test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Boy oh boy, it's been awhile!

mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PvP Gameplay
It's been like a month and a half since I was on here. Damn, feels weird actually.

Got to finally start playing the game again the other day, I won't bore you all with why I was gone for awhile there, and just keep it to 'real life got in the way'.

So while I have played some and learned a pretty good amount of what is going on, I'm really curious what has been going on both here and in the game, plus what you all, my fellow PvPers feel about the whole thing...before this probably ends up getting moved.
I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
Post edited by mimey2 on

Comments

• Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Move people have moved on man. Really don't think there is any pvp going on. Even the PvE kids are starting to jump ship. I would say in the next few months STO will pretty much be a Star Trek Barbie House. If you wanna stick around and roll play might be the game for you... if not Elite Dangerous launches in a few weeks now... EVE is adding manual flight controls in a week or so... TOR has a new expansion in the next week as well. Archage is starting to find its feet and plenty of Ex STO players... Virus has been playing Swordsman. Swordsman does look fun but most of us can't bring ourselves to download it as its another PWE game and likely if its not grindy as heck now it will be later. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    It's been like a month and a half since I was on here. Damn, feels weird actually.

Got to finally start playing the game again the other day, I won't bore you all with why I was gone for awhile there, and just keep it to 'real life got in the way'.

So while I have played some and learned a pretty good amount of what is going on, I'm really curious what has been going on both here and in the game, plus what you all, my fellow PvPers feel about the whole thing...before this probably ends up getting moved.

Hi Mimey,

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. If you enjoy RTS/ FPS you might want to look up Heroes and Generals. Rather intense PvP-focused and rivalry like the good 'ol days.
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hey there!

PvP is more or less in the pit - even Kerrat feels a bit lacking, especially since it's split into L60 and those not quite there yet.

Intel has utterly blown apart the previous balance system, such as it was. Only time will tell whether things will get better, whether through dev tweaks or discovery of new tactics - but the PvP fleets are quiet. Queues are quiet in my timezone - they only ever pop on weekends.

I'm just moseying along, the occasional hour of gameplay here and there. But PvP doesn't really happen for me anymore. I've regressed to single-player games - but I'm in MWO sometimes, though.

Like antonio said, stick around for a bit of ST fun, but hardcore PvP, I feel, is no more atm. It may change in future, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Move people have moved on man. Really don't think there is any pvp going on. Even the PvE kids are starting to jump ship. I would say in the next few months STO will pretty much be a Star Trek Barbie House. If you wanna stick around and roll play might be the game for you... if not Elite Dangerous launches in a few weeks now... EVE is adding manual flight controls in a week or so... TOR has a new expansion in the next week as well. Archage is starting to find its feet and plenty of Ex STO players... Virus has been playing Swordsman. Swordsman does look fun but most of us can't bring ourselves to download it as its another PWE game and likely if its not grindy as heck now it will be later. :)

Short version....... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !!! :eek:
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well lets see... All your ships on all your toons are obsolete, and you have to pay $5-7 per ship just to run the same content you were doing before they broke it, and you still wont compete with the T6 ships that require whole new $30 purchase. Not just the ships, all the weapons and consoles go up to Mk XIV now and require pretty large amounts of dilithium and multiple very-rare materials per item to upgrade, so you have to pay for that as well if you dont want to farm forever to work it. Even if you get the gear, specialization is like the lvl 50 rep chasm x20 -- level 60 with full spec tree is vastly more powerful than level 60 without it, they are not even in the same game -- but it takes a year of running patrol missions full-time to get max spec. No other activities give decent skill gains so all of the other queues are empty and never pop. Nobody wants to take their old underlevel alts with underlevel ships and gear into PVP so those are dead too.

I might have forgotten something
  • Options
    edited November 2014

"Even the PvE kids are starting to jump ship."

Really that bad, Husanak? To be honest, I can see why. Just trying to LEVEL a single toon, let alone including rep, more specialization traits, a tier 6 ship (I can get away with tier 5 in PvP for the most part), mk XIV gear, and so on, a level 60 is far more powerful than a 50 by any stretch.

I'll still play if for no other reason than my fleet. But even I doubt I will try and PvP anymore. The bar was high before, but now it's at least doubled to even be able to compete.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Mimey, wherever you went, it's got to be better than here. There's nothing left but a carcass the devs (or probably just one reptilian one) insist on nerfing to death.

I haven't logged on for probably 2-3 weeks, and I'm happier for it.

If you can find some fun with your fleet, hooray! But otherwise, you'd be best off not even thinking about trying to be near competitive, let alone PvP-ready.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    "Even the PvE kids are starting to jump ship."

Really that bad, Husanak? To be honest, I can see why. Just trying to LEVEL a single toon, let alone including rep, more specialization traits, a tier 6 ship (I can get away with tier 5 in PvP for the most part), mk XIV gear, and so on, a level 60 is far more powerful than a 50 by any stretch.

I'll still play if for no other reason than my fleet. But even I doubt I will try and PvP anymore. The bar was high before, but now it's at least doubled to even be able to compete.

why would you grind 887 Argala per character, just to max out your ship, when there is nothing to look forward to but even more pve? pvp was always the only reason to bother with the new grinds, if its gone the reason is gone.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    After having created 12 toons, I'm just waiting 3 days before I can delete one to create one that I believe that I'll be happy with - hate the 7 day deletion wait thing the game has. New to the game, want to try things out...and yeah, they don't make it easy.

There are a bunch of things that feel like it's still in beta even though it came out of beta earlier in the year...even some goofy things where the subtitles are still Chinese and not English yet.

Sometimes I feel like a pervert while playing a female toon, cause they really did an awesome job with the rigging and animation...ahem...yeah.

Haven't done any PvP yet - just watched some vids and seen the announcements that folks have killed and looted folks here and there. It's pretty nifty to see that there are leaderboards and even rewards for the top players.

The responsiveness of the UI has been pretty nifty, but it's needed for a more player skill based game. While it's not something I usually want in my MMO, it touches upon my favorite type of console game - the fighting game, so I'm actually enjoying that.

There's all sorts of flashy effects that look great without the screen turning into a slideshow that looks like a cat puked up a box of crayons on the screen.

There's no doubt that there will be problems down the road, not sure how much of it will be P2W in the end with Sycee and the rest - but I'm having fun as a nub running around, Hell - with those 12 toons I've replayed through the same content numerous times without feeling like I was replaying through the content - even though it was the same...just cause it was fun to do.

Have hit up some group instances on solo and even kicked up the notch on difficulty even though it has meant getting my butt handed to me - but there's just so much there to learn, all the different combos and working in the alternative progression along with the standard progression.

Again, it's far from perfect - but yeah, it's lightyears ahead of this failing monstrosity...

edit: Lol, even Hawk left...https://twitter.com/JeffAHamilton/status/535108017193091072

edit2: Yes, I realize that my "generic" post counts as a "doom" post - but there's no fighting all the whining on the forums, and it's much easier to give in to it - wheeee, we're all doomed. Besides, it would take too long to get into all the various reasons why logging in to STO makes me think about taking a cheese grater to my sack...

edit3: By the way, the game I was talking about is Swordsman.

edit4: Hope you're doing okay there...
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sometimes I feel like a pervert while playing a female toon, cause they really did an awesome job with the rigging and animation...ahem...yeah.

bro, you can't get any more pervert than hannibal and I during last livestream! :D
    don't feel too bad about it.
  • Options
    dius1981dius1981 Member Posts: 500
    edited November 2014

Sup Mim,

Good to see you back on the forums.

The game is still fun IMO. Some things need to be slightly adjusted like the Neutronic torp but other then that I am still enjoying Ker'rat and the ques when they pop.

D,
    OMEGA ARMADA & House of Beautiful Orions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please keep the QQ to a minimum.
    >>>PUNISH THE FEDs<<<
    >>>Positive Feedback from a PvE HERO<<<
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Sheesh, even Hawk left? One of the few devs actually willing to look at things to balance them out. Not all the time, and not in the ways we wanted, but at least he did try.