test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upgrade System for Combat Pets?

suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
A long, long time ago, about the time when Qo'noS was revamped, there was a rumour regarding a potential Targ breeding minigame, which was even mentioned by one of the NPCs near the Targ pits during the KDF tutorial.

And then it was all forgotten...

Yet now we've got the Upgrade system, which allows us to upgrade most items to a higher mark and rarity, by using Upgrade Tech items and Dilithium.

So I'm thinking - why not use the exact same mechanic to finally implement a "breeding" minigame for our combat pets? The system is already there, and would require only "minor" changes.

Instead of Upgrade Techs players would need to use specific Food items. Since obviously this would need to be monetized by Cryptic in one way or another, the whole minigame could be either dilithium-walled, or time-walled, with optional items similar to accelerators, and the pets could be "fed" only once every X hours.
Let's say, you could feed your pet a basic food available for EC, which would "strenghten" it only a little bit every few hours, or you could use a "superior" food, available for dilithium/Zen, which would speed up the process greatly.

Each faction could have its own unique pet or pets. Federation could use Sehlats, KDF obviously has Targs, Saurs and Jackal Mastiffs, while the Romulans could use Khellids from their starting homeworld. Other combat pets could be made universal, like the existing Hortas, plus there's potential to update old Lock Boxes by adding some new combat pets to raise (even absurd ones, like the Voth Raptors).

Personally, I think this would work great for ground combat, especially since most combat pets have a default cooldown of 5 minutes and aren't really that great at current endgame (aside from perhaps a couple of exceptions). "Upgrading" old and new pets to bump up their stats, reduce their summoning cooldown, make them use new abilities, and perhaps even make them look different would be an interesting new addition, especially considering it's been talked about some time ago, and the potential "tech" is already there.

I'm interested to see what other people think about this, and I hope at least the very idea will be considered by someone at Cryptic.
PyKDqad.jpg