test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Big picture regarding KDF

dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
The devs do not seem to understand that they cannot simply stop supporting a second faction in an MMO. They will not just lose the KDF players, they will lose many FED players because the game will have less depth for everyone. KDF has been completely abandoned and so only a few still play KDF.

I can give them an easy fix. Simply merge KDF and Romulan Star Empire. There are far more romulans than Klinks, so this would create a robust second faction.
Post edited by dpsloss88 on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    " Simply merge KDF and Romulan Star Empire"
    Thank goodness they have the "simply merge factioN' function in their developer applications.

"Poof" Merged.

Cryptic has mentioned many times they made a mistake making the kdf. They didn't have the will or the resources to maintain them. So if people leave the kdf due to lack of new ships options compared to the feds, for example, cryptic won't care.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, the unfortunate truth is... multi factions only matter in PvP. When was the last time PvP mattered in STO?
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Except that most romulans are FED-aligned (and therefore practically Federation characters.) It would be assinine to force them into the KDF faction when, after being presented with that very choice at level 10, people decided to head to the other side.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The KD... who?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    obscure trek canon puts the klingons in bed with the federation not far into the future as one big federation, so with d'tan's romulans and remans looking to unite with the vulcans, its not out of the possibility the republic would join the federation as well.

thats all i got.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • bubblebaflebubblebafle Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    The devs do not seem to understand that they cannot simply stop supporting a second faction in an MMO. They will not just lose the KDF players, they will lose many FED players because the game will have less depth for everyone. KDF has been completely abandoned and so only a few still play KDF.

I can give them an easy fix. Simply merge KDF and Romulan Star Empire. There are far more romulans than Klinks, so this would create a robust second faction.

No. lol. no. lol. no.

Thats your opinion. Mine is that there are A LOT of kdf players out there. But when we see the ammount of starfleet players they seem just a tiny portion of the total.

And most of these kdf players only use kdf players to farm contraband and resources.. i have 8/ 10 alts being kdf or rommi klingon alligned. I only have 2 starfleet characters. More than half of those klingon characters i use em to farm contraband and resources mostly. And i m pretty sure a lot of people are in the same spot. So, no i dont think thee are only " a few" kdf players out there lol, not by far.

I dont see more romulans than klingons. More or less i see a lot of players in each faction. One completely different thing is that they are not as much as the feds, but you cant just look at the numbers.

There is no reason right now to mix anything, since as i said there are out there more than enough KDF players to not do that.

Now, KDF and romulans being ignored since ages ago?? i could agree with that. But that has nothing to do with thinking that only a few players are playing as KDF... that is completely false.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, that's a stupid solution if I might say so. The issue of the KDF needs to be looked into, not simply merged with the Republic. There are many KDF players, some who are only KDF players, and some, alike myself, who play as KDF and others (though I don't own a Republic toon).

@OP, curiously, what do you feel is missing from the KDF faction (aside from KDF hairstyles) - that one I'll give you.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited October 2014
    Don't dismiss the OP completely.

According to him all Cryptic needs to do is "simply merge" the factions. Following that reasoning, their may be a "simply unmerge" function that will put everything back to normal if it doesn't work out.
    edited October 2014
    Yes, the support for Gorn toupee's is gathering speed..............soon, my army of Gorn hairdressers will conqueror all.
    I was referring specifically to the Klingon hairstyles; think they've got a dire selection of five. There are at least three others (used on characters in game) that could be added for us, then some.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The fact is we're inching ever forward to a one-faction future for STO, at least as far as factions used to be delineated.

I mean all PvP is now cross-faction, as is all end-game content. The only anomalies are:

1) Fleets
    2) Romulan "ally" choice

I can see a point in the future where fleets will be open to all factions, possibly with separate Fed starbase, KDF starbase and Rom starbase holdings. I can also see a future where the Romulan ally choice is removed or at least de-activated at a certain level.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ahahahaahahahahahah :D :P Nice one OP!

Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh even harder!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :P
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited October 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    The fact is we're inching ever forward to a one-faction future for STO, at least as far as factions used to be delineated.

I mean all PvP is now cross-faction, as is all end-game content. The only anomalies are:

1) Fleets
    2) Romulan "ally" choice
    3) Entire story content
    4) Specific Species, Costumes and Ships

There's no doubt more.

For what little it may be worth, I was always opposed to the fraction idea. The Romulans should have either been released as an individual entity, or not released at all; at least, not in their current fashion. I actually think Cryptic did right by the Galor in a Lock Box, it's just they should have acted more with it.

The Romulans, and Cardassians, and whoever else should have gone straight to the C-Store as a unique bonus themed character. Upon purchase (whatever the price, 10kzen?) you'd start off on Cardassia, Rator III or whatever with undertaking some simple yet short missions introducing you to the game, and the controls much alike the existing starter missions go.

Your token would include a starter ship (Hideki/T'varo) until level #10 at which point you'd gain access to your Constitution, or K't'inga (whatever). Come level #40, you'd get another faction-specific ship (Galor/Deridex) with a few more options (retrofits) in the C-Store (Keldon/Mogai).

Should have stayed Red vs Blue, no Red vs Blue vs Gre
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Merging all of the queues would help the KDF alot. Anyway klingon dilithium farmers will never go away!:D
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    May I inquire as to where you got that Data from?

I mean, you have to have some hard Data to back up your statement...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
    edited October 2014
    I hear Neelix joins the kdf in delta rising
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That really wouldn't surprise me especially since Neelix did have a wonderful time with those brave Klingon Warriors when the Hirogen captured Voyager.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    I hear Neelix joins the kdf in delta rising

lol Hello Mr. Klingon!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lol Hello Mr. Klingon!

ha, hello Mr. bat'leth. Strangely I'm developing a slight softspot for the little fellow while rewatching voyager recently.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have 2 KDF characters. One a Lv50 Eng, and another LV20 something Tac. I like being a KDF which is why I created a 2nd just to use the BoPs.

I don't know how merging factions will help. Players will pick which one they want to play with. When it comes to Star Trek, most associate with the Federation and play that. As making the Romulans just be part of the KDF is just wrong. My Romulan wanted to be part of the Federation and will stay there. Since KDF don't match her style.

Plus in PVE it don't matter unless you que. Then you might have some issues.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Neelix is a TRIBBLE, he'll join with anybody and likely joins everybody in Delta Rising-because DR is going to be copy-paste for all 'Factions'. Kind of like how Tuvok interacts with KDF characters in a wartime environment in the Dyson missions.

YOu know, the people he, as a Starfleet Officer, is at war with.

Thats becuase by the point the federation has bigger fish to fry, than dealing with the Klingons most recent temper tantrum :)
  • kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited October 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    basically 5 out of 9 ships released for their expansion pack were for the faction that has the largest percentage of freeloaders in the game, while the two groups that DO spend money fairly freely on both lockbox-lottery keys, and lower-tier ships, got basically two ships apiece, with the KDF getting the weakest 2/9ths of the release.

Well, that's about as "tribalist" as it gets, there.

Yes, your side is where all the good human traits reside, the other team is the epitome of all loathsome personal attributes.

That people actually convince themselves of nonsense like this over picking a race/faction in a video game is always a mixture of hilarious and sad.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    I have 2 KDF characters. One a Lv50 Eng, and another LV20 something Tac. I like being a KDF which is why I created a 2nd just to use the BoPs.

I don't know how merging factions will help. Players will pick which one they want to play with. When it comes to Star Trek, most associate with the Federation and play that. As making the Romulans just be part of the KDF is just wrong. My Romulan wanted to be part of the Federation and will stay there. Since KDF don't match her style.

Plus in PVE it don't matter unless you que. Then you might have some issues.

Yeah I did same thing a long time ago made a lib borg tact for just using the different bops available. I had hopes of them doing something as in either a T6 bop or something putting bops on par with those warbirds that have 5 tact consoles plus near a whole minute of cloak ambush compared to our mostly 3 tact console and 5 second battle cloak ambush is severely weaker even with flanking in comparison.

I don't believe in merging them but I do believe they need to have KDF in their schedule and not just something they do if they *find the time* aspect they have when dealing with the KDF.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic has always gone for the majority of their content is Cross-faction in their games. City of Heroes/Villains had the majority of their content after they did after Issue 7 with the Grandville update. Sure there was a mission here and there that was unique to each faction, but the majority was always cross-faction.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Actually some of you had an even better suggestion. Merge KDF with FEDS and have a robust second faction, the Romulan Star Empire.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'd be up for that :)

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Actually some of you had an even better suggestion. Merge KDF with FEDS and have a robust second faction, the Romulan Star Empire.

Or, post-50 everyone is in the Delta Faction. Making 1-50 basically a tutorial.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If we go by canon, Feds get fancy new ships and variety because canon says they embrace and advance their vessels and technology. KDF canon says they reuse the same ship designs over and over and only give them under-the-hood upgades based on what they've reverse-engineered, and only use newer ships if certain tech won't work with what they have, or if it's the standard ships of a race they've conquered.

Releasing upper Tier reskins and loadouts won't work; KDF players will complain about Cryptic being lazy. Releasing original designs will have KDF players complain about "MUH canon designs". Doesn't help either that KDF has technically long been the written bad guys from the start, and has less race variety (never with the option to play as some member of a formerly enslaved or "inferior" KDF-controlled or captured race working up the KDF ladder the hard way), and there hasn't been much in the way of any new warrior/slaver/underworld race being taken over by the Klingons to help add new ship variety.

Klingons have basically been written into a dead end. They will probably at some point become part of a larger Imperial Federation Republic (possibly an oxymoron), though it will probably not change what starting faction a player could choose from; it would just mean that at some late season and future Tier; KDF players will finally have access to Fed ships and equipment, and Feds would have access to KDF ships and equipment. Let's say a theoretical universal Tier 8 or 9 where all ships in-game can be accessed and used by both sides; including some upgraded refitted retrofit copies of older tier ships just for the purists to use.

Replacing KDF with the Romulan Star Empire will just result in a faction even worse than the KDF; since from the outset they're just as much of the bad guy the Klingons used to be, but with even fewer ship choices. And would require way too much time and effort to create a faction who's missions are tied exclusively to doing the opposite of all the other factions, which would ultimately make them a pure PvP faction, but without access to STFs or certain PvE areas due to storyline differences.
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I started back in beta, KDF was awful, today its a hell of a lot better. Legacy of Romulus added a great set of missions at the start that I think was better written, and more fun than the Romulan and Federation starter experience.

The hard truth is that most people aren't into playing KDF.

Cryptic can't force people to play a faction, and if the lights are to stay on, they need to sell to the masses.

It's not malice, some conspiracy or vindictive. These are human beings working at jobs, and anyone who reads these accusations will let irritation slip into interviews, and these accusations have been around since day one.

What should happen is simple, easing blocks to cross faction grouping so FRIENDS can play with friends removes faction issues. I love my kdf characters, but my friends all went fed. They don't want to reroll, STO is very effective at getting you attached to a character and crew.

When people can group with friends regardless of faction or even join fleets, then there is less worry about not getting to play what you want with who you want. The last few years of exclusivity in factions has hurt the kdf , its time to try something new.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    obscure trek canon puts the klingons in bed with the federation not far into the future as one big federation, so with d'tan's romulans and remans looking to unite with the vulcans, its not out of the possibility the republic would join the federation as well.

thats all i got.

Not sure about 'obscure' and might already be mentioned...

Isn't the Klingon Empire becoming part of the Federation referenced in the Enterprise episode 'Azanti Prime', during Archer's first encounter with the Temporal Agent Daniels, where he shows Archer the Enterprise J?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen - confirmation from the OP himself that this is, in fact, a troll thread.
    HQroeLu.jpg