test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leave Advanced the Way It Was Pre-11/6 Patch

hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Anyone agree with this? I'm not talking about rewards of course, but the HP levels of the critters. I ran a pug last night in ISE in my Mirror T'Varo with primarily Mk XII gear a couple pieces of MK XIII and only died once. Had to really stay on top of my BO powers and even had to disengage at a couple points to recoup.
I enjoyed the challenge and not steam rolling through it in five minutes. I know not everyone may agree but anyone else that does?
Post edited by hausofmartok on

Comments

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    if normal mode had a path to get the extra rep items needed for gear like BNPs, i would say yes leave it alone. but it does not, so no change it back to pre DR. not everybody can handle those mobs and we still have the elite with the massive increases and that was what people were asking for " a nightmare mode" not a complete overhaul of the pre DR content.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Don't die, then move on up to elite!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you couldn't tell by the state of the advanced queues how few people agree with you, then i'll say it now: not a lot XD

But seriously, Advanced wasn't a challenge, it was just a DPS check, or go home N00B!

I don't care if Elite was like that, that's what it's there for. But they advertised that Advanced was going to be basically the same as the old elite, and that wasn;t what we got.
    Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Anyone agree with this? I'm not talking about rewards of course, but the HP levels of the critters. I ran a pug last night in ISE in my Mirror T'Varo with primarily Mk XII gear a couple pieces of MK XIII and only died once. Had to really stay on top of my BO powers and even had to disengage at a couple points to recoup.
    I enjoyed the challenge and not steam rolling through it in five minutes. I know not everyone may agree but anyone else that does?

I definitely agree. Guess it's back to dropping my weapon power as low as it can go and stripping off some of my consoles to make the content challenging again. A shame, I was enjoying using high end gear to its fullest extent for a change.

You know, this nerf was totally a better solution than putting the rep item and R&D rewards in Normal, wasn't it? A mid tier difficulty, what a load of nonsense.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    banatine wrote: »
    If you couldn't tell by the state of the advanced queues how few people agree with you, then i'll say it now: not a lot XD

But seriously, Advanced wasn't a challenge, it was just a DPS check, or go home N00B!

I don't care if Elite was like that, that's what it's there for. But they advertised that Advanced was going to be basically the same as the old elite, and that wasn;t what we got.

pretty much this. The advanced difficulty was way higher than the old elite, though i'd say that a little improvement for the palyerbase as a whole wouldn't have been a bad thing.
    But well, STO is a casual game for casual gamers...nonsense builds and below average player skill is to be expected in a pug and now it is also encouraged again.

Other MMOs kind of guide their playerbase to becoming a more skilled player, STO more or less encourages people to not improve, if they don't want to, and instead just adjust the difficulty so that even a blind man can play the game and have fun.

understandable for a f2p model, since they simply can't afford to loose people because of difficulty.

on the issue of "****ty builds" i have to say that less freedom would be better. BOFF abilities already fixed on a ship would make things much easier for the casual gamer. Fact is, that there are a handfull of BOFF abilities you can't live without, and unfortunately i see too many people running builds without those basic abilities. The results are advanced PUGs where people get bested by a single borg sphere and sometimes even a probe.

If i had a say in content designing i would abolish difficulties completely and instead would design missions with a fair amount of bonus objectives which determine the rewards and i would introduce a tiered reward system based on performance.
    Go pro or go home
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    edited November 2014

There's a difference between a 5 minute steamroll and failing missions.

Personally i have found my build(s) more than sufficient to do the advanced content, but the large majority (I estimate 60-70%) struggles with the advanced content.

This results in many failed missions, frustration amongst players and extended wait for advanced queues (which when started have a fair chance to fail with a PUG).

A small reduction in shields and HP may be just what the community needs to relearn these queues and give them time to upgrade their gear.

Would not be opposed to stealthily increasing the HP in these queues over the next 3-4 months, but as it was most players were outclassed by the advanced content.

Add to that the fact that normal is extremely easy and doesn't prepare players for the next difficulty and there's an unwanted situation.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Its not about dying or staying alive in those matches. it was about players not being able to complete the match due to not putting out enough DPS to kill mobs,

thus either running out of time, or failing the optional, In ISA a generator was blown up too early and they couldn't kill the transformer before being swarmed by nanite spheres and could not kill them to progress to the other side. Or CSA killing a cube and not being able to protect kang for going up in flames (This was a pre-DR issue anyway) or KASA not being able to stop probes getting through the portal as they couldn't kill them,

The new advanced needed a change as it also was forcing people into a primary dps role. Sci healer, Eng tanks had no role, despite the idea of higher hp was to allow for a sci to debuff/heal team members or a eng to take aggro whilst the team wore down the NPC.

Problem is a fully specced out Eng in a cruiser using threat increasing consoles, Specced in Skill tree and using cruiser commands still cannot command the full aggro of NPC's against a high DPS ship with none of those consoles/skills specced.

Mechanics of the game are broken which is why when Delta Rising launched certain ships even with T5U upgrade became obsolete.
    "Cough cough" the poor old Galaxy Class springs 1st to mind. followed hot on the heels by the Intrepid.

Both ships are too Eng/Sci focused to bring into end game content where DPS is king and finishing a mission requires killing the map within a time limit.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think very FEW people agree with this, OP. "Advanced" is no such thing, and has effectively broken the game, along with all the gimped/stolen rewards, the gated features which depend upon advanced or elite completion of missions, and many other factors. The way in which Cryptic have blatantly lied about their intentions was only the icing on the top. The real kicker is in how they continue to kill the game. Reverting to pre-DR levels would be a good start, but it's too little and too late right now.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    [...]the HP levels of the critters. I ran a pug [...] only died once.
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see the relation between critter HP and you not dying. They just stay alive longer, doesn't mean they kill you faster/easier.
    I can tank Mirror Universe event advanced mob all day. Increasing their hp will not make me die.

Anyway, it was stated that advanced are for the most of us (normal is for everyone), and elite is for... the elite. Feel you are part of the elite ? Play elite.
    In my mind, normal mean everyone, including this guy who wonder what power level mean, and barely reach 5K DPS. Advanced is more or less the old elite, at least that's what they said, which mean average 10K dps players. And elite for the DPS XX channel people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    You know, I actually agree with everything you said there questerius. Falling into the habits of the people I complain about, only thinking of myself. For the time being, this change might be good for the overall health of the game.

My fear, though, is that down the road, they won't increase Advanced's difficulty at all because of this experience. The specializations are a completely broken level of power, they're going to make Advanced easier than the old Elite.

-edit-

No place for anything but DPS in Advanced? What a load, play with a good team.
  • admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Edit: nevermind...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nope dont agree even though i have characters that can do the advanced its only because they are geared up in all rep gear and they probably should do elite soon.

normal only offers you a look at the mechanics of the thing but offers no rewards to allow a player to advance and since those processors for borg etc are not awarded anywhere but in the advanced q's to my knowledge and the r & d stuff only starts to actually offer any meaningful reward in the advanced then they need to leave this avenue open to partially geared players trying to gear up completely to do elite.

I have one new level 50 guy who if i was not feeding him purples from my reward drops from things like crystaline entity first place or anything i win on advanced or elite on my fully gear guys would have no way to progress as things presently are. I know I tried he can do the battle zones but no q's that reward any materials you might be actualy needing to gear up. So if you have players who exist solely on q content (and there are many people out there who hate the battlezones) then they would have no way to progress if they were new characters.

The elite is for people who need a challenge and if you look they are by the looks of it adding elites in batches so that eventually there will be 3 levels for everything. Anyone looking for the 'real challenge' can do elite there is no reason to make advanced as difficult as elite (it makes no sense really if i were someone who could do an elite why would I bother with an advanced? and I have 1 guy who can do the elites now and one almost ready to do them and 2 who are unable to get out of the normal q's and are completely locked out of advanced which is illogical ..)

your looking at this from the perspective as someone who already had the progression in place i would suggest you turn to the elite q's as they are .. just as hard as the advanced (the few I tried there was little to no difference between them and advanced so move to elite)
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited November 2014

You do realize that's what the previous elite queues were like for a lot of people, right? That's what the current advanced queues are supposed to be, with the new elite supposed to be for people who "want a bigger challenge" full of massively overinflated HP amounts and stupid damage output that you can't face without 1337 gear. Instead we got required optionals and idiotically high HP amounts in the new advanced to cater to the small min-maxer population that skews cryptic's metrics, and new elite queues that most people can't even put a dent in, including a lot of the min-maxers, so they stick to the new advanced which is what the new ELITE should be.

If people want to min-max then they shouldn't have any challenge unless they rein THEMSELVES in. Cryptic needs to stop catering to the min-maxers and TRIBBLE things up for the players who want to be able to experiment with different builds for fun instead of constantly being shoehorned into "MOAR DPS" builds just to be able to complete normal difficulty space combat story missions without falling asleep out of boredom because it takes so long to kill anything.
  • deathstalker89deathstalker89 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well there is 3 version of most mission if one is to easy go to the next level up. Don't make everyone suffer because you bought your top end gear everyone cant afford it. Remember there is normal missions, advance missions, and elite mission if you only want one difficulty level why has the game got 3.

Use your brain if you got one!
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see the relation between critter HP and you not dying. They just stay alive longer, doesn't mean they kill you faster/easier.
    I can tank Mirror Universe event advanced mob all day. Increasing their hp will not make me die.

Anyway, it was stated that advanced are for the most of us (normal is for everyone), and elite is for... the elite. Feel you are part of the elite ? Play elite.
    In my mind, normal mean everyone, including this guy who wonder what power level mean, and barely reach 5K DPS. Advanced is more or less the old elite, at least that's what they said, which mean average 10K dps players. And elite for the DPS XX channel people.

If the critter is staying alive longer, you are engaged in battle with it longer, thus increasing the chance it kills you or does more dmg to you, no? Me dying or not dying, that statement in this forum is flame/troll bait I know, not 100% relevant to other people's game, just something I'm mentioning considering I was in a crappy mirror ship with Mk XII gear...
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I definitely agree. Guess it's back to dropping my weapon power as low as it can go and stripping off some of my consoles to make the content challenging again. A shame, I was enjoying using high end gear to its fullest extent for a change.

You know, this nerf was totally a better solution than putting the rep item and R&D rewards in Normal, wasn't it? A mid tier difficulty, what a load of nonsense.

That's why there is an untouched Elite mode, made just for you. :eek:
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Don't die, then move on up to elite!

:D That's the plan, man. It's nice having something to work up to. Once I get my stuff upgraded, and confident I can do the DPS needed, I'll bump it up to Elite.
    edited November 2014
    Well there is 3 version of most mission if one is to easy go to the next level up. Don't make everyone suffer because you bought your top end gear everyone cant afford it. Remember there is normal missions, advance missions, and elite mission if you only want one difficulty level why has the game got 3.

Use your brain if you got one!

Advanced is supposed to be a mid tier difficulty. Every time they nerf it, they widen the gap between it and Elite. This means that being good at Advanced is no indication that you'll even be able to put a dent in Elite.

The solution isn't to make the mid tier closer to the low tier than the high tier. It's to give better rewards on Normal for the players who won't/can't put the time and effort into improving their builds. They should've just put old Elite's rewards into the new Normal.

-edit-
    aoax10 wrote: »
    That's why there is an untouched Elite mode, made just for you. :eek:

Not ready for it yet. Shocking, the mid tier difficulty was serving its purpose?!
  • hypnosnakehypnosnake Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The long and short of this is simple...

You don't get anywhere by catering to the tiny subset of people who have maxed out their ship to the point of being able to slaughter anything and everything, then make it so that all the content panders to that particular group. It's called a bad business decision.

The vast majority of people prefer to just play a game rather than try to conquer it. Lowering the Advanced difficulty is a positive thing and I couldn't support it more than I do.

Elite is for the top people who have maxed everything out. Advanced is for people who have gone past normal, but aren't amongst the group that are much like car tweakers, getting every hint of horsepower and torque out of their ride.

Cryptic has realized that through their metrics and community commentary and are, simply put, doing the correct thing.
  • xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    If i had a say in content designing i would abolish difficulties completely and instead would design missions with a fair amount of bonus objectives which determine the rewards and i would introduce a tiered reward system based on performance.

What about the injury system?
    Get rid of that in your ideal design, and I'm on board.
    That time-killing, resource-bleeding non-sense is the single reason I quit NW, GW2, and WoW.
    I don't mind a challenge, but raising the challenge because I couldn't handle it before is just needless torture.
    I thought this was supposed to be a game, not an exercise in futility.
    Some players will never learn how to handle the tougher content if it gets harder every time they die because they don't have enough EC to buy heal-kits OR enough time to run all of the way across the galaxy to a Sickbay/Shipyard & back only to start the entire map from the beginning, and further perpetuate the insanity.

Seriously.
    The only reason I play a lot of stuff on Normal is because I simply do not have the time or EC to spend 2 hours in one mission for a measly 708-1.3k XP.
    So, if you take away the difficulty choice, then you may as well roll it back to when there was no such thing as injuries as well.
    Otherwise, a lot of casual players will just give-up, and there will be no one left playing except hardcore elitists, demanding everything be made harder with every single patch....kind like now, but with no opposition, and little enjoyment for the casual players with some money to blow on a quick cash-grab.
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • deathstalker89deathstalker89 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Advanced is supposed to be a mid tier difficulty. Every time they nerf it, they widen the gap between it and Elite. This means that being good at Advanced is no indication that you'll even be able to put a dent in Elite.

The solution isn't to make the mid tier closer to the low tier than the high tier. It's to give better rewards on Normal for the players who won't/can't put the time and effort into improving their builds. They should've just put old Elite's rewards into the new Normal.

-edit-

Not ready for it yet. Shocking, the mid tier difficulty was serving its purpose?!

Now you see how the rest of us feel
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2014

-edit-

id agree with this also if not for the fact of the added reputation items like the BNPs. but as it stands now they really need more than 3 lvls because its a quite a jump from normal. advanced elite.

normal, advanced, hard, elite and then true nightmare mode would be better LOL just joking.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    YES we should totally lock new players out of advanced permanently. I mean if they cant complete advanced they wont be able to get the gear needed to play advanced then high end players such as yourself wont have to worry about crappy players in pugs. That's definitely the best way to ensure the game stays alive
    343rguu.jpg

edited November 2014
    Now you see how the rest of us feel

No, I really don't, because I'd never be demanding the devs make Elite easier because I'm not ready for it. If you didn't catch it, I'm arguing for you. You should be getting better rewards for playing the difficulty you can handle, and I should be getting challenged by the difficulty I can handle. Everyone wins that way.
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    :D That's the plan, man. It's nice having something to work up to. Once I get my stuff upgraded, and confident I can do the DPS needed, I'll bump it up to Elite.

I think you will find your ready for it now.... there are pugs for them but I am finding that the people in the pugs are more competent and for the most part pull their weight. The advanced is for those who are for whatever reason unable to cope with elite (and there are many reasons including physical disability)
    edited November 2014
    zero2362 wrote: »
    YES we should totally lock new players out of advanced permanently. I mean if they cant complete advanced they wont be able to get the gear needed to play advanced then high end players such as yourself wont have to worry about crappy players in pugs. That's definitely the best way to ensure the game stays alive

I kinda like this.
    How about locking people out of the Advanced version of a PvE queue until they've completed the Normal version a set amount of times, and then locking players out of Elite version of a PvE queue until they've done so in the Advanced version?

I mean, Lieutenants can't play Admiral-level content.
    So why not just extend that concept into the queues as well, and actually alleviate this conflict a bit more efficiently?

OR how about a new Rep system which will keep track of this by requiring inputs only obtained by beating a certain difficulty of PvE queues?
    Once you've reached Tier 1 in that Rep by actually winning the Normal PvE queues, and submitting the proper inputs, you'd be able to play the Advanced versions, and so on.
    This is what I thought the Rep system was going to be like, but it instead turned out to be just a grind-fest for better gear.
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pre 11/6, you mean leave them cold and deserted? No thanks.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • nikki191nikki191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the simplest solution that should satisfy everyone is to add a new difficulty level.

basically have a normal and advanced level like they used to be, with the special drops you need for the reputation system dropping in advanced.

but also have the new advanced and elite level difficulties for those who want the challenge.

so we have normal, advanced, uber advanced and stupid difficulty levels
  • darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nikki191 wrote: »
    the simplest solution that should satisfy everyone is to add a new difficulty level.

basically have a normal and advanced level like they used to be, with the special drops you need for the reputation system dropping in advanced.

but also have the new advanced and elite level difficulties for those who want the challenge.

This or just add the bnp/other rep items to normals and call it good.

From what i have heard from the test server the new nerfed advanced queues are not pretty much the same as normals.
    edited November 2014
    nikki191 wrote: »

OR Easy, Normal, Advanced, Elite?
    Post-DR Normal would remain.
    Old Normal would be the new Easy,
    Advanced would be straightened out.
    Elite is pretty much fine where it is.
    Maybe later...add a Super Elite...MAYBE?