test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In game Mail

mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Controls and User Interface
This is something that have bothered me for a long time.

If my mailbox in the game becomes full, I have no way of noticing that.
No message on the screen. No System generated mail that warns me.
No icon change. Nothing. The only one that do know, is the one trying to send you a mail.
If person A and person B lives in totally different time zones and doesn't play at the same time it is impossible to keep in touch. As they will not get the mails and /tells only works when both are online.

What I'm suggesting is that instead of a green flashing mail icon we get a red flashing icon when our mailbox is full. Maybe even a counter in the inbox that tells us how many mails we have out of the amount we can have (50/100 or what ever the cap is set at).

This counter should also account for the number of items attached our mail as there is a cap on that as well.

I'm used to speaking to deaf ears so I will not be surprised if this goes unnoticed or if anyone else agrees with me. I can just tell you that today I tried to get in touch with 10 friends 5 of them had full mailboxes. No other way to contact them.

So please try and add some sort of similar feature.
Post edited by mattachine on

Comments

• Options
    nimue555nimue555 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have to agree with this - it is really bad when you can't contact the person AT ALL. Worst if he or she don't know it is impossible to be contacted, do something, PLEASE!
    Am I the only one really annoyed with Cryptic recently?
  • Options
    mycroft1701mycroft1701 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Agree with this also. At the end of the day ingame email shouldn't be so hard to implement basic features like this (sure you're not going to get full email client functionality but still it's not too much to ask for a few basic features!).

Ability to delete more than one email at a time would be helpful too - nothing beats having to open all the exchange notifications and delete them one by one!!
  • Options
    nimue555nimue555 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OH YES - is it possible for all the exchange responses to be put into one mail - I'm selling a lot and when I have to delete 20-30 "Item sold in the exchange" I get to hate mail... I was almost tempted to report it as SPAM, but then realised all unsold items may be lost if I block it...

Honestly - I do not need to know who bought my Tribble carcasses or tribbles or WW food or boxes.

Send me mails only when the exchange sell expired.
    Am I the only one really annoyed with Cryptic recently?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nimue555 wrote: »
    OH YES - is it possible for all the exchange responses to be put into one mail - I'm selling a lot and when I have to delete 20-30 "Item sold in the exchange" I get to hate mail... I was almost tempted to report it as SPAM, but then realised all unsold items may be lost if I block it...

Honestly - I do not need to know who bought my Tribble carcasses or tribbles or WW food or boxes.

Send me mails only when the exchange sell expired.
    Neither of these should clog our mailboxes at all.

The Exchange should have its own log tab that lists recent sales.

And IMO sales shouldn't expire at all. But if they do, there should be a tab on the Exchange for expired sales, too. With a re-list button. It's ridiculous having to go back and forth between a mail and exchange station to relist all the stuff that hasn't been sold.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    You're all right about the exchange mails, who needs to know who they sold to and why did they ever thing that was necessary in the first place?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You may not care to keep track of the sales of tribble carcasses, but when you're dealing with items with prices up to tens or hundreds of millions, you'll want to know when they're sold.

And sales reports undoubtedly reduce the number of "My item has disappeared from the exchange and I haven't noticed any increase in my EC amount, what happened to it" -tickets the GM's have to deal with. ;)

But spamming the reports into the mail is not the right way to do it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    You may not care to keep track of the sales of tribble carcasses, but when you're dealing with items with prices up to tens or hundreds of millions, you'll want to know when they're sold.

And sales reports undoubtedly reduce the number of "My item has disappeared from the exchange and I haven't noticed any increase in my EC amount, what happened to it" -tickets the GM's have to deal with. ;)

But spamming the reports into the mail is not the right way to do it.

The best way to handle that would be if everything relating to the Exchange is accessible through the exchange interface and isn't found in the mail. So that other then /Search/Sell/ we would also have a tab for /Log/ where everything we have sold would be listed. Kind of how the log works for the Fleet Banks.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mattachine wrote: »
    The best way to handle that would be if everything relating to the Exchange is accessible through the exchange interface and isn't found in the mail. So that other then /Search/Sell/ we would also have a tab for /Log/ where everything we have sold would be listed. Kind of how the log works for the Fleet Banks.

Agreed. Ideally all exchange stuff would be in the exchange UI and never spill over into our inboxes. Sale notifications would happen there for tracking purposes, as well as many other UI improvements.

Your first post is also good. There should be a counter showing current/limit for mails and attachments. The red-flashing mail icon is also a brilliant idea. (Welcome to STO, where basic mail management tools from the early 2000s are entirely missing.)

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.