test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

BOff/Ship Synergy

berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
So, I just finished off getting the Breen Raider from last year (missed it by 3 days! Next time, I feed the Rep Project all at once, not as I go, or I'd have a T6 carrier right now...) and in setting it up, I thought about putting my Breen BOff in one of the slots, but... I already have to choose between: a Human to slot for Leadership, Romulan for SRO, Borg for Efficient, Xindi for Impatient, Nausican for Pirate, Talaxian for...

Well, you get the idea. To have the most effective build I can based on traits, I can't use the BOff you'd expect to see on the bridge of the ship. Same goes for my D'Kora: I had to cull a couple Ferengi from my roster just because they were not as effective as my BOffs with Space Traits. It made me a little sad to do, as it makes me sad to know I'm not going to use he Breen now. It also makes me wonder: Does this make sense?

Why wouldn't a Breen BOff have some advantage on a Bridge they are most familiar with? Same goes for the Ferengi, or the Xindi BOff/Ship, or the... you get the drift. Sitting on the Bridge of my new Raider, I wondered: what are these towers with the glowing red centers? Are they some Breen Technology, or Heaters my crew installed so we wouldn't die from the cold? This points to 2 disadvantages a non-Breen should have on the ship: first, an unfimiliarity with the technology/design. Second, the ship just plain isn't designed for a species other than the Breen.

Shouldn't having BOffs who's homeworld designed/built the ships we fly have an advantage over other BOffs? As far as game mechanics go, it could work just like a Set Bonus. I'd imagine it would have to be non-stacking, as those of us with a ship like he D'Kora could just buy a raft of Ferengi for a fraction of what it'd cost for the poor bloke with the Xindi ship, or even worse, for those with a ship that has a BOff you can only have one of (like the Breen...) I suppose, the fact that some of the ships hat should be effected do't have BOff counterparts at all, so this is either a reason not to do it, OR a reason to have more BOff races available.

Thoughts?
"Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The person who designs the ships and the person who designs the bridge officers probably sit 2 feet away from each other, but they probably don't talk due to some sort of personal issue or vendetta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    The person who designs the ships and the person who designs the bridge officers probably sit 2 feet away from each other, but they probably don't talk due to some sort of personal issue or vendetta.

I would think they would have had to gotten over that when they developed Intel BOff seating.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Cool idea for special boffs (could also be applied to Reman, Jem'Hadar, Voth [Dyson rep], and Heirachy [Delta rep]), but there's one slight issue with the premise.

You have a crew now that's been selected for the best effect they have on your stats. In any case they're not going to represent the best character choices you could have made. So where then is the special issue with not being able to use the most thematically relevant boff (ie. the breen) for your breen ship? You've made similar (though more ambiguous) decisions with every one of your other crews.

IMO this sort of change is best argued for from the perspective that only some boffs having space powers needs to be addressed in some form. Perhaps it could be through a revamp of boff traits that gives each so many ground traits, so many space (4/1 might be best mix considering that the effect of space boffs is additive), with the themed special boffs (ie. Reman, Jem'Hadar, Voth, Borg, and Breen, no need ruining the present Heirarchy and Talaxian for this) having traits that directly benefit thematic ships and/or equipment sets.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    IMO this sort of change is best argued for from the perspective that only some boffs having space powers needs to be addressed in some form. Perhaps it could be through a revamp of boff traits that gives each so many ground traits, so many space (4/1 might be best mix considering that the effect of space boffs is additive), with the themed special boffs (ie. Reman, Jem'Hadar, Voth, Borg, and Breen, no need ruining the present Heirarchy and Talaxian for this) having traits that directly benefit thematic ships and/or equipment sets.
    This would be the simplest solution.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    How about a new, passive BOFF seat instead?

So the problem is between slotting your 5 best space BOFFs, while trying to fit in your BOFF that the ship is local to. What about if, for ships such as the Breen, there is a 6th BOFF slot that allows for a passive stat boost? Something to the effect of a Technical Advisor?

So on a Jem'Hadar ship, you can have your Jem'Hadar BOFF sit in the TA's chair, which would give a small boost to efficiency, crits, etc. Each of the bonuses would be much reduced from the bonus you'd get from a BOFF with the Efficiency trait, but the TA would give just slight enough a boost in enough areas to make it worth it. Maybe the TA gives something to the effect of 1/4th the boost of an Efficient BOFF, 1/4 the boost of Operative, 1/4 the boost of Leadership, and so on.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Haven't the "best" Boffs been Human/Saurian/Romulan for a while now?

It'd be great to see that change, and yes, faction/ship specific Boff traits would be a nice little nod.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.