Install Arc
Options

Delta Rising from the casual's perspective

2»

Comments

• Options
    cyberfoxx01cyberfoxx01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I guess I'm a "casual casual"... Pretty much I tend to login, maybe do a story mission, maybe do a foundry, maybe do something to earn some Dil. If I stay logged longer than that, it's mostly just to chat with my Fleet. In short, my playstyle, skill setup and gear is not min/maxed or top-of-the-line. It's just enough to get me through the solo-PvE content. (Gear is mostly mission rewards, some Fleet stuff, maybe some Rom Rep stuff.) I've only done a single STF in the entire time since I started playing STO. (Which was right after it went F2P)

With that said... I am loving Delta Rising. Advanced is making the story missions so much more fun! The fact that space battles arn't just "1, 2, 3, done" anymore is a welcome change. During one of the Delta patrols I ended up going against a Kazon highjacked Borg cube. For the first time since I started playing STO, I was waiting for pretty much all my skills to come off cooldown. That's never happened before! Before it used to be smack that skill, wait a couple seconds, smack another skill, wait a bit, smack another skill, wait, smack first skill, repeat. Now, I'm having to pretty much hit every skill right after another just to both survive and keep my damage up. (Mind you, I've only really be playing my Tac captain in her T5U Risian Corvette.)

I honestly can't wait for the Foundry to come back up. There are a few that have some "epic battles" and those will be just insane on Advanced now.

From the solo-PvE side, Delta Rising is a hit for me.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    An that's working as intended, unfortunately. Elite is meant to be only for the minority. Advanced though is supposed to be for the majority. Where the devs and the players are in disagreement is when the majority are supposed to be ready.

Ah, yes, sorry - I didn't mean to suggest that I care for Elite. Advanced will do.

However, there is one exception I can readily think of: The battle of Korfez.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Ah, yes, sorry - I didn't mean to suggest that I care for Elite. Advanced will do.

However, there is one exception I can readily think of: The battle of Korfez.

I didn't test that on tribble and haven't got there on live so I don't feel I really know enough about that one. Sorry. Can you give some more specifics what you mean on how it relates to difficulty?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm very much with you on this issue as I like to call myself a hardcore casual, if that makes any sense. I will go through periods of time where I"m hardcore in the game and there each and every day. Eventually, I hit a point where I don't do that, and I'm rarely in the game. So, I end up being a more carefree kind of player, but if I keep feeling that my contributions to the game are useless, I'm going to leave and probably not come back, even though I love it, have a lifetime membership to it, and quite often talk the game up and get others to play it as well.

For me, just running a simple fleet action should not be the Odyssey and the end all of all campaigns. It was a lot of fun the way it was with a whole lot of people contributing and doing what they could and having a whole lot of fun doing so. Now, I lose almost every match. I was in one last night (before the servers crashed and then were brought down for a patch) where we really felt like we were winning, and then we got the "you ran out of time and totally suck" message that said we basically failed the mission. These fleet actions are for people from very low levels all the way to the highest, but they're not playing that way any more. Instead, in order to beat a simple fleet action, you need an entire group that's both upgraded and well geared. And this is on NORMAL.

My fear is that if they don't fix this soon, people are going to just stop playing. Sure, the hard core nonstop players will stay, but the bread and butter of a free to play game is to attract both of them, not just one segment of the population, and right now they're driving away one major part of their demographic. That scares me because I really, really want this game to continue to do well for years to come.

+1

I wish I was better at searching, but in gecko's thread stoleviathan had a great post about this. Failing for running out of time is really not fun.

I think "keep the nanite sphere away from the transformer" is a better way to add tension to an objective because it gives us choices. We can nuke the transformer fast sure, but we can also use control powers on the sphere to buy more time. A team with enough control and the ability to use it skillfully can be as slow as they want.msame with the probes in khitomer or for a complex variation the new collective spheres in Borg disconnected.

An artificial "you took too long, loser" is just not cool. Stoleviathan pointed out in his post "who wouldn't be faster if they could? Does anyone ever deliberately take longer to win?" The timer is really a badly designed mechanic.
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Isn't the best way to remove power creep to remove the incentive for players to need it?

The new content absolutely needs as much power as players can throw at it so only hard core folks will do it as casuals like me will just not have the time to do it and so gradually we lose incentives to actually support the game as well. After all, what is the point of throwing money at something you can never keep up with?

A perfect example of this is The Secret World. I have a lifetime membership of that game but now never play it all and certainly never spend money on it. The reason is that I cannot spend enough time on it to be able to level a new weapon to the 'end game' levels in a reasonable amount of time. This means I cannot get access to later stages of the game, and the store is releasing expansions only for the later stages of the game.

The above is a perfect example of how a company policy can de-motivate a player from spending money by adding new content. Please can somebody at Cryptic realise that us more casual folks need to be able to have a feeling of progression or we will just move on and support other projects elsewhere. (Yes I know the equipment upgrade is supposed to partially allow casuals to progress, but the main stuff thats desired - rep gear - needs rewards that only comes from advanced and elite content)

Personally I am not likely to do that as I will probably just do the existing old-50 content for eternity with only occasional forays into the new content. Your DR development time is pretty much wasted on me as I just cannot grind enough to be able to enjoy it.

I'm in the same boat as you and I also have a lifetime for TSW - hell was a F&F alpha through release tester and GM post release (secret) but I gave up since I had no time or interest after the development focus changed. I only had time for one MMO so I chose STO.

Now I'm ready to walk away from MMOs altogether as long as the F2P model is the dominate one in the industry. I have lots of money and I spend it easily and I feel like I'm paying for someone to hit me in the head all the time... Why is this so???? :confused::eek:

I try to support the game despite a monumental dislike for the whole business practices the model is based on. I guess to people in the industry my money - a lot I might add, tells them I really support the business model even though I was forced to participate in it with game conversions.

Maybe I need to rethink my position and just stop spending all together and go back to bars and nightclubs for fun and entertainment. At least in those places I dont feel so abused - sad really when you think about it... :o
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Haven't tested the STFs yet... but the fact that I had to lower the general PvE Difficulty from Elite (Previously was the right amount of challenge, loose focus and I popped, concentrated and managed everything) to only Normal...

Not inherently because I died to often... but simply because having to fight those ******n Kazon Carriers for up to five minutes because they got too many HP isn't even remotely funny...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The only reason for these changes is money. That's what I conclude anyway.

If I would have to guess, I would guess that Cryptic just wants casual to spend a few hundred $ to buy zen. This way the casual players get access to T6 ships and items they can upgrade to mk 14 with dilithium (zen).

An equal goal would be to drive away casual as they rarely spend a lot of money and only cost money (server resources). Less casual = less running cost. With the recent changes they probably are managing to squeeze out more money from the regular spenders and are that way even increasing their revenue.

I get the impressions they just want casuals to go away or pay (more) to play.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I doubt you can equate being casual with not spending money.

If anything possibly the opposite, because they don't have time they spend more money to buy time - which is or at least was the premise of dil-zen in sto.

I think player profiles are way more complex than that but overall I will agree that it is a minority paying for a majority but this time around not really hugely important because I believe the expansion killed it for more or less everyone.

If you spend lots of time or lots of money, both, or neither, it's ruined for everyone in my opinion.

As far as casual players, who don't look for a challenge or upgrade the ship a whole it's of course exponentially worse.

And I actually thought it made sense before that since this is a star trek game there has to be a place for people who are star trek fans before they are gamers.

I always thought this was one of the key strengths of the game in fact
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    If I would have to guess, I would guess that Cryptic just wants casual to spend a few hundred $ to buy zen. This way the casual players get access to T6 ships and items they can upgrade to mk 14 with dilithium (zen).

Just look at the forums the last few days.

We have people complaining that they're getting destroyed, and that they're being forced to upgrade to T5-Us and T6s. Yet at the same time, we have people complaining that they were ripped off because they're getting destroyed in their shiny new T6 ships. Then we have people countering that they're doing fine.

So no, the increase in difficulty doesn't force people to upgrade. It's just the unskilled and unknowledgeable people who think they can pay to win. A bad player with T6 ships and full Mk 14s will still be bad.

This is not a pay2win situation, it's a learn2play situation.

Post-STF-revamp Pre-DR STO was basically the only MMO that didn't have a skill wall, where you can just faceroll everything, and you never had to learn to play properly. Even in Cryptic's latest MMO, Neverwinter, you can only faceroll the first 3 dungeons. After that (and not even half-way to level cap) there's a massive difficulty jump where you must learn the basics of your role, and must coordinate with your team to succeed. Subsequent dungeons only increase the amount of teamwork and mastery of your role necessary for success.

I have a friend I introduced to STO roughly 3 months ago, who played for 1 month and was at level 50 blasting through eSTFs in an ACR. What other MMO lets you dominate all PvE content in one month of play?

Before the STFs were revamped, that was the skill wall. Where coordination and knowing how to fly your ship was important. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was not up to par for those - I acknowledge that it was all on me. Looks to me like many people have been coddled for too long by weaksauce content, and can't acknowledge that they are not up to par.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    I doubt you can equate being casual with not spending money.

If anything possibly the opposite, because they don't have time they spend more money to buy time - which is or at least was the premise of dil-zen in sto.

I think player profiles are way more complex than that but overall I will agree that it is a minority paying for a majority but this time around not really hugely important because I believe the expansion killed it for more or less everyone.

If you spend lots of time or lots of money, both, or neither, it's ruined for everyone in my opinion.

As far as casual players, who don't look for a challenge or upgrade the ship a whole it's of course exponentially worse.

And I actually thought it made sense before that since this is a star trek game there has to be a place for people who are star trek fans before they are gamers.

I always thought this was one of the key strengths of the game in fact
    I think that they zig-zag toward and away from that goal (being friendly to those who are fans first gamers second). Limiting traits to four at once was good, it took off pressure to get everything, and the commendations that cut rep in half for your second character too. Then they add the crafting with nothing to take the pressure off or ease a second character. Getting a second event ship after one day was brilliant, then they make the effort to get a first dyson ship massively higher than any previous event.

I'm not sure if it's two-forward one back, just treading water, or one forward-two back, but they certainly need to get it together a little better. Because you're right, these people need to feel welcomed.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Tools to help the casual gamer:
    Upgrading fleet Mk 10 to Mk 12 costs less than buying mk12.
    No need to upgrade fleet holdings except for ships
    Daily reputation bonus marks make a normal queue reward more than old elite before the daily box.
    Daily/hourly rep projects give mk12 purple gear and BNP/voth implant/etc for free
    Rep project sponsorship tokens halve cost for alts
    Reputation removed random nature of queue reward system
    Event ships of fleet quality
    Event ships for one day effort after the first is unlocked
    Event ships get free upgrade to t5ufleet status
    Lockbox/lobi gear unbound
    Lobi give away events
    Annual item giveaway events, about $100us each time
    All missions scale to level, never go "grey"
    Replay favorite content at will
    Sidekick to join friends of different power/experience
    Good set items added to mission rewards, no dil/zen/$ needed
    Foundry, and foundry dil reward system
    Free purple doffs built into system (explore, exp tier 4, etc)

Delta didn't take any of that away, and added a few. As a casual, I find the expansion a success except for HP scaling in solo missions.

In a forum plop squished full of gloom, this post is jam packed full of shiny
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    With that said... I am loving Delta Rising. Advanced is making the story missions so much more fun! The fact that space battles arn't just "1, 2, 3, done" anymore is a welcome change.

I didn't really notice a change in regular missions. In space combat difficulty slider mostly just increases enemy health and you might want to avoid those high yield torpedos, etc. Ground combat is a lot more lethal. E.g. walking into enemy chroniton mines will kill you. That was true before the DR too.

That's not what the issue is though. The jump from normal to advanced queued content is a bit too much. Pugs can clear cure space normal in 3-4 minutes but still aren't ready for the advanced. The choice shouldn't be either way too easy content or too hard content. Gearing up is going to be really boring.
  • Options
    archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've been a casual since F2P.
    For the last year, I've been at lvl50 at all my characters. I only played for about once a week of actual gameplay while I logged in once every few days for Doff missions. One of my character is Tier 5 at all pre DR Rep but I haven't done any Rep with my other characters.

The new Advance is terribly difficult. I've seen very powerful ships failing at Advance within five minutes of gameplay.
    I remember in the olde days when I was flying a Lunar Class vessel with only set gears from feature episodes and mostly mark X weapons playing elite. I died a lot but still managed to beat the mission. It was frustrating but felt good after they were beaten. There were many times I've played STF Elite where we managed to complete the optional while I sustained over ten ship injuries and I had to make repairs ingame with components. The olde PvE Elite was punishing but I never felt impossible. Now, the new Advance feels impossible.
    Please change the wording in the mission objective so the Optional is no longer listed as Optional in advance.
    Instead of just ramping up the HP of enemies or more of them, give us newer challenge. An example, Infected Space, for Advance, players will have to hack into the two Nanite nodes at opposite sides of the gate at the same time in order to disable an impenetrable shield before they can destroy the nodes. That's a clever challenge.
    We've seen many TV episodes of using cleverness to claim victories over raw power. The potential for team work in PvE cue is endless, but the dev just give us shooting fest with extreme HP instead of genuine challenge with team work. If they are going to keep the over powered enemies, okay, but give us another option to win aside from killing everything. Again, with Borg as example, the new Advance Borg is basically the Borg we've seen on TV, almost immortal. Give the players the option to distract the Borg, plant a virus, protect an NPC fleet setting up a special anti-Borg bomb.
    At the very least, if nothing else, make the Advance or Elite a 10 player PvE to even the odds.

Speaking of old PvE. I feel bad for newer players trying to catch up to Rep. Only a few PvE cue has people in it. Newer players will never experience many other PvE missions because there is no one in line. Anything involving Tholian is empty. All but Infected Space for STF is empty. I'm still trying to get Infected Ground elite optional finish so I can unlock my last MACO outfit, but that's impossible now due to lack of players instead of the crazy difficulties. This is much worse if you're a new casual players, they'll never finish any of the Rep.
    While new contents are good, Cryptic needs to give people reasons to revisit old PvE missions.

Story wise, Delta Rising's grindfest might work well for casual. I've been playing the expansion's story for the last few days because I have more free time lately and I felt the pacing was terrible because of all the grinding I need to get to the next episode. However, I do see if I play on and off with the various PvE options and adventure zones, the grinding would feel less obvious.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I didn't test that on tribble and haven't got there on live so I don't feel I really know enough about that one. Sorry. Can you give some more specifics what you mean on how it relates to difficulty?

That mission is, to my knowledge, the only Elite-only PvE queue in DR. All the others have a Normal and/or Advanced version.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I came back recently. The only thing I don't like from Delta Rising is that suddenly all enemy ships have a completely unbalanced amount of health. By 'unbalanced' I mean it's broken the game mechanics. I don't even bother trying to get good torpedo shots through downed shield facings any more, because it's a pointless effort when you're not a forumgoer who can pile through the place for some DPS squeezing advice. Dropping four quantum torpedoes into the bare hull of an enemy escort (mysteriously vastly more powerful in every conceivable way than battleships, another balance fail) just makes it angry.

My carriers just settle into tiresome tanking as the enemy ships get ever so slowly beaten down. Empire Defense against the Borg is making me cry because Spheres. Just.....Spheres. They're a-holes, and they won't die. Though Mogai can also shove it in their green blooded....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sitheachsitheach Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The reduction of dilithium rewards is callous money grubbing. With insult to injury, insane hp on the npcs.

Good faith. What's that?
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. ~ Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I wish there was places to play this like how it was before the horrible update, like how there were old uo servers before the devs douched it up. I hate this game now. Everyone I know seems to have quit but one guy i think. It's just a relic like champions online.

The way it was, was amazing and fun just needed more stuff not this forced upgrading TRIBBLE and level 60 and the difficult and all this additional grinding..
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vestereng wrote: »

The game does have a place for star trek fans.

It's called Ten Forward, where you are allowed to whine about JJTrek and Neelix and Roddenberry to the heart's content.

Because that's what being a Trek fan is. Complaining about how much you hate the series.

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP