test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thoughts from a lifer casual...

litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
As the title implies I'm a lifer and play more casual then hardcore.

I was under the impression that the new difficulty levels ADDED a Tier above elite, so normal stay normal, elite renames to advance and hardcore kick my TRIBBLE becomes elite.

But no, flying same fleet support cruiser as yesterday crystal cat 'advance' became a knightmare. Tholians had hp near 1000000 on a carrier and the crystal was just rediculas, after 45 minutes most had left and given up.

Now I don't get hours to play this game, 3 hours with no interruptions is a rare thing, most nights it's an hour at most before RL interrupts and takes over. I could do the old elite crystal cat in 15 minutes with time to enjoy other things in the game, now well after a frustrating 30/45 minutes I will just switch off and find another game to spend my money on.

What are the devs doing, we did ask for more difficult PvE but that was above what we have now, all you have done is increase their hp and out going damage on what we have, god only knows what the elite plays like.

Enough of this rant, it won't matter but instead of enjoying my time playing sto today I felt frustrated and disheartened.....

And because of that my wallet stays closed to you......
Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
Post edited by litchy74 on

Comments

• Options
    tyrannyfighter22tyrannyfighter22 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah it is absurd that the exact same mode yesterday is way harder today. So that means if advanced mode (which used to be called elite) is that hard, its going to be a NIGHTMARE to grind any R&D materials etc.

WOW
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And yet no one seems to give a thought that this is just the initial launch - if enough people don't like it so much, it'll be changed to match.

Nothing's set in stone
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    And yet no one seems to give a thought that this is just the initial launch - if enough people don't like it so much, it'll be changed to match.

Nothing's set in stone

Well, It's a good thing they're giving feedback then.
  • Options
    litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Funny thing is those on the tribble have been shouting about this for months and nothing was changed.

Will we see a change maybe but what a **** up for a new exp launch, this stuff is usually play tested and sorted BEFORE it goes out to paying customers.

Yes we do pay, most if not all has spent a little to a lot on this game, those that don't are the minority and the ones the devs don't care about, you don't pay their wages.

If I was a new customer playing for a few weeks got to lvl 50 and just spent 30 minutes being killed by a npc with little to no reward i would be off to a new game.

Only if there was another game with the IP, at the moment, lack of completion breads complacency.
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    imthe13thdoctorimthe13thdoctor Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Whoa.....

Just tried Infected Conduit on Advanced. All players firing on 1 Sphere took around 35 seconds to take it down in the initial encounter....which now has the Cube and 4 Spheres. They blew through my Tier 12 Adaptive Shields like they were paper.

We moved on to the first nano hub and everyone quit. Cube had 2 Sphere with it, 2 more spawned with the destruction of the first 2 heal bots and 4 came through the gate. The Spheres are actually much harder to kill than the Cubes right now.

My understanding was the Advanced was the old Elite and kids....this isn't that.

Looking forward to tomorrow's patch.....:D
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's not difficult. It's annoying.

I do believe these concerns are valid.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm thinking they messed up somewhere and what we are seeing is supposed to be the new elite.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    if you need r&d stuff (craylon gas, argonite gas etc), you should buy them now, they are going to be rare in the exchange.

i'm sorry for the new players, all is so expensive (the prices for the R&D are totally insane) and difficult that a lot of them will leave this game until they reach lvl50.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    litchy74 wrote: »
    Funny thing is those on the tribble have been shouting about this for months and nothing was changed.

Will we see a change maybe but what a **** up for a new exp launch, this stuff is usually play tested and sorted BEFORE it goes out to paying customers.

Yes we do pay, most if not all has spent a little to a lot on this game, those that don't are the minority and the ones the devs don't care about, you don't pay their wages.

If I was a new customer playing for a few weeks got to lvl 50 and just spent 30 minutes being killed by a npc with little to no reward i would be off to a new game.

Only if there was another game with the IP, at the moment, lack of completion breads complacency.
    The fact also remains that the Tribble testers (including myself, a LTS from Open Beta who has willingly not spent a dime other than that, and not because I don't want to) are a mere fraction of the people on Holodeck.

A holler on Tribble and a holler on Holodeck are two entirely different things. Plus all things testing/customer service/etc are purely swamped, competency varying widely - that's just how this game has been since Open Beta

That is the reality
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    svindal777 wrote: »
    I'm thinking they messed up somewhere and what we are seeing is supposed to be the new elite.

I kind of think elite is going to be the same except that all optionals will be required. In the case of crystalline this will be a challenge with the timer.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah it is absurd that the exact same mode yesterday is way harder today. So that means if advanced mode (which used to be called elite) is that hard, its going to be a NIGHTMARE to grind any R&D materials etc.

WOW

No ones stopped to think this is exactly what Cryptic wants? Even if this is a short term thing and enough complaining will get it changed to something more manageable. There will definitely be an uptick in Research Packs bought in the CStore just to avoid the grind.

Im by no means a conspiracy theorist but am I supposed to believe this is a coincidence when you stop to think about the drawn out crafting with deep dilithium sinks?
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I was under the impression that the new difficulty levels ADDED a Tier above elite, so normal stay normal, elite renames to advance and hardcore kick my TRIBBLE becomes elite.

That's how they said it would be actually. They never mentioned anything about making the enemies from the old elites harder/stronger. Yet they did it.

And on top of that they also lowered the rewards.

I fear that this may make it very hard for all casual players to keep doing STF's and such. With the new R&D system, which takes ages to complete, and now the far tougher enemies and related to that the need for mk xiii / mk xiv gear, and no way to get it since most rewards have been lowered, it will be very hard for new players to develop their characters.

In my opinion: normal should stay the same as it was. Advanced should be the same as the old elites, but keep the 'optional failed, entire mission failed' feature. And for those few that have 20k-30k DPS ships, there's the new elites. But it would be nice if Cryptic realised that not everyone has 20k-30k DPS ships, and that most players don't even want to need such powerful ships.

Edit: the same goes for ground missions. Having multiple Elite tac drones in one room in Khitomer normal, or replacing the heavy tacs with elite tacs on advanced difficulty - which results in multiple elite drones in one room in Infected Ground Advanced - PLUS more heavy tac and normal tac drones shouldn't be happening.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    svindal777 wrote: »

No, it's WAI.

You can thank your friendly dps extremists and, the Dev's who pay only attention to those people for, your newly WAI dps only required advanced/elite content.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I kind of think elite is going to be the same except that all optionals will be required

so the current advanced are the elite; in the current advanced stfs if you miss 1 optional, you are kicked from the stf :confused:
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    One the plus side advanced ground queues aren't that bad.

Shame I prefer space.
  • Options
    zensutrazensutra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ugh, listening to the top 1% is always a bad idea. Case in point: Wildstar.

Looks like queues are off my menu...it's now DOff Trek Online. Way more relaxing and less costly.

Like you guys said, I do feel sorry for the newbies/casuals who don't even read the forums. The people with most profit potential to Cryptic, who haven't bought everything yet. They're going to give it a shot and simply walk away because they haven't invested as much as some of us.
  • Options
    bubblebaflebubblebafle Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Whoa.....

Just tried Infected Conduit on Advanced. All players firing on 1 Sphere took around 35 seconds to take it down in the initial encounter....which now has the Cube and 4 Spheres. They blew through my Tier 12 Adaptive Shields like they were paper.

We moved on to the first nano hub and everyone quit. Cube had 2 Sphere with it, 2 more spawned with the destruction of the first 2 heal bots and 4 came through the gate. The Spheres are actually much harder to kill than the Cubes right now.

My understanding was the Advanced was the old Elite and kids....this isn't that.

Looking forward to tomorrow's patch.....:D

This is annoying. So basically they put 4 destroyable enemies first, and after that, the same 4 but buffed to hell. Where the hell is the difficulty there?? that is only the "cheat" mode on, thats all. :P
  • Options
    zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If this difficulty is not toned down I'm not sure what I will be doing in the game anymore. Having the new elite be this hard is fine but I was lead to believe advanced would be close to the same as old elite.
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Like you guys said, I do feel sorry for the newbies/casuals who don't even read the forums. The people with most profit potential to Cryptic, who haven't bought everything yet. They're going to give it a shot and simply walk away because they haven't invested as much as some of us.

hahahaha, so funny thx. a lot of people don't have a lot of money to spend in a game; therefore they do not deserve this game?

if you are an adult, then i'm sorry for you
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hahahaha, so funny thx. a lot of people don't have a lot of money to spend in a game; therefore they do not deserve this game?

THAT is what you got from that comment? If youre an adult..I feel bad for your English Teacher. They failed to teach you comprehension skills when reading.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Same here. I mean, you wouldn't know it from the amount of time I put in, but in terms of actual playing style, I'm a very casual player. I just want to do a thing, get it out of the way, get enough marks to advance and buy stuff, then get back to chatting.

"Advanced" difficulty was sold as being equivalent to the old "Elite." If that were true, there'd be no problem. I got no complaints about hardcore players getting a new Elite mode that is everything they wanted, and they should get higher rewards commensurate with that investment. I have fleet members and chat buddies who consider themselves to be in that elite crowd and I'm proud of them.

But Advanced isn't the old Elite. Advanced is way, way harder than the old Elite. With lower rewards on top of it. And that's when you win, otherwise the reward is 10 f*** you marks.

Just play it on Normal, you say. Normal has even worse rewards. Besides fewer marks, it lacks the BNP/elite mark rewards, which makes obtaining gear within its associated rep system impossible. I've already got all of that gear I could want, but I can't imagine how they expect a new player to do this. Normal also doesn't give even a chance of VR crafting materials, which makes it impossible for me to continue crafting... and makes it impossible for me to continue making superior upgrade kits.

I don't think it's unreasonable for us to demand that the Advanced queues be changed into something that actually bears a passing resemblance to the previous Elite. Both in content and in reward. I will be avoiding queued content until they do.

I haven't been to the new adventure zone yet, but I'm guessing I can get Delta marks from that, and ground combat doesn't faze me. But plenty of folks will avoid that, as well. I don't see any good outcomes to this for STO unless the devs act reasonably quickly.
  • Options
    zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    risian4 wrote: »
    That's how they said it would be actually. They never mentioned anything about making the enemies from the old elites harder/stronger. Yet they did it.

And on top of that they also lowered the rewards.

I fear that this may make it very hard for all casual players to keep doing STF's and such. With the new R&D system, which takes ages to complete, and now the far tougher enemies and related to that the need for mk xiii / mk xiv gear, and no way to get it since most rewards have been lowered, it will be very hard for new players to develop their characters.

In my opinion: normal should stay the same as it was. Advanced should be the same as the old elites, but keep the 'optional failed, entire mission failed' feature. And for those few that have 20k-30k DPS ships, there's the new elites. But it would be nice if Cryptic realised that not everyone has 20k-30k DPS ships, and that most players don't even want to need such powerful ships.

Edit: the same goes for ground missions. Having multiple Elite tac drones in one room in Khitomer normal, or replacing the heavy tacs with elite tacs on advanced difficulty - which results in multiple elite drones in one room in Infected Ground Advanced - PLUS more heavy tac and normal tac drones shouldn't be happening.

I love everything you said
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    here's my situation, I bought all of the different release's to have all of the pre-order bonus's - like 6-7 copies - I bought my lifetime sub pre-order, all in all I continued to spend about $100/year on odds and ends in this game - including $40 for this release.

I defended Cryptic through the bad launch here on the forums, defended them during the time between Atari and PWE, and defended the Lock box system as it truely did turn this games development around. LOR finally made all of that effort look like it was going to be worth it......

My main is a Liberated Borg, that flies the Mirror Universe Star Cruiser which I opened about 60 Tholian lock boxes to get - I also spent the extra $ to get the mirror universe uniforms so I could fly her as a mirror universe Borg. She's grinded and fitted both Borg ship sets, and carries full Borg rep beams.. Console slots are all full of C-store consoles, including a Plasmonic Leach - save 3 tac slot's, which host purple mk12 plasma damage boosts.

apparently Cryptic doesn't consider mirror universe ships to be lock box ships, even though they come out of lock boxes. - so they don't qualify for free upgrade - or deserving of any upgrade option at all.

Overnight my ship goes from being able to defend the kang in CFE all by it's self, to not even able to take down one BoP in the advance - with no way of improving what I have.

so here I stand, a Loyal, paying supporter of this game being forced to either abandon my mirror universe set-up for my main, or abandon my main all together.

my second main flies the vet ship proudly, wait what - I can't upgrade that either - so now I have to abandon my two longest and most loved characters.

so here's the same message you just sent me, going right back to you.....

mIm

if ya'll need me, I'll be in Eve or ArcheAge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    wildmousex wrote: »
    here's my situation, I bought all of the different release's to have all of the pre-order bonus's - like 6-7 copies - I bought my lifetime sub pre-order, all in all I continued to spend about $100/year on odds and ends in this game - including $40 for this release.

I defended Cryptic through the bad launch here on the forums, defended them during the time between Atari and PWE, and defended the Lock box system as it truely did turn this games development around. LOR finally made all of that effort look like it was going to be worth it......

My main is a Liberated Borg, that flies the Mirror Universe Star Cruiser which I opened about 60 Tholian lock boxes to get - I also spent the extra $ to get the mirror universe uniforms so I could fly her as a mirror universe Borg. She's grinded and fitted both Borg ship sets, and carries full Borg rep beams.. Console slots are all full of C-store consoles, including a Plasmonic Leach - save 3 tac slot's, which host purple mk12 plasma damage boosts.

apparently Cryptic doesn't consider mirror universe ships to be lock box ships, even though they come out of lock boxes. - so they don't qualify for free upgrade - or deserving of any upgrade option at all.

Overnight my ship goes from being able to defend the kang in CFE all by it's self, to not even able to take down one BoP in the advance - with no way of improving what I have.

so here I stand, a Loyal, paying supporter of this game being forced to either abandon my mirror universe set-up for my main, or abandon my main all together.

my second main flies the vet ship proudly, wait what - I can't upgrade that either - so now I have to abandon my two longest and most loved characters.

so here's the same message you just sent me, going right back to you.....

mIm

if ya'll need me, I'll be in Eve or ArcheAge.
    Being a LTS from Open Beta, I personally find this a very little thing over which to say that you're done, especially after this long... but that's just me, of course.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014

lol hes not saying that at all re-read what he said.

actually you know what I'll spell it out for you.

He is basically saying that those who aren't hardcore players who essentially commit most of their free time to the game are basically going to walk away because of the state of the endgame content.

that is in no way shape or form implying that they don't deserve the game. where did you get that from anyway?

You should buy some glasses and that goes for the people sitting around the sphere constantly spamming "WHERE IS THE OCOMPA FREIGHTER!?!" aswell.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the Chimera (and it's KDF and RR equivalents) can be upgraded for free...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    Being a LTS from Open Beta, I personally find this a very little thing over which to say that you're done, especially after this long... but that's just me, of course.

there is a reason why the saying is " this is the last straw" and not " this is the last anvil" - I'm at a point in my life where I am sick and tired of F#$ing doing business with companies that half TRIBBLE their way through $h1T, doing minimal effort, demanding maximum return, with no regard for anyone they TRIBBLE over in the process - this last straw put's Cryptic on that list.

I have a friend in the Navy that plays when he's not on deployment, so I'm sure i'll still play when he is state side, and I'll be spending my stipends when I do - but they have seen the last dime they will ever get from me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    wildmousex wrote: »
    there is a reason why the saying is " this is the last straw" and not " this is the last anvil" - I'm at a point in my life where I am sick and tired of F#$ing doing business with companies that half TRIBBLE their way through $h1T, doing minimal effort, demanding maximum return, with no regard for anyone they TRIBBLE over in the process - this last straw put's Cryptic on that list.

I have a friend in the Navy that plays when he's not on deployment, so I'm sure i'll still play when he is state side, and I'll be spending my stipends when I do - but they have seen the last dime they will ever get from me.
    And I haven't spent a dime either, aside from LTS - because I choose not to, though I much wanted to at points. Nothing has been completely perfect for me even without that, but the idea is that if something bothers you so much about a game, let it out elsewhere, then let it go.

In some cases, it's not even that much worth getting upset about imo
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    x6460x6460 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2014

But no, flying same fleet support cruiser as yesterday crystal cat 'advance' became a knightmare. Tholians had hp near 1000000 on a carrier and the crystal was just rediculas, after 45 minutes most had left and given up.

Now I don't get hours to play this game, 3 hours with no interruptions is a rare thing, most nights it's an hour at most before RL interrupts and takes over. I could do the old elite crystal cat in 15 minutes with time to enjoy other things in the game, now well after a frustrating 30/45 minutes I will just switch off and find another game to spend my money on.

What are the devs doing, we did ask for more difficult PvE but that was above what we have now, all you have done is increase their hp and out going damage on what we have, god only knows what the elite plays like.

Enough of this rant, it won't matter but instead of enjoying my time playing sto today I felt frustrated and disheartened.....

And because of that my wallet stays closed to you......

Another Casual Lifetimer here. So casual in fact that after a year or so of playing (On again, Off again,) I'm just now getting close to Tier 5 of the Rep chains. I drop $50 a month into my Zen Wallet. When I'm playing. I enjoyed Legacy of Romulus while it lasted.

As far as I see. Now I have to grind for those Rep Marks. Thanks to Delta Rising.

I don't play MMOs that require me to Grind. I'm very glad I did not buy the Delta Pack yet.

I will not be buying the Delta Pack. I will not be buying any more Zen. I'll check in from time to time to see if things become more casual again.

Cryptic/PW, Just lost another paying customer. Enjoy the Grind folks.
    Finally decided to make a sig.
    I see allot of them with a character, and ship.
    though I'm not sure which ship to put on there...
    I'll think about it. This will do for now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]