test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A general statement on the state of the game

kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
After what happened yesterday, tempers flaired and people got rather upset over the shutdown of Tau Dewa.

Since it's been about 24 hours I hope now we can all talk about this like adults (and for the record, that means without swearing someone else out, and not engainging in any moaning)

The Dev's say that shut it down because they viewed it as explored behavior. The players claim it was not an exploit. Was it absoluly thier right to turn the sector off? Yes. It's in the ToS that hey can change the game at any time.

Which is something I want to bring up on the side is that I'm noticing this is less about thier actions yesterday than some people realize and more about a general issue some people have with change. It goes back to last summer and the first mention of Tier 6.

Immediately afterwards, before the dev panel was over, people were complaint in about making t5 obsolete (not exactly knowing the meaning of the word). Another group demanding making thier T5 ships T6, the "we want a T5 Connie" crowd immediately attempted to EXPLOIT a perceived loophole by asking for a T6 connie (since it was never discussed before) or a T5 Connie now that T5 was not true endgame.

Delta Rising launches and people immediately stop doing Qued content because it was too hard. They had assumed they could just keep doing them like used to. Some people's STF strategies can best be described as "LEEROY JENKINS!" Demolishing everything in thier path. Which worked. Until last week.

So, they throw us a bone and lower the enemy health (coming in Thursday's patch).

People also realized "hey, I did a mission and didn't level up"

Dev's mention they want you to work for those 5 levels, player base gives them the collective finger and say "TRIBBLE what you want us to do".

It was never intended for you to go from 50 to 60 as easy as 0-50. The previous XP event, I leveled a KDF sci from start to 50 in less than 12 hours play time. Between doffing, missions and my 5% vet bonus, she hit 50 after "A Fist Full of Gorn".

Now, just becuause some thing is not explicitly againts the rules does not mean it's right or that it's not cheating.

By the logic some people have used in the past 24 hours, sports leagues should allow steroid use because it wasn't againts the rules in the past. Yes, they are trying to intention any slow everyone down. That's why they were upset and closed Tau Dewa. It's called "Railroading"

Don't want to "grind"? Well then, how about you try other things. Other sector blocks. Missions your toons skipped. The foundry. There are lots of ways to play this game.

But no, everyone has to has everything this microsecond...
Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
What's my position?
That people should know what they're screaming about!
(paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
Post edited by kamenriderzero1 on

Comments

• Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    After what happened yesterday, tempers flaired and people got rather upset over the shutdown of Tau Dewa.

Since it's been about 24 hours I hope now we can all talk about this like adults (and for the record, that means without swearing someone else out, and not engainging in any moaning)

The Dev's say that shut it down because they viewed it as explored behavior. The players claim it was not an exploit. Was it absoluly thier right to turn the sector off? Yes. It's in the ToS that hey can change the game at any time.

Which is something I want to bring up on the side is that I'm noticing this is less about thier actions yesterday than some people realize and more about a general issue some people have with change. It goes back to last summer and the first mention of Tier 6.

Immediately afterwards, before the dev panel was over, people were complaint in about making t5 obsolete (not exactly knowing the meaning of the word). Another group demanding making thier T5 ships T6, the "we want a T5 Connie" crowd immediately attempted to EXPLOIT a perceived loophole by asking for a T6 connie (since it was never discussed before) or a T5 Connie now that T5 was not true endgame.

Delta Rising launches and people immediately stop doing Qued content because it was too hard. They had assumed they could just keep doing them like used to. Some people's STF strategies can best be described as "LEEROY JENKINS!" Demolishing everything in thier path. Which worked. Until last week.

So, they throw us a bone and lower the enemy health (coming in Thursday's patch).

People also realized "hey, I did a mission and didn't level up"

Dev's mention they want you to work for those 5 levels, player base gives them the collective finger and say "TRIBBLE what you want us to do".

It was never intended for you to go from 50 to 60 as easy as 0-50. The previous XP event, I leveled a KDF sci from start to 50 in less than 12 hours play time. Between doffing, missions and my 5% vet bonus, she hit 50 after "A Fist Full of Gorn".

Now, just becuause some thing is not explicitly againts the rules does not mean it's right or that it's not cheating.

By the logic some people have used in the past 24 hours, sports leagues should allow steroid use because it wasn't againts the rules in the past. Yes, they are trying to intention any slow everyone down. That's why they were upset and closed Tau Dewa. It's called "Railroading"

Don't want to "grind"? Well then, how about you try other things. Other sector blocks. Missions your toons skipped. The foundry. There are lots of ways to play this game.

AMEN

*slams door, walks out and finds a snack*
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Have they actually stated the exact nature of the exploit yet? last dev post i saw said that a few people in TD were exploiting and they are investigating.

-Was it the simple act of doing the same patrol mission back to back to back to back for xp that was the exploit?

-was it related to ship specialization? leveling it too fast? capped specialization earning dil?

-did someone find a treasure chest and were able to loot an infinite number of stones of jordan?

-all of the above?

-none of the above?

I dont want to hear player speculation i want to hear the word from the devs but not in vague terms. Of course i'm willing to wait until after they have fixed the exploit and make it no longer possible before talking about it. But i doubt we'll even get that.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Have they actually stated the exact nature of the exploit yet? last dev post i saw said that a few people in TD were exploiting and they are investigating.

-Was it the simple act of doing the same patrol mission back to back to back to back for xp that was the exploit?

-was it related to ship specialization? leveling it too fast? capped specialization earning dil?

-did someone find a treasure chest and were able to loot an infinite number of stones of jordan?

-all of the above?

-none of the above?

I dont want to hear player speculation i want to hear the word from the devs but not in vague terms. Of course i'm willing to wait until after they have fixed the exploit and make it no longer possible before talking about it. But i doubt we'll even get that.

It was for the EXP and the Dil farming from doing the same easy mission over and over again.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It was for the EXP and the Dil farming from doing the same easy mission over and over again.

And they said this or is it just based on player observations of what was going on in TD during the period of the exploits? Again i dont want player speculations i want an updated dev quote stating exactly what it was. You may be right and it may be everything you just said. But i want to hear it from them.

EDIT: if it is an issue that is still being worked on by their techs then it isnt something they can discuss obviously. BUT though they cant tell us what the exploit was then maybe they can at least tell us what it wasnt.
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

yet they didn't have a problem with people doing it for Romulan marks and Dil before DR?

- throwing gas on a fire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And they said this or is it just based on player observations of what was going on in TD during the period of the exploits? Again i dont want player speculations i want an updated dev quote stating exactly what it was. You may be right and it may be everything you just said. But i want to hear it from them.

They just put up the PAtch notes, and they "fixed" the amount of EXP around for things related to what the "exploit" was. They also made it so players do not get any dil from maxed out mastery anymore.

That is all the proof you should need and are going to get.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    They just put up the PAtch notes, and they "fixed" the amount of EXP around for things related to what the "exploit" was. They also made it so players do not get any dil from maxed out mastery anymore.

That is all the proof you should need and are going to get.

And see thats all i *do* need to know...

But what about all the discussion and rage that had been going on before the patch notes came out? how many people flipped out and thought that what they were doing was the exploit when it actually wasnt? Thats probably mostly the fault of the playerbase but could all the rage have been prevented by an active dev/mod saying no that wasnt the exploit...no that one wasnt it either...nope not that one.
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Oh so true. To be fair though, that is how cryptic make most of their money from STO, player impatience.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And see thats all i *do* need to know...

But what about all the discussion and rage that had been going on before the patch notes came out? how many people flipped out and thought that what they were doing was the exploit when it actually wasnt? Thats probably mostly the fault of the playerbase but could all the rage have been prevented by an active dev/mod saying no that wasnt the exploit...no that one wasnt it either...nope not that one.

except that everyone was already saying it was the exp and dil that was the exploit. problem is that it was not a problem until this week. the only people saying anything different were deluding themselves in the vain hope the obvious fact was wrong.
  • Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I admit my spidey sense isntvwhat it once was..

But I think I've just been trolled.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wildmousex wrote: »
    yet they didn't have a problem with people doing it for Romulan marks and Dil before DR?

- throwing gas on a fire.

To be honestly fair, until DR, all you had to do was sit in one section and, depending on how long you wanted to work, either shoot a bunch of ships or, what I did, was do a bunch of trading missions. It didn't hurt anyone.

Obviously, this did.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thanks OP for the very reasoned, well-worded post.

I think the Devs needed to take a backseat and let the fire die down before stepping in. When the forums are that lit up with an issue, a couple posts from the Dev team will just disappear in the madness. And by 'madness,' I mean the now 1000+ replies on the several 'Tau Dewa Doom' threads that spawned.

I for one commend Cryptic. One argument I've seen over and over again in the forums is that, somehow, the Devs 'don't care' and ignore the game. I think with these constant tweaks, we're seeing the Devs remain very, very active in maintaining STO. Every week we see good fixes being applied in the patch notes. Does everything get fixed immediately? Of course not. But in time, when it can be done, they do it. Case in point, thank you Cryptic for fixing the fleet patch clipping issue with Republic uniforms. It's a big game, so sometimes we just need to all be patient. That clipping was a longstanding issue, but it got fixed eventually. Everything in due time.

Plus, the Devs did immediately put a news release on the forum. Granted without much information, but as with any developing situation it's hard to say something without all the facts. At least they said something.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    except that everyone was already saying it was the exp and dil that was the exploit. problem is that it was not a problem until this week. the only people saying anything different were deluding themselves in the vain hope the obvious fact was wrong.

Let me use myself as an example...i didnt participate in the TD grindfest but these examples are about something else.

1) When i do the TD space daily i go to Carraya and just repeat it 5 times back to back. I believe there are several variations of this type of patrol. The Carraya is the Romulan enemy NPCs, there is one with MU enemy npc ships i believe and i think another with renegade klingons. I just remember the first time doing the space patrols i actually went to all planets and i do remember there was more then 1 type of that patrol. But then i just started doing Carraya. Why fly to that other planet which has the same patrol type but different enemies? i might as well stay in the same place. The system has no lockout so i figure it must be allowed. Does that action fall under their definition of an exploit? maybe...maybe not.

2) here's another one. i leveled a new KDF to 50 a month or so ago and i needed gear. I repeated the same mission 3 times to get the full Solanae set. Repeated a mission twice for the Obelisk and 360 AP array. Then i farmed the AP XI VR weapons from i think the borg advanced episodes. I think i farmed up 8 beam arrays total and 4-5 dual cannons. I logged onto one character did the mission, logged onto another character did the mission, logged onto a 3rd character did the mission then i went back to the first character and by that time the timer was up so i did the mission again. Does that count as an exploit? i'm thinking probably not...or is it?
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I can see it from both sides. It was an exploit that the devs for some reason didn't pick up on it happening before they released the xpack. So i blame the players and the devs on this one. As mmo devs they should know that mmo's have these players that rush to get to max lvl and need to have all the new shinnies in a mmo. Give them any exploit and they will use it. Then you have the player that plays the game for fun and enjoy's the ride.So i won't login to the game until the patch comes out. Then i can go back and finsh my rom rep.that got shutdown because of the players looking for an easy way up.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As I asked elsewhere too. as an exercise for the mind, later on, how far is Cryptic willing to take the 'exploitive' thingy? If I were to level up a new toon, and have my Fleeties do me the favor of taking me into high-level missions, so I can speed up my leveling, am I then exploiting too?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    As I asked elsewhere too. as an exercise for the mind, later on, how far is Cryptic willing to take the 'exploitive' thingy? If I were to level up a new toon, and have my Fleeties do me the favor of taking me into high-level missions, so I can speed up my leveling, am I then exploiting too?

If cryptic thinks they can somehow turn nerfing what you mentioned into the buying of zen then by all means they will nerf the bejesus out of it and call it an exploit.

Cryptic is sending out a message that cannot be ignored any longer that is "we no longer care about the game or its players".

Fanboys will detract because nothing cryptic does is wrong because its a star trek game they will ignore everything except that STO has star trek in the name.

anyways i expect cryptic to address that issue sooner or later the tau dewa thing is only the first salvo of many more to come.
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited October 2014

Actually, you're wrong. I had everything the microsecond before DR came out. Then, my everything became a lot less effective, and I had to pour tons of resources into merely getting it back to where it was.

This game is garbage.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    Actually, you're wrong. I had everything the microsecond before DR came out. Then my everything became a lot less effective, and I had to pour tons of resources into merely getting it back to where it was.

WELCOME TO MMO's!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I've played MMOs where this simply didn't happen. Far more successful ones than this **** of the gaming world. Perhaps you should broaden your horizons.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I've played MMOs where this simply didn't happen. Far more successful ones than this **** of the gaming world. Perhaps you should broaden your horizons.

name ONE MMORPG game where a major update that raises the level cap does NOT make all the current gear useless.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    name ONE MMORPG game where a major update that raises the level cap does NOT make all the current gear useless.

EVE online.

Name ONE MMORPG game where a major update that raises the level cap doesn't even have enough self contained content to advanced those levels AND relies upon recycled older content as it's 'new' endgame.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Easy. Eve. It has no level caps, because it has no levels.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    EVE online.

.....you mean the game that is filled with the worst of gaming society, where if you are new, you are gong nowhere without spending literally hundreds of IRL dollars, all of which can be lost in a second because some jerk decided to attack you. That game is so P2W it should have its own level of P2Wness.

thanks for naming ONE game, and sad one game being barely a game, and more of the perfect job for a TRIBBLE
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    "The worst of gaming society?"

You sound butthurt that their society runs circles around yours.

"Spending hundreds of IRL dollars?"

Do we live on the same planet? What in hell are you talking about here?
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    EVE online.

Name ONE MMORPG game where a major update that raises the level cap doesn't even have enough self contained content to advanced those levels AND relies upon recycled older content as it's 'new' endgame.

SWTOR for one, Destiny, most korean-based MMO's.....and that is right off the top of my head.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    SWTOR for one, Destiny, most korean-based MMO's.....and that is right off the top of my head.

Might explain why I never had any interest in them.
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They haven't sourced the alleged exploit? How is it the fault of the community for taking advantage of an exploit when it is the Devs job to ensure that exploits don't exist? If that is the case, then the devs or whomever it is that ensure's quality assurance is NOT doing their job! This is just more evidence that the Cryptic is NOT paying attention to the game they are building.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    "The worst of gaming society?"

You sound butthurt that their society runs circles around yours.

"Spending hundreds of IRL dollars?"

Do we live on the same planet? What in hell are you talking about here?

one of their devs (or at least someone related to the company) was laughing at a guy who was threatening to kill himself.....yeah

also, HAVE YOU ever even heard of the same game? A new player literally cannot get to the same level as a veteran, ever, becuase to do so, they need to actually last long enough and be good enough to defeat people who have been on the game much longer.