test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Surgical Sniper"

szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
This is a build I've been messing with that not only makes a strong case for Surgical Strikes, but really shows some new metagame potential and I figured I would share it and see how you guys can improve/adapt it.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=qibsurgicalsniper_0

Last Eng console is the Weapon-Siphon, Uni is Tactical (although I could see some reshuffle to get all 4 teams going with Aux2Bat).

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to shape it into an Aux2Bat setup, but as that's something I generally try to avoid, it's certainly not my specialty.

Tractor Mines are moreso a point-defense system, as that is one weakness of the ship I couldn't really find a nice solution to(I could see swapping DEM for EWP, but that detracts from the focus of the build itself).

Spacial Charge Launcher is mostly just to burn down bigger targets/combo with the Projector; Projected Singularity is there to put stuff in the optimal range/direction of those forward beam banks.

This build already hits like a truck, but I'm sure it still has potential to go even further. (Finally, a multiple DBB 'answer' to CRF DHCs!)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    This is a build I've been messing with that not only makes a strong case for Surgical Strikes, but really shows some new metagame potential and I figured I would share it and see how you guys can improve/adapt it.

Last Eng console is the Weapon-Siphon, Uni is Tactical (although I could see some reshuffle to get all 4 teams going with Aux2Bat).

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to shape it into an Aux2Bat setup, but as that's something I generally try to avoid, it's certainly not my specialty.

Tractor Mines are moreso a point-defense system, as that is one weakness of the ship I couldn't really find a nice solution to(I could see swapping DEM for EWP, but that detracts from the focus of the build itself).

Spacial Charge Launcher is mostly just to burn down bigger targets/combo with the Projector; Projected Singularity is there to put stuff in the optimal range/direction of those forward beam banks.

This build already hits like a truck, but I'm sure it still has potential to go even further. (Finally, a multiple DBB 'answer' to CRF DHCs!)

If you wanna run the qib as a DBB/SS build, use rear turrets. They'll fire foward, and be affected by SS. Other than that, it's not bad, though Vulnerability Locators are better than exploiters.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »

I don't think enough people actually know enough about what SS does to comment on your build.

You can use a really nice DCE/Aux2ID build on that ship, it's superb.

With a tactical captain sometimes I find a Warp Core engineer is nice for the occasional power boost.

If you PVP you'll want an intelligence team in the Intel/Sci. Regardless, PVP or PVE you can put in at least one over-ride fail-safes and enjoy the crazy power boosts.

And correct. Exploiters are the right choice. I mean I'd love to know where you got SS3 but I'd say that any math you could run would show that 10 to 30 percent increase in crit rate needs to be balanced by severity, and not more crit rate.

Totally not going to get into the rest of what I see in the planner. Just gonna say that SS is going to be very popular.

And likely very misunderstood.

Cheers.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you wanna run the qib as a DBB/SS build, use rear turrets. They'll fire foward, and be affected by SS. Other than that, it's not bad, though Vulnerability Locators are better than exploiters.

Surgical Strikes more than takes care of the Crit rate - the Exploiters are for maximizing the damage output per volley(you can count the number of volleys on one hand for anything smaller than a battleship). Furthermore, as strange as it may seem for a slow-firing build, this setup absolutely melts the Vaadwaur with that massive accuracy bonus(turns out their ships are actually 'relatively' fragile underneath all their defense value).

Turrets.. are an option I suppose, but I really don't like how they disrupt power flow on DBB builds(especially one that's about making every shot hit as hard as possible). The AP Omni is bad enough, but that 10% damage Bonus is too good to pass up.

@thissler
    SS3 is moreso because this is a working theorycraft build based on the Eclipse I'm using as a testbed for it(it'll be a while until I get around to making some CrtDx3 DBBs on the KDF side, and I'm not sure if I even want the playstyle for any of those characters). The Qib is a superior choice for obvious reasons(superior stats, battlecloak), but it does work on either Intel Battlecruiser.

My Fed Sci(who actually doesn't have any points in Attack Patterns) I've been testing it on has been 2-'shot'ing DR frigates and dropping cruisers in 3-5 volleys. I'm sure a Tac with points in Attack Patterns could cut that down to half, if not fewer.

I tinkered with using Ionic Turbulence for further damage resistance reduction, but I found DEM to be more reliable. I'm also curious how Elachi DBBs would stack up to AP, but I don't even want to think about how expensive that would be.