What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poor Ethan Philips....

2»

Comments

• qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, my feedback on the voice acting:

Neelix: I think it was good, could really imagine him bouncing up and down with excitement

Tuvok: Solid, some of his lines on the Talaxian station are hilarious

The Doctor: I don't know, I hardly recognized his voice and he didn't seem very motivated (I had the recognition problem with Michael Dorn too, but I guess it was the lack of Klingon teeth while he was recording his lines)

Seven of Nine: Okay-ish, not bad but not really good either.

Kim: Is okay, but sounds like George Takei in some lines ! :eek:

I still have one mission to play after I annihilate my way through the last couple of patrols though. :)
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    xaraman wrote: »
    Thank you for that info.

You are most welcome.

Zachary Quinto played the EMH of the Khitomer with the old tutorial, but with the tutorial revamp, his role is significantly reduced.

Well that bites. I found his blatant arrogance to be amusing. I guess there are always YouTube recordings for the people that did not get to experience it first hand.

qjunior wrote: »

Kim: Is okay, but sounds like George Takei in some lines ! :eek:

Took him forever to reach Captain, too. Pish. Losers. I was their boss in under a year. :P
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only real immersion breaking moment with Neelix?

He didn't hug Tuvok as soon as he saw him.

The emotion he put into that scene was great though and had there been a hug emote in the game I'm certain he would have had Tuvok in a hell of a Bear Hug.

I'm more concerned with the fact that all of the Talaxians seem to be drunks.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »
    The emotion he put into that scene was great though and had there been a hug emote in the game I'm certain he would have had Tuvok in a hell of a Bear Hug.

I'm more concerned with the fact that all of the Talaxians seem to be drunks.

I so wish they'd made a hug just for that scene. I thought both Tim Russ and Ethan Philips did a great job. Also, whether it was the sto writer or Ethan, whoever remembered "Mr Vulcan" and not "tuvok" also deserved a hug =)

On the rest of it, there were points where almost everyone sounded a little less emotional than they should have.

Like, take Worf/Michael Dorn, in the testing the gate scene he was great. After the big fight were you test the carrier, even with arguing and etc he's totally bland and emotionless. The doctor was great in his first meeting with neelix talking about his own accomplishments, but dull and almost bored warning you about Gaul's betrayal 32 years ago. Seven had just the right annoyance and rush in her voice when you first meet her in mindscape, it absolutely sounds like her scenes trying to get people to go back to work and stop eating/etc from the show. But seconds later when you see assimilated undine, she's dull and flat.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that they don't have anyone to interact with. Put them together and let the magic happen.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    finish the 1st mission with Neelix, right away reminded me why i hated the character and wish he became a redshirt during the show.

and I agree with Tuvok about those Talaxians on their station...

they need to feel a boot on their necks and beaten senseless to build some character as a species... maybe as slaves to the Kazon would do the trick...
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've been quite impressed by Phillips' voice acting. Of all of the actors I've heard so far, I think he's made the transition best. (And is probably grateful he doesn't have to spend hours in the chair getting all that stuff stuck on his face to do the role!) His delivery is perfect, IMO.

Russ continues to be solid as Tuvok. Wang and Ryan have characters who can be rather stiff, but there have been times where they get a chance to inject some real emotion into the lines, and they do it well. Perhaps the greatest disappointment for me so far has actually been Picardo - his voice has seemed 'off' several times, much like Dorn's at the start of the Solanae mission (where it seemed like he was getting used to the recording studio and/or trying to remember his "Worf voice"). Some of that may be because I have such high expectations of the Doctor, who was always a marvel on the show.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I so wish they'd made a hug just for that scene. I thought both Tim Russ and Ethan Philips did a great job. Also, whether it was the sto writer or Ethan, whoever remembered "Mr Vulcan" and not "tuvok" also deserved a hug =)

On the rest of it, there were points where almost everyone sounded a little less emotional than they should have.

Like, take Worf/Michael Dorn, in the testing the gate scene he was great. After the big fight were you test the carrier, even with arguing and etc he's totally bland and emotionless. The doctor was great in his first meeting with neelix talking about his own accomplishments, but dull and almost bored warning you about Gaul's betrayal 32 years ago. Seven had just the right annoyance and rush in her voice when you first meet her in mindscape, it absolutely sounds like her scenes trying to get people to go back to work and stop eating/etc from the show. But seconds later when you see assimilated undine, she's dull and flat.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that they don't have anyone to interact with. Put them together and let the magic happen.

Yes, I think all of this hit the spot. Most of the time it feels like they're just reading their lines - although Russ did a good job compared to the others, and Phillips managed to one-up him, even they have a few bad moments.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    Neelix: I think it was good, could really imagine him bouncing up and down with excitement

I kind of wanted to give the little guy a hug at the end of All That Glitters. And his response to Gaul's barbarism that it mostly just made him sad for his dead friend and pity Gaul in this small, sad, disappointed little voice.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think maybe we should remember that probably not all of the actors have extensice experience in voice overs. From what I hear it's a quite different approach. You have to put everything in your voice, the awkward animations and emotes ingame are certainly not helping.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I thought Neelix was the best VO by far, followed by Kim, then Tuvok, 7of9 was totally phoned in.. no emotion at all, skipped most of those conversations once I read the text.

Pretty much how I'd rate them as well, except I don't dislike Seven as much .

But out of all of them, Neelix & the writing for him were the most lively throwbacks to Voyager & Trek to date .
    His absent minded prattle & kind and concerned nature just shine through .

... although they could have added a "Mr. Vulcan !" somewhere ...
  • desertjetsdesertjets Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ethan Philips voice work is by far the best that I have seen in DR thus far. I'd rate Tim Russ' and Garrett Wang's work as a tie for 2nd. I was also most disappointed by Robert Picardo's work -- the voice just sounded off in Mindscape, which I justified since we were in the middle of the mind meld with Tuvok -- so stuff maybe a little muddy. Which completely bummed me out since the Doctor was my favorite character on Voyager. It evolved so much beyond just being a holographic Data.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    ... although they could have added a "Mr. Vulcan !" somewhere ...

Very first thing he says when you board the station with tuvok.