test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How did they get the Galaxy Map so wrong?

carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
While I really love the new visuals on the maps, which make places looks so much more distinctive, I've amazed at the mess they've made of the galaxy empire positions. I've noticed the entire Federation is in the Beta Quadrant in STO. How did a mistake like this get through? Its basic Trek canon and something that's been beat over viewers heads, particularly in DS9 and Voyager.

The Cardassians are basically the only established power in the Alpha Quadrant now according to STO. I can accept if part of the Federation spills into the Beta maps (this is actually true) but the majority of the UFP should all be in Alpha.

Such a sloppy mistake, I'm amazed it made it through.
Post edited by carlosbfly on

Comments

• Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well everything accessible in STO is in the Beta Quadrant ... like Andoria, Vulcan, Risa, Regulus etc ... the other stuff like Trill, Betazed, Tellar which is in the Alpha Quadrant is just "not there yet" ... and tbh "not that important"

http://www.sttff.net/images/AST030.jpg

-> The Map is accurate ... there is just lots of stuff missing ...

PS : Some of the Alpha Quadrant is Borg occupied now ... (near Mutara Nebula = Gamma Orionis)
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    lawstanzlawstanz Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Because not all of Federation space is playable. There''s talk of adding at least 1 sector block's worth of Alpha quadrant Federation space that would include planets like Betazed and Trill.
  • Options
    graysockgraysock Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Because they didn't make a mistake, most of what is playable/accessible is in the beta quadrant, hell most of the shows episodes play in the beta quadrant.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'd like to see Betazed added if only so my main can go park in orbit of her home planet.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I know Earth was always supposed to be on edge of the border between Alpha and Beta but are all those other planets also Beta? I dunno, it just looks really weird considering the Federation is always 'Alpha Quadrant'. You think Federation think Alpha Quadrant.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    but are all those other planets also Beta?

The ones we got ... -> yes ... well except Bajor etc ...

just google "Star Trek Map" (you'll find a common theme)
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The problem isn't really with the game, it's with DS9 (and Voyager).

DS9 always talked about the "Alpha Quadrant" even though the majority of the Federation has always been in the Beta Quad.

Voyager always talked about getting home to "Alpha" but home is really mostly in Beta (and Beta is closer to Delta than Alpha anyway.

Anyway, like someone else said, most of the playable space is Beta because most of the iconic planets are in the Beta Quad. I too would like to see them add Trill and Betazoid though.
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I never knew any of this. Pretty cool.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There is also the issue of the map being flat. If you get a game or program that shows you the star trek galaxy in 3-D is also makes more sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Earth is in the Alpha Quadrant, but just. Now the colour scheme is that way for 'tour the galaxy'. If you look closer at the sector maps, you'd notice the feds occupy half of Eta, Centuri, Psi Veroum and 1/3 of Pi Canis with a little presence in Taw Dewa. Then in the Alpha Quadrant, over half of Beta Ursura and a good chunk of Alpha Triginai are also Federation. The federation is about twice the size as portrayed on the galactic map.

If we were to introduce the new sectors, I wouldn't be surprised (if they can) if the developers moved Sol into the Alpha Quadrant proper. But they might not if it's too complicated.

When they said "return to the Alpha Quadrant" they mean return to Earth. Earth is Alpha, but the other founders are Beta. I don't know about the expanse, but all of the rest of Enterprise was in the Beta Quadrant.

Enterprise D was patrolling the rim of the Federation, so it was going in one big circle. The Klingon empire is a long way from Cardassia and they have to pass through Federation territory. The Klingons are weeks away from DS9. That's why the Federation took so much loss during the Dominion war, they were the only one of the big three directly on Cardassian borders. The Romulans aren't too far and the Klingons are a long way. The front was huge and DS9 wasn't far from Cardassia, yet the border was heavily fortified in that area, probably from the previous wars, so it was easier to smash their way core-ward toward Earth than to go after Bajor and the bulk of the Klingon Fleets. If I was alliance commander, I'd had deployed the bulk of the Klingons in the Bajoran sector with the bulk of the Federation fleets closer to the core. I'm actually curious to see how close the Romulan and Cardassian borders are.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Alpha quadrant actually has the most unexplored space