test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Captain's Table

aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
So I went to the Captain's Table for the first time in four years. I did so since I saw it advertised on the launcher. Silly me I thought something was finally done with it. Yet once I got there nothing seemed different than I remember. Sad really....

It has so much potential and could be a driving perk for people to step up and get the LtS if only something was done and getting to it was not so cumbersome.... :(

What do people think it really needs to be attractive and worthy of the cost if this F2P game? :eek:
If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
ingame: @.Spartan
Romulan_Republic_logo.png
Former Alpha & Beta Tester
Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
Post edited by aspartan1 on

Comments

• Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wish all the fleet vendors, all the special duty officer npc's with missions were there.

All the game's vendors, everything easily accessible.

But! Link the captains table zone chat with esd chat. (and kdf equivalent).

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    I wish all the fleet vendors, all the special duty officer npc's with missions were there.

Yup.. + the possibility to transwarp to there (list) and from there (gate).
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I visited the place like... twice, since I've got my LTS (approx a year ago, month after I started playing STO), and there's just no incentive to go in there... if I want some solitude from the busy social zones, or place to AFK at, I either go to the bridge (AFK) or the fleet facilities, for Exchange/Tailor/Bank/Mail, which can be quite solitary too...
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Link it up to ESB zone chat? Only if the Tailor there is giving away free, Lifer-only tinfoil hats to wear when returning to the Troll Zone known as Earth Starbase :cool:
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not a subscriber so I have no access to the place anyway, but it has always seemed to me that it's biggest problem was that to get to it you had to first go through a map that would give you access to pretty much every thing that's that you would find there.

If they made it so you could transwarp there then I think it would see a lot more traffic.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

ummm no... in fact - HECK NO!!!!!

The only point in visiting it now is to avoid all the fools in those chats to begin with. There have been times when all 8 of alts were there at the same time, so i can grind their rep points in peace.

and OP, the devs did have a "wishlist" thread for us on changes we would like to see there as part of their efforts to make lifetime subs more attractive a few months back. changes should be coming, but haven't hit yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It was a lot more functional when the ship selector was still there. Not sure why they took that away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It was a lot more functional when the ship selector was still there. Not sure why they took that away.

^^^ THIS!

The place needs to have access to all of the facilities that are aboard ESD or on Qo'noS. Ship selectors, Boff trainers, the vendors....the whole pack. Only then it could be properly utilized by lifers and veterans. As it stands, you can do some stuff there and escape to peace from the trash that is zonechat, but then have to go back to a central hub to complete other things. This makes it redundant.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There's a whole bunch of ways to make the location more ... desirable.

1) Relocate all Veteran Rewards there; Veteran Boffs (inc Android)

2) Have a special Shipyard Contact there (players would need to talk to him in order to acquire their Veteran Ship)

3) As already mentioned, take the location out of Earth/Qo'nos and have it as 'Warp Too' without a cooldown

4) Input a daily there which rewards a small amount of dilithium and your choice of marks (I'm talking minimal amounts, but enough that people would travel their on a daily basis)

5) Rotate interactive guest characters; one day you'll go there and you'll be able to interact with Neelix (visiting), another day it might be Tuvok, another day it might be Worf, another day it might be Captain Shon (etc)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm not a subscriber so I have no access to the place anyway, but it has always seemed to me that it's biggest problem was that to get to it you had to first go through a map that would give you access to pretty much every thing that's that you would find there.

If they made it so you could transwarp there then I think it would see a lot more traffic.
    It is so anticlimactic it is not even funny. When it went live we were lead to believe it would be developed over time with special things read as "quality of life" perks and yet the revamped ESD is more convenient - go figure...

Nearly everyone here year one thought it should have all special vendors as well as normal ones conveniently located there as well as special missions and BO offerings and other things currently handled by fully developed T5 fleet holdings and of access to every DO mission available. {If anyone from Cryptic is reading this please take a minute and consider this elegant idea}

Furthermore, one idea I suggested, and really liked obviously, was a game currency conversion vendor. You see at the time we had lots of different game money and one could not do any trading with it; just like now sadly. I figured that alone would be worth the price of admission for many people but clearly Cryptic thought/things otherwise.

Of course now that we all have the asinine rank of Admiral and Fleet Admiral it should maybe renamed methinks. The rank thing is my biggest peeve about the leadership of this title. Star Trek has ALWAYS been about the captain(s). Ergo any rank above Captain should be community based fleet ranks in my not so humble opinion. Hell I can even see the rank of Commodore being earned after maxing out all character levels but I digress.....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    flash525 wrote: »

2) Have a special Shipyard Contact there (players would need to talk to him in order to acquire their Veteran Ship)

3) As already mentioned, take the location out of Earth/Qo'nos and have it as 'Warp Too' without a cooldown

4) Input a daily there which rewards a small amount of dilithium and your choice of marks (I'm talking minimal amounts, but enough that people would travel their on a daily basis)

5) Rotate interactive guest characters; one day you'll go there and you'll be able to interact with Neelix (visiting), another day it might be Tuvok, another day it might be Worf, another day it might be Captain Shon (etc)

These are great ideas. This along with having access to all the other facilities would make the place worth visiting. I went there a week or two ago and thought exactly the same as the op, had not changed even a little in three years. There is literally no reason to go there whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    flash525 wrote: »

Those ideas coupled with it serving as a fully functional T5 fleet service asset (star base, spire, embassy, mining facility) without being a fleet and even having a veteran dilithium processor there for an extra thousand a day would rock hard and I think be a major selling point for people especially new players the primary target methinks.

Furthermore it is would also be nice to have a lobi store vendor there with a perma sell price for none sell-able items.

Finally for me at least a currency conversion at say 2/1 ratio would be a big huge attraction for sure.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the thing i always hoped to see was the ability to transwarp from anywhere to The Captain's Table and then the option to exit into any sector of your choosing, this would make it like a virtual universal transwarp hub for lifers.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    the thing i always hoped to see was the ability to transwarp from anywhere to The Captain's Table and then the option to exit into any sector of your choosing, this would make it like a virtual universal transwarp hub for lifers.

You, me and everyone else I have ever know in game whom has a LtS account.

[loathing the super asinine 300 seconds posting time-gate delay]
  • Options
    josan369josan369 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You know, now that I think of it... I don't think I've ever been to The Captain's Table. Is it even worth it to look around? Or should I just avoid it altogether?
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    josan369 wrote: »
    You know, now that I think of it... I don't think I've ever been to The Captain's Table. Is it even worth it to look around? Or should I just avoid it altogether?

As it has been mentioned by others, there's no point in goin there. Alot of npcs you'd want in a social hub like ESD are simply missing and besides the few that are there it's empty rooms with a few non interactable NPCs.

To give you a concrete answer: don't bother, it's not worth your time.
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I've been there 4 times in the four years I've been playing. You're not missing anything.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014

For sight-seeing, it's okay. But it serves no purpose.

Unfortunately, it's a "feature" of the Veteran rewards and the Lifetime Subscription, so Cryptic can't remove it. And it's just a poor investment expanding it in any form, since so few players could use it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    So I went to the Captain's Table for the first time in four years. I did so since I saw it advertised on the launcher. Silly me I thought something was finally done with it. Yet once I got there nothing seemed different than I remember. Sad really....

It has so much potential and could be a driving perk for people to step up and get the LtS if only something was done and getting to it was not so cumbersome.... :(

So true!

I love that poster's sig:

Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.

LOL.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Full set of vendors (inc fleet) doof mission givers, and other support staff (eg ship repair + doctor)

all the veteran reward contacts

the mission contacts who are there working as themselves

Q or the ilk when there is a Event putting them on ESD/Qo'nos/New Rom

fleet mark turn in, equivalent to 40% normal value of fleddits

unlimited transwarp power + free mission transwarp while in the nebula

rotating rare goods sellers, selling bind to toon/account things like civi outfit pieces, old mission items or rewards (eg. Harg'peng device) changing once a month/fortnight

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Indeed!

It was supposed to be receiving some attention. At least, there was a thread a while back asking what we'd like to see added to it. Don't know if this is still in the pipeline.

And that new club at ESD is still in the pipeline too. :) Cryptic should adopt a new slogan:

"What happens in the pipeline, stays in the pipeline!"

:P

Seriously, Captain's Table could use a serious overhaul.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I will make a new thread later with a wish list of things for the CT. I believe I have a solid handle of what people want for it at this point. Oddly the demand seems to have not changed much in years. I wonder if Cryptic even pays attention.... :confused:
  • Options
    captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Want everybody to go LtS? just let the captains table have a console that allows GPL converted to lobi ;) then gpl will have a function and the captains table will be visited a lot!
  • Options
    z69evermoonz69evermoon Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Right now the Captains table is a waste of time. Cool to visit. But no real purpose in game.

If it had a updated Dilith and energy credit store a lobi merchant. Regular meetings of lifetime and vet players.

Or special lifetime subscriber PVE missions then it would worth the $199 you shell out for access.
    Right now it is below the current standards for content.

You can add.
    Wolf 359
    Vulcan
    Risa
    Andoria
    Bajor
    Delfarie system

All these areas need to be revamped with special race specific ships and weapons. So if your a Vulcan you can get a vulcan phaser rifle or pistol and have access to Vulcan specific ships.

Wolf 359 Could allow you to salvage a Old named star ship for Dilth

Bajor could have weapons and ships specific to the race.

Right now you cant even sit at the Captains table.
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Lets just cut to the chase on this, it is a waste of assets that has NEVER been updated nor is their any point to it. If they wanted to update something that is empty, they could use people that use the foundry system, i know that is a hard concept for Cryptic to understand.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Right now the Captains table is a waste of time. Cool to visit. But no real purpose in game.

If it had a updated Dilith and energy credit store a lobi merchant. Regular meetings of lifetime and vet players.

Or special lifetime subscriber PVE missions then it would worth the $199 you shell out for access.
    Right now it is below the current standards for content.

You can add.
    Wolf 359
    Vulcan
    Risa
    Andoria
    Bajor
    Delfarie system

All these areas need to be revamped with special race specific ships and weapons. So if your a Vulcan you can get a vulcan phaser rifle or pistol and have access to Vulcan specific ships.

Wolf 359 Could allow you to salvage a Old named star ship for Dilth

Bajor could have weapons and ships specific to the race.

Right now you cant even sit at the Captains table.

You are making way to much sense, we cant have that around here. Sarcasm alert of course.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Says it all really.

No doubt right, the person you quoted stated it nicely.
  • Options
    shadokittyshadokitty Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    While not a lifer, I've got vet time enough to be able to go there, and I've still never been there.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well Lifers get playable Talaxians these days :P ... so I'd consider something useful, like Captains Table Revamp pretty unrealistic ... sadly ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.