test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need DPS channel people to help.

opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
So the new Advanced content is rather difficult, and I am having a hard time carrying potato teams through Elite STFs. I know for a fact that this build I have does about 21k DPS consistently, but I would like to have at least 30k to carry in Advanced.

Assuming I am an Engineer, is there any way to get this ship up to doing 30k?
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=engineert5udps_0

My only build guideline is no Zemok, since he is worth a King's ransom.
Post edited by opo98 on

Comments

• Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    It's possible, sure.

Here's how I'd go about it.

A new bridge officer layout:

Lt. Universal (tactical)

TT1, APB1

Lt. Cmdr. Tactical

TT1, APB1, FAW3

Ensign Tactical:

TT1

Cmdr. Engineering:

EPTS1, EPTW2, RSP1, DEM3

Lt. Engineering:

EPTS1, EPTW2

That is the highest dps non-zemok/non-drake (since if zemok's out of your price range, dce's may be as well) setup for the ship, however, most people don't like the ship without a science officer. If that's you, then the following (A2B) setup is as follows:

Lt. Universal (Science)

PH1, ST2

Lt. Cmdr. Tactical: (I'm aware this could be FAW1, APB1, APO1, however, the below configuration is a higher dps configuration that that).

TT1, APB1, FAW3

Ensign Tactical:

TT1

Cmdr. Engineering:

ET1, A2B1, ETPW3, DEM3

EPTS1, A2B1

And requires 3 blue or higher quality technicians on active space duty.

If neither of those setups are ones that appeal to you, this one may:

Lt. Universal (science)

PH1, HE2

Lt. Cmdr. Tactical

TT1, FAW2, FAW3

Ensign Tactical:

TT1

Cmdr. Engineering:

EPTS1, EPTW2, RSP1, DEM3

Lt. Engineering:

EPTS1, EPTW2

While slightly lower than the two above, this will still work well.

Secondly, Gear:

Ditch the assimilated 2-set. It's time has come and gone. I would run the CC deflector, and if you're in one of the above configurations that uses attack patterns, use the romulan engines, otherwise, I'd use the Nukara Engines and Shield.

Engineering Consoles: Needs more universals. There's no point in stacking neutroniums 4 deep, not even if your goal is tanking. I'd slot the Zero-Point energy conduit, the Proton Particle Stabilizer (and slot the Experimental Proton Weapon on the ship as well), and the nukara particle converter, and consider moving one of your universals out of a science station into an engineering console to slot an embassy flow cap -Th +Pla.

Upgrading your gear's mark and rarity will help as well.

I'd comment on your traits and skill tree, but I can't see those.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It's possible, sure.

Here's how I'd go about it.

A new bridge officer layout:

Lt. Universal (tactical)

TT1, APB1

Lt. Cmdr. Tactical

TT1, APB1, FAW3

Ensign Tactical:

TT1

Cmdr. Engineering:

EPTS1, EPTW2, RSP1, DEM3

Lt. Engineering:

EPTS1, EPTW2

That is the highest dps non-zemok/non-drake (since if zemok's out of your price range, dce's may be as well) setup for the ship, however, most people don't like the ship without a science officer. If that's you, then the following (A2B) setup is as follows:

Lt. Universal (Science)

PH1, ST2

Lt. Cmdr. Tactical: (I'm aware this could be FAW1, APB1, APO1, however, the below configuration is a higher dps configuration that that).

TT1, APB1, FAW3

Ensign Tactical:

TT1

Cmdr. Engineering:

ET1, A2B1, ETPW3, DEM3

EPTS1, A2B1

And requires 3 blue or higher quality technicians on active space duty.

If neither of those setups are ones that appeal to you, this one may:

Lt. Universal (science)

PH1, HE2

Lt. Cmdr. Tactical

TT1, FAW2, FAW3

Ensign Tactical:

TT1

Cmdr. Engineering:

EPTS1, EPTW2, RSP1, DEM3

Lt. Engineering:

EPTS1, EPTW2

While slightly lower than the two above, this will still work well.

Secondly, Gear:

Ditch the assimilated 2-set. It's time has come and gone. I would run the CC deflector, and if you're in one of the above configurations that uses attack patterns, use the romulan engines, otherwise, I'd use the Nukara Engines and Shield.

Engineering Consoles: Needs more universals. There's no point in stacking neutroniums 4 deep, not even if your goal is tanking. I'd slot the Zero-Point energy conduit, the Proton Particle Stabilizer (and slot the Experimental Proton Weapon on the ship as well), and the nukara particle converter, and consider moving one of your universals out of a science station into an engineering console to slot an embassy flow cap -Th +Pla.

Upgrading your gear's mark and rarity will help as well.

I'd comment on your traits and skill tree, but I can't see those.

Thanks for that. My skill layout I'm not too worried about since I basically copy pasted it from sarcasmdetector. A question I have though is why 2xAPB1 and FAW 3 does more than 2xFAW 2 and APB2? Also, what is drake?
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Minor error, I believe one of the TT1s on his first layout should be FAW1. So two FAWs and two TTs, instead of one FAW and three TTs. Which means the rotation is FAW3/APB1 and FAW1/APB1.

Dragon builds refer to having two pairs of different EPtX abilities, such as 2x EPtS and 2x EPtW. That allows both EPtX abilities to be constantly active at once.

Drake builds refer to having two different EPtX abilities, such as 1x EPtS and 1x EPtW, using Damage Control Engineer DOffs to reduce their cooldowns so they're constantly active at once. This frees up Engineering ability slots (or the station entirely).
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, lol.

We need a Science channel, or an MMORPG channel to help the dps league noobs kearn how to acually play the game, since they cant seem to grasp the new difficulty with their faceroll faw-ps tactics.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    pulserazor wrote: »
    No, lol.

We need a Science channel, or an MMORPG channel to help the dps league noobs kearn how to acually play the game, since they cant seem to grasp the new difficulty with their faceroll faw-ps tactics.

I mean, I really hate to break it to you, but the content as of right now says that 15k DPS is the bare minimum for Advanced.

So this isn't really dictated by some evil DPS channel overlord looking to ruin your playstyle, it is actually the game telling you that. Unfortunate that it may be, it is the norm now. All you can do really is adapt.

If that means that everyone has to switch to FAW/CSV DPS boats, then so be it. I'm grateful these DPS people exist, because otherwise we wouldn't have the resources to achieve numbers like 15k DPS and the game would be completely unplayable.

Until the devs nerf these missions, this is how it has to be.

Now, did you have something to add to the significance of this thread, or was that comment meant to intentionally derail it?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    What the heck does science even have to do with an FACR? The thing gets two Sci abilities at most, it can't even field a Grav Well.
  • Options
    ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    opo98 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. My skill layout I'm not too worried about since I basically copy pasted it from sarcasmdetector. A question I have though is why 2xAPB1 and FAW 3 does more than 2xFAW 2 and APB2? Also, what is drake?

BFAW3 has been extremely powerful lately. Using 2-3 energy weapon officers and only 1 BFAW, namely BFAW3, should allow you to get more DPS than 2xBFAW2 with 2xAPB2. If you don't have the energy weapon officers, then use BFAW3 and BFAW1, just work up to getting energy weapon officers to reduce beam special attacks and switch when you can.

As for sarcasmdetector, I swear that guy could somehow make a miranda get 10k DPS. So if he has any advice on your build, copy it. If you don't have the stuff to make it work yet, set it as a goal and get down to grinding whatever you can to make that build if you want to use that ship.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I would adapt this http://www.kaysvaultofstuff.com/maximum-damage-avenger.html to fir the boff setup of the FACR, it wouldn't be as effective but it'd certainly work.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I would adapt this http://www.kaysvaultofstuff.com/maximum-damage-avenger.html to fir the boff setup of the FACR, it wouldn't be as effective but it'd certainly work.

That build is lacking the CC Deflector, if it wants to do damage.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OP - what jarvisandalfred said. Really, not much more to say apart from another vote for CC Deflector/Rom Engine combo over your Borg 2 piece - Borg is a nice proc, don't get us wrong, but for what you want CC/Rom is better. (Or Nukara 2 Piece if you don't want to use that)

APB1+BFAW3 works out better on damage output, hence why it is recommended, but BFAW2+APB2 will still work, just not as effectively.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Annoyingly, on my Phantom I'm stuck with FAW2 because we can't trade the DR Pack Intel BOffs, and I'm an Eng. :`(
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As long as you're theorycrafting, see if you can get my 5 mkXI beams and 1 mkXII DBB bank upto 8kDPS using 3 tac consoles and an ens and lt tac seat please.
    :D
    I've got no T2 spire yet, and no upgrade to my beams possible thru the bugged upgrade system.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    As long as you're theorycrafting, see if you can get my 5 mkXI beams and 1 mkXII DBB bank upto 8kDPS using 3 tac consoles and an ens and lt tac seat please.
    :D
    I've got no T2 spire yet, and no upgrade to my beams possible thru the bugged upgrade system.

What ship is this?

The first problem I see is that you have 5 beam arrays and one DBB. Should be using all arrays so all weapons are on target.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    That build is lacking the CC Deflector, if it wants to do damage.

What do you mean "lacking the CC Deflector, if it wants to do damage", if it wants to do damage then it wants the extra targeting sensors that the Axion gives.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    What do you mean "lacking the CC Deflector, if it wants to do damage", if it wants to do damage then it wants the extra targeting sensors that the Axion gives.

You haven't looked at a Counter Command Deflector, have you?

Counter Command Deflector:

+5% Accuracy

+8.8 Starship Energy Weapons Training
    (Improves Energy Weapon Damage)

+17.5 Starship Projectile Weapons Training
    (Improves Kinetic Weapon Damage)

+17.5 Starship Structural Integrity
    (Improves Ship Hit Points)

+8.8 Starship Shield Systems
    (Improves Shield Hit Points)

+17.5 Starship Inertial Dampeners
    (Resists Hold, Disable, Knock, Repel, and Slow)

+26.2 Starship Particle Generator
    (Improves Exotic Damage)

Axion Fleet:

Elite Fleet Axion Deflector Array Mk XII (+17.5 Starship Sensors, +17.5 Skill: Starship Maneuvers, +17.5 Skill: Starship Targeting Systems)

[Flow] [Ins] [ENG] [SciCdr]
    [Inert] [Stealth] [Grav] [SciCdr]
    [PartG] [CoSys] [SsD] [SciCdr]

The Axion Fleet's accuracy bonus is just over half what the CC Deflector offers, and CC offers loads of extra Tac boosts on top of its better Accuracy boost.

The Fleet Deflectors do not compare to the Counter Command Deflector as far as DPS is concerned.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    What ship is this?

The first problem I see is that you have 5 beam arrays and one DBB. Should be using all arrays so all weapons are on target.

T5 Kamarag, the DBB is the Hyper tetryon BB (with CC tet booster) and the rest are the hybrid tets (for the 10% proc chance). Am currently running dyson deflector (for the GW boost)/dyson engine and obelisk core but will likely swap it out for the KHG engine/shield and a CC def and core. Am also running 1 F/R bio photon but am considering the rom uber plasma for the rear as my grav rating is about 40 and a waste of the grav photons if I buy them. I'm running about a 150 exotic rating ATM with this config but even with an 80K spike from the torps I can't average more than 3.3ish kdps. My total damage output for a typical estf (preDA) was around 4 mil.

Any advice ?

I can drop a eTAC cubes shields in one pass and keep them down but I just can't put any real hurt on him, and can keep a bunch of spheres bunched up but it's pointless now that their hitpoints are so much improved. I really don't want to go full healer but looks like I'm moving to the Chel Grett for a while so I can grind the mastery levels till a decent T6 KDF cruiser gets made.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    /Snip

*Kicks self*

Of course, Counter Command... Sorry, I was thinking Crowd Control...

*Kicks self more*
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    *Kicks self*

Of course, Counter Command... Sorry, I was thinking Crowd Control...

*Kicks self more*

No worries, easy enough mistake to make. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    You haven't looked at a Counter Command Deflector, have you?

Counter Command Deflector:

+5% Accuracy

+8.8 Starship Energy Weapons Training
    (Improves Energy Weapon Damage)

+17.5 Starship Projectile Weapons Training
    (Improves Kinetic Weapon Damage)

+17.5 Starship Structural Integrity
    (Improves Ship Hit Points)

+8.8 Starship Shield Systems
    (Improves Shield Hit Points)

+17.5 Starship Inertial Dampeners
    (Resists Hold, Disable, Knock, Repel, and Slow)

+26.2 Starship Particle Generator
    (Improves Exotic Damage)

Axion Fleet:

Elite Fleet Axion Deflector Array Mk XII (+17.5 Starship Sensors, +17.5 Skill: Starship Maneuvers, +17.5 Skill: Starship Targeting Systems)

[Flow] [Ins] [ENG] [SciCdr]
    [Inert] [Stealth] [Grav] [SciCdr]
    [PartG] [CoSys] [SsD] [SciCdr]

The Axion Fleet's accuracy bonus is just over half what the CC Deflector offers, and CC offers loads of extra Tac boosts on top of its better Accuracy boost.

The Fleet Deflectors do not compare to the Counter Command Deflector as far as DPS is concerned.

I'm looking for a quote right now...

Here is is with context

"they are equal to me, so it's situational. the Axiom for flowcap and "sciency" builds is slightly better.
    on a ship like this you can swap the 2 deflectors and not notice any difference."

Sarcasmdetector's words.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Minor error, I believe one of the TT1s on his first layout should be FAW1. So two FAWs and two TTs, instead of one FAW and three TTs. Which means the rotation is FAW3/APB1 and FAW1/APB1.

Dragon builds refer to having two pairs of different EPtX abilities, such as 2x EPtS and 2x EPtW. That allows both EPtX abilities to be constantly active at once.

Drake builds refer to having two different EPtX abilities, such as 1x EPtS and 1x EPtW, using Damage Control Engineer DOffs to reduce their cooldowns so they're constantly active at once. This frees up Engineering ability slots (or the station entirely).

Yes, thanks for the catch, and that's a good description.

[Here's what I generally link people asking about drake/dragon/A2B builds](http://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/dragon_drake_aux2batt)

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm looking for a quote right now...

Here is is with context

"they are equal to me, so it's situational. the Axiom for flowcap and "sciency" builds is slightly better.
    on a ship like this you can swap the 2 deflectors and not notice any difference."

Sarcasmdetector's words.

They are both good deflectors - I just think in context of a DPS Avenger as posted about, and what the OP wants, CC would be a better choice. :)

For a Sci build, Axion for sure.
  • Options
    giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Uhm... no. Your build is quite wrong...
    You will need for high DPS 2x aux2batt 1 with 3 purple technicians, the cc deflector + rommie engine for extra Attack Pattern damage, and fleet core.
    Also a cutting beam is useful.
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• Options
    edited October 2014
    giotariz wrote: »
    You will need for high DPS 2x aux2batt 1 with 3 purple technicians

No. The Avenger does not need an A2B build, and should do less DPS with one.

Due to the way the damage formula works and the different locations of the relative buffs, the Obelisk core results in a bigger net boost than four [AMP] systems.

Of course, if you go A2B that means only three [AMP] systems, which is one reason A2B is not optimal. Other reasons include losing out on the T4 Nukara traits, as well as losing a Rom Tac BOff with SRO.

Loaded up with 3 Tactical BOffs (with SRO, obviously), you already have 6 Tac abilities. A2B is unnecessary and slightly detrimental if all you want is damage. I think it tanks a bit better, though jarvisandalfred would know more about that than me.
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    T5 Kamarag, the DBB is the Hyper tetryon BB (with CC tet booster) and the rest are the hybrid tets (for the 10% proc chance). Am currently running dyson deflector (for the GW boost)/dyson engine and obelisk core but will likely swap it out for the KHG engine/shield and a CC def and core. Am also running 1 F/R bio photon but am considering the rom uber plasma for the rear as my grav rating is about 40 and a waste of the grav photons if I buy them. I'm running about a 150 exotic rating ATM with this config but even with an 80K spike from the torps I can't average more than 3.3ish kdps. My total damage output for a typical estf (preDA) was around 4 mil.

See, now the Kamarag looks like it does better with A2B, since otherwise we'd be limited to just 3 Tactical abilities. It also has an excess amount of Engineering slots. However, that would nerf your Gravity Well, so we shouldn't.

I advise you to toss the torpedoes entirely. Tetryon is a perfectly good energy type (especially as Tetryon boosting consoles would also boost the T5 Nukara reputation ability, making your Refracting Tetryon Cascade do mucho damage), so since you already have the Hyper-Dual Refracting Tetryon Beam Bank I'd keep it. Load up with Tetryon arrays on the other slots. Kinetic Cutting Beam aft, though.

Not sure of your budget. Going to assume no Leech, no Zemok (who's irrelevant to my suggestion anyway), no Marion. I actually recommend the CC Deflector with the Nukara Engine/Shields. CC core is fine, but if you can afford it I'd get a Fleet core with [AMP] and [W->A].

Get 2 purple Conn DOffs (or a combination of lower color ones, so long as you can get Tac Team to ~15s cooldown) and 2-3 Blue-Purple Damage Control Engineer DOffs.

Lt Tac: TT1/FAW2
    Ens Tac: FAW1
    Cdr Eng: EPtS1/DEM1/EPtW3/A2SIF3
    Lt Eng: ET1/DEM1
    LtCdr Sci: HE1/TSS2/GW1

Prefer having a Grav Scientist DOff so that Grav Well will spawn more Grav Wells.

This gives you TT1, EPtS1, EPtW3, and A2SIF3 cycling all the time. You'd alternate between FAW2 and FAW1 every 20s, and be firing DEM1 every minute. If you get ahold of Marion, that'll improve your damage even more. You have ET, A2SIF, and HE as hull heals. TSS2 as a shield heal.

For slightly less damage (around 1k-2k less?) but hilariously more durability, toss DEM:
    Cdr Eng: ET1/EPtS2/EPtW3/A2SIF3
    Lt Eng: ET1/RSP1

You now have ET1 firing every 15s, along with A2SIF3 and TT1. Also EPtS2 instead of EPtS1. With RSP1 as a backup shield heal. You're pretty much indestructible, while throwing out FAW2/1 every 20s. If you have a 6th DOff slot, get a Deflector DOff to reduce GW's cooldown. (So 2x Conn, 2x DCE, 1 Grav Sci, 1 Def Off, all purples.)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Avenger works better without A2B for all out DPS.

My dual A2B Avenger (before DR) made 20-25k DPS

All out DPS Non A2B made 25-37k DPS.

Much squishier though of course.

For sure. I'm actually a tank main, and I got my drake tank Avenger up to 19-21k (on an engi) before DR hit. I don't get why you'd want to use A2B, other than the fact that it can slot it.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I advise you to toss the torpedoes entirely. Tetryon is a perfectly good energy type (especially as Tetryon boosting consoles would also boost the T5 Nukara reputation ability, making your Refracting Tetryon Cascade do mucho damage), so since you already have the Hyper-Dual Refracting Tetryon Beam Bank I'd keep it. Load up with Tetryon arrays on the other slots. Kinetic Cutting Beam aft, though.

Not sure of your budget. Going to assume no Leech, no Zemok (who's irrelevant to my suggestion anyway), no Marion. I actually recommend the CC Deflector with the Nukara Engine/Shields. CC core is fine, but if you can afford it I'd get a Fleet core with [AMP] and [W->A].

Get 2 purple Conn DOffs (or a combination of lower color ones, so long as you can get Tac Team to ~15s cooldown) and 2-3 Blue-Purple Damage Control Engineer DOffs.

Lt Tac: TT1/FAW2
    Ens Tac: FAW1
    Cdr Eng: EPtS1/DEM1/EPtW3/A2SIF3
    Lt Eng: ET1/DEM1
    LtCdr Sci: HE1/TSS2/GW1

Prefer having a Grav Scientist DOff so that Grav Well will spawn more Grav Wells.

This gives you TT1, EPtS1, EPtW3, and A2SIF3 cycling all the time. You'd alternate between FAW2 and FAW1 every 20s, and be firing DEM1 every minute. If you get ahold of Marion, that'll improve your damage even more. You have ET, A2SIF, and HE as hull heals. TSS2 as a shield heal.

For slightly less damage (around 1k-2k less?) but hilariously more durability, toss DEM:
    Cdr Eng: ET1/EPtS2/EPtW3/A2SIF3
    Lt Eng: ET1/RSP1

You now have ET1 firing every 15s, along with A2SIF3 and TT1. Also EPtS2 instead of EPtS1. With RSP1 as a backup shield heal. You're pretty much indestructible, while throwing out FAW2/1 every 20s. If you have a 6th DOff slot, get a Deflector DOff to reduce GW's cooldown. (So 2x Conn, 2x DCE, 1 Grav Sci, 1 Def Off, all purples.)

Hmmm, I'll feel so nekkid without torps but I'll kick this around a bit tho. Spamming FAW is also scary but it makes sense for hiking the DPS output, and without my TS2 and BO I'll have to move away from being 'sniper' to just a crowd control grenade. Luckily I've been using your other ideas for quite some time so I know they're solid (except A2SIF and A2B). Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not totally insane.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif