test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I was wondering if this game is comparable with Xbox...

cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,101 Arc User
Compatable* autocorrect fail

Mostly because Microsoft makes Xbox. If it's not formatted for it I understand lol. Just wondered since apparently some Xbox simulating controllers were/are comparable. Or at least they were before Delta Riseing.
The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There is (or used to be, can't currently verify) XBox controller support because when Cryptic was first being cut loose by NCSoft, they were going to partner with Marvel and Microsoft to produce a Marvel MMO. Then Marvel decided they wanted to own their own game studio, and pulled out. And then Microsoft decided Cryptic couldn't succeed, and left as well. The controller support, however, had already been encoded.

Sadly, no word about console ports - Neverwinter kind of sucks on PC, but would be great on XBox.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    in short. no

in long. no.
    while it could be possible to put it one the Xbone with limited gfx & resolution settings, due to the Xbone hardwear being so similar to pc standard, the game is far from optimised for the consoles.

5 year old pc's struggle to play this game, and the Xbone was launched in a tech oblosete state. difference being, pc owners can upgrade cpu's & gfx cards, where the Xbone doesnt allow this.

Neverwinter works, STO would run just fine. Issues are going to be mostly around the interface expecting mouse and keyboard.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Might still be possible since, as someone else has mentioned, Neverwinter was able to be ported and that the whole game can already be played via gamepad/x-box-controller as it was originally designed to be released on both consoles and PC, but they stopped developement on that some time after the release.

/edit: found a quote about it from STOs Exec Producer from back then:

"It's something we can readily do in terms of technology. We've had it up and running on certain consoles, and had plans and designs in order to take advantage of those platforms. But as it stands right now it's a little difficult to make that final leap on the business side of things.[...]"
  • astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The control UI is entirely too complex to be ported to a console at this point.

However, as a console gamer I've been successfully playing the game since launch using an Xbox 360 controller and a long-evolved set of key binds. Generally it works great, with very little need to ever touch the mouse or keyboard (but it did take a lot of time to learn the toolbar to button mappings).

Since the DR release, however, I find the neutral position of the joystick randomly causes slight motion/rotation until I nudge it again. Bug reported; I do hope they fix it as it really can mess up ship pointing in space battles.
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I had read STO was going to be ported to consoles. Makes sense since their web ui is tweeked for pads.

heh, 5YO computer struggles with this game, my TRIBBLE !
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    heh, 5YO computer struggles with this game, my TRIBBLE !

on max settings, im sure thats true.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I recalled reading that PW was gonna release stuff in China on the X Box One... dont know how far that is along thou. But I dont think STO was listed as one of the games being released in China.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    on max settings, im sure thats true.

On most settings, it's true. :P
    I need a beer.

• moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    God, I hope not. Kinect already embarrasses you enough by requiring you to get up and flail like a spastic duck. Shouting "ENSIGN, FULL IMPULSE POWER AND RAM THE BORG FROM BEHIND!"?

You might as well put Pizza Hut on your speed dial and go to CostCo and buy a year supply of Mountain Dew Code Red. You are officially off the social radar.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • banshirbanshir Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    On most settings, it's true. :P

I play this on max settings with a 7 yr old CPU. I used to play with a 7 year old video card too but it died and I was forced to upgrade.

The game itself is nearly 5 years old. How can you say that a 5 yr old computer can't run a 5 yr old game?
  • isrorisror Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    banshir wrote: »
    I play this on max settings with a 7 yr old CPU. I used to play with a 7 year old video card too but it died and I was forced to upgrade.

The game itself is nearly 5 years old. How can you say that a 5 yr old computer can't run a 5 yr old game?

Yeah, most PCs will run this game just fine... I use my work laptop that only has IntelHD Graphics and the game still looks fairly good and performs just fine in STFs etc.
  • xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yep,

Going on near a 10 year old computer here. Working just fine. Pre DR, no crashes whatsoever. Frames were ok and you'd get a few stutters here and there if you were in a 20 member stf. Yes, you have to reduce graphic settings, but it was still very playable.

Post DR, still seems ok. A few crashes here and there, but I think that's just settling in for the new patch. In a few weeks, I'm thinking it will have similar performance to LoR.

Cheers!