test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

winter 2014 Decor

quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
i wish to make a comment about the decor while its pretty and "frozen" i think the center gazebo should have remained Wood .
I love the look of the snow borg area its very pretty and well thought out and done . but for the center area the wood gave a more of a Holidays look to me ,

To change the area from last year a nice fireplace in the center would have been a great addition to the old wood decor and made it very festive .

anyone else ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I admit, I miss the old wood lodge/pavilion too.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This just shows that not everything that Cryptic does a "touch up" on is gold .

I was not happy with the DS9 exterior revamp , nor with the Drozana revamp , nor with the gazebo update .
    The new gazebo is tacky , unrealistic , and it takes away the color contrast that the previous wood incarnation offered . Now it's just a sea of white , gray and "glass" .

If this was meant to make our characters "pop out" more , it failed .
    If this was meant to look "shiny / Q like tacky" , it succeeded .
    It just looks like it was meant to convey "splendor" and ended up visually boring .

All in all I'm not a big fan of seemingly mono-color on ground , and this new setup delivers that in spades , and is seemingly inspired by a "Frozen" like CGI title , becoming another example of why I'm worried about an interior DS9 revamp ... .

... and did I mention boring ? Yes I did , but I thought to mention it again in case it did not sink in ... . :(
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    This just shows that not everything that Cryptic does a "touch up" on is gold .

I was not happy with the DS9 exterior revamp , nor with the Drozana revamp , nor with the gazebo update .
    The new gazebo is tacky , unrealistic , and it takes away the color contrast that the previous wood incarnation offered . Now it's just a sea of white , gray and "glass" .

If this was meant to make our characters "pop out" more , it failed .
    If this was meant to look "shiny / Q like tacky" , it succeeded .
    It just looks like it was meant to convey "splendor" and ended up visually boring .

All in all I'm not a big fan of seemingly mono-color on ground , and this new setup delivers that in spades , and is seemingly inspired by a "Frozen" like CGI title , becoming another example of why I'm worried about an interior DS9 revamp ... .

... and did I mention boring ? Yes I did , but I thought to mention it again in case it did not sink in ... . :(

Why would that worry you about a DS9 revamp? Would going for a Frozen knock off here somehow inspire them to go for a San Fransokyo look for Starfleet Academy or model DS9 on Monsters University with anthropomorphic runabouts based on Cars

Hm. I have to say, the idea of a Disney Star Trek is really screaming to me as a funny idea for a parody.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Why would that worry you about a DS9 revamp?

A) because of the way DS9 exterior looks now with a giant flashlight (errr ... sun) about 3-5km away from you (not featured in the show where you were a warp jump away from the Bajoran sun) that "lights up" the station in a way that changes (pale's out) the colors of the ships next to the station (also not a feature shown in the show) .
    And while Taco said that the black background is more like the show (true) , from a personal perspective , I LOVED the prevous background , that added to the dark , murky and just plain ALIEN feeling .
    (still can be seen in the Cardassia system -- and it's gorgeous there too)

B) there is no guarantee that any DS9 interior revamp will hold true to the Sisko era look .
    Remember that a current CBS product (the books) now feature a new DS9 ... , that looks like it could house some elements from our current ESD (the "mall" look) .
    What if CBS would ask for that look now ?

C) because once Cryptic pour money into a revamp , they NEVER change it back .

... they can add Odo's office and an infirmary to the current station , but I don't *need* to see anything else , as I love the interior as it is ...

In fact it would be a lot nicer if they would make the Voyager style bio bed's opening and closing scanner arch work in game on all medical bio beds .
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Whatever you think of the new Winter Event environment...and at least personally I am not hugely bothered about it even though yes, the atmosphere of the place changes compared to previous years...I would point out that DS9 is an entirely different beast. When Taco last discussed the idea of revamping DS9, though he stated that right now there would not be a plot reason allowing him to do so, he was DEFINITELY talking in the direction of verisimilitude to the original on-screen station.

Which means that instead of an entirely new concept off the drawing board, he would very likely be working with tons upon tons upon tons of reference pics. And if I were in his position and had the equipment he does at my disposal, I wouldn't just be relying on screengrabs from Trekcore.com, though I might use those as a jumping-off point. I'd be cueing up the DVD's and taking my own higher-quality screenshots of angles I really needed to get my work done. I would also be consulting models of individual props. Some of the photos of them from the It's A Wrap! auctions in particular are really good for showing individual items by themselves, and would go a long way towards the detail work.

While some liberties would still have to be taken in order to avoid any gameplay or display problems (and I am a mediocre amateur traditional artist, not a qualified professional environment artist, so Taco is going to know WAY better than I would here), I just don't think you can make an apples-to-apples comparison between a completely original environment like the Winter Wonderland, and a project aiming for verisimilitude with a location seen extensively onscreen in canon.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.