test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Didn't know Cryptic had 1000 employees just to listen to the whining

mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
When you guys get a grip, behave like grown men, and decide what actually needs to get done maybe Cryptic will work towards those goals. Until then jump for joy when there are dozens of patches completed on a weekly basis.

Just my 2 cents.
Post edited by mirrorterran on

Comments

• Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If they had that many dedicated to patches, we should have any or at least they should be fixed by now.
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    When you guys get a grip, behave like grown men, and decide what actually needs to get done maybe Cryptic will work towards those goals. Until then jump for joy when there are dozens of patches completed on a weekly basis.

Just my 2 cents.

To whom are you speaking?

Form Mods are NOT Cryptic employees.

I feel the actual DEVS that are working on the game have been too diversified (do we really need a group just for viisual art? Cant they all crossshare workload?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I love when people make whining posts.. to complain about whining.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    I feel the actual DEVS that are working on the game have been too diversified (do we really need a group just for viisual art? Cant they all crossshare workload?)

The devs have a diversified set of skills where they would just get in the way if they shared the work. You don't get a mechanic to do your taxes just like you don't get an accountant to fix your car.

Tacofangs is great at designing environments, but he probably knows almost nothing about programming and fixing bugs.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    We need more... KDF players and Romulan players!!!, NO SHIPS FOR YOU!! :D
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    The devs have a diversified set of skills where they would just get in the way if they shared the work. You don't get a mechanic to do your taxes just like you don't get an accountant to fix your car.

Tacofangs is great at designing environments, but he probably knows almost nothing about programming and fixing bugs.

But you have to admit,if they had 1000 people working at Cryptic...at least a few would know what the hell they are doing right....haven't seen any evidence of that lately.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Didn't know Cryptic had 1,000 employees, full stop.

Nice try though :D
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I love when people make whining posts.. to complain about whining.

'Whining about the whiners' should become a verboten FCT, really.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Just my 2 cents.

they likely have a few hundred at least, for the server operation in boston, and the rest work on all three games split, plus HR, admin, cleaners and such.

it entirely depends on the weekly schedule and future schedule within a tight timeline. thats what i have observed for some time now.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    they likely have a few hundred at least, for the server operation in boston, and the rest work on all three games split, plus HR, admin, cleaners and such.

it entirely depends on the weekly schedule and future schedule within a tight timeline. thats what i have observed for some time now.

Cryptic utilizes subcontracting. Much of their engine is pieced together from other engine modules, like the FMOD audio engine. The server maintenance is a service they pay for as I understand it.

If they have over 200, that's likely only because they expanded to a second office location awhile back.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Cryptic utilizes subcontracting. Much of their engine is pieced together from other engine modules, like the FMOD audio engine. The server maintenance is a service they pay for as I understand it.

If they have over 200, that's likely only because they expanded to a second office location awhile back.

indeed, i got the impression that cryptic is a small time operation in los gatos rather then something large. i mean 1000 people working for cryptic reads as if it was a fantasy rather then something accurate. if what you state is true then they are even smaller then expected.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What is whining?

Is there a legitimate complaint to be made, or is any complaint, opinion, or suggestion considered to be whining?

My suspicion is that when there are genuine problems with content, difficulty, progression, or other issues that discourage most of us, Cryptic does put a focus on them. Pretty much every new update and change, Cryptic pushes beyond the envelope of what the players will accept, and pretty much without fail, Cryptic makes things seem acceptable... at least until the next update. Because Cryptic pushes things way beyond acceptable, when they pull back, it seems as if they really compromised. :cool:
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    prierin wrote: »

I had to look up a good gif for this and I still don't think this works.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Just my 2 cents.
    Dozen of patches weekly ? I don't remember the game being down almost twice everyday for patching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    indeed, i got the impression that cryptic is a small time operation in los gatos rather then something large. i mean 1000 people working for cryptic reads as if it was a fantasy rather then something accurate. if what you state is true then they are even smaller then expected.

1000 employees would probably be more than any two MMO teams on the top MMOs.

My impression is that the second office for Cryptic was done partly to maintain Champions as a reduced cost operation (and may have been done in coordination with the Runic Games people at their sister company). STO has around 40-50 devs. I wouldn't be shocked if NW has around 75.

I think the top games in the MMO field run with less than 300 per game.

So even if all three of Cryptic's games were HUGE successes, they probably still wouldn't have over 1000 employees working on live games.

I've seen the analogy used in multiple contexts to think of an MMO development team, numbers-wise, like being roughly the size of a single location of a chain restaurant's staff. Restaurants that are fairly stable range from maybe 15-150 employees. (The pay is a lot better. But due to where most of these studios locate, nobody is getting rich off of a $90k salary because the cost of living makes that equivalent to $25k or so in middle America. Outside of management, an entry level dev is probably living in a one bedroom apartment and not saving a lot of money unless they have a spouse or roommate.)

I could get into the general idea behind why they locate in expensive areas but it boils down to this:

- The job is high turnover.

- They believe they need to centralize their operation in a highly educated area with lots of game design expertise. (Generally Silicon Valley, although Vancouver, Austin, and Charlotte are solid game design cities.)

- Places with lots of educated people tend to suffer from localized inflation. If they didn't, nobody would take out the trash. The best guys could go anywhere and make six figures. Concentrating these guys in an area drives costs up. There are parts of California where a garbageman makes six figures and gets a full retirement.

- Read up on Richard Florida for a layman's view on why these businesses cluster. Or Michael Porter for the academic view. There are dissenting views on this out there but the bottom line is that nobody who has declustered has been a huge success and the minute somebody works out how to do this, everyone will decluster. Some would say it's impossible but given that writers and illustrators have been declustered for 40 years, I think it's probably a matter of the tools for design getting good enough at lowering the bar for skill needed.

It will probably be an indy game that cracks the code. I was invited to be the lead writer on one of the City of Heroes inspired MMOs, oddly enough by a team lead that didn't know I played MMOs. I'm iffy on these fan MMO projects fully working but as time goes by, I think it will be doable. And that will drive down development costs.

Now, we're all responding to hyperbole in an initial post. So this is all a bit deep for a doomed thread.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    What is whining?

Is there a legitimate complaint to be made, or is any complaint, opinion, or suggestion considered to be whining?

My suspicion is that when there are genuine problems with content, difficulty, progression, or other issues that discourage most of us, Cryptic does put a focus on them. Pretty much every new update and change, Cryptic pushes beyond the envelope of what the players will accept, and pretty much without fail, Cryptic makes things seem acceptable... at least until the next update. Because Cryptic pushes things way beyond acceptable, when they pull back, it seems as if they really compromised. :cool:

It's where people make rational, sensible, thought out arguments, then some bufoon comes in and starts posting "OMG PWE is EVIL! :( I HATE YOU DEVS! ROLL BACK TO LOR!" (okay, that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea).

Then guess which post the devs will always comment on rather than the sensible ones which might get the community and game actually going somewhere.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Well, the ratio of posts complaining about the whining compared to the actual whining is probably 500 to 1.

If you can't recognize that Cryptic will never, ever listen to the player concerns when there are 100's of posts moaning about how I lost a specialization point or my lazorz do .01% less damage than before the last patch I can't help you.

Seriously, we need some actual feedback for them to be concerned with, not that my tribble doesn't purr when I pet it.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Absolutely, I've been saying that in each of these "whining about whiners" threads. These are the embodiment of unproductive clogging of forum space and always only end up in bickering, smear campaings and flaming. If anything should be in a stupid thing like the FCT, that these qualify with flying colours.
    Unfortunatley, I can't see that happening since these are sucking up to the company and not criticizing it.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, acting like a grown man isn't something I can do, sugar ;)
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Just my 2 cents.

being polite vs. not has made zero difference since beta. Cryptic will work towards Cryptic's goals. They say we're not shouting into a vaccuum but nerf after nerf after nerf suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Just my 2 cents.

Some of us are women, and thus are incapable of behaving "like grown men."

Also, as a natural born American citizen, it is my duty to point out when the powers that be have overstepped their bounds and abuse their authority. In this game, the most obvious example would be all the epic nerfing and simultaneous requirement increases. We have every right to voice our opinions, whether any individual likes it or not. What'd the adage, "if you don't like it leave?" For once I agree with it.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Dude we've got people that openly admitted they want to roll back to the dark days under Atari cuz they're are so consumed with PWE hate they think those days were all sunshine and unicorns.
    That's the problem when you wear nostalgia goggles, it's really difficult to see the truth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I didn't know your ...
    local Starbucks

... has 1000 employees ... these days :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »

Also, as a natural born American citizen, it is my duty to point out when the powers that be have overstepped their bounds and abuse their authority.

I think I just got a nosebleed from that and not a fun one.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Op I'm British and have a right to complain as a British born citizen.

P,s Devs before DR I played at lest 6 days a week, since 4 days week, and the past week 3, I've lost interest in this massive grind.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    Op I'm British and have a right to complain as a British born citizen.

P,s Devs before DR I played at lest 6 days a week, since 4 days week, and the past week 3, I've lost interest in this massive grind.

Actually we are subjects. Sorry couldn't help myself :P

However I do agree I used to play a lot now I just pop on to DOFF and donate to fleet projects on my main characters. Though I am levelling a new character because it is still fun levelling.

I will say with the bonus marks wekend I am rediscovering that the Tholian GBZ is actually fun. I forgot that but with a couple of characters that hadn't done that rep I decided to have a go.

Haven't been near any of the Delta areas since my first visit. Getting 5 marks in the box was to me just a slap in the face.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It was intended as a jab at Pefrect World's stereotypically Chinese business practices.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    What is whining?

Like this?