test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The new Star Wars subtitle is here! (and it's a little....ehhh)

moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Ten Forward
Star Wars has unveiled it's subtitle!

Can I say I'm a little....meh....on the idea? I mean, everyone's all excited because The Force Awakens hints that it could mean a whole new generation of Force Users may pop up and some believe it means that we're returning to the "true Force" where the Force is a mystical power and will have a sort of supernatural air to it to oppose the terrible science based Midochlorians. But me, I just don't see the appeal of it. "The Force Awakens" just sounds....weird. I mean when we were speculating we had some pretty cool names for it. "Rise of the Jedi. Return of the Sith. The Saga Continues. The Legacy of Skywalker. Cool epic names like that. But "The Force Awakens", it just doesn't roll off easy. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

But at least it's a better title than "Star Trek Into Darkness". I mean, come on, was adding a colon so hard?

What do you all think?
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
Post edited by moonshadowdark on

Comments

• Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited November 2014
    Considering they changed the name of episode VI from "Revenge of the Jedi" to "Return of the Jedi", I suspect there is wiggle room for a name change on this one, too.

As long as the current title doesn't portend a heavy mystic storyline, I'm fine with it. The Clone Wars animated series did a few late episodes that were mystic-heavy, and, IMHO, they were not among the best.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Considering they changed the name of episode VI from "Revenge of the Jedi" to "Return of the Jedi", I suspect there is wiggle room for a name change on this one, too.

As long as the current title doesn't portend a heavy mystic storyline, I'm fine with it. The Clone Wars animated series did a few late episodes that were mystic-heavy, and, IMHO, they were not among the best.

But the loss of the mystic narrative in the prequels was a big critique. People liked the idea of space magic and it's why, story wise, SWTOR is praised. People love that the Force is an actual force. They love the far seeing. They love the Force Ghosts. They love the Astral projections and body possessions and all that. It's what made Star Wars a Science Fantasy instead of a Science Fiction.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't think it sounds bad. It's unusually vague for a Star Wars movie subtitle though.

What does it mean for the Force to 'awaken'? Was it sleeping? Or is it just a poetic way of saying 'there's a lot of force users now'?

I mean, we know what a phantom menace is. A group of people attacking, or returning, or striking back, or getting revenge is straight forward enough. OK, 'A New Hope' was probably a pretty confusing subtitle considering that it was the first film released; but it's still easy enough to understand as 'things are bad, but now they might get better'.

'The Force Awakens' implies something we don't understand well doing something we don't understand at all. We don't know if it's good or bad; or if it's literal or figurative. It's pretty meaningless (save whatever meaning the movie itself will give it with mystical Jedi babble).

Looking forward to finding out though. :)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the force awakens? that could be translated in several ways.

a force of enemies that were sleeping? maybe those alien cowmen from belsavis are a rampaging horde lead by a sith? a final act of revenge by palpantine to take revenge on the good people of the galaxy?

a previously undiscovered force user unlocks their mary sue powers on the galaxy at the tender age of 16 and shes got a good head to be a jedi? :P

could be anything. see what comes as far as content goes and maybe then it could see a change.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    But the loss of the mystic narrative in the prequels was a big critique. People liked the idea of space magic and it's why, story wise, SWTOR is praised. People love that the Force is an actual force. They love the far seeing. They love the Force Ghosts. They love the Astral projections and body possessions and all that. It's what made Star Wars a Science Fantasy instead of a Science Fiction.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster SCIENCE!!!! :P
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster SCIENCE!!!! :P
    Let's see what Vader thinks of that....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    genesisdvsngenesisdvsn Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

I find your lack of faith disturbing :D
    Official Joining Date Feb 2010.
  • Options
    admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It was all JJ ideas.

He gave the new Star Trek a weird title too... even without the double dot.

I am not surprised by this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the force awakens? that could be translated in several ways.

a force of enemies that were sleeping? maybe those alien cowmen from belsavis are a rampaging horde lead by a sith? a final act of revenge by palpantine to take revenge on the good people of the galaxy?

a previously undiscovered force user unlocks their mary sue powers on the galaxy at the tender age of 16 and shes got a good head to be a jedi? :P

could be anything. see what comes as far as content goes and maybe then it could see a change.

I believe you are referring to the Esh'kha.

It would be very nice of JJ to put some of the species and lore from SWTOR into the movie, though he'd probably trash it.

As for the title, I think it might have something to do with "The Ones". They were killed in that TCW episode which threw the force out of balance so maybe in the movie it will fix itself or something?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well, it's not like the rest of the series has brilliant titles. "The Empire Strikes Back." "The Revenge of the Sith." "Attack of the Clones."
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't hate on SW just because I love ST, but if they're bringing back the original cast I hope modern CGI is up to the task of today's Carrie Fisher. Sorry but she has not aged well. :eek:
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited November 2014
    Well, it's not like the rest of the series has brilliant titles. "The Empire Strikes Back." "The Revenge of the Sith." "Attack of the Clones."

True. I always saw those as a nod to the sci-fi serials of the 1930s to 1950s which served as SW inspiration, such as "The Phantom Empire", Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe" or "Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe" . At least Episode VI wasn't entitled "Giant Slug Mobsters of Tatooine". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tiro100tiro100 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I get the feeling that right before release they will change the title to "Star Wars: Episode VII: We Retconned the Books"
    Playing STO on and off since January 2nd, 2011!
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    why is it that when I read that title I automatically thought Yuuzhan Vong!

God I hope not, please give us the Chiss and Grand Admiral Trawn :)
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,368 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    OK, 'A New Hope' was probably a pretty confusing subtitle considering that it was the first film released...
    FWIW, the subtitle wasn't added until, IIRC, the first Special Edition. I was there for the original, as an impressionable 13-year-old, and I still clearly remember watching those magical words scroll up the screen:
    STAR WARS

It is a period of civil war.
    Rebel spaceships, striking
    from a hidden base...

From Twitter:

Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    Episode VIII: The Force Hits the Snooze Button
    Episode IX: The Force is 30 Minutes Late to Work
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tiro100 wrote: »
    I get the feeling that right before release they will change the title to "Star Wars: Episode VII: We Retconned the Books"
    What books? Oh you mean those things I never read? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What books? Oh you mean those things I never read? :P

Don't knock it -- the ROTS novelization is better than the actual movie.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    I don't hate on SW just because I love ST, but if they're bringing back the original cast I hope modern CGI is up to the task of today's Carrie Fisher. Sorry but she has not aged well. :eek:

I heard* that she will be wearing the golden bikini again ! :eek:

No one stays 25 and sexy, it's an unfortunate side effect of being human. But she has some health things that made her gain a lot of weight or something like that. And she had serious drug problem in the past, not a recipe for eternal youth. :o

*a.k.a. totally made up
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,368 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tiro100 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but shortly before selling Lucasfilm to Disney, George Lucas announced formally that they were no longer regarding the EU as canon. (I think naming a character "Savage Oppress" was what finally pushed it over the brink...)

So there are no books to retcon - their events do not exist in movie continuity.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    (I think naming a character "Savage Oppress" was what finally pushed it over the brink...)

He's still canon. He appeared - and was named - in The Clone Wars, which was never struck from canon.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but shortly before selling Lucasfilm to Disney, George Lucas announced formally that they were no longer regarding the EU as canon. (I think naming a character "Savage Oppress" was what finally pushed it over the brink...)

So there are no books to retcon - their events do not exist in movie continuity.
    Tiro, if you need a way to respond to this information, you might find this useful.

On a side note, isn't decanonizing a form of retconning?
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I don't think TCW is going to be retconned (thank god). I believe they are just doing it to all the books and comics that were written to take place after episode VI. So feel free to make Captain Rex too:).
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg