test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Briefing room for cooperative PvE queques

wildeye042wildeye042 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
Might a suggest a briefing room for PvE queues rather than just dropping everyone into the map (even with start timers). That way everyone can actually read or listen to necessary briefings and, more importantly, assign roles and communicate with each other over any necessary strategy. While the briefings are unnecessary after the first few playthroughs, a chance to decide on a strategy and roles would be helpful, especially if maps are supposed to be more challenging and rely on greater teamwork.

On normal difficulty maps, everyone can probably get by just winging it (the default behavior); on elite maps, you are probably going to need Fleet level support and communication anyway; on advanced maps, however, many players, both casual and not, are still pugging and a briefing room would increase the chance for a successful mission and provide a much needed opportunity for some actual teamwork.

It used to be that you could semi-rely on everyone killing things fast enough to not need teamwork (and, therefore, need a pre-mission briefing room) but that seems to be less the case after the reworking of the difficulty levels.
Post edited by wildeye042 on

Comments

• Options
    xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thats what the first 1min timer is for right at the beginning. Just esc out of the cutscene.
  • Options
    clooney002clooney002 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thats a good idea, and just like other good ideas here lately..dont hold your breath.
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Undine Infiltration had more or less this exact mechanic in the opening of the mission. Tuvok would talk, then you'd have the opportunity to discuss tactics and read the briefings for about 30-45 seconds before the forcefield dropped. At the start of DR (when it was pretty bug-ridden), it had been removed. Haven't been back in today to play to see if it was back or not.

I thought it was a good idea - but I'd imagine alot of people thought it was a waste of time. Personally, I'd like it in play - for all content now that Advanced is so hard.

But as others say, I wouldn't hold my breath - and my opinion may not be the majority.
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wildeye042 wrote: »
    Might a suggest a briefing room for PvE queues rather than just dropping everyone into the map (even with start timers). That way everyone can actually read or listen to necessary briefings and, more importantly, assign roles and communicate with each other over any necessary strategy.

I have to say that is a surprisingly really good idea.

They could either implement it for the basic ones or make a checkbox for people who want to (or are willing) to go to a briefing room.

Of course, we'd need people to actually start using the PvE queues again first. xD

xparr15 wrote: »
    Thats what the first 1min timer is for right at the beginning. Just esc out of the cutscene.

And yet no one ever speaks...ever...like not once in the hundreds of STFs I've been in.

Okay, maybe once...
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And yet no one ever speaks...ever...like not once in the hundreds of STFs I've been in.

Okay, maybe once...

The one time I've ever seen anyone try to be helpful to the other players at the beginning of a pug STF they only responses they got were "Don't tell me how to play the game" and "stfu".
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    When everyone has indicated that they ready, the map starts. It could even speed things up for veteran players by skipping any start timer/cutscene entirely if everyone is ready from the get go.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    When everyone has indicated that they ready, the map starts. It could even speed things up for veteran players by skipping any start timer/cutscene entirely if everyone is ready from the get go.

If you do that then it might make it possible for trolls/griefers to hold groups hostage before they can even do anything. At least right now you can still attempt to 4 man stuff if somebody decides to not contribute.

I had posted something like this a few weeks ago, but i doubt it will get implemented. It doesnt even have to a briefing room type thing like Undine Infiltration or CE has. Just give us 15seconds of wait time where we cannot move. Similar to how Breach or Borg Disconnected are now. They dont even need to do any voiceover just 10-15 seconds where everything is on hold and the players can talk about strats, talk about their favorite color, or they can tell each other how they really really feel about one another.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    If you do that then it might make it possible for trolls/griefers to hold groups hostage before they can even do anything. At least right now you can still attempt to 4 man stuff if somebody decides to not contribute.

The best way to deal with trolls/griefers is to report them so that they get banned (hopefully). Designing a game around them seems like a bad idea to me. Also, a vote/kick system might work to get rid any obstructionist players. Of course such a system could also be abused which is why simpler is better; just report trolls/griefers and rejoin the queue.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    Great idea - and yeah it already exists.

It's called a Private Queue.

As the maker of the queue, you have your players rapt attention. To experience this, visit one of the various chat channels dedicated to exactly this.

Public queues (which used to be playable at any level) have become for the moment a waste of time until players adapt to the new challenges.
  • Options
    graysockgraysock Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Great idea -
    Public queues (which used to be playable at any level) have become for the moment a waste of time until players adapt to the new challenges.

They won't... just look at the injury system, its there from the start, first few days after DR I saw no people joining ground elite queue with any injuries and had regenerators on them, a week from launch the odd one popped up sometimes, now its pretty much every time 2-3 people having injuries and no regenerators.

One of the most simple fixes to improve quality a lot is to not let people join advance and elite queues as long as they don't have fix their injuries/broken systems. Maybe its gets so annoying that they can't join that they finally will heal their char/ship regularly.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The best way to deal with trolls/griefers is to report them so that they get banned (hopefully). Designing a game around them seems like a bad idea to me. Also, a vote/kick system might work to get rid any obstructionist players. Of course such a system could also be abused which is why simpler is better; just report trolls/griefers and rejoin the queue.

Yah..."hopefully" they get banned. BTW i'm doing the doctor evil air quotes, using two big foam hands with the big ole fingers when i say "hopefully".

You are relying too much on the human factor for reporting to work. First you have to pray that the player isnt a big dickhole in the first place. Then you are relying on people to even report that person. And lastly you have to rely on the company to investigate the tickets and handle punishment. There is never a shortage of trolls it seems and people can and will report. But its the last part that worries me...

Until trolls and griefers become extinct then i think its better to be proactive with them instead of reactive.
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Rather not have more loading screens.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.