test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

critH vs critD

karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
I was under the impression that for pve critH was the place to go, but I just read that critD is the better of the two. what you would want to stack with locators. Any help with this would be appreciated, thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Short answer: Maximize the product of your total crit chance and total crit severity.

Longer answer: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19707561&postcount=4
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thing is there are lots of consoles and abilities that give significant boosts to your CritH, but very few that boost CritD, and those that do boost CritD are proportionally pretty small except for the relevant weapon mod. Therefore, the generally best mix is lots of CritH consoles, then CritD weapons. Not always, but generally.
  • Options
    annahannah Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Was always baffled when people came out and talked about that 1:10 ratio cause it gave the "smoothest curve". The more you have of both the better, curves be damned!.
    Edit:
    Well ok, i can kinda get that if you have a set budget you might wanna strive for that ratio, but if you have 20% crit chance and 200 % severity, you're not gonna lose damage by getting 30% crit and keep the 200% severity. just cause it messes up that 1:!0 ratio.

And like above poster said, Most go for CrtD on weapons and CrtH on consoles. Mostly cause on weapons 2% crit = 20% severity (1 CrtH mod vs 1 CrtD mod). While on the fleet tactical consoles, the Exploiter gives 8% severity while locator gives 1.6% crit chance (basically 1 CrtH mod vs 0.5 CrtD mod).

Theres some pretty nice consoles for boosting CrtH and CrtD tho from lobi store, like elachi console, tach console. And they upgrade really well.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Short answer: Maximize the product of your total crit chance and total crit severity.

Longer answer: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19707561&postcount=4

I understand that over an infinite time period you would be absolutely correct.

I also understand that that isn't how the time periods work inside the game. And you should as well. If you don't, you don't.

Given a fixed amount of points that could be spent on either stat, balancing towards 1:10 will give the most efficient highest DPS possible over time. Also noted as the smoothest.

It's almost moronic to point out that if you have a choice between 300% Crit severity and 10% chance that you should take the severity even if it messes up the ratio. No kidding.

It's definitely moronic to point out that putting skill points into say...oh energy weapons...doesn't result in a smooth 1:10. No kidding. Does that stop anyone? No. Should it? No.

The original 1:10 bit came about when comparing wep mods. That's the ratio on weapons. And it isn't the causation, obviously the underlying math is. It just happens to be very obvious at that point and that happened to be the original discussion. For many players at the time weapon mods were the final point to adjust where they were on the curve.

At that point even you realize that balancing towards 1:10 grants the best results for damage over time. Cause you wrote this...

1. When deciding between an additional [CrtH] modifier and an additional [CrtD] modifier, choose [CrtH] if your current crit severity is more than 10 times your current crit chance, and choose [CrtD] otherwise.

But I can tell you who wrote it first. I'll also point out that at the time the current wisdom was that if you had 12% CritH it meant that 12% of the shots you fired were critical. No really, that was the thought. The two roll hit table seems to baffle people still.

So sure. If someone is going to give you GOBS of one stat you take it. Let's not be too obvious. But given that, once you are no longer getting GOBS of one stat, take the other stat per your own directions.

Peace.
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    karcorner wrote: »
    I was under the impression that for pve critH was the place to go, but I just read that critD is the better of the two. what you would want to stack with locators. Any help with this would be appreciated, thanks.

If you are Romulan, a mix of both. I always use acc/crth/crtd or acc/crth on mine.

If you are fed, stack crtH anyway, and crtD with consoles and embassy boffs. Feds still dont get high enough crit from the new ship traits or upgraded fleet tac consoles and other stuff to make this all of a sudden huge change to crit chance everyone seems to think happened..

i always get critD on my ships from the borg and tachyo consoles, and the elachi console if necessary. As well as any rom boffs. Its usually more than enough.

Other than that, honestly acc/crtH/crtD is great. You still need to hit and crit to benefit from crtD. Id rather average crits on 1 in 3 hits than at that 1 in 4 at a higher amount.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Unwritten rule is consoles for crth, weapons for crtd. Easiest way to maximize the damage potential.
    It might not hit the extreme optimum, but it will be very close to.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think you want to keep them equal, in terms of *actual* %s. They effectively multiply when computing dps.

1.1 (10% crit chance) * 1.1 (10% severity) is 1.21.
    1.2 * 1 = 1.20. the above is higher.

The farther apart they get, the worse this issue becomes.
    1.5 * 1.5 is 2.25
    2.0 * 1.0 is 2.00

and so on.
    So if you are given a choice of increasing both by the same amount, always increase the lowest one (totals... include your base %s and all that).

That is all on-paper though. IN-game you have to work with what is available and the "rules of thumb" mentioned here accomplish this given what we have to work with.