test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dauntless Class - Experimental Science Vessel [T6]

ultraunitultraunit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hey everyone,

I'm just writing this to put my opinion out there. The Dauntless is, in my opinion, THE best Science ship released so far.

Granted, I haven't had much time to make this decision, but after flying with the T5-F-U Intrepid and Nebula classes, as well as T5-U Wells and Voth Palisade, this is by far the best. To begin with, it's Starship Mastery tree passives are amazing, and definitely benefit to the ships survive-ability and durability, as well as increases to exotic damage which is essential on any offensive science ship.

The ships console layout is perfect for any science character, or any character for that matter, to go on the offensive. With 3 Tactical Consoles, 5 Science, the dauntless is more than capable of looking after its self, in most circumstances. If the ship had 3 engineering consoles, then WOW... I look forward to that for the Dauntless Fleet version.

Anyway, I would like to go into more detail and write an actual review in the proper place on this ship, and when I do I will link it if any of you are bothered.

I am looking for opinions/feedback and improvements for the build I have for this so far, bare in my this toon has only reached Level 4 Omega Reputation, and less for other reputation.

Ship build: http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Brad@ultraunit)/ship-equipment

Thanks,
Brad.

P.S. Please feel free to contact me in game (Brad@ultraunit) if you wish to complete Battle of Korfez or No Win Scenario normal/advanced. These two/three STF's are the only ones I have yet to complete, other than all the new elite versions! :)
Thanks,
Brad@ultraunit.

USS Dauntless - Dauntless Class Experimental Science Vessel - T6
Post edited by ultraunit on

Comments

• organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hey Brad,

now we only need to know your log-in and password infos to look at your stats.

No!

Its easier and safer to post builds on STO Academe and share it from there ;)
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ultraunit wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'm just writing this to put my opinion out there. The Dauntless is, in my opinion, THE best Science ship released so far.

Granted, I haven't had much time to make this decision, but after flying with the T5-F-U Intrepid and Nebula classes, as well as T5-U Wells and Voth Palisade, this is by far the best.

I completely disagree, Voth Palisade is FAR better, and here's why ;)
    To begin with, it's Starship Mastery tree passives are amazing, and definitely benefit to the ships survive-ability and durability, as well as increases to exotic damage which is essential on any offensive science ship.

You do realize that pretty much every Tier 5U science vessel gets the same starship matery tree, right? The Voth Palisade T5U also gets exotic damage, +shields, +heals, and +aux as well, same bonuses at the Dauntless.
    The ships console layout is perfect for any science character, or any character for that matter, to go on the offensive. With 3 Tactical Consoles, 5 Science, the dauntless is more than capable of looking after its self, in most circumstances. If the ship had 3 engineering consoles, then WOW... I look forward to that for the Dauntless Fleet version.
    The Voth Palisade acutally does have 3 Tactical Consoles, 5 Science Consoles, and 3 Engineering Consoles... so in your own words "WOW" :cool:
    Anyway, I would like to go into more detail and write an actual review in the proper place on this ship, and when I do I will link it if any of you are bothered.

I am looking for opinions/feedback and improvements for the build I have for this so far, bare in my this toon has only reached Level 4 Omega Reputation, and less for other reputation.

Ship build: http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Brad@ultraunit)/ship-equipment

Thanks,
    Brad.

P.S. Please feel free to contact me in game (Brad@ultraunit) if you wish to complete Battle of Korfez or No Win Scenario normal/advanced. These two/three STF's are the only ones I have yet to complete, other than all the new elite versions! :)

More benefits of the Voth Palisade over the Dauntless:

Dauntless has 1 Commander Science, and 1 Lt Commander Tac, and 3 Lts. This translates to:
    Ensign slots: 5
    Lt slots: 5
    Lt Com slots: 2
    Commander slots: 1

Palisade has 1 Commander Science, 1 Lt Commander Engineering, and 1 Lt Commander Universal, and 1 Lt.
    Ensign slots: 4
    Lt slots: 4
    Lt Com slots: 3
    Commander slots: 1

You get 1 less Ensign slots, and 1 less Lt Commander slot, but you gain a UNIVERSAL LT COMMANDER slot. That's a good trade.

Dauntless has less shields.. less hull... really, the ONLY 2 benefits I see the Dauntless has is a secondary deflector, and it turns better. That is all. And that is not enough to make it the best science ship

That honor still goes to the Palisade (followed closely by the Wells) :)
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While the Palisades is a good ship. I prefer the Wells. Both I consider better than the squid. Although the squid has one more Boff slot, I don't think it is a game changer. Palisades is an awesome ship, the lt com uni is a good spot. I give the edge to the Wells because two reason: one being the back step console is now two minutes, two being the Temporal inversion field. The later is expensive to run.

Out of the new T6 ships I prefered the Scryer, (pizza cutter). I prefer to play science as it should be attended as a debuffer. I find it hard to beat the Scryer in this department. Also the Scryer's trait might be the best one yet. 7.5% exotic damage increase, stacks three times. With his trait, particle manipulation, conservation of energy, and the Mastery level one passive exotic damage is insane.
    320x240.jpg
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    simeion1 wrote: »
    While the Palisades is a good ship. I prefer the Wells. Both I consider better than the squid. Although the squid has one more Boff slot, I don't think it is a game changer. Palisades is an awesome ship, the lt com uni is a good spot. I give the edge to the Wells because two reason: one being the back step console is now two minutes, two being the Temporal inversion field. The later is expensive to run.
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned Wells follows a close second (didn't go into detail, but you mentioned key points), but I can see it be argued for being the best science vessel... it is definitely between the Wells and Palisade though.
    Out of the new T6 ships I prefered the Scryer, (pizza cutter). I prefer to play science as it should be attended as a debuffer. I find it hard to beat the Scryer in this department. Also the Scryer's trait might be the best one yet. 7.5% exotic damage increase, stacks three times. With his trait, particle manipulation, conservation of energy, and the Mastery level one passive exotic damage is insane.

I don't count Starship traits. I can buy the Scryer (and shall shortly), level it up to 5, take the trait, and use it on my Palisade (or Wells). Traits don't count for a ship's ranking. My real problem with the Scryer is there are not enough Science slots for a good Particle Generator build, and too many engineering slots... the intelligence benefits are interesting, but you need to sacrifice science slots for the better powers? The ship overall does see very much like a science ship, it's more of an "intelligence" ship. If both of the Lt Commanders were Intelligence slots instead of the Commander, it would be an amazing ship. As it is now, meh... I'll just buy it for the trait, level it up, then trash it...
  • ultraunitultraunit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sardocian wrote: »
    I completely disagree, Voth Palisade is FAR better, and here's why ;)

Ok... Although you're right with the statistics, I think the ships positive points far outweigh the negative when compared to the Palisade. The ships turn rate is far better, and for a science ship like this its essential, I felt the Voth Palisade was more vulnerable to attacks such as the Borg Plasma Energy Bolt, and similar abilities from other races.

An example is that the maneuverability of the ship definitely gives this the advantage when fighting the Vaadwaur, as they seem to focus their shields to one side, but with the increased maneuverability the ship will be able to quickly move around and fire on the ship from its un-protected facing.

Also, the ships ability to equip an Ensign and Lieutenant Intelligence power is essential for the most recent borg STF, Borg Disconnected Advanced/Elite as liberating the Borg is not optional, and the increased stealth and negative threat is essential. Additionally, the ships Secondary Defelctor is a great help, and it does improve shield healing and exotic damage (combined with mastery passives and consoles) than the Voth Palisade.

Finally its console ability is great, and I've found it suits the ship perfectly on STF's such as No Win Scenario Advanced/Elite and The Battle for Korfez, when used in conjunction with Photonic Fleet.

On one note as well, I think the ship looks amazing, compared to the Palisade. But I'll give it a draw with the Wells class ;).

Although I agree that the Scryer may well be a pizza cutter, I don't think its purpose should be as to play as a 'debuffer'. To me, the fact that the ship can equip cannons suggests it should be used as a Science Destroyer, but I believe the Intelligence powers and some of its traits, as well as its console takes that ability away more.

I appreciate you replying to this, but can I get some feedback on the build please? :D

Thanks,
    Brad.

P.S. organicmanfred... You can log into your own account to view others builds... :P
    Thanks,
    Brad@ultraunit.

• raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How is the Dauntless Class compared to other science ships and how is the hyper advanced quantum slipstream drive compared to the other QSD on other ships? From what I could see from CaptainSmirk's livestream, the slipstream Drive gives the Dauntless Class approximately Warp 23, sector space speed 153.1 and flight turn rate set to 3.
  • ultraunitultraunit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    raj011 wrote: »
    How is the Dauntless Class compared to other science ships and how is the hyper advanced quantum slipstream drive compared to the other QSD on other ships? From what I could see from CaptainSmirk's livestream, the slipstream Drive gives the Dauntless Class approximately Warp 23, sector space speed 153.1 and flight turn rate set to 3.

Hi. With regards to comparison you can look above, and visit the STO Wiki which provides comparisons to other vessels. However, the Hyper Advanced Quantum Slipstream drive is very nice! It's Warp 33, at 149.9 Sector Space Speed and Flight Turn Rate is set to 3, as you said. I think the time it lasts is also prolonged, as I were able to go from ESD to Eta Eridani Sector Block border without it running out (which I can't do with other vessels), but I don't see it saying that anywhere. Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
    Brad.
    Thanks,
    Brad@ultraunit.

• pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok I happend to have my parser going whilst I did some Japori runs for XP with the dauntless this morning. Lets give you guys some numbers.

These were taken in 5 man groups with randoms, on elite dificulty.

I used a Human Sciece captain with a generalist build (No weapon specialization), no embasy officers, graviton generators rather then particle generators, photon damage type consoles and yes, even a single cannon, so I violated a lot of conventional wisdom.

Hear is how I did:
    Run Alpha

Damage: 3,104,052 (20,421.39 /s)
    Hull: 2,799,421 (18,417.24 /s) [90.19%]
    Shield: 304,631 (2,004.15 /s) [9.81%]
    Max. One-Hit: 9,279 (Gravimetric Photon Torpedo - Spread III)

Heal: 88,593 (582.85 /s)
    Hull Heal: 53,582 (352.51 /s) [60.48%]
    Shield Heal: 35,011 (230.33 /s) [39.52%]

Inc. Damage: 126,740
    Hull: 47,940 [37.83%]
    Shield: 78,800 [62.17%]

Attacks: 3,505 (23.06/s)
    Misses: 10 (Acc: 99.71%)
    Critical Hits: 877 (25.09%)

Run Bravo

Damage: 5,887,408 (23,932.55 /s)
    Hull: 5,167,062 (21,004.32 /s) [87.76%]
    Shield: 720,346 (2,928.24 /s) [12.24%]
    Max. One-Hit: 12,236 (Gravimetric Photon Torpedo - Spread III)

Heal: 111,759 (454.30 /s)
    Hull Heal: 73,089 (297.11 /s) [65.40%]
    Shield Heal: 38,669 (157.19 /s) [34.60%]

Inc. Damage: 226,925
    Hull: 112,081 [49.39%]
    Shield: 114,844 [50.61%]

Attacks: 7,348 (29.87/s)
    Misses: 5 (Acc: 99.93%)
    Critical Hits: 1,717 (23.38%)

Run Charlie

Damage: 4,547,330 (19,857.33 /s)
    Hull: 3,929,660 (17,160.09 /s) [86.42%]
    Shield: 617,670 (2,697.25 /s) [13.58%]
    Max. One-Hit: 25,083 (Gravimetric Photon Torpedo - Spread I)

Heal: 97,968 (427.81 /s)
    Hull Heal: 68,752 (300.23 /s) [70.18%]
    Shield Heal: 29,217 (127.58 /s) [29.82%]

Inc. Damage: 197,229
    Hull: 71,017 [36.01%]
    Shield: 126,212 [63.99%]

Attacks: 6,589 (28.77/s)
    Misses: 4 (Acc: 99.94%)
    Critical Hits: 1,432 (21.75%)

Run Echo

Damage: 5,388,078 (22,734.51 /s)
    Hull: 4,701,740 (19,838.56 /s) [87.26%]
    Shield: 686,339 (2,895.94 /s) [12.74%]
    Max. One-Hit: 39,062 (Quantum Torpedo (Federation Typhoon Class Battleship))

Heal: 286,011 (1,206.80 /s)
    Hull Heal: 71,589 (302.06 /s) [25.03%]
    Shield Heal: 214,422 (904.73 /s) [74.97%]

Inc. Damage: 265,555
    Hull: 123,477 [46.50%]
    Shield: 142,078 [53.50%]

Attacks: 7,081 (29.88/s)
    Misses: 9 (Acc: 99.87%)
    Critical Hits: 1,529 (21.62%)

Run Foxtrot

Damage: 6,032,695 (27,672.91 /s)
    Hull: 5,449,426 (24,997.37 /s) [90.33%]
    Shield: 583,270 (2,675.55 /s) [9.67%]
    Max. One-Hit: 20,427 (Gravimetric Photon Torpedo - Spread I)

Heal: 177,598 (814.67 /s)
    Hull Heal: 134,452 (616.75 /s) [75.71%]
    Shield Heal: 43,145 (197.91 /s) [24.29%]

Inc. Damage: 209,856
    Hull: 97,482 [46.45%]
    Shield: 112,374 [53.55%]

Attacks: 6,340 (29.08/s)
    Misses: 10 (Acc: 99.84%)
    Critical Hits: 1,438 (22.72%)

So there you have it. Between 19-28k DPS depending upon crits. And thats sustainable as long as there are enemies to shoot. You can spike between 60k-70k DPS over 5 second periods or so.

Now someone with the new crafted and fully upgraded gear, using particle gens insted of graviton, using a tactical character and a couple of embasy bridge officers, and DPS speced could do more.

Now a fleet nova, Vesta or Wells can all run similar builds and put out numbers that are not far off but they lack one thing that the Dauntless provides. 'Ionic Turbulance I'. Which adds a substantial damage resistance debuff to everything in your gravity well if you target the same enemy.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited October 2014

P.S. organicmanfred... You can log into your own account to view others builds... :P

I know, I know. But I was working on an ipad with ruined Chrome Browser since IOS8. :D
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've been playing with my new Dauntless for a while now and I have to say it's tons of fun. It's hillariously enjoyable to fly, it's modest size and high turn rate makes it easily maneuverable and the way it handles the content is just so much fun.
    I really grew to like the ship's design and Cryptic have done an excellent job with the model - the Dauntless model in game just looks beautifull and true to the show.

I'm playing her on a new sci. char, so I have a good length to go in order to get proper gear, reps, passives and stuff, but I look forward to building the ship for several roles. I always wellcome a proper science ship with 5 science consoles, that is awesome. That's the beauty of science in this game, you have an experience where you're engaged and not just spacebar mashing. :D Plus I can't wait to get more flavours of secondary deflectors and see what other combiantions I can come up for my Dauntless.

Really, a great little ship. The only thing it's missing is the unique bridge from the show. :)
    I'm also looking forward to the fleet version already, especially if it gets an additional engi. console.

Snipped because of length. :)

Thahks for posting these, I was looking to find sth. like this. It now has me encouraged about the Dauntless' potential to be fully competitive in the new environment.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi. With regards to comparison you can look above, and visit the STO Wiki which provides comparisons to other vessels. However, the Hyper Advanced Quantum Slipstream drive is very nice! It's Warp 33, at 149.9 Sector Space Speed and Flight Turn Rate is set to 3, as you said. I think the time it lasts is also prolonged, as I were able to go from ESD to Eta Eridani Sector Block border without it running out (which I can't do with other vessels), but I don't see it saying that anywhere. Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
    Brad.

When the Hyper Advanced QSD is activated, as you reach the end of a sector block and move to another one what does the Hyper Advanced QSD do?
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Although just personal preference, I would gladly stick with my Tac Vesta or the Wells over the Dauntless.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    raj011 wrote: »
    When the Hyper Advanced QSD is activated, as you reach the end of a sector block and move to another one what does the Hyper Advanced QSD do?
    What all the other QSDs do, end/stop/shutdown and go into cooldown. :(
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What all the other QSDs do, end/stop/shutdown and go into cooldown. :(

Yeah, that's the sad part as with all QSDs. The good part with the Dauntless' one, just like the Vesta one, is that you can travel the entire length of a sector block without running out of slipstream.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sardocian wrote: »

That honor still goes to the Palisade (followed closely by the Wells) :)

I agree with you here 100%.

However, I feel that a more apt comparison would be between the Dauntless and current Fleet Store/ C-Store "fleet grade" offerings. Mostly due to the fact that, like the Dauntless, they readily available or will be common.

The Wells and Palisade are something special, meant to be enjoyed by the lucky few. Or as a reward for the player that works very long and hard to get them. So, they are going to be superior by default.
  • hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Dauntless is a science ship with very sharp teeth if outfitted properly, and is the sci ship many sci-dedicated players like myself have deserved for a long, long time. She's up there with the Wells, and fits in better with the current story time period and technology than a sorely out-of-place timeship.

I can't wait for the Dauntless fleet version, and I'm hoping earnestly that it at least comes with a universal lt. cmdr. seat and one more engineering slot. Of course, if Mr. Rivera is feeling generous and wants to give her the Aquarius treatment, by all means! I'll gladly accept all universal seats along with the fixed Cmdr. sci. ;)

The best part of all, for me as a Trek fan, is that it is a genuine Rick Sternbach design from one of my favorite Voyager episodes, "Hope and Fear", faithfully recreated by Cryptic, and is a joy to fly. Almost perfect, except for the glaring lack of the attractive Dauntless bridge from the episode. I hope the STO artists have the time to make it possible soon. Would love to see an original Dauntless MSD from the gentleman that made the new one for Tuvok's Voyager. Pretty please? :)
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hylanvahr wrote: »
    The Dauntless is a science ship with very sharp teeth if outfitted properly, and is the sci ship many sci-dedicated players like myself have deserved for a long, long time. She's up there with the Wells,

With Ionic turbulence I the Dauntless has surpassed my Wells, Fleet Nova and Vesta in the role of 'Mega Well force multiplyer.'

Any one who thinks there is nothing the Dauntless can do that the Wells cant do better is living in a fantasy world and needs to parse some numbers.
  • leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've got to say the Dauntless handles like a dream! :cool:
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    a find it very difficult to choose the proper boff layout for this ship. from the stats it seems this ship could fit the role of hihgly mobile sci vessel, like the wells/nova/intrepid/palisade, and it's tempting to build a quick reaction space healer but being tac heavy you either need to use patterns or weapon mod skills, and you have fewer sci possibilities than other sci vessels (even less if you want to use intel powers).

the best i've been able to come up with yet, is a kinetic-heavy torp-mine boat with the new delta rep sets and high particle gens for fbp, tbr or gw. that could work niceliy with the proper traits and gear, and the ship seems quick enough to be at the right place at the right time.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=minerdauntless_0
    note that i didn't find some items in the skill planner. i plan the deflector/engine/shield/core to be the new delta rep set, instead of the front beam/torp i want the other delta rep set items, and for science consoles i'd like to have the gel pack and four embassy -threat console with part gens (or other potent part gens consoles), or three of them and a plasmo.
    thoughts?
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dauntless still loses against the Vesta-class, which is more powerful and more versatile ;)
    Though the dauntless is a nice ship, if you dont own the vesta.
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm just leveling up the Intel sci ship and Dauntless to get the starship traits... because I want to keep flying my tac Vesta Class.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Ok... Although you're right with the statistics, I think the ships positive points far outweigh the negative when compared to the Palisade. The ships turn rate is far better, and for a science ship like this its essential, I felt the Voth Palisade was more vulnerable to attacks such as the Borg Plasma Energy Bolt, and similar abilities from other races.

An example is that the maneuverability of the ship definitely gives this the advantage when fighting the Vaadwaur, as they seem to focus their shields to one side, but with the increased maneuverability the ship will be able to quickly move around and fire on the ship from its un-protected facing.

Also, the ships ability to equip an Ensign and Lieutenant Intelligence power is essential for the most recent borg STF, Borg Disconnected Advanced/Elite as liberating the Borg is not optional, and the increased stealth and negative threat is essential. Additionally, the ships Secondary Defelctor is a great help, and it does improve shield healing and exotic damage (combined with mastery passives and consoles) than the Voth Palisade.

Finally its console ability is great, and I've found it suits the ship perfectly on STF's such as No Win Scenario Advanced/Elite and The Battle for Korfez, when used in conjunction with Photonic Fleet.

On one note as well, I think the ship looks amazing, compared to the Palisade. But I'll give it a draw with the Wells class ;).

Although I agree that the Scryer may well be a pizza cutter, I don't think its purpose should be as to play as a 'debuffer'. To me, the fact that the ship can equip cannons suggests it should be used as a Science Destroyer, but I believe the Intelligence powers and some of its traits, as well as its console takes that ability away more.

I appreciate you replying to this, but can I get some feedback on the build please? :D

Thanks,
    Brad.

Voth Palisade is a tank and has great boff seating. When specializations and traits are added, it's a science ability nightmare to those caught on the other end. It can dish massive amounts of damage as a part gens boat and shut down anything in its path as a drain boat.