
    - Starfleet, KDF, Romulan captains flying non-faction ships (I forgot the season where Picard was assigned to captain a non-Starfleet vessel).

But it's deemed unacceptable to have endgame ships of the class that was the centerpiece ship of the franchise for about 20 years until TNG and the Galaxy-class was made.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Like others have said, CBS never said no to the Connie, just to the T5 front line Connie.

Now that doesn't stop the Federation in STO or in this new game from being used in a support/reserve/training/rear guard/emergence situation, but it seems like in both games CBS said no it's not going to be used as a top tier, front line, state of the art ship.

So really I'm not exactly sure what the OPs problem is, except to turn this into another slightly disguised , 10 millionth time whine of "I want a T5 Connie!"

Actually, Cryptic had to fight to get the Connie in the game, period.
    They had the model all done when They made Their first presentation to CBS.
    It was then that They were told NO.
    (This was during the time when JJ was fighting to get all the old Trek marketing stuff pulled and even though CBS would eventually say NO to him, They still didn't want to pizz him off entirely at that moment, while negotiations were still happening for Trek '09)

The only reason Cryptic finally succeeded in actually getting the Connie in the game, was because GameStop wanted it in their box as an exclusive and were willing to pay for it.
    (rumor has it that somebody who no longer works for Cryptic, contacted the CEO of GameStop and told him about the problem.)

That is when CBS relented to the Tier 1 version.

Dstahl told us this waaaayy back during the build up to F2P (when They were still denying that F2P was coming).

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    - Starfleet, KDF, Romulan captains flying non-faction ships (I forgot the season where Picard was assigned to captain a non-Starfleet vessel).
    Picard never was. There was one episode in which the Empire and the Federation traded officers for an exchange mission (the Enterprise got Kern, which was the ep in which we learned he was Worf's brother, and Riker played first officer of a B'rel-class; he wound up taking command at one point).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Picard never was. There was one episode in which the Empire and the Federation traded officers for an exchange mission (the Enterprise got Kern, which was the ep in which we learned he was Worf's brother, and Riker played first officer of a B'rel-class; he wound up taking command at one point).

Exactly. Because Starfleet, the Klingon Empire, the Romulans, etc. didn't assign their captains to command ships that weren't made and supported by them.

Exchange programs have happened to send an officer to a friendly, allied military. Riker did one such trip to be on a Klingon ship.

But an exchange is a completely different thing than something like Starfleet telling Kirk, Picard, etc. to take command of a foreign vessel for good.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Exactly. Because Starfleet, the Klingon Empire, the Romulans, etc. didn't assign their captains to command ships that weren't made and supported by them.

Exchange programs have happened to send an officer to a friendly, allied military. Riker did one such trip to be on a Klingon ship.

But an exchange is a completely different thing than something like Starfleet telling Kirk, Picard, etc. to take command of a foreign vessel for good.
    And on another front, when Riker was aboard the Klingon ship, he wore the uniform of his own military, Starfleet - not the robes and armor of a Klingon officer. Which is why your Romulan Embassy BOffs wear Romulan uniforms, as is proper.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

Sisko flies a bugship, and Kirk spent a whole movie and a half in a Bird of Prey.

The biggest problem is that feddies can't fly low tier klank ships, and vice versa.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    CBS doesn't post in the forums (imagine how much flak they would take, if they did). They only tell Cryptic, not the players. Thus, the next best thing is a report from the people CBS does speak to - which is what's presented here.

This only holds water if Cryptic isn't lying to us.

We only have their word what CBS said.

It could just be the dev's own prejudice with a lie about CBS saying no to support it.

It's not like they've ever lied to us..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    pulled from that crazy d. stahl quote.
    but you never know what can happen as time rolls by.

never mind what was wrote in red. it basically read at the time, "we wont do one now but perhaps in the future we can" .. a legacy of stahl that doesnt hold any weight any longer, need d'angelo to confirm or deny if anything stays or gets tossed.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This only holds water if Cryptic isn't lying to us.

We only have their word what CBS said.

It could just be the dev's own prejudice with a lie about CBS saying no to support it.

It's not like they've ever lied to us..... :rolleyes:

Are you more of the opinion that Cryptic is a company that is trying to milk every penny from Star Trek fans it can get, or are you more of the opinion that Cryptic would refuse to earn money if they felt it violated their vision of Star Trek?

No matter what reason Cryptic gives or has for selling no Tier 6 Connie - the fact remains it is losing out on good money.

I am not sure if ST:AD has ship levels and the like, but it could easily be that the Connie is available in the game, but not an "endgame" ship.

If it's more like an RTS, it could also simply be a "cheap" unit compared to a Sovereign or Intrepid.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I think it might have to do with CBS's direct involvement with the project. Nevertheless, its their IP, they can do whatever they want with it.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I go back and forth on the Connie argument..

We have been told that there is no End Game Constitution class because CBS Won't allow it. This has never made sense to me, and the only confirmation we have that this is true is Cryptic telling us it's true.

The only reason I can think of that CBS would object would be preservation of cannon story. Constitution Class ships are no longer in service and aren't meant to be front line ships flying with Galaxy Class, Sovereigns, etc.

But if CBS is so obsessed with preserving Cannon, why would they allow some of the crazy stuff in this game? Things like Starfleet being comprised almost entirely of Admirals flying around in Jem Hadar Ships with Orion/Breen/Borg crew members.. etc. Why would they be so adamant on this one issue and overlook everything else in this game? It makes no sense.

This leads me to believe that Cryptic isn't telling the entire story, or is at the least being intentionally deceptive.

But that makes no sense either. People scream for T5 Constitution Class.. why I don't know.. but they do. It makes no sense that Cryptic would pass up the chance to make money by marketing this ship.

In the end, the entire thing leaves me not knowing what to believe. Personally, I don't care because I wouldn't fly an Constitution Class if you gave me one for free (which they actually do at T2, but that's beside the point.) The point is, for whatever reason, it's just not going to happen. It looks like the Browser game is using nothing other then the name Constitution, because clearly that ship is not a Constitution class Federation Cruiser.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The reason I always thought was perhaps because of an agreement with Abrams and Paramount to downplay certain merchandise to give the new product room to grow.

In any case, I wasn't so much setting out to create a T5/T6 TOS Connie thread so much as to question the apparent discrepancy where another licensee was allowed to make a "new" Connie refit that they position as being the Akira's exact counterpart (I was informed that it has identical stats to the Akira).

Obviously it's not the same as a ship that looks like it's from TOS being a T5 ship but it does seem to form a contradiction with what we know of approvals here, since we'd also had an endgame Exeter shot down and never had "third Constitution" (distinct from the TOS and TMP ships) presented as an option the way this other game seems to have done.

I've seen a number of similar suggestions in STO (ie. Cruiser Retrofit that excludes the Connie or intro of a new style Connie or a new style Connie escort or even a mandatory third nacelle Light Dreadnought). And was under the impression that the ship shape itself was out.