Options

Reality of ship tiers

2»

Comments

• Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ryick wrote: »
    What a lot of people seem to be missing is the fact that T6 was just released today. Think of how few ships we had at the original launch day.

There are going to be many, many more T6 ships. If you don't like how these Intelligence ships look, be patient. Today is Day One of T6.

And the T6 line up will probably have T6 and T6 Fleet versions of the existing T5 ships, becuase seriously when haven't Star Trek fans been willing to pay for a slightly better version of something they already bought.
  • Options
    j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hartzilla wrote: »
    And the T6 line up will probably have T6 and T6 Fleet versions of the existing T5 ships, becuase seriously when haven't Star Trek fans been willing to pay for a slightly better version of something they already bought.

Where is the option to get my new T6 JHAS or Bulwark?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Conventions get funded by this principle!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captainzheicaptainzhei Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The epic butthurting is getting to be one of the most boring things I've ever endured. How have people gotten so entitled?

"Whine whine a business is trying to get me to pay more money by offering me stuff more awesome than the free stuff whine whine sob."

I've just recently put money into the game. I'm saving up a combination of $CAD and Dilithium savings to get a Tier 6 down the road a bit. Until then, I have a library of Tier 5 ships to upgrade for free!

Seeing as the Level 40 Tier 5 ships compare adequately to the Level 50 Tier 5 ships, which can outclass the Tier 5 Fleet ships if used well enough... I don't fear being left behind.
    valoreah wrote: »
    And in how many of those other MMOs did you have to buy your top level gear with real money? LOL "gift".

That would be "any MMO that doesn't charge you a monthly fee simply to play".
    ==========================================
    Captaincy, Excelsior-Class U.S.S. Bianca Beauchamp NCC-99947-F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am not sure if Crpytic really fully appreciates this problem. But the anger over the Intelligence ship looks is basically all about that, I think. The ide aof having to abandon your favorite ship for that doesn't suite well with people. They may say "but the Guardian is okay", but the truth is - if you like the Galaxy or Sovereign or Odysee, no, it's not okay.

This is *exactly* my views... I hate the look of the "new" ships and would happily purchase (with real money) a T6 Sovereign at whatever cost is needed to justify that ship being "better" than the other ships.

When playing the game I prefer the iconic ships and hope that Cryptic will adopt a policy of keeping them at the top of the ladder in terms of in game performance.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The truly idiotic thing is that most complaints stem from this:

There are certain ships that a person likes. He wants to have them, use them and do so always, because he likes them.
    That isn't the stupid thing, the stupid thing comes now:

Instead of giving the person the option to just fully upgrade his favorite ships every time the bar gets raised, cryptic appears to be set to try to force people out of their ship-related comfort zone.
    Trying to force people is always a ****ty idea.
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    why not...it's all obsolete:D
    LOL!

The change is not that major a deal - we know this from people who actually logged into Tribble and helped shake down the new missions with old as well as new ships.

I have no sympathy for the complainers. I've been playing multiplayer games since they were text-only over 1200 baud modems. Was a beta player for CoH and went on for another three years, and since its week two have played STO through its many ups and downs.

I consider Cryptic one of the best service providers in the MMO market. Perfect, no. But vastly more straightforward than their competitors.

I'll upgrade some of my lobi/lockbox ships strictly because I like the idea of their skins. My legacy ships I'll dispatch to the scrapyards - I've long since gotten the pleasure from them and am ready to go T6 and look forward to future T6 ships.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    reynoldsxd wrote: »

There are certain ships that a person likes. He wants to have them, use them and do so always, because he likes them.

Instead of giving the person the option to just fully upgrade his favorite ships every time the bar gets raised, cryptic appears to be set to try to force people out of their ship-related comfort zone.

but that's the thing...no one is forcing you out of your ship. Content in DR (except for Elite cues) can be done in a T5 ship.
    You can continue to play the game as you have been playing with the ship you like.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok, no argument that the ship tiers are a bit of a mess.

T5, T5+, T5 VA, T5 Lockbox, T5 Fleet, now T5U and T6 and fleet variants for those. There were a few too many variations on T5 there in the middle and it's caused confusion.

Woe to everyone who thought T5 Fleet was going to be top-of-the-line forever and bought FSM's for per-character ships.

In retrospect, I think that was a big mistake. I thought about buying Fleet ships but never ended up following through on that. Mainly because the fleet grind used up a lot of my resources and our shipyard still isn't maxed out yet. But also the hard-to-shake feeling of paying more money for something you already have. I know it's not quite that simple, but there's a visceral emotional reaction to the idea that's quite understandable.

Fleet ships being what they are, I think they should have gotten a free upgrade to T5U. It would have created an incentive to keep buying fleet ships. Now? I'm not really interested, and it's killing the incentive to keep the fleet advancement going. Still going to do it, but only because I'm invested in my fleet mates.

Upgradeable ships was definitely the way to go, and I'm glad they came out with the T5U's. I will obviously claim the upgrades that are free. I don't have a heartburn with T6 either. It's the mess in the middle that's making it a hard sell for a lot of people.

Guess we'll see what the score is when we can see the prices. That will have a lot to do with how DR is received, I think.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    (except for Elite cues)

Dude. Its the endgame. I just want to bring a ship i love to the ****ing endgame and not be an anchor for the team because someone at cryptic had a massive brainfart.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

but that's the thing...no one is forcing you out of your ship. Content in DR (except for Elite cues) can be done in a T5 ship.
    You can continue to play the game as you have been playing with the ship you like.

Hold on, this is part of that "visceral emotional reaction" I'm talking about.

From a practical standpoint, I am assured that the DR content can be done in a normal T5 ship (except for Elite difficulty, perhaps).

From a psychological standpoint, if I am leveling toward 60 with all new content, it's only natural that I'm going to feel as if I need the newer, better ships. If people perceive that they should have them, but the barrier for entry is high, that's going to discourage some of them.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dude. Its the endgame. I just want to bring a ship i love to the ****ing endgame and not be an anchor for the team because someone at cryptic had a massive brainfart.

My fleetmates on Tribble assure me that ALL DR content can be done with basic, 9 console ships. Even the Elite queues, assuming your team is intelligent.

I do agree with the "emotional reaction" standpoint. With something like this you can't help but feel left behind or like you are losing something.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Hold on, this is part of that "visceral emotional reaction" I'm talking about.

From a practical standpoint, I am assured that the DR content can be done in a normal T5 ship (except for Elite difficulty, perhaps).

From a psychological standpoint, if I am leveling toward 60 with all new content, it's only natural that I'm going to feel as if I need the newer, better ships. If people perceive that they should have them, but the barrier for entry is high, that's going to discourage some of them.
    Another aspect of it, is that with ship leveling and such you're best off doing the 50-60 grind with T5-U or better so that you can benefit from the time spent.

It is literally a waste of time to do the grind in T5 ship
    buddha1369 wrote: »
    I do agree with the "emotional reaction" standpoint. With something like this you can't help but feel left behind or like you are losing something.

Feel? How about actually being left behind? People who were PVPing comfortably with fleet T5 now have to pay $$ just to keep doing what they were already doing. People who spent buckets of money supporting the game in the past are told to pay more or go away. Emotion... lol ... its a big FU to a developed player base. Only the low-levels arent harmed.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Ok, no argument that the ship tiers are a bit of a mess.

T5, T5+, T5 VA, T5 Lockbox, T5 Fleet, now T5U and T6 and fleet variants for those. There were a few too many variations on T5 there in the middle and it's caused confusion.

Woe to everyone who thought T5 Fleet was going to be top-of-the-line forever and bought FSM's for per-character ships.

In retrospect, I think that was a big mistake. I thought about buying Fleet ships but never ended up following through on that. Mainly because the fleet grind used up a lot of my resources and our shipyard still isn't maxed out yet. But also the hard-to-shake feeling of paying more money for something you already have. I know it's not quite that simple, but there's a visceral emotional reaction to the idea that's quite understandable.

Fleet ships being what they are, I think they should have gotten a free upgrade to T5U. It would have created an incentive to keep buying fleet ships. Now? I'm not really interested, and it's killing the incentive to keep the fleet advancement going. Still going to do it, but only because I'm invested in my fleet mates.

Upgradeable ships was definitely the way to go, and I'm glad they came out with the T5U's. I will obviously claim the upgrades that are free. I don't have a heartburn with T6 either. It's the mess in the middle that's making it a hard sell for a lot of people.

Guess we'll see what the score is when we can see the prices. That will have a lot to do with how DR is received, I think.

Once im patched and ingame im gonna dismiss my fleet ships since i wont be using them anymore and though i have a JHDC im not sure how long im gonna fly her since its only a T-5U andf not a t-6.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't think my original post illustrated my point correctly.

I will not spend $20 to $100 on a micro transaction in a game that future development will purposefully, and directly, make obsolete. Instead I will use what I have or can acquire without directly or indirectly paying for. If that gets in the way of my enjoyment of the game I will stop playing. If something catches my eye in the Cstore that is not a ship I will still buy it.

In the past I acquired every lockbox ship except the two ultra rare ones. The reason I did so was because the lockbox ships had a set history of not being made obsolete. A new precedent has been established with the new fleet T6 quality lockbox ship.

When I purchase a hero in MH, or a hero in LoL, I do so with the confidence that even years later I can go back to the game and use them without their being a strait up +1 version I would have to repurchase. At any point in time those games could cease to exist which would have a negative effect on my future confidence, but that has yet to happen.

The developers have always atleast made an effort to communicate their ideas and reasons. That is what I am attempting to do nothing more nothing less. I am not a direct whale, but considering the money someone paid for my fleet of lockbox ships and other Cstore ships someone has spent alot of money. I no longer have any consumer confidence in the ship product they are offering and will not spend my money, or anyone else's to acquire them. Nothing more nothing less.