Install Arc
Options

Kill the Moon (spoilers) Dr. Who

13»

Comments

• Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Minor question just for clarification: Is a showrunner the same thing as an executive producer?

A showrunner is almost always an EP (I can't think of any exceptions, though I suppose it's possible). A given show will have one, perhaps two showrunners who are essentially in charge of the series - the equivalent of a film director. There may be EPs who are not showrunners for a number of reasons - contractual stuff can get kind of complicated. It's honestly bizarre that there is no formal credit for the showrunner of a TV series.

Like I said, a showrunner is responsible for the series as a whole, similar to a director on a film.

A director on a TV series rarely has a lot of creative power, as the tight filming schedules tend to mean that the director has to stick with the script, and generally keep what he does in line with the other directors of the series, to maintain overall consistency.

That's not to say that there aren't great TV directors - there are - but they're relatively unimportant when it comes to creative decisions.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Tell that to these guys. :P

That was far more than one hundred nukes.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Frankly, it’s fantastic that there is still something like Dr Who on our televisions.

Oh, it's a wonderful, unique, amazing show. My favourite critic praises/criticizes it because of how challenging it is to review - it spans genres and styles, and often requires two viewings for one to even understand what an episode is about, because it often takes common tropes and inverts them, making it extremely hard to know what's going to happen next.

When it fails, it certainly isn't due to a lack of creativity.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.