test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Monthly Screenshot Contest: October - Submit Yours Now!

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Art of Star Trek Online
Starting October 1st, 2014, we begin our next Screenshot Contest for the month of October! This thread will remain open until the contest entry phase closes on October 31st, Halloween!.

This month we have a very special theme for my favorite Holiday. Our theme will be reward a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner! Each user may submit ONE ENTRY. Users who post multiple entries need to define which image is for the entry and which are simply to show off to other users.

October's Theme: Halloween Celebration!

Halloween is fast approaching, and here in the office of PWE we are gearing up our decorations, and looking forward to our big costume party. Hearts & Minds is on it's way to spook our players, and don't forget to play What Lies Beneath my little Bonnie-kins for that extra creepy factor.

Since we love Halloween so much, we want to theme this month's screenshot contest to match! Show us what you've got, scary alien creations, shots from your scary Foundry stories, perhaps you are a friendly Klingon handing out candy on Qo'nos? Or a Starfleet officer who has a snazzy costume that makes you look like a popular literary character? Show us what you've got! Bust out those Photoshop skills and put some scary/ spooky twist on your favorite areas in STO, or your bridge, or your Fleet Starbase. Maybe your Captain's quarters are being haunted by Devidians? Or maybe you are just a simple Romulan farmer who wants to celebrate the Harvest Moons above your colony. The possibilities are endless, and we cannot wait to see what you can show us.

IMPORTANT NOTE

Make sure your pictures are created using the method described below as I need the images to be a certain size in order to make good quality wallpapers for the winner. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SIZE 1920x1200 OR LARGER.

Prizes!

1st Prize = 1000 ZEN + Your screenshot gets made into an Official STO Wallpaper!

2nd Prize = 1000 ZEN

3rd Prize = 500 ZEN

These screenshots can be your chance to showcase your skills as a designer with custom UI placement, special effects, photography style filters or anything you can produce to wow the team.

All entries should be placed in this thread. Any posts not containing an entry, or not staying within these rules will be removed at the end of the contest to leave only the individual entries.

Basic Rules:
  • All Entries must be 1920x1200 minimum size. This is to maintain the Pixel Aspect Ratio need for our staff to convert these into the 4 wallpaper sizes we upload to the Arc Media Gallery. We can make a special custom size for our winners if your screen resolution is a different size, but this will only be done by the request of the user who submits their image.
  • Images not meeting the minimum size will not qualify for the grand prize wallpaper as we cannot convert your entry if the Pixel Aspect Ratio is not compatible.
  • One entry per month per forum user. If your image doesn't win, you are welcome to resubmit it the following month as your one entry.
  • All entry images must be submitted in JPEG form. Layered PSDs will be excepted if you win the 1st prize place so that we can create the accompanying wallpaper properly. If you wish to create a custom border or UI interface, etc., you will have to bake it into the image when saving it as JPEG, but save the PSD for us later if needed.
  • All submitted images must be made of only material from Star Trek Online.
    • No images containing visual material from the TV/Movies, outside artwork or any licensed material from any other source will be excepted.
    • No custom 3D models or textures can be used in this contest. The image must contain in-game material.
  • Keep it classy Star Trek fans.

Instructions on How To Create A Screenshot & Insert It Here:

• All images must measure 1920x1200 for submission or larger.
  • Images should be of high resolution quality. Recommended method:
    • Type "/renderscale 2" into your chat window before taking your image
    • Type "/screenshot" to take image
    • This will create a large TGA file in the directory listed below that can be converted via Photoshop to 1920x1200.
    • If you wish to utilize another method like "Print Screen" you will want to turn off your HUD visuals by hitting Shift +F12
    • (you will find your images in C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\screenshots on most PC computers)

Good luck to everyone who enters!

NOTE:The above rules and conditions are subject to change.

~CaptainSmirk

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, when we can we have a contest that is just for pure and raw screenshots instead of photoshopping?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    So, when we can we have a contest that is just for pure and raw screenshots instead of photoshopping?

^^Most folks don't have access to Photoshop nor the proper skills to use it, which leaves those folks at a disadvantage to people like me (I've taken a semester of Photoshop, I can do some epic stuff). Just simply using color correction already makes a shot so much better over a raw one, not to mention the ability to use all of Photoshop's other abilities. I would say alternate, have one month be for raw shots, the next month for shopped photos.

P.S. Smirk, I just wanted to make sure you saw that I replied to your forum mails from last week.

Also, here is something I did in Photoshop quite easily which most other people would never be able to even get close to doing (yes, that is Ashkrik's face) (this is not my entry):

ZiraKitten_zpsef3e106b.png

Again, this is not my entry for the contest. I'm just demonstrating how Photoshoppers have an advantage.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • midnighttlcmidnighttlc Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My entry:

@midnighttlc AKA STO Admiral Aaron

Screenshot taken from foundry mission ADRIFT

ScreenshotContest_zps07f7c4c8.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad45/midnighttlc84/ScreenshotContest_zps07f7c4c8.jpg
  • highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And here is my Entry, my Xindi Ship in front of the Earth Space Dock :D

sto_co11.jpg

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/18/58/22/90/sto_co11.jpg
  • mrmoonsin01mrmoonsin01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just a quick tip for those that don't have Photoshop.
    Autodesk Pixlr

That's what I use during the interim of a system restore and not having Photoshop installed due to laziness. It's pretty powerful for what it is. And it's free.

You're all welcome.

On a different note - Not feeling its worth entering, entered August and one of the winners didn't even have a MVS, but was instead looking through a window. Seems like the rules / conditions feel a bit half arsed.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cant i just post a close up of my mug, im sure that is scary enough, it should win hands down :P.

see what i can do ingame.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I made the tga file but I have nothing I can do with it. I don't want to have to buy photoshop for no reason and none of the free programs seem to work.

Is there any help or anything that can make these competitions more inclusive?
  • sonofcodhsonofcodh Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hello , this is my entry.

drzu_5.jpg
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    I made the tga file but I have nothing I can do with it. I don't want to have to buy photoshop for no reason and none of the free programs seem to work.

Is there any help or anything that can make these competitions more inclusive?

Use /screenshot_jpg

And you can get Gimp for free, does a great job.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • andyp85pneandyp85pne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Here are my entries for screenshot contest.

Temporal10.jpg

Temporal7.jpg

Temporal9.jpg

Temporal4.jpg

More coming soon...

"The Needs Of The Many Out Way The Needs Of The Few!"
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Is it really that hard to read the contest rules before entering?
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • dauntlessf05dauntlessf05 Member Posts: 268 Media Corps
    edited October 2014

This... good lord.
    Check out my STO Cinematic Videos: ZEFilms Youtube Channel
    Follow me on Twitter: @ZEFilms_STO
  • linethexlinethex Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Do you mean "accepted," as in 'allowed/permitted,' or "excepted," as in 'not included?" Kind of important. ;)
  • sirdante77sirdante77 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    'Mother' Ship and its babies screenshot_2014-09-20-06-40-47.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Why should this month be any different than any of the other months? :rolleyes:
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ok, not big enough to be an official entry, but the scariest damn thing I've ever seen! (when I went to see how many Rare foods I had in my inventory) :D

Tribbles_zps1b4ca148.jpg
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    edited October 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Use /screenshot_jpg

And you can get Gimp for free, does a great job.

No need my computer's resolution was more than enough.

So for Hallowe'en, how about the Devil in a timeship.

Velid.jpg?_subject_uid=344004048&w=AAC_OxanShaDveCw12eNp4s2VQ8lWFg8-06pLT1HexeI3Q

Link https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hskyttiaekg3he/Velid.jpg?dl=0
  • drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • leonidasbl28leonidasbl28 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hubhubhbbuhbuhubuhubhubuhubhububhuhbubuhbub
    10689546_10152769213779204_8021101738197182306_n.jpg?oh=ccde26594d9602d8f464bfdc39c22d01&oe=54B053AA&__gda__=1421485823_556fc144903321c07b2dbd88c098a9db
    10702222_10152769214939204_220587085569345551_n.jpg?oh=130ad837c13fea6560baaab7b705f39c&oe=54B5595D&__gda__=1422001622_9726d695264131285609f5e172971309
    edited October 2014
    andyp85pne wrote: »
    Here are my entries for screenshot contest.

More coming soon...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it isn't it one entry per person...
  • lisslelissle Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    NH2CNb.jpg

]I went with a spooky Risan scene that touched up some
    ****The other two are the same Picture been trying to get it uploaded correctly.

Trouble-In-Risa-486026338

http://jake1976.deviantart.com/art/Trouble-In-Risa-486026338
  • space2000space2000 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi I'm happy that STO updated the dreadnought cruiser I'm having lot of fun using it, so i made this photo of my dreadnought cruiser firing it's spinal lance.

My Photo's Size: 2720X1536

My Entry:

Dreadought%2BSpinal%2BLance%2BJPEG.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4tKcAK5A17I/VC4tWy8l-dI/AAAAAAAAADw/csJ2c_yYupw/w1438-h812-no/Dreadought%2BSpinal%2BLance%2BJPEG.jpg

i2YzHDqmu-v-_Wr3Fj95o8CJ-JkXHrVYQd-k0zJtFQ=w712-h259-p-no
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    m12Pkoj.png
  • xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    me and some friends we come to visit one guy balled bonikinnn:rolleyes:

prueba1_zps53545836.jpg
    nexus.jpg

• spartand1994spartand1994 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My entry: A Borg cube hiding in a Borg Nebula
    In-game handle: @spartand1994

qi4Pv9Ll.jpg

Full Res
  • starfoxnlstarfoxnl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    CwhfPr2.jpg

I do not know how you manage that. but it's genius! :D

Tuvok: "Trick or threat, Dr cooper."

Cooper: :eek:
    "Launch data androids, full spread!"
    (thought came to mind after the scene in "nemesis")
  • drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    starfoxnl wrote: »
    I do not know how you manage that. but it's genius! :D

Tuvok: "Trick or threat, Dr cooper."

Cooper: :eek:

Tnx, i popped a disco ball, so the hands was for the dance move :)
  • motiakmotiak Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ZnodrVu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZnodrVu.jpg

-McFearson@akmoti
  • argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wow, way to read the conditions of the contest;

I've pulled this entry of mine as i'm preparing a better one for my entry of choice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daka86daka86 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    va2ukjv185or0pufg.jpg

39umsri3jdum674fg.jpg

2sko149r3lhqys6fg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.