test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

changing Varanus role from drain to...

ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Klingon Discussion
With the opportunity to upgrade my KDF Science toon's Fleet Varanus, I thought it might be a good time to switch the role of it as well. I've been running it in a drain build using dominion polarons, 4 flow cap consoles, TR3, GW1, ES2, ES1 and deflector doffs to reduce CD on GW/ TR so I can put them out often.
I was thinking of making a build to keep things away or stuck. The varanus doesn't have much engineering, so warp plasma doesn't seem to be worth giving up a heal for. So, I am hoping some folks might have some advice on setting up a good controlling build using the Varanus, and whether it's better to go with a torpedo focus or beam weapons since I would be willing to respec too.

I was thinking that the BO setup might be something like....

TT1, TT2
EPTS1, ET2
EPTS1
HE1, ST2, GW1, GW3
HE1, TBR1, TBR2

Thanks for your input.
Post edited by ryakidrys on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    have you pondered slapping a Projected Singularity console onto it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    have you pondered slapping a Projected Singularity console onto it?

Isn't that a romulan only console?
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    Isn't that a romulan only console?

Not anymore, Cryptic crammed it into a box inside a lockbox. Be sure to grab the "(Klingon)" version from the exchange, as you can't open the Fed version. Also, the same box has the option of Metreon Gas Canisters, which is a Eject Warp Plasma that you can explode console, so it might be worth picking up two of the boxes (only can get one option out of each box) if you have the console space.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Not anymore, Cryptic crammed it into a box inside a lockbox. Be sure to grab the "(Klingon)" version from the exchange, as you can't open the Fed version. Also, the same box has the option of Metreon Gas Canisters, which is a Eject Warp Plasma that you can explode console, so it might be worth picking up two of the boxes (only can get one option out of each box) if you have the console space.

It has been forever since I used the Metreon Gas Canisters, but as I recall, it's very dependent on Particle Generators. I'd get it if your PGen stat is high, but it not I'd skip it. Unless it's dirt cheap (I haven't looked).

Also OP, I'd suggest finding a way to cram in Torp Spread 2 and the Dyson weapons + console set. Since you're using Grav Wells to bunch up / CC NPCs, firing a Torp Spread into that mix with the Dyson Grav Torp is a great thing. It gives a low TAC count ship like the Veranus some punch while still providing its strong CC. This is always welcome in a team.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It has been forever since I used the Metreon Gas Canisters, but as I recall, it's very dependent on Particle Generators. I'd get it if your PGen stat is high, but it not I'd skip it. Unless it's dirt cheap (I haven't looked).

The OP was specifically considering EWP, so that console could be an alternative. It does decent on slowing Spheres down in ISA, which can be important now, so even with little to no PG it has its uses. I've not checked the prices of the current one, but last Xindi lockbox (Klingon) version was the cheapest version, probably looking at the same thing with this one.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It has been forever since I used the Metreon Gas Canisters (...)
    I was going to comment I recently rediscovered the joys of using this console. Last week, I added this to my KDF toon. While I wasn't flying the Varanus (I was in my Fleet Mogh, pre T5-U), it seemed very effective in the "Azure Nebula Rescue" against the Tholians. (My perception, anyways... I don't have stats to prove that it was.)

I wish KDF ships, like the Varanus, would get another look. They're solid ships with potential. :cool:

Right now, they're relegated to my KDF drydock, collecting space dust. :(
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So, no thoughts on the bridge officer setup for a control build or whether beams or torpedoes as main weapons?
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I find it a little sluggish for torpedos, personally, but I suppose you could try a standard Transphasic build with the Piloting spec.

It doesn't have the tactical bridge seats to use mines, but you could still run a ghetto-vacuum build with Inverted(Voth Doff: Falla Okev) Tractor Repulsors and the Vent Theta Radiation console if you have the Scourge:
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=varanuscrc_0

Or, you can go with a more standard long range Gravity Torpboat:
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=varanuslrc2_0

Whichever shield/core you like is fine. You can also run Photons on the latter by mixing the specialty launchers(Enhanced Bio, Gravimetric, + 1 normal) and Dyson weapon set - Ideal would be the KHG 2-set for the projectile damage boost, but Assimilated is great for super-tanking(I'd suggest a Field Generator over an Emitter Array if you go with a Regen Shield though).
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Thank you, szerontzur, for the input. I agree that it's a tad slow for torpedoes, even when doubling up on EPTE and using a RCS console, but I found the drain build setup I had been utilizing is surprisingly adaptable to an area control build with only a few minor changes. With the new Vadwaar cluster-mine torpedo and the transphasic cluster-mine torp up front, I found I could essentially focus it more as a mine build since those 2 are boosted by geometry detonator consoles. The longer cooldowns of the cluster torpedoes and the mines I placed in the aft weapon slots works with the lower turn rate of the ship very well, meaning passing by a target and making a 180 to 270 degree turn can be made while the heavy hitters up front and mines in the rear are on cooldown. I find that they come off cooldown sometime after completing the turn-around.
    Even using deflector DOFFs to proc lowering coodlown on GW3 and TR2 to either hold or drop engine power to the targets, I find it still needs at least one tractor beam skill, replacing an energy siphon, to keep a target still more often than not in those times the deflector officers leave a long wait for the next tykens rift or grav well.