test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starship traits

walt04walt04 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited April 2015 in The Academy
Hi folks.. I am trying to figure out the rules or what's needed pertaining to starship traits. Cant seem to equip any on t5.5 upgraded ships.. spcificly Jem Hadar , Undine and hinerien ships. also was not able to preform this on veteran ships on all characters. is the option available only on t6 ships? Is it level 60 unlock? do u need to get the ability unlock from a lock box. If someone can guide me in this or refer me to specific material it will be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the patch notes and all I have found out so far is what it dose.. not anything on what or how to equip or use any of it. all ships in my stash have been upgraded.. which makes me wonder why put it there if its not available to T-5.5 ships..
Post edited by walt04 on

Comments

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    must be earned with the new T6 ships only.

You need to level the T6 ship up 5 times to get a character trait for your space ship.

once you get it you can slot it on your character and it will effect any ship you use.

T5U only can earn the 1st 4 levels of passive bonuses for that ship. You can not earn a star ship trait from any T5U ship. Much Buy New T6 Ship.
  • methos5kmethos5k Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You can also earn the starship traits in specializations.
    I believe intelligence has 2, while commando and pilot each have 1.
  • dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    We Klingons have only 2 T6 ships offered in the new Delta Rising together with our Romulan brothers. How will we be able to acquire the total 4 Ship Traits that only come from T6 Ships.

The Fed has 4 T6 ships offered. Are Klingons and Romulans now forced to spend extra Zen on Master Keys to try our lucky to get a Delta Lock Box Ship and Lobi Crystals for another? That to me is adding 'insult to injury'. Those who play Fed are not forced to do this as they have all the T6 ships to make all the Ship Traits.

We also fight our common enemies just as the Fed, and it seems to me quite unfair that this is so. Most Klingons have been in this game for years and have spent just as much or more to play the game as a Klingon. Although I do have Fed characters as well, I still find this situation undeniably unjust. Does this mean that our Klink and Rom Dollars are worth less than Fed Dollars where we are obliged to spend more for something based on luck?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dalmacius wrote: »
    We Klingons have only 2 T6 ships offered in the new Delta Rising together with our Romulan brothers. How will we be able to acquire the total 4 Ship Traits that only come from T6 Ships.

The Fed has 4 T6 ships offered. Are Klingons and Romulans now forced to spend extra Zen on Master Keys to try our lucky to get a Delta Lock Box Ship and Lobi Crystals for another? That to me is adding 'insult to injury'. Those who play Fed are not forced to do this as they have all the T6 ships to make all the Ship Traits.

We also fight our common enemies just as the Fed, and it seems to me quite unfair that this is so. Most Klingons have been in this game for years and have spent just as much or more to play the game as a Klingon. Although I do have Fed characters as well, I still find this situation undeniably unjust. Does this mean that our Klink and Rom Dollars are worth less than Fed Dollars where we are obliged to spend more for something based on luck?

The Feds have 5 T6 ships, but the Intel ships all have the same trait anyway. And, see the post above yours. :)
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    The Feds have 5 T6 ships, but the Intel ships all have the same trait anyway. And, see the post above yours. :)

Wrong, each Intel ship has its own trait. The Feds currently have access to 7 traits including lockbox ships where as the other factions have access to 4.
    320x240.jpg
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »

You need to level the T6 ship up 5 times to get a character trait for your space ship.

once you get it you can slot it on your character and it will effect any ship you use.

T5U only can earn the 1st 4 levels of passive bonuses for that ship. You can not earn a star ship trait from any T5U ship. Much Buy New T6 Ship.
    Wrong. you get Starship traits from specialization as well. You don't have to buy a Tier 6 ship.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wrong. you get Starship traits from specialization as well. You don't have to buy a Tier 6 ship.

Though the Fed-ones are really nice. Makes even lt.cmd. tac-cruiser strong without the need to use Aux2bat to achieve global CD on Tac-abilities. Or gives you a spontaneous Miracle Workerx4 every 80seconds or so :D
  • ifandbutifandbut Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Is there a list as to what star ship traits do what?
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Technically correct but you still wont get a trait that only comes with levelling ship mastery in a T6 ship, you only get those that come with specialization levelling.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »

Weird that the first response nailed it, and then there was a bunch of drivel.

As always, the bit about global cool-down was hysterical. Shine on crazy!

The "technically specialization is the same as star ship traits' was also pretty good.

Specialization is Specialization and is available to all just by playing.

Peace.
  • stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thissler wrote: »
    Weird that the first response nailed it, and then there was a bunch of drivel.

As always, the bit about global cool-down was hysterical. Shine on crazy!

The "technically specialization is the same as star ship traits' was also pretty good.

Specialization is Specialization and is available to all just by playing.

Peace.

I too was wondering if that was the "right" answer.
    I'll take your post as a confirmation (+1).
    With all the bickering that went on in between,
    I kinda wished a dev/community leader would set the record straight,
    or atleast someone with a link that explains.
    In any case, I feel bad for the op, cause I had the same question,
    and only "kinda" got it answered.....I guess, ...maybe...

Edit. Found this link, I guess no starship traits with t5-u was right, according to the chart.
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    All T6 star ship traits once unlocked should be usable *account wide* and *cross faction*.

Doing it the way it currently is, just adds more imbalance to the game and, comically, reduces profits.
    As an example, I would literally buy fed ships (a faction I care nothing about and only have one character in that is just a dil mine claim grinder) and spend the time to master them, just to be able to use the traits on my KDF character. Unfortunately I'm currently not buying any because they are of no use to me in their current locked down form.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    westmetals wrote: »
    One other thing - pertaining to the 'shortage' of T6 KDF and Romulan ships...

There WILL BE more T6 ships released later. I have no insider information, no specs and no timetable, but the developers have a history of releasing new ships every couple of months, and new lockboxes every 3 months or so, and I have to believe that at least a large minority (20-30% or so, minimum) of any new ships released will be T6.

T6 is only what, nine days old? Patience.

(I personally hope some of those have canon hulls... but we shall see.)

I agree with all of that except the patience part. The expansion is fed only so far. The story/missions are all fed dialog (here, let me help you please I really want to) and the ships are all fed. The rom intel ship seems pretty nice, but the kdf one is a tank that very few would want (3 tac consoles, joy, and a bad officer layout). The raptor is OK, pretty good actually.

There is no need for patience because they SHOULD have released 3 ships for each faction. And they SHOULD have allowed the kdf some dialog that makes sense, esp when they figure out what the kobali are doing (dishonorable..!) and certainly no idiot low ranked fed officer would be reminding us of the prime directive in the text!
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    ... and certainly no idiot low ranked fed officer would be reminding us of the prime directive in the text!

I noticed the same thing, but with all of the stuff i have done so far.
    So when all the Voth appear in that one mission, ready to blow us out of the sky and then disappear just as fast, with no spoiler info I thought "Okay, they are responding to that distress call that just went out and can't be bothered with killing us right now", but I then get one and only one dialog option... "Do you think that the Voth are attacking the planet?"

No. I do not. If the Voth were responsible they would have had a dedicated force to get the job done and this force would have gotten their job done.

I think they are just hoping that everyone is so awed by the characters that they don't worry about things like whether the story is immersive or whether it even makes sense.

I know that it all ends up in the same place, but would it have killed them to add a "I suspect that the Voth went to investigate the distress signal. They may know something that we don't" choice to the box?

They could have still got by with paying Jeri Ryan to say the same thing no matter what choice we made, but they seem to feel that our characters, highly accomplished admirals all, should play second fiddle to these characters because they are "official".

I mean I was also dragging 7 of 9 around on the planet and she was telling me exactly what I needed to do to repair the shield devices. So if she is so smart and I am so dumb, why doesn't she just make the repairs herself?

The whole thing was very "errand boy"-ish.

But that is off topic.

On-topic, I was wondering about T5-U ships and traits also.

The UI mentions unlocking a trait but there is nothing there in regards to progress or even what the trait might be, so i came here to find out.

Now I know... No traits for T5-U ships.

I knew there were ship traits in the trees to unlock, but if there are no traits for T5-U ships, they should change the UI to make this absolutely clear.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On-topic, I was wondering about T5-U ships and traits also.

The UI mentions unlocking a trait but there is nothing there in regards to progress or even what the trait might be, so i came here to find out.

Now I know... No traits for T5-U ships.

I knew there were ship traits in the trees to unlock, but if there are no traits for T5-U ships, they should change the UI to make this absolutely clear.
    It was stated in the Dev blogs about the differences between t5u and t6 ships, and if you look at a t5u ship in your status you see there is no trait, but for a t6 there is.

Mentioning what does not exist in a ui would be horribly cluttered.

And for the record, kdf have access to 8 traits and each captain can only use 4:
    Matha
    Qin
    Intelligence x2
    Commando
    Pilot
    Benthan
    Hazari

Romulan also have 8, and feds have 11
  • mdm454mdm454 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    All T6 star ship traits once unlocked should be usable *account wide* and *cross faction*.

Doing it the way it currently is, just adds more imbalance to the game and, comically, reduces profits.
    As an example, I would literally buy fed ships (a faction I care nothing about and only have one character in that is just a dil mine claim grinder) and spend the time to master them, just to be able to use the traits on my KDF character. Unfortunately I'm currently not buying any because they are of no use to me in their current locked down form.

...Amen...
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I disagree vehemently. Giving everyone everything removes the virtue of factions, reduces the viability of many traits, and loses sales in the long run. In the short term sure you might buy one ship. But a few months from now when they made cross faction traits to lockboxes (same as they are doing consoles) they'll sell more than 25 keys for each one that drops.
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    dalmacius wrote: »

You can find those lobi/lockbox T6 ships on the exchange. They're actually quite affordable now. I picked up a Benthan cruiser as soon as I could, because the viral torpedo trait looked awesome, and boy, am I glad I got it.
    I AM WAR.
  • janeway70janeway70 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have earned mastery on 3 ships but cannot slot them in the traits ... they just don't show up ... what is going on?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    janeway70 wrote: »
    I have earned mastery on 3 ships but cannot slot them in the traits ... they just don't show up ... what is going on?

Are the ships all Tier 6 ships?

Only Tier 6 Ships have Trait unlocks, T5-U have mastery but no trait. The mastery bonus on a T5-U ship can only be used on that ship and doesn't show up as a Trait.

Once you max all 5 levels on a Tier 6 Starship, you can slot the Trait for that ship under your Traits Tab. You must be level 50 before you can slot traits, but that's moot because you also need to be 50 to fly the T6 Ship initially.

What 3 ships did you do?
    Insert witty signature line here.