test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

State of the Game

bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Exp Progression
Currently suffers from two problems. First it is far too slow, painfully slow. Beyond a few patrols and doff assignments the progression is so slow it is non existent. So slow in fact that it is demotivating when I see an exp reward.

Queue missions need to reward at least 1/15th of a level from the end reward alone. One other good source for higher exp rewards would be the foundry spotlights.

Gear Upgrade System
At it's core this is an amazing system and the most appealing part of Delta Rising to me. I already have crafting at 16+ in all schools and stockpiled resources and am for the most part happy with the cost. Yes rarity upgrades are extremely expensive but they are also true long term projects. I built a starbase mostly by myself and view this in a similar way. Mark upgrades are reasonable priced especially when compared to the upfront cost of existing mk 12 gear.

That said I can empathize with the energy credit cost many are suffering. Hopefully the upcoming component cost reductions combined with early adopter demand decreasing will push these down.

Queue Difficulty
I used to regularly play 8+ different queues. Now I play two. My philosophy on how the difficulties should be structured is as follows:
Normal: Anyone can complete. The better you are the higher the reward V time ratio becomes.
Advanced: PuGs can complete provided atleast one or two players are well geared/skilled OR high amount of teamwork. Reliance on three+ players 'doing the right thing' should never be required. Reliance on them 'not doing the wrong thing' is fine. Case in point Crystalline Entity requires the team to not do the wrong thing. Borg Disconnected requires the team to do the right thing. Seems like they are the same, but they are not.
Elite: Should require intense teamwork, specific gear/tactics/composition, and adapting as the mission goes on. Currently nothing fits this criteria and honestly, I should not be PuGing Bug Hunt Elite. It is a joke.

If the difficulties followed the above philosophy they would be amazing except....

Queue Populations
The population does not exist for this many queues. Far too many have -- next to average wait time. You need a method to focus the average population to specific queues in a rotating fashion.

I suggest a return of hourly events. Rotate a set of related queues every two hours at the top of the list where the new queues are currently shown. Assign a bonus to each day of the week of marks, RnD materials, dilithium, and skill points. When you play a queue from that 'set' you get the bonus reward for that day.

I would love such a thing combined with a difficulty rebalance. It would add variety to the game and each time I log in I would have something hopefully interesting to play.

Communication
I am happy to see an increase in communication. I am not happy to see the sheer amount of 'snark' from users of these forums snipping at one another including from myself at times. I am appalled to see one of the developers who already has a history of being dismissive and insulting to the community here being snarky even if it was intended as a joke. A thread discussing the math of a recent change to progression that already had players annoyed is obviously not the place for such things.

Also I do wish you guys were a bit faster to implement some things (RnD), and a bit more thorough with others (exp change). But the recent improvement to communication is something I appreciate.

Tutorials
The game flat out fails to teach players how to succeed. This should be your primary focus moving forward. With everything added to the game the first question asked should be 'how can we improve the users game mastery with this addition'.

For example the default weapon layout for the Romulan Aelahl Warbird Battlecruiser is as follows: Torpedo, Beam Array, Dual Cannon, Dual Beam, Torpedo, Beam Array, Two Turrets. That layout will deal no damage and mislead a new player on how to effectively equip weapons on their ship. That would be embarrassing to me if I was responsible for such a thing.

If it had seven Beam Arrays and a single torpedo, or even six beam arrays with two torpedoes it would not be optimal or hand holding but would at least help to form a foundation for what weapons to equip to a ship like that.

Please stop doing those types of things. Things like that result in players in PuGs doing 1/20th the damage of their teammates resulting in everyone being frustrated. You need to find a better way for new players to learn your game then 'ask their fleet' or 'check the forums'.

My Perspective
This is all from my personal point of view as a casual hardcore player perspective. I primarily PuG. I fly 'good enough' ship builds that can hold their own/carry DPS oriented queues. I have a high amount of in game assets but not every single bell n whistle or all gold equipment. This is a link to my primary toons via gateway for reference who are still WIPs.

Space: http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Zartha@Kreael)/ship-equipment
Ground: http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(bugoo@Kreael)/
Post edited by bareel on

Comments

• Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Good points in your post there. You really need to send this to them as feedback. They have PWE and CS sites, but the issue is your just one person out of so many. Once I was flying on plane and found myself sitting next to software game CEO. I told him I use to make Windows games in C++ Object Oriented. But the point is unless you ran into the CEO, unless someone higher up happens to read this thread, just not going to get your point of view across the table to them.

Title is good though State of the Game that should make some eyes roll this way! Good Luck with this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Good post.

Point of Information: Nobody else can look at your stuff on the Gateway.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This thread reads just like the 14 others threads started before on the same topics...
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    Good post.

Point of Information: Nobody else can look at your stuff on the Gateway.

• Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    Not able to access your links.

But i did manage to login to my account, using an outdated Cryptic account guard to find that all my characters are now federation science captains.

Read your post - and as others have stated, this has been covered by more than a dozen other threads.

I doubt it will have any impact. According to LaughingTrendy, they're very happy with the financial results of DR. Given that coincides with reducing the F2P population, one could assume it's a 'unintended consequence' of the changes which just 'happen' to also benefit the company.

It's frustrating, but it should mean better content. Fewer bugs. Right?
  • Options
    startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I believe something converted the parentheses in your links into %28 and %29 respectively.
    The corrected links are:
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Zartha@Kreael)/ship-equipment
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(bugoo@Kreael)/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I believe something converted the parentheses in your links into %28 and %29 respectively.
    The corrected links are:
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Zartha@Kreael)/ship-equipment
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(bugoo@Kreael)/

Woot thanks. No idea why that happened I'll edit my OP.