test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idea for Trek's 49th or 50th (because I miss the TOS-era...)

tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
Disclaimer: This post has nothing to do with the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies, nor infringing upon licensed intellectual property which Cryptic/PWE doesn't have direct access to.

After re-watching "Prelude to Axanar", the fan-produced, pre-TOS 'documentary' which leads into the eventual "Axanar" fan film next year, I realized I REALLY, REALLY miss the TOS-era.

"Prelude to Axanar" (via YouTube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Within STO, we've time-traveled to the TOS past, courtesy of the Devidian storyline.

For Star Trek's 50th anniversary, or even the 49th anniversary, I'd love to be able to revisit that era, in a manner which isn't a piecemeal of existing in-game assets. Something unique; something which celebrates the flavor of the original Star Trek (TOS).

Suggestions include:

* George Takei, Walter Koenig and Grace Lee Whitney (and potentially Tim Russ) reprising their roles in a late 23rd century adventure aboard the U.S.S. Excelsior. You could include a rendezvous or transmission from the U.S.S. Enterprise-A (Nichelle Nichols), too.

Optionally, the Enterprise-B.

Let's face it: There's no Excelsior class bridge interior or ship interiors. Great time to build them! (And if the lead Dev loves the Excelsior as much as some of us do...)

* Bringing Chris Doohan into the recording studios to voice Scotty's lines from the STO "Night of the Comet" episode. It's been suggested previously. Example: sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1144241

* Redressing the TOS Enterprise bridge/interiors for a Pike-era mission. Imagine playing alongside Pike, Spock, Number One, Dr. Boyce, and others from TOS's "The Cage", er... "The Menagerie, Parts I and II." ;)

* Bring John DeLancie into the recording studio to get voice-overs done for the Q appearances within STO. Make Q a catalyst to celebrating Star Trek's 50th anniversary.

* Instead of TOS, revisit the ENT era. Craft a time-travel mission around the launch of the upgraded NX-01 (with Doug Drexler's suggested upgrades). Bring members of the cast for voice-overs.

You could even follow-up with a Delta Quadrant mystery involving the discovery of the missing ENT-era U.S.S. Columbia (NX-02). Having holodeck interactions with ENT characters to piece together what was reported centuries before, as you piece together what might have happened. (Then again, this may infringe too heavily on the Trek novels which originated this idea.)

What thoughts/ideas do the rest of you have?

It takes advanced planning, budgeting and scheduling to get updates into an MMO, like Star Trek Online. I'm hoping the playerbase can provide some ideas so they can be considered for Star Trek's 50th anniversary.
Post edited by tucana66 on

Comments

• Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I may be skirting close to Askrays line, but an endgame FE based in the TOS era would be awesome.

And, whisper it softly, would we get to fly the NCC-0701, even if only for a little while?
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    * Bringing Chris Doohan into the recording studios to voice Scotty's lines from the STO "Night of the Comet" episode. It's been suggested previously.

Uh slight problem with that... I take it you weren't aware or simply forgot, but he's dead. They launched his ashes into space way back in 2005. Jeez, I cannot believe its almost been 10 years since he's gone... BTW, before you suggest the same for DeForest Kelley doing VO for McCoy: same problem. DeForest Kelley died in 1996.

As for the rest, its quite apparent that whatever direction STO is going, it isn't back to TOS. Sure, we might see some of the aliens, their ships or planets and locations at some point, but I think that's gonna be it from here on out.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Uh slight problem with that... I take it you weren't aware or simply forgot, but he's dead. They launched his ashes into space way back in 2005. Jeez, I cannot believe its almost been 10 years since he's gone... BTW, before you suggest the same for DeForest Kelley doing VO for McCoy: same problem. DeForest Kelley died in 1996.

As for the rest, its quite apparent that whatever direction STO is going, it isn't back to TOS. Sure, we might see some of the aliens, their ships or planets and locations at some point, but I think that's gonna be it from here on out.

Ahhh..., dipsy-doodle... He's talking about the SON of James Doohan...

Christopher, who sounds and looks much like his father.

BTW OP, I very much like this idea and would +2 you if I could.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Chris Doohan is James Doohan's son. James Doohan passed away long ago. Chris Doohan currently plays his father's role in Star Trek Continues.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'd rather just have a 50th Anniversary Featured Episode of "Return to the Nexus" with Patrick Stewart and William Shatner.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    DOH! :eek:

Ya I remember now, I must have just glanced the name Doohan without thinking about his son.
    But yes, Chris Doohan would be great to have. I have actually seen him in Star Trek Continues and was very impressed with him. I would totally welcome that.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They have spoken about their intentions to revamp State of Q which brings two interesting possibilities with it:

1. John de Lancie back as Q, obviously high on their wishlist

2. Because there is no point in bringing back Avery Brooks to re-record the dialogue he performed on the first episode of DS9, they would instead (with permissions cleared and such) "copy and paste" the audio. This could be a better way rather than getting in sound-a-likies, could help allow actors who are either no longer with us or far too expensive to contribute to still have their characters represented in game.

Although obviously getting the actors back properly is far better than just copying sound clips it does offer a nice opportunity to get around things. I would recommend they test it out in State of Q first before going full on and trying it on their 50th celebrations.

Although after John de Lancie, George Takei has to be next on my personal wishlist to get in game.
  • Options
    vendahravendahra Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    For the 50th Anniversary (September 2016), I would like a new Alpha quadrant sector map, with patrols added for many of the worlds visited by 1701.It doesn't have to be some grand storyline. Just give us a few patrols like what's currently available on Tribble.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Disclaimer:This post has nothing to do with the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies, nor infringing upon licensed intellectual property which Cryptic/PWE doesn't have direct access to.

After re-watching "Prelude to Axanar", the fan-produced, pre-TOS 'documentary' which leads into the eventual "Axanar" fan film next year, I realized I REALLY, REALLY miss the TOS-era.

"Prelude to Axanar" (via YouTube):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Within STO, we've time-traveled to the TOS past, courtesy of the Devidian storyline.

For Star Trek's 50th anniversary, or even the 49th anniversary, I'd love to be able to revisit that era, in a manner which isn't a piecemeal of existing in-game assets. Something unique; something which celebrates the flavor of the original Star Trek (TOS).

Suggestions include:

* George Takei, Walter Koenig and Grace Lee Whitney (and potentially Tim Russ) reprising their roles in a late 23rd century adventure aboard the U.S.S. Excelsior. You could include a rendezvous or transmission from the U.S.S. Enterprise-A (Nichelle Nichols), too.

Optionally, the Enterprise-B.

Let's face it: There's no Excelsior class bridge interior or ship interiors. Great time to build them! (And if the lead Dev loves the Excelsior as much as some of us do...)

* Bringing Chris Doohan into the recording studios to voice Scotty's lines from the STO "Night of the Comet" episode. It's been suggested previously. Example: sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1144241

* Redressing the TOS Enterprise bridge/interiors for a Pike-era mission. Imagine playing alongside Pike, Spock, Number One, Dr. Boyce, and others from TOS's "The Cage", er... "The Menagerie, Parts I and II." ;)

* Bring John DeLancie into the recording studio to get voice-overs done for the Q appearances within STO. Make Q a catalyst to celebrating Star Trek's 50th anniversary.

* Instead of TOS, revisit the ENT era. Craft a time-travel mission around the launch of the upgraded NX-01 (with Doug Drexler's suggested upgrades). Bring members of the cast for voice-overs.

You could even follow-up with a Delta Quadrant mystery involving the discovery of the missing ENT-era U.S.S. Columbia (NX-02). Having holodeck interactions with ENT characters to piece together what was reported centuries before, as you piece together what might have happened. (Then again, this may infringe too heavily on the Trek novels which originated this idea.)

What thoughts/ideas do the rest of you have?

It takes advanced planning, budgeting and scheduling to get updates into an MMO, like Star Trek Online. I'm hoping the playerbase can provide some ideas so they can be considered for Star Trek's 50th anniversary.

removed quote colors so i can respond to clors with my own replies to avoid confusion.

it wont happen.

John and Keegan are not interested, so only a facsimile what you will get.

that columbia thing is from another non canon source, it would require looking around and asking permission. also wouldnt happen, i think cryptic is done with that asking permission stuff.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014