test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm considering taking a break from STO

furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
I have a policy when it comes to MMOs. Whenever there is a major content patch or, especially, an expansion, I usually wait a week or two, until the devs of that given MMO have ironed out any of the last minute bugs.

However, I broke from that policy when Delta Rising came out. Part of it was because I was that excited for the expansion, and the other part is, well...STO is already one of the buggier MMOs I've played, so I guess my attitude was, "How much worse could it be?"

Whelp, ask a silly question....

The breaking point for me was the bug with skills that occurred today. As it is, I had already painstakingly plotted out all of my skill points, because I was not fond of having to spend money on a respec token every time I wanted to tweak something. Just having to do all that again would have been annoying, but I was recently informed that even the respec thing isn't working properly: 3000 of those skill points that I once had have apparently just gone up in smoke.

So, for a brief moment, I was just like, "Well, I guess I'll just wait to play until they fix whatever is wrong with the skill point system, and those errant skill points return."

But then, I got to thinking about it, and how this has kind of just been the sharp tip of the iceburg. From cosmetic stuff to the interface, it seems like DR has suffered from no shortage of a variety of different bugs. And many of these are small, and again, merely annoying, but they start to add up after awhile.

Then, there's the rumblings I hear about STF balance, where many apparently feel that the increased difficulty hasn't been proportional to the possible rewards. We've been told that they will likely tweak the STFs as time goes by...but once again, that's just further incentive to wait things out.

It definitely hasn't been all bad, which is, once more, why I haven't called it quits sooner. The new missions are great, getting to see some of the old faces from Voyager has been fun, and the new captain and ship specializations actually make leveling up a treat once again. But, it's gotten to the point, for me at least, where the bad has started to overshadow the good, and potentially make it so I can't enjoy the stuff that I was enjoying previously.

Ultimately, I think it just needs a bit more polish, is all, and hopefully all of the complaints and concerns that both myself and other players have expressed will go toward Cryptic buckling down and applying that polish where needed. It's disappointing that some of this stuff didn't get caught back when it was on Tribble, but this certainly wouldn't be the first MMO expansion where problems, big and small, managed to make it to live.

As for me, I guess I'll be sticking to my policy after all.

Jolan tru, my fellow STO players. For those who are still enjoying themselves and those who plan on sticking it out, I wish you the best, and hope to rejoin you all soon.
"There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
Post edited by furiontassadar on

Comments

• puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    oh my favorite bug is the one where I have to constantly disable visuals for all of my equipped starship equipment. roughly every half hour.. that doesn't get old at all. lol..

the shame of it is, most of these bugs were mentioned in some form or another while we tested it for them.. and almost all of the bugs made it live.. big old fashioned picard facepalm there.. release after release, this is why no one cares anymore..
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i'm on a forced leave... due to the graphic error crash to desktop on load
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's a really wise policy, I bet it saves you a lot of headache. I thinkthe double-whammy of expansion plus cap raise is making this a bit worse than LoR, so in a few weeks things'll be very different.

Enjoy the break and we'll save some top shelf romulan ale for ya when you get back.
  • howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sometimes doing a break is the best thing to do. lets you relax from the game and get a fresh perspective.
    As gavinruneblade said give it a couple weeks to a month then the players will figure out a much smoother way of doing things it happens in every game when something new comes out
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah what a shame when they get all them voice actors putting in work for an expansion and then let it be completely overshadowed by all those terrible decisions.
  • startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Yeah what a shame when they get all them voice actors putting in work for an expansion and then let it be completely overshadowed by all those terrible decisions.

idk the pve ques killed it for me tbh, the other stuff i can tolerate alright.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sure, just saying with all them actors I'd say that warrents commerical attention and validation and I just think it's sad to watch them shoot themselves in the foot.

You could have had everyone being super hyped up about story, playing and so on, instead of trying to cope with your hate with dil nerf or whatever other poor decisions and moreover pointless ones at that they decided to ruin it with
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2014
    Was on a break both before and after CE event. Read X2 / DR ... was angry ... and then disinterested. Came back to play the last 2 days and it is boring as hell. Sorry folks, but taking minutes to kill a single tholian ship in CE isn't my idea of fun.

40 minutes in CE and we were only at 30%. Wow. I can't believe that devs fail so hard and there aren't consequences. I think Geko/D'Angelo proved that they have no idea what they are doing. Bring back Stahl!

Wrath of Stahl Forever!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All I read was , "Cry, Cry, Cry, rage quit, Cry, Cry"

God I love I quit threads, separates the wankers from the players.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    edited October 2014
    cidjack wrote: »

Okay Mr. Troll ... go find another thread to practice your craft. The OP said he is taking a break and not quitting. And yes, DR is incredibly boring, grindy and overall lacking in any redeeming quality. It is perfectly legitimate to say ... "taking a break until they fix / add stuff".

Hope you enjoy waiting 1/2 hour to queue for missions ... in a week or 2 after the novelty as worn off.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014

If you love them so much. Why are you in a thread that isnt about quiting?

You may have learned to read. But you must of been absent when the teacher taugh reading comprehension.
    edited October 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    O
    Hope you enjoy waiting 1/2 hour to queue for missions ... in a week or 2 after the novelty as worn off.

I have yet to play any missions, I am still developing the best builds for all these new ships I have!

He will be back in a few months, play for 10 mins, and then post a long thread about how STO has changed, and he misses the old STO. Same type thread TRIBBLE we saw right before DR dropped.

It is a rage quit thread, even if he didn't break it down to 5th grade comprehension level for others reading this post.
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Meh... taking a break is not necessarily a bad thing.

I am thinking about taking a short break after the Winter Event.
    edited October 2014
    I have yet to play any missions, I am still developing the best builds for all these new ships I have!

He will be back in a few months, play for 10 mins, and then post a long thread about how STO has changed, and he misses the old STO. Same type thread TRIBBLE we saw right before DR dropped.

It is a rage quit thread, even if he didn't break it down to 5th grade comprehension level for others reading this post.

Oh ... so you have actually not played any of the content. BUAHAHAHA!

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Even a 5th grader could understand hes not quitting. Now youre just struggling to make a point. Please pipe down.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Was on a break both before and after CE event. Read X2 / DR ... was angry ... and then disinterested. Came back to play the last 2 days and it is boring as hell. Sorry folks, but taking minutes to kill a single tholian ship in CE isn't my idea of fun.

40 minutes in CE and we were only at 30%. Wow. I can't believe that devs fail so hard and there aren't consequences. I think Geko/D'Angelo proved that they have no idea what they are doing. Bring back Stahl!

Wrath of Stahl Forever!

So you will complain about StahL?

This population complains no matter who is running the show.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wont matter how many players take a break aslong as theres players willing to pay for this bunk they keep cobbling out and forcing down our throats they will keep doing it.

As soon as i find another game i will more then likely quit no breaks i either play or i dont play im just giving it a little time to see if they clean this terrible expansion up.
    edited October 2014
    Even a 5th grader could understand hes not quitting. Now youre just struggling to make a point. Please pipe down.

Let me dumb my response down for ya:

No :P