test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No Special Shield? Disappointing.

ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Duty Officer System and R&D
So, I recently hit Level 15 Shields crafting, and what did I get access to? The Aegis set that I had pre-S9.5.

I'm a little disappointed that each crafting school has a "special" item, which is new (as in not the Aegis set that we had before), but Shields doesn't.

Really, after you've crafted one of each of these "specials", what is there to work for? Making them for the exchange doesn't really add up when materials costs are factored in.

We need more things to craft - perhaps for starters "Large" batteries could be added to each appropriate school.
Post edited by ralphgraphite on

Comments

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    An interesting observation. I wish that you could craft stuff that you need for fleet projects since apparently you cannot craft Mark III torpedo launchers, which is a shame. :(
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    ironchefbbqironchefbbq Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    To avoid disappointments in the future do the following:
    1.) Open the R&D dialog.
    2.) In the upper right corner is the Filter drop down.
    3.) Select the Show All to see everything that is included in that school
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I know that shields, engineering, and science all have Aegis components.

Without going back into the game to look, what else do science and engineering have that is "special" (and not Aegis)?

I feel kind of the same way, having two Aegis sets that I made under the old system floating around, but I knew what I was getting into having checked out the trees in advance.

=============

One thing I would really like, though, and it's not just limited to the R&D stuff, is for pistols to get some more love.

The hand phaser is the classic, iconic weapon, not any sort of rifle, and for good reason. In the original series, the only rifle that I recall was seen in a publicity photo and nowhere else. Later on some rifles may have been seen here and there, but they are still a rarity.

Yet when it comes to R&D and the reputation system, it's rifles, rifles, and more rifles.

I know that I can make a phaser pistol, but the "big prize" at the end of the ground weapons school is a rifle.
    The weapons for the set bonuses using the reputation system? All rifles.

Let me have the option to make a pistol that works with the set. Give me a unique R&D level 15 pistol. Maybe even faction specific, so for Fed characters it would be a phaser, for Klingons a disruptor, and for Romulans (of both factions) a plasma pistol.

If nothing else, introduce new sets that use a pistol instead of a rifle so that I could choose to use a pistol set if I found one that I liked.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Science and Engineering have special consoles. I think that the science one boosts the shield and particle gens, the engineering one is an RCS console with other bennies.
  • Options
    ravenbrightravenbright Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2014

The hand phaser is the classic, iconic weapon, not any sort of rifle, and for good reason. In the original series, the only rifle that I recall was seen in a publicity photo and nowhere else. Later on some rifles may have been seen here and there, but they are still a rarity.

I believe the rifles only showed up in the second pilot, "where no man has gone before"
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    swamarian wrote: »
    Science and Engineering have special consoles. I think that the science one boosts the shield and particle gens, the engineering one is an RCS console with other bennies.

^This

Science has the Particle Field Exciter and Engineering has the Conductive RCS. Both are pretty decent consoles.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    To avoid disappointments in the future do the following:
    1.) Open the R&D dialog.
    2.) In the upper right corner is the Filter drop down.
    3.) Select the Show All to see everything that is included in that school

Good to know that there is a way to see the special projects before hitting 15.

Really swell that this was included in the 45 second tutorial that was provided when "new" crafting debuted in S9.5. </sarcasm>

I thank YOU for your help - but really wish Cryptic would get their act together on instructions/tutorials for this game. Too much is undocumented, too much assumes the player knows everything.

This just sort of reinforces my point though - seems every other school has a "new special" thing.

Beams - 360 arrays
    Cannons - Wide cannons
    Projectiles - Hyper plasma torp
    Engineering - Conductive RCS
    Science - Particle Exciter
    Ground - TR-116B

All of which I look forward to crafting. I'm enjoying the Conductive RCS and Particle Exciter I've made so far.

As more helpful feedback (if anyone from the dev team reads this), I think the crafting system would be a good place to flesh out "alternative" weapons and equipment types - piercing tetryon, plasma-disruptor, numiri shields, etc...
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And i still wonder why we have White and Purple Shield R&D Doffs, they cannot even craft AEGIS Shields.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!