test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crafting - Upgrading Vs. Constructing

johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
So with the new crafting update, a thought has occured to me; is it better to build items at Mk XII and above, or build items at say Mk II and upgrade said items to Mk XII? For example - it costs a ton of resources and Dilithium to craft a Mk XII Beam Array, and unless you're pretty high level in beams, you're not guaranteed a Purple or above quality item.

But even if you're like me, at about level 12 or so, there's a 98% chance that a Mk II beam array be a VR or above item. And seeing as Mk II items cost peanuts, not getting a VR, or not getting the modifiers you really wanted, isn't as big a deal as it is when you dump a fortune into a Mk XII beam array and get naff modifiers or a blue item.

So to me, it makes more sense to build low and get all the things you want and upgrade it to Mk XII than it does risking precious materials on a Mk XII.

Anyone else feeling like this?
You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
Post edited by johngazman on

Comments

• Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Would certainly be an interesting experiment.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you're going for gold, it might be better to craft a low level item, since there are more chances for its rarity to increase with each upgrade. Otherwise, it's probably not worth it.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm leveling a toon and upgrading (some) the gear as he goes. I already have a VR neutronium at level 22. I plan on leveling this toon slowly, so I'll get the most out of his gear. If I was going to power level him I would say it's not worth it.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I got my first Ultrarare crit in about 10 tries. So I like the idea of upgrading. I have got a bunch of purple 10 stuff to work on. It saves on VR materials as well in most cases.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."