test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So what ever happened to the revamped Fleet Garumba?

kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Didn't Cryptic say that there would be a fleet version of the ship?

Was going to upgrade to fleet then Fleet T5-U... but no fleet version :mad:
Post edited by kelshando on

Comments

• norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    heh, did they happen to mention a timeframe? I thought not .... soon(tm)... or never...
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    heh, did they happen to mention a timeframe? I thought not .... soon(tm)... or never...

I think they said before the expansion... I could be mistaken on the time frame but that's what I thought they said
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    The fleet Garumba isn't happening, and they said as much in a recent podcast. Each ship that gets a refit is based upon older code, and apparently the time it would take to update and make a new version doesn't justify the effort.

Simple translation - we wouldn't sell enough to dedicate 2 weeks of development and 2 weeks of testing.

I'd love one. Shame really.
    edited October 2014
    The fleet Garumba isn't happening, and they said as much in a recent podcast. Each ship that gets a refit is based upon older code, and apparently the time it would take to update and make a new version doesn't justify the effort.

Simple translation - we wouldn't sell enough to dedicate 2 weeks of development and 2 weeks of testing.

Well guess no money from me.. it was the only fleet level ship I wanted.. but I think there reason BS. It can be upgraded to a T-5U.. make no sense that you cant upgrade it to a Fleet T-5U
  • sulfrustriplesulfrustriple Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I took the podcast quote to be that they it would take a lot of effort dealing with the old code, since Delta Rising was changing the code branch. This would cause them to have to do the work twice. I believe I heard them say that once things were on the same code branch, it would be "easy" to make a fleet version of Guramba and other ships.

If there is a transcription of the podcast, it could be helpful to clarify. I'm disappointed a Fleet Guramba hasn't been offered, but I haven't heard anything that led me to believe it can't/won't be done.

Always willing to stand corrected.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I took the podcast quote to be that they it would take a lot of effort dealing with the old code, since Delta Rising was changing the code branch. This would cause them to have to do the work twice. I believe I heard them say that once things were on the same code branch, it would be "easy" to make a fleet version of Guramba and other ships.

If there is a transcription of the podcast, it could be helpful to clarify. I'm disappointed a Fleet Guramba hasn't been offered, but I haven't heard anything that led me to believe it can't/won't be done.

Nonsense! A playable Guramba is already ingame! It's not like they had to make a ship from scratch. It's not like they have to make a new model. It's not like they had to make a Siege Mode model along with transformation. It's not like Lance Weapons don't exist in STO. It's not like the Disruptor Lance doesn't exist on an existing Guramba already!

The real issue is this: It's not a Fed ship.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014

I heard the same, but had a different take away. In any case, it's one of my favourite ships.

But I have list of bugs an arm long which is making several of my toons unplayable. I lean to them solving the playable issues first.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hrmm, if it's the podcast I'm thinking of - I took it as them doing that work before the launch of Delta Rising because it would require that double work, doing it then and then updating it for DR. With DR having launched, the work already having been done for the Guramba - there would not be the extra work required as there would have been previously.

Wasn't it the podcast where they mentioned they were going to be facing the double work from what they did with the Galaxy and not wanting to repeat that?

So in essence, with DR having launched - the Guramba, Marauder, and D'Kyr should all be in a position for a Fleet variant without that extra work being an issue, eh? They're the only three T5 Zen boats without a Fleet variant (some Zen boats are already Fleet level).
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My guess is that their current plan is as follows:

1. Release T6 fleet versions of all T5 and T6 C-Store, lockbox, and Lobi ships.
    2. The T6 fleet lockbox and Lobi ships will be available only to characters who own the corresponding non-fleet version.
    3. The current T5 fleet ships will no longer be available.

I don't think Cryptic will release new T5 and T5-U fleet ships. It seems like a waste of effort.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited November 2014
    They would be just better off making all zen ships or at least 2000zen ships that do not have a fleet version auto upgraded to Fleet T-5u.. Maybe as a gesture to the people that bought it and never got to use a Fleet version pre Delta Rising.
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Nonsense! A playable Guramba is already ingame! It's not like they had to make a ship from scratch. It's not like they have to make a new model. It's not like they had to make a Siege Mode model along with transformation. It's not like Lance Weapons don't exist in STO. It's not like the Disruptor Lance doesn't exist on an existing Guramba already!

The real issue is this: It's not a Fed ship.

You know what? That might actually be it. They don't really dedicate anything to KDF ship development. Otherwise, we would also have the other nearly a dozen missing fleet ships available, whose models are already in the game.

I once asked a dev about the status on the whole Negh'Var refit thing that has been going on for a while. Since he couldn't tell me anything and since DR didn't bring one, I gave up on that hope as well and fly the regular fleet version now.

Seems to be way of the KDF. Try to do more with less.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kelshando wrote: »
    Well guess no money from me.. it was the only fleet level ship I wanted.. but I think there reason BS. It can be upgraded to a T-5U.. make no sense that you cant upgrade it to a Fleet T-5U
    Me too.... I've been waiting for it for so long. Hell I'm even saving my token for it for my KDF toons. Sad really.... :(
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè